Geno on Parker's absence

No use crying over it, but Geno is full of B.S. Parker being left off the team is just another shot at Tenn. JMO.

Reactions: 14 people
No use crying over it, but Geno is full of B.S. Parker being left off the team is just another shot at Tenn. JMO.

Not a shot at Tennessee but clearly a shot at Parker.

At the end of the day, he's right that they had to make tough decisions. He just made sure that his pets were excluded from that pool.

Reactions: 7 people
Wow! That is his explanation! Candace is playing awesome basketball right now for the Sparks. Can't say the same for Taurasi and her team right now. Catchings will represent the USA well, just wish CP could be there with her! I hope CP and the Sparks win the WNBA championship! By the way how many times does Geno get to coach in the Olympics? Just wondering!

Reactions: 3 people
Y'all can dissect Geno's musings all you like. I already know that he's a Tennessee Hater of the First Order. That is why Candace is not on the team. Duh...But thanks for posting just the same as I probably would had overlooked something even more interesting and a fun read.

Now this is a story!
"Duke coach blasts Geno Auriemma, UConn, ex-players."

Duke coach blasts Geno Auriemma, UConn, ex-players - Swish Appeal

LOL! I just saw that underneath the stupid geno article.

A must read, indeed. And I don't even like coach McCallie but I like her now just for that story. :)

Reactions: 1 person
Geno is FOS. He likes to stack the team with his uconn vets--he has always done that. Sue Bird must be 40 years old: You can't find one other talented guard in America who deserves a shot at the Olympics--you HAVE to pick Bird for, like the sixth time? It's a joke.

Reactions: 8 people
he didn't say anything that I saw, and yea CP is better than any of the newcomers,,,,go Tamika!!! who cares about the outcome

Wow! That is his explanation! Candace is playing awesome basketball right now for the Sparks. Can't say the same for Taurasi and her team right now. Catchings will represent the USA well, just wish CP could be there with her! I hope CP and the Sparks win the WNBA championship! By the way how many times does Geno get to coach in the Olympics? Just wondering!

Well, Jeez, it's hard for Taurasi to play well when she's suspended (again) for accumulating technicals.

Reactions: 11 people
Where are the U-trolls to insist that Geno HAD NOTHING TO DO WHATSOEVER with the decision to not roster Candace parker. You know, he was just waiting to get the final team line-up via email from the mysterious entity who chose the teams.

"Love" the pivot he made from the Sparks success to praising Ogwumike, as though Candace is incidental. As for well, you just can't predict these things in advance, Parker had a stellar track record with the US Team and she was on everyone's (with the exception Geno) short list for top women's player in the world. So yeah. you kinda can predict....

Reactions: 7 people
This UConn fan is done trying to get into it on a thread with with posters who say things like "Just hoping for him to get that first skeeter bite" Does your hatred have no bounds?

But just to provide some more insight into Auriemma's thinking here's link: Not Much Prep Time, But Geno Confident Olympic Team Is The Right Mix - Hartford Courant

I think this quote gives a clue about Auriemma's thinking:

But he (Auriemma) does not worry about his star-studded roster fighting for the ball. Auriemma said he loves this team because players will adapt to any role.

"It's a lot like a great orchestra," Auriemma said. "Everybody is playing their particular instrument and may be the best in the world at that. But that doesn't mean that you get to do your own thing because all of a sudden it's not an orchestra anymore. It's just a bunch of individuals trying to show how good they are. Everybody on this team, the reason they're on this team is because they understand that.

"They are really, really good at sizing up the situation and saying, what does this team need from me?" Auriemma said. "Not like, this is what I do on my team so this is what I'm going to do here. No, [it's], what does this team need from me and how do I complement everyone else. And we're very, very fortunate that the players that we have really, really think that, feel it, buy into it, and live it every day."

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
This UConn fan is done trying to get into it on a thread with with posters who say things like "Just hoping for him to get that first skeeter bite" Does your hatred have no bounds?

But just to provide some more insight into Auriemma's thinking here's link: Not Much Prep Time, But Geno Confident Olympic Team Is The Right Mix - Hartford Courant

Yeaaaaaa this pretty much sums it up for me.....Geno thinks Parker is a self-absorbed, ball hogging diva, that's only a "me" type of player, that he didn't want to deal with or to be a part of the Olympic team, so he told the committee..."NO Parker"....in so many words!!

We could put a whole other team of WNBA all stars on the floor and still win the Olympics. I wish this decision could somehow back fire for Geno!

Reactions: 5 people
Yeaaaaaa this pretty much sums it up for me.....Geno thinks Parker is a self-absorbed, ball hogging diva, that's only a "me" type of player, that he didn't want to deal with or to be a part of the Olympic team, so he told the committee..."NO Parker"....in so many words!!

We could put a whole other team of WNBA all stars on the floor and still win the Olympics. I wish this decision could somehow back fire for Geno!

Yeah in other words that pretty much sums it up.

Reactions: 3 people

Any team that doesn't include Candace Parker is not the best team you can put on the floor. None of the excuses you make will change that. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why she would be a problem to have on the team.

Reactions: 6 people
Y'all can dissect Geno's musings all you like. I already know that he's a Tennessee Hater of the First Order. That is why Candace is not on the team. Duh...But thanks for posting just the same as I probably would had overlooked something even more interesting and a fun read.

Now this is a story!
"Duke coach blasts Geno Auriemma, UConn, ex-players."

Duke coach blasts Geno Auriemma, UConn, ex-players - Swish Appeal

LOL! I just saw that underneath the stupid geno article.

A must read, indeed. And I don't even like coach McCallie but I like her now just for that story. :)

Wasn't that the fallout between Pat & Geno--him tampering with Tennessee players or otherwise tampering with her recruits? Been so long now I've forgotten.

As a matter of fact, no, my hate as you called it, has no bounds. I've always given him kudos for being a good coach but mostly because he's an azz.

Reactions: 1 person
Wasn't that the fallout between Pat & Geno--him tampering with Tennessee players or otherwise tampering with her recruits? Been so long now I've forgotten.

Yes the only player that I know of is Maya Moore. Could be others, though I just don't know.

In that article he doesn't mention Candace's name just talks in code in referring to her.

I am hoping that Candace wins a WNBA championship. That would help to put any doubts away that Geno/Olympic committee were wrong with their decision.

He's baaaack....linkie dinkie had disappeared for a while but now he's back saying he's done posting. LMAO.

Reactions: 2 people
Geno is FOS. He likes to stack the team with his uconn vets--he has always done that. Sue Bird must be 40 years old: You can't find one other talented guard in America who deserves a shot at the Olympics--you HAVE to pick Bird for, like the sixth time? It's a joke.
It's not about love or hate, it's about UConn women basketball. I.E. when you come to UConn, you go for pro, you go for endorsements, you go for gold. It's about recruiting.....

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back