Tennessee Soccer 2016 Season Thread

UTKVolsfan2013

So we are are 3 weeks from the first exhibition match against Clemson (August 13th) and just under 4 weeks from the first regular season match against Southeast Missouri State (August 19th). With the season being right around the corner I thought I'd start a thread about this team that has so much potential. Potential is the key word though.

After a season of what seemed to be a never ending injury report to key players (Hannah Wilkinson, Michele Christy, Maya Neal) Tennessee comes into this season with a good mix of veterans and young talent ready to burst on to the scene. Health will be incredibly key this year if Tennessee wants to get back to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2012, and the return of those who missed the entire season last year can help Tennessee achieve that goal.

The schedule is a very solid one that features 3 non-conference matches against NCAA tournament teams (Liberty, Washington, and BYU) and a loaded SEC schedule that features 5 of the 6 SEC teams that made the NCAA tournament a year ago (LSU, Florida, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Auburn). The Lady Vols have an ample amount of opportunities to secure key results that can give them a berth to the tournament.

Now on to my projection of formation, lineup, and key subs and players. I believe Coach Pensky will go with a 4-3-3 because of the 3 talented center mids he has (Carlyn Baldwin, Christy, and Katie Cousins) and it has been his favored formation the past couple of seasons. However I could easily see him going with a 4-4-2 (if you want to show your favored lineup, go ahead). Now my projected starting XI: 4-3-3
GK-Jamie Simmons
RB-Mackenzie Gouner
CB-Anna McClung
CB-Kathryn Culhane
LB-Emily Morrow
DCM: Carlyn Baldwin
CM: Katie Cousins
CM: Michele Christy
LF: Meghan Flynn
CF: Hannah Wilkinson (Anna Bialczak while Wilkinson is at the Olympics)
RF: Anna Bialczak/Ariel Kuprtiz

Key Subs: Maya Neal, Erin Gilroy, Danielle Marcano, MA Vignola, Emily Cervantes, Rylie O'Keefe

Player(s) That Could Breakout: Mackenzie Gouner and Meghan Flynn. Both have great pace, physicality, and can be absolute terrors on the wing.

Three freshman to look out for are Erin Gilroy, MA Vignola, and Emily Cervantes. Gilroy and Vignola are ranked in the top 150 of their class. Cervantes is a two-time Wisconsin Gatorade Player of the Year and scored 147 goals in her high school career (in three years due to an injury her senior year).

The key for this team will be trying to create offensive opportunities and goals that are not scored by Hannah Wilkinson. In the past couple of seasons it has seemed that the team was just looking for Wilkinson to create something by herself, she will get her goals but she needs help from her teammates. Being able to possess the ball in the midfield and create consistent scoring opportunities will relive some pressure off a defense that historically under Pensky has been really good.

Reactions: 5 people
Wow! Another soccer fan! Great to see your post. This is a BIG year for Pensky and the Vols. The team needs to start playing better and winning more SEC games. Pensky has ratcheted up the recruiting demonstrably--but I wasn't impressed by the team I saw last year--at all. Injuries were one problem, mediocre players at key positions was another problem, and I thought Pensky made some bad personnel and formation decisions. You can't say that Neal was a "key" player or injury as she was a true freshman; Christy and Wilkinson, yes, but not Neal. That's not to say that she won't be a good player for us--I don't know.

RE Centerback, why are you putting McClung at that spot? Did she play there in the spring? I've been very curious about who is going to start in that position along with the dependable Culhane. I'd be surprised if it is McClung as she's been a forward her entire career--she'd be playing a brand new position. I thought rising soph Tatum Wagner, who played forward last year, might be good in that spot--but she has transferred. Four players from the strong 2015 signing class have already transferred--at least two, maybe more, because they probably weren't going to get much playing time, especially with Wilkinson surprisingly getting another year of eligibility. Last year the personnel situation was a mess--Pensky never seemed to get a handle on who should be playing forward, and we really weren't very good anywhere on the field. We had a solid but not great back four (Culhane was probably our best overall player), and our attack with just plain weak.

