Pat Summitt’s Full Court Press

Great read. I had forgotten about this case. Back then east T. news of this kind was only covered to any extent by Nashville news outlets "over here". Seem to remember seeing something in the Commercial Appeal (Memphis). I went and followed women's basketball back then for many reasons. It helped that it was and is played just before the boy's game. I think the game women play now is more nearly "basketball" as I know it than the men's game. Watching the current Olympic men's basketball it seems nearly as rough as football, do they ever call walking or carrying the ball?

I did not know Pat was inVOLved in getting the change made, but I was in high school in Alabama (graduated 1970) when girls were still forced to play this way, and there were no state tournaments for them. In fact, I don't believe high school girl' teams even existed, never mind played against each other! At the time, I thought it was a crazy way to play the game. When we played at church youth group (we met in the "Boy's Club" LOL) we girls played full court with no mishaps. I loved playing full court, especially against the guys, one of whom was a high school basketball center. It seemed to disconcert him to be guarded closely by someone with a female shape!

When my high school boys' team went to the state championship in Tuscaloosa my junior year of high school, some of us girls went to the dorm of one of the girls' sisters. Her "dorm mother" made a comment we all thought was so funny--she said she loved watching girls' teams play basketball. It was funny because we knew of NO girls high school teams!

When we played at church youth group (we met in the "Boy's Club" LOL) we girls played full court with no mishaps.

I wonder what the protocal was for when uteri just plopped out on the floor! Do you call a technical or what?

And where did all that worry come from in the first place? I can remember in 6th grade, a classmate's father just went ballistic when his daughter got a whipping in class. He told the teacher & principal they could have damaged her reproductive system by spanking her on the butt! After that, there were no more spankings at that school.

For those of you who are young during that time period many doctors still considered pregnancy as an illness.

I did not know Pat was inVOLved in getting the change made, but I was in high school in Alabama (graduated 1970) when girls were still forced to play this way, and there were no state tournaments for them. In fact, I don't believe high school girl' teams even existed, never mind played against each other! At the time, I thought it was a crazy way to play the game. When we played at church youth group (we met in the "Boy's Club" LOL) we girls played full court with no mishaps. I loved playing full court, especially against the guys, one of whom was a high school basketball center. It seemed to disconcert him to be guarded closely by someone with a female shape!

When my high school boys' team went to the state championship in Tuscaloosa my junior year of high school, some of us girls went to the dorm of one of the girls' sisters. Her "dorm mother" made a comment we all thought was so funny--she said she loved watching girls' teams play basketball. It was funny because we knew of NO girls high school teams!

The key to making sense of this is "went to high school in Alabama"

.... I think the game women play now is more nearly "basketball" as I know it than the men's game. Watching the current Olympic men's basketball it seems nearly as rough as football, do they ever call walking or carrying the ball?

Men's pro and Olympic basketball has become a joke... While the women's game has progressed.

I can't even stomach watching Lebron get breathed on and it is a foul, yet a non-named player can be assaulted and it is ignored. . . Both men and women can now dribble the ball with a full carry. Carrying the ball was described to me by the head of the Atlanta refs assoc in this manner" If your pickup of the up-dribble goes beyond a "handshake" it is a carry. I now see both genders dribble the ball from a pickup that is fully under it on the up-bounce.

I watched the men's game and often turned it off. To see what was once an unbeatable American team, now beating the likes of Serbia by single-digits. . . While the women's team pounded anyone in their way.

20 Years ago our dream-team reps looked invincible. . . Now they're just barely winning games.
Right now our women's team looks invincible. . . I hope they don't get complacent too.

It almost always boils down to attitude ... The women walked on the court like they owned it, while the men walked on the same court like they were renting it.

If our men sent the best of the best and they played hard, it would be nothing but blowouts. But when we send our 2nd or 3rd team players, the rest of the world's men's programs have developed enough good players to make it competitive.

On the women's side, the rest of the world is far behind in development. Countries will have an occasional one or two really good players but not enough to field a team to compete with our best women. Not even our 2nd or 3rd teams. If other countries continue to work to develop the game, they will eventually be competitive.

If our men sent the best of the best and they played hard, it would be nothing but blowouts. But when we send our 2nd or 3rd team players, the rest of the world's men's programs have developed enough good players to make it competitive.

On the women's side, the rest of the world is far behind in development. Countries will have an occasional one or two really good players but not enough to field a team to compete with our best women. Not even our 2nd or 3rd teams. If other countries continue to work to develop the game, they will eventually be competitive.

I'm curious about the rules that determine what teams go to the Olympics. In beach volleyball, a country can send multiple teams, like Brazil did this year & the U.S. has in the past. In basketball, I guess it's FIBA that decides what teams ultimately go to the Olympics. ... but who decides what teams go to the FIBA tournaments? What keeps the U.S. from sending multiple basketball teams? Well, I'm sure the answer boils down to "money", but who calls the shots here?

How many all-star wbb teams could the U.S. send before another country could start beating a U.S. team?

Don't know if anybody was following, but her home is almost sold and for whatever reason, her Will is now public. I didn't know where she lived, but I figured as famous and wealthy as she was, she lived in a gated community with security. Yet another example of how down to earth she really was.
Pat Summitt's will leaves 'personal property' to Tyler Summitt
Legendary Lakefront Home

What a beautiful home. So sad that she's not still enjoying it.

And why did someone find it necessary to start discussing men's basketball in a thread memorializing Pat Summitt's achievements?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Your first sentence "If our men ... played hard,,,,,

It is the rarest of circumstance for me in coaching females, for one to not play hard and give her best.

The occasional laugh-a-thons, gotta have them too. That's what makes the job fun. The moments where everybody puts their guards down. Those are great.

But when you put them on the floor, you get their best if you request it.

Reactions: 1 person
It is the rarest of circumstance for me in coaching females, for one to not play hard and give her best.

But when you put them on the floor, you get their best if you request it.

True x1,000.

This is one of the reasons some prefer to coach girls/women. It is very rare she will not give you all she has. Guys are great, not knocking them, but I have heard over and over from various coaches, the girls will give their all. Hope it stays that way:dance2:.
Go Lady Vols!!

VN Store

Back