Pensky does like the 4-3-3--but I'm not sure why as it has not been a very effective formation for us. More specifically, there is no way, IMO, that a midfield of Baldwin, Cousins and Christy will make us a good team. Baldwin and Cousins were both highly recruited, both have been to recent under 20 national team training camps, Cousins might even make the NT squad--but both are very overrated IMO. They both lack pace and athleticism. Cousins is strong on the ball and savvy, she has some qualities, for sure--but she wasn't even the best freshman on our team last year (I'd rate her maybe the third or fourth best first-year player) much less the supposed No. 1 recruit in the country. Neither she nor Baldwin did /anything/ in attack last year. She does not have enough pace and athletic dynamism to be center mid, IMO. I think Cousins should be a defensive midfielder in a four-man midfield, replacing Baldwin. I thought Baldwin was good as a freshman but not very good last year. She is a defensive midfielder and works hard, but she's coming off multiple ankle surgeries and she has developed a habit of dropping too deep and playing too far off the ball (not wanting to get beat, perhaps). Getting Christy back will help in midfield, but I can't see her, Baldwin and Cousins being that effective--though it is entirely possible that they will be our starting three.

That would push O'Keefe into a sub role: she played a ton last year as a true freshman and was good--she is athletic, nimble, but very slight of build and got muscled off the ball quite a lot. Interesting to see how much she plays. I thought the coaches were crazy not to play Marcano more last year at either center mid or forward: I thought she was the most talented freshman we had, she was the best Vol on the field in an early season game last year against Liberty--she was our only real offensive threat in a game in which we didn't score--and scoring has been a problem for us under Pensky. Her playing time went down as the season went on, even as our mids could not create any chances or get up the field. The coaches moved Bialczak from forward (where she was languishing from lack of service) to center mid late last year, after Baldwin got hurt again (I think)--and she brought a lot more athleticism to the position, even though it did not seem to be her natural position. She made runs--something that none of our other mids could realy do.

Gouner and Flynn were impressive as first-year players last year. Both are athletic and speedy. Gouner will be a major help at outside back--a position of weakness for UT last year. She is going to be a good player. Morrow, I suppose, will be the left back. She is no more than an average collegiate player, I'm afraid. She's just not big, athletic or fast enough to be a better than average player.

I think you're right about Flynn playing left forward (as she's left-footed)--and can definitely see Kupritz and Bialczak playing right forward. Kupritz is speedy and tough--she can beat defenders with runs-- but was raw last year--and she dripples with her head down too much. I'm not sure what to expect from Bialczak at that spot: she is very athletic and speedy, and so could be good. The Vols really need to become a better possession team, but we'll see. I'm sure we'll see the Vols whomping the ball toward Wilkinson a lot and hoping she can create chances. That has essentially been our attack when she is healthy. Let's hope that her knees hold up this year.

Here are my keys:

1) Who is going to be the 10--attacking/playmaking midfielder on this team? We didn't really have one last year, which was a major problem. I suspect it might be Christy. I can't say I remember enough about her play from two years ago to know what to expect, though she is solid. If it is Cousins, I think we will have problems. I noticed in the spring games--didn't see any--that we again were having trouble putting the ball in the net. We've had a pretty weak-to-mediocre midfield for two years and that has to change if we expect to be a good team this year. I'd like to see us play a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-2-1 (with Wilkinson as lone striker), and make better use of Marcano, who has excellent attacking skills and a big shot and could be very effective working in front of the box. We'll see.

2) Who is going to be the new centerback? As this is SUCH a key position, this is personnel decision that the coaches have to get right. We need /good/ play out of that spot, not just OK or average play. One of the big reasons florida has been strong for a couple of years as they've had TWO excellent center backs--and are an excellent possession team.

This team will be more athletic and talented, on paper, than any we've had in a while, but we've got to be better in every way than last year. Need to be lots better on corner kicks (both offensively and defensively), and need to be a lot better in possession in the attacking half. And we've got to score more goals. We averaged 1 goal a game in SEC play last year--that doesn't cut it and is why we didn't even make the SEC tourney.

Going all the way out west to play one game against a good Brigham Young team doesn't make much sense to me--and then the Vols fly back to Washington, D.C. to play American U. a day and a half later. BYU was very good last year, and so those will be a couple of tough games with the travel. Here's hoping that it call comes together and the Vols have a great year.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the outstanding posts. Haven't seen this much ink given to soccer...like...ever. The season should be us taking another step in the direction of a championship. Of course, I'm biased...:)

GO LADY VOLS!...yeah, I said it...:)

Reactions: 1 person
armchair I really do love reading your posts because they are so insightful and you make a lot of good points. I will answer back on some of your points.
- Anna McClung moving to R CB is something that did happen in the spring and I love a lot. Moving a forward to CB is something the USWNT loves to do (Julie Johnston for example) and also she'll give a great height boost back there at 5'11". I really do hope he starts her back there because I believe with her and Mackie back there they are able to boost our ability to possess out of the back.

-My lineup prediction is only what I think Brian will do, but I would love it if he had Anna Bialczak as the No. 10, she absolutely shredded Kentucky last year in that role. I believe she fits that role perfectly for us, it would be like her being Carli Lloyd and Hannah Wilkinson being Abby Wambach.

-Marcano also was a part of the injury bug and that limited her a lot through the season (you can PM me to discuss more), but when she did get in I agree with you that she was an offensive threat immediately as evidenced in the Liberty, Kentucky, and Belmont games.

The BYU to American game doesn't make sense on paper, but when you look at the amount of players on our roster from the Northern VA/DC area you pick up it's a game for them.

UTK: Very interesting to hear about McClung at centerback. I would never have predicted her at CB, but the coaches have seen a lot more of her than I have. I, for one, don't think height should be a top consideration for a CB--an ability to read the game is most important, perhaps followed by being quick and physical, and having the ball skills necessary to pass the ball out of the back--something we weren't very good at last year. Santorio was a pretty good CB--big, read the game fairly well, but her ball skills weren't really all that good.

But, yea, coaches do like to recruit a lot of mids and forwards for their athleticism and then move some of them to the back. That is precisely why I was thinking that Wagner would have been worth trying at CB, because she was an athletic forward with size and some ball skills AND she was young and could grow into the position as a rising soph. But now she is gone. McClung is a senior, and so Pensky will have to find someone to take her place next year. If you've played forward for years, going to the back four/CB can't be an easy transition. I also think there are a LOT of good club centerbacks nowadays--especially in the ECNL--and there is something to be said for putting players in positions to which they are accustomed--if they are talented. It seems risky to put a senior at a new and far different position, unless McClung has previous experience at the position, but we'll see. You can't overstate the importance of your two centerbacks.

Last year our forward position was a complete muddle, and with Wilkinson back that is no longer the case, as two forwards have left (Massey and Neal) and McClung has changed position.

As for Bialczak: Good grief, she made a HUGE difference in our midfield last year with her speed and runs down the middle of the field, something we didn't have before. It was nice to see her speed and athleticism being put to better use. We need to really get more out of her this year. And Marcano, too: She is very technical and clearly can put the ball in the net. I'd like to see her as an attacking midfielder in a 4-4-2--I think she'd flourish in that role. The Vols, overall, have talent. Let's hope Pensky can take advantage of it and build a cohesive team that can score more. I can't wait for the season.

Hannah Wilkinson played well in New Zealand's 0-2 loss to Team USA in the first game of Group G at the Olympics. Hannah had one shot on goal in her 82 minutes of playing time. I look forward to having her back in TN.

Hannah's next game: August 6th vs Colombia at 6pm CDT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Anybody going to the Clemson game? It won't be broadcast or streamed, alas. I'd like to hear who starts, what formation the Vols play--and comments about how we played as a team and individually. I'm particularly curious about how McClung will play at centerback--a position switch that will be crucial to our fortunes this year! Clemson should be a big test--they were very good last year and apparently return a lot of players. I'm also curious to see if UT is more dangerous/effective in attack. We need more goals this year.

Didn't see the game but Pensky seemed to play an offensive group tonight, with a 4-4-2 formation that I like. Unfortunately, we didn't generate much offense as we had only two shots for the game and no goals--same problem as last year. Cousins did not play, which was surprising--not sure why. Baldwin and talented freshman Gilroy and Vignola also did not play, apparently. I read that Bialczak collided with a Clemson player--hope she is OK.

Didn't see the game but Pensky seemed to play an offensive group tonight, with a 4-4-2 formation that I like. Unfortunately, we didn't generate much offense as we had only two shots for the game and no goals--same problem as last year. Cousins did not play, which was surprising--not sure why. Baldwin and talented freshman Gilroy and Vignola also did not play, apparently. I read that Bialczak collided with a Clemson player--hope she is OK.

I heard from a friend at another school that players selected to the U20 Women's National Team will not play for their schools this season because their training camp for their World Cup will begin in late October.

Yea, DeerPark: You may be right. Both Cousins and Baldwin were picked for the last two U20 national team training camps--but I didn't think the World Cup roster was finalized yet. (I frankly am very surprised that Baldwin was picked for the U20 training camp--she's coming off multiple ankle surgeries and wasn't terrible good last year, IMO.) I know that some colleges--including Stanford and (I think) UCLA and others--are NOT allowing their players to play for the U20 NT--the coaches want them on their college teams.

Another point is that the college regular season is OVER by late October, so it's a bit crazy that they might miss a full college season when nearly all of the SEC season will be completed by the beginning of the U20 training camp. This also raises the question of whether they will be redshirted or not. Not having Cousins this year will hurt the Vols--especially given how young our team is--and the Vols NEED to have a good year. We've not been very good for two years, and Pensky really needs to put together a good season.

LVs drop season opener to OVC opponent Southeast Missouri, 1-0. SEMO was 9-6-7 last season.

Last year we had a lot of forwards and, after Wilkinson got hurt, Pensky did not seem much clue who our best front two/three were. He tried various players and combinations and nothing really worked--partly because UT several problems in attack, including issues with our midfield and outside backs.

This year, after a raft of transfers, we suddenly have too few forwards. I think the news that Wilkinson was getting another year of eligibility send at least one or maybe even two of our forwards looking for other schools. Amy Neal, senior, transferred to Wa. State, where I think she started last night (3 shots, 0 goals). Rising soph Megan Massey, a highly rated prospect coming in last year, transferred to Colorado, where I think she started last night (0 shots, 0 goals, 0 assists). Christine Creighton, rising junior who was not playing much, transferred to Central Florida, where I don't think she played last night. Meanwhile, incoming freshman forward signee Emily Cervantes decided, perhaps only a few weeks ago, not to come to Tennessee. Why? Who knows--players and their families can be baffling.

Now, the Vols have only 5 forwards--one true freshman (Hairston, who played a little last night but hard to know what she brings), RS freshman (Neal, good potential), one junior (Kupritz---energetic but...) and two seniors--McClung, who has some qualities but does not start--and Wilkinson (who will help when she gets back in the lineup). With Wilkinson and McClung gone after this year, Pensky will be in the lurch again next year with only two experienced returning forwards.

Pensky has been recruiting well--but it doesn't help when you are losing two/three young players to transfers every year. Every program at every school has transfers, but we've had too many lately and they're contributing to the one step forward, one step back status of the program. The coach needs to settle the program a bit and, more specifically and pertinent to this team, find some scoring. Also, importantly, he and the staff need to find/develop another centerback. That is another key position where the Vols have little depth. The program has some talent and seems slowly to be improving--but we need more stability and to start putting the freakin' ball in the net. Right now the Vols are like a car that is trying to accelerate up a steep hill. Optimistically, one could say that it is a, er, Rocky path to the Top.

Yea, DeerPark: You may be right. Both Cousins and Baldwin were picked for the last two U20 national team training camps--but I didn't think the World Cup roster was finalized yet. (I frankly am very surprised that Baldwin was picked for the U20 training camp--she's coming off multiple ankle surgeries and wasn't terrible good last year, IMO.) I know that some colleges--including Stanford and (I think) UCLA and others--are NOT allowing their players to play for the U20 NT--the coaches want them on their college teams.

Another point is that the college regular season is OVER by late October, so it's a bit crazy that they might miss a full college season when nearly all of the SEC season will be completed by the beginning of the U20 training camp. This also raises the question of whether they will be redshirted or not. Not having Cousins this year will hurt the Vols--especially given how young our team is--and the Vols NEED to have a good year. We've not been very good for two years, and Pensky really needs to put together a good season.

All of the players selected for the USA U20 team will receive redshirts this season and, thanks to an exception provided by the NCAA, are not required to be enrolled as full-time students this fall but can still practice with their teams when they are in town. Pensky mentioned on the radio yesterday that Cousins is only taking a couple of classes.

The U20 team will have training camps in both September and October to prep for the World Cup, so would have missed significant time if they had tried to play.

I haven't followed up on it, but I was told by someone with USA soccer that only one player was not allowed by her coach to play for the U20 team over the redshirt issue.

It would hurt recruiting tremendously, especially with coaches that recruit the USA player pool and the Olympic Development Program, for a coach to forbid a player from participating in a junior national team. That's not the kind of bridge you want to burn as a coach.

You make a decent point about the national team participation, DeerPark: My basic point is that this is an important year for the program; we've not been good for three years, and really, really need to have a solid year--and that is going to be more difficult without Cousins. I read that Stanford is not allowing its best kids to play U20 this year--but it's true that most coaches do allow them/want them to play for the NT. Most of the players on the U20 teams come from more established programs, with more depth, than ours.

Now, on to the season. Call me crazy, but I re-watched last night's game with SE Missouri. Here's what I noticed:

Positives:

1) We completely controlled the game, but our offensive/scoring problems continue. They got a fluky goal, we could not score any goal despite having the ball about 65 percent of the time.

2) Our midfield play was considerably better than last year. Putting Bialczak in the midfield, getting Christy back, and getting Marcano on the field, have strengthened this unit. Bialczak played her tail off, was all over the field. She is our best athlete, but I think has played forward most of her soccer career and so is still understanding how to play in midfield. We need to make her more of an attacking threat--but that is true of all our midfielders and forwards.

3) We seem to be a better possession team than last year, thanks mostly to our improved midfield. We got more people into the attacking half of the field last night--and actually showed a bit of combination play in front of the opponent's goal, which was almost nonexistent last year.

4) K. Allen played well as our new centerback. She was physical and positionally sound. The only concern with her is that she's not all that quick and might be exposed by really talented forwards; we'll have to see. SE Missouri is a quick team that bothered us defensively, but they weren't much of a threat to our back four.

5) Flynn was a significant improvement at leftback over last year--and Gouner, when she returns, will be a significant improvement at right back. She did not play last night.

NEGATIVES:

1) We try to dribble the ball too much. Our players were dispossessed too much by quick SE Missouri defenders, especially in the first half. Need more one-touch play--get rid of the ball.

2) A. Kupritz is a forward who does not seem to really understand her position. She is hugely energetic, tough-minded, is good at pressing the opponent's back line--but running around the field willy-nilly is not really good soccer. She tries to dribble the ball entirely too much--and lost the ball many times last night trying to beat TWO defenders. That is not playing smart. Pass the freakin' ball, use your teammates and then move into space. Use the one-touch. Plays with her head down too much, which may be why she doesn't see defenders converging on her. Get your head up. Also, she needs to learn to finish shots. She muffed two decent chances last night--taking one shot with the wrong foot.

3) We need to get shots on goal and finish better. Marcano did some good things in the second half, but also muffed a good chance late in the game--volleying weakly. She missed the goal on another shot, as did Vignola once or twice. You can't squander chances.

3) Our crossing amounted to nothing. We sent quite a few crosses into the box--and nobody could do anything with any of them. Getting Wilkinson back, who has some height and size, should help.

4) Lastly, we just have to be better in front of the opponent's box. Make better decisions, find open space, be quicker getting to the ball and passing the ball. Marcano made a great pass to Neal in a channel left of goal, and had Neal quickly pushed the ball back to Marcano, we might have scored a goal. Instead, she held the ball too long, got double-team and ended up making a weak shot or pass that amounted to nothing. Marcano, for her part, was slow driving to the goal and calling for the ball. Two players, two mistakes on a play that started nicely--and an opportunity wasted.

Next game....

Last edited:
You make a decent point about the national team participation, DeerPark: My basic point is that this is an important year for the program; we've not been good for three years, and really, really need to have a solid year--and that is going to be more difficult without Cousins. I read that Stanford is not allowing its best kids to play U20 this year--but it's true that most coaches do allow them/want them to play for the NT. Most of the players on the U20 teams come from more established programs, with more depth, than ours.

Now, on to the season. Call me crazy, but I re-watched last night's game with SE Missouri. Here's what I noticed:

Positives:

1) We completely controlled the game, but our offensive/scoring problems continue. They got a fluky goal, we could not score any goal despite having the ball about 65 percent of the time.

2) Our midfield play was considerably better than last year. Putting Bialczak in the midfield, getting Christy back, and getting Marcano on the field, have strengthened this unit. Bialczak played her tail off, was all over the field. She is our best athlete, but I think has played forward most of her soccer career and so is still understanding how to play in midfield. We need to make her more of an attacking threat--but that is true of all our midfielders and forwards.

3) We seem to be a better possession team than last year, thanks mostly to our improved midfield. We got more people into the attacking half of the field last night--and actually showed a bit of combination play in front of the opponent's goal, which was almost nonexistent last year.

4) K. Allen played well as our new centerback. She was physical and positionally sound. The only concern with her is that she's not all that quick and might be exposed by really talented forwards; we'll have to see. SE Missouri is a quick team that bothered us defensively, but they weren't much of a threat to our back four.

5) Flynn was a significant improvement at leftback over last year--and Gouner, when she returns, will be a significant improvement at right back. She did not play last night.

NEGATIVES:

1) We try to dribble the ball too much. Our players were dispossessed too much by quick SE Missouri defenders, especially in the first half. Need more one-touch play--get rid of the ball.

2) A. Kupritz is a forward who does not seem to really understand her position. She is hugely energetic, tough-minded, is good at pressing the opponent's back line--but running around the field willy-nilly is not really good soccer. She tries to dribble the ball entirely too much--and lost the ball many times last night trying to beat TWO defenders. That is not playing smart. Pass the freakin' ball, use your teammates and then move into space. Use the one-touch. Plays with her head down too much, which may be why she doesn't see defenders converging on her. Get your head up. Also, she needs to learn to finish shots. She muffed two decent chances last night--taking one shot with the wrong foot.

3) We need to get shots on goal and finish better. Marcano did some good things in the second half, but also muffed a good chance late in the game--volleying weakly. She missed the goal on another shot, as did Vignola once or twice. You can't squander chances.

3) Our crossing amounted to nothing. We sent quite a few crosses into the box--and nobody could do anything with any of them. Getting Wilkinson back, who has some height and size, should help.

4) Lastly, we just have to be better in front of the opponent's box. Make better decisions, find open space, be quicker getting to the ball and passing the ball. Marcano made a great pass to Neal in a channel left of goal, and had Neal quickly pushed the ball back to Marcano, we might have scored a goal. Instead, she held the ball too long, got double-team and ended up making a weak shot or pass that amounted to nothing. Marcano, for her part, was slow driving to the goal and calling for the ball. Two players, two mistakes on a play that started nicely--and an opportunity wasted.

Next game....

As in other thread, some I agree with some I don't.

I didn't think anyone played well.

I thought the midfield gave away a ton of balls. I'm not sure they connected 60% of their passes which crushes any opportunity to build up an attack. There was way too much dribbling and they don't play simple balls to keep possession and get some rhythm and flow. The first touches were also weak and players regularly played into pressure rather than out of pressure. The mids and forwards regularly lost their marks on defense and in several cases led to SEMO having quality chances. I also thought we committed some careless fouls, one of which led to the SEMO goal. Additionally, there was no patience in the offensive half of the field. Constantly taking very low percentage shots and serving balls that had no business being played. Soccer is a game of numbers and we were regularly numbers down in the attack. It is akin to a 2 v 5 fast break in basketball where someone heaves a half court shot. There was never a circumstance in the attack where there were numbers forward and a piercing through ball played on a diagonal run to generate a legitimate scoring opportunity. In other words, the reason nobody was on the end of balls being served is that we never had numbers in the box and it was very easy for SEMO to corral the ball.

As for possessing the ball, if you watch great teams they will often connect 10-15+ passes before a shot is taken. I'm not sure there was a situation where UT connected on 6 or 7 passes let alone 15.

I'd also like to see more defensive pressure applied to opponent back line and midfield. I don't recall many turnovers we created with defensive pressure in our offensive half, which again is a numbers up issue.

Hopefully today they can right the ship against Liberty.

Last edited:
Here's a mind-blower: Savannah Jordan of florida has scored 65 goals in her career--and she's still got nearly all of this season to play! It's unbelievable. I've watched her play against the Vols, and it's really hard to see how she does it. She has decent pace and athleticism--but she is hardly special in either category. She seems strong and is definitely tough-minded, and I think she gets great service from her teammates. She is the consummate poacher--has an amazing knack for getting the ball in the net.

The Vols have an amazing knack for not putting the ball in the net. I don't think UT as a team as scored 65 goals over the last three years. Maybe just.... Pensky seems to putting emphasis on improving the attack, and it simply has to be better. We had 11 shots on frame against Liberty, so that is definitely an improvement. We have got some athleticism--and more to come when Wilkinson and Gouner get on the field. (Wilkinson always gets healthy just in time to play for the New Zealand national team, then gets back to Ktown and is hurt again. Maybe they are just resting her after her Olympic stint, but she is the UT phantom star. I think at least one and maybe two forwards transferred out because she was given an extra year, I think, so it would be nice if she could play for a change.

It's the soccer that has to get better--the patience, the decision-making, the positioning, the finishing. Bialczak and Marcano are two players in particular who are capable of scoring and need to do more to score or assist if the Vols want to achieve goals. And Kupritz has to improve her field awareness and do more than just run around the field wildly. Wilkinson, if and when she plays, will give us some badly needed size and heading ability in the box--a big area of weakness for UT last year and this year so far.

The Vols play 5 home games in the next 2.5-3 weeks--including their first two SEC games (bama and missouri, two games against local non-conference teams, and this week's Washington game. All are winnable. We should also match up well against American U in D.C. We also play BYU away--a game I can't see us winning, though I don't think the cougars are as good as last year (when they were very good). Our first away SEC game is at Georgia, which got handled by Clemson the other day. (Clemson has beaten three SEC teams in the last couple of weeks--us in an exhibition, auburn and georgia, giving up only 1 goal in the three matches. The early-season schedule, then, is favorable, and UT needs to take advantage.

Here's a mind-blower: Savannah Jordan of florida has scored 65 goals in her career--and she's still got nearly all of this season to play! It's unbelievable. I've watched her play against the Vols, and it's really hard to see how she does it. She has decent pace and athleticism--but she is hardly special in either category. She seems strong and is definitely tough-minded, and I think she gets great service from her teammates. She is the consummate poacher--has an amazing knack for getting the ball in the net.

The Vols have an amazing knack for not putting the ball in the net. I don't think UT as a team as scored 65 goals over the last three years. Maybe just.... Pensky seems to putting emphasis on improving the attack, and it simply has to be better. We had 11 shots on frame against Liberty, so that is definitely an improvement. We have got some athleticism--and more to come when Wilkinson and Gouner get on the field. (Wilkinson always gets healthy just in time to play for the New Zealand national team, then gets back to Ktown and is hurt again. Maybe they are just resting her after her Olympic stint, but she is the UT phantom star. I think at least one and maybe two forwards transferred out because she was given an extra year, I think, so it would be nice if she could play for a change.

It's the soccer that has to get better--the patience, the decision-making, the positioning, the finishing. Bialczak and Marcano are two players in particular who are capable of scoring and need to do more to score or assist if the Vols want to achieve goals. And Kupritz has to improve her field awareness and do more than just run around the field wildly. Wilkinson, if and when she plays, will give us some badly needed size and heading ability in the box--a big area of weakness for UT last year and this year so far.

The Vols play 5 home games in the next 2.5-3 weeks--including their first two SEC games (bama and missouri, two games against local non-conference teams, and this week's Washington game. All are winnable. We should also match up well against American U in D.C. We also play BYU away--a game I can't see us winning, though I don't think the cougars are as good as last year (when they were very good). Our first away SEC game is at Georgia, which got handled by Clemson the other day. (Clemson has beaten three SEC teams in the last couple of weeks--us in an exhibition, auburn and georgia, giving up only 1 goal in the three matches. The early-season schedule, then, is favorable, and UT needs to take advantage.

Jordan scores because she is technical, has great footwork and movement, and finishes. If I have a choice between skill and athleticism I take skill every time. That said, a big part of it is how Florida plays. They keep the ball, build up numbers, and have great patience. Watch how many times they will play the ball backwards in their offensive third to get a better look and a better run. The ability to recycle the ball and switching the point of attack in the final third, and having patience requires center backs that are great passers and technical mids that can play in tight spaces and have superior touches.

Keeping the ball, building from the back, moving the ball, and great patience. It all starts by being strong in the back. You simply can't be good in the midfield without first being good in the back. When you're weak in the back, the ball usually bypasses the mids because the backs just clear the ball and send the ball forward as far as they can. When forwards get the ball in that way it is always numbers down and a struggle to score.

Last edited:
Yet another anemic attacking performance results in yet another frustrating loss, this time 0-1 to Washington. I'm beginning to wonder if Pensky knows how to coach. He certainly doesn't know how to coach a team to score goals. We've played three teams--none of which will end the year any better better than average, AT BEST--and have scored a total of 1 goal--that coming late against mighty Liberty. We are hapless.

It's not like we don't have good players on the field. Indeed, in the vast majority of the games we play this year, we surely will have more individual talent than our opponents. We just do not know how to play well enough as a team; we simply do not play soccer that it good enough to win games. We have controlled the run of play in all three games, but our combination play is not good enough to break down defenses and create good chances, we make too many bad decisions with the ball--give it away too easily--and ultimately we have nobody that can make plays.

We were pretty lousy in the first half tonight, gave up a weird/brilliant goal as we did against Liberty--but had the ball in Washington's end nearly the entire second half. We had an amazing 13 corner kicks--and yet couldn't pull one lousy ball in the net. UT had two near-goals that were cleared away by Washington defenders when their keeper missed the ball or was out of position--but otherwise we did not make their goalie make one big save all night. Incredible. You've heard the expression: the sum is greater than the sum of its parts. We're the opposite.

The best news of the night was that Wilkinson finally returned to the lineup after missing close to two seasons. She at least gives us some size and physical presence in the box--which we otherwise completely lack. Problem is, as feared, the Vols want too often to just welp long passes down field toward her and hope she can make something happen. That's OK occasionally but we do it too much--and it doesn't result in goals. I thought she might have had a goal tonight on one good through pass to her: She had the ball running toward the Washington net, the Washington keeper came charging out, and I thought Wikinson could have chipped the ball over her with her left foot. In the end Wilkinson tried to take another touch with the ball instead of shoot, and the play came to nothing--as usual.

It was also good news that M. Gouner played for the first time. She is athletic and quick and had a very positive impact on the game from the right back spot, and she will help a lot moving forward. C. Baldwin also returned to the lineup tonight--and played nearly all of the first half and a good chunk of the second. Baldwin has this reputation for being a good player that dates back to her mid-teen years, and she has some youth national team training and playing experience, and she is passionate about the game and UT, which is wonderful. Alas, I fail to see how she makes us a better team. The one midfielder who probably should be playing more than anybody, IMO, is Marcano, as she has more attacking qualities than anybody we have. It hasn't clicked for her yet--I think her work rate needs to increase a bit--but I continue to believe she will put the ball in the net. I still have high hopes for Bialczak too, though they dimmed a bit tonight. She was converted from forward to midfield last year--and with her pace and athleticism she made our midfield better. She is the best athlete on the field in most games--but her technical skills seem to need a bit of improvement; her first touch is too often heavy, and her play-making skills don't seem quite what they should be. Both Bialczak and Marcano have potential, as do many of the players on this team--but the time is now.

The Vols are a young team. The core group is sophs starting their second year. That fact, combined with the fact that Wilkinson and Christy and still working rust off, and that Neal is only three games into her career, gives one hope that UT will start to develop the cohesion necessary to put the freakin' ball in the net and start winning games. Otherwise, we're heading for another lost soccer season.

Last edited:
Watched the UCLA-texas a&m game in college station. Wanted to see UCLA, which is annually loaded with talent (and yet, inexplicably, had an losing season last year), and the aggies. The crowd was huge--5,800 people in a stadium that holds about 3,800 or so (I think I heard), so it was standing room only. Texas a&m is a tough place to play because, unlike most facilities, there are spectator seats completely around the field; the fans are close to the field and because a&m is almost cultish about supporting its athletic teams--perhaps because it is an ROTC school that overcompensates in its constant effort to compete with the university of texas.

In any case, it was a good game. UCLA is very technical and poised, and I was impressed by their play. It's scary to think how good they'd be with Mallory Pugh, who postponed starting college because she plays --and well--for the women's national team. She is supposed to enroll in January but I don't see her playing much if at all for UCLA because she'll have plenty of money-making opportunities as a pro at age 18. We'll see. In any case, the Bruins are a lot better in attack than we are, that's for sure--in large part because they are patient and composed with the ball and don't make three passes and then give it to the other team. UCLA was the better possession team, and the better team in run of play--but it took a pretty late goal by the Bruins, with 7+ minutes left, to win the game 1-0. The Bruins moved the ball across the box--one attacker on the left side of the box slotting it sideways to an attacker in front of the box, who in turn slid a pass to an open attacker on the right--and she belted the ball into the upper-right hand corner of the next, beating the good A&M keeper. A&M did not threaten a lot in run of play, but they got 10 corner kicks, looked dangerous a couple times on counters and certainly could have got a result. They've got some talent and are well organized and well coached, but I think are beatable if we play well and figure out how to score. A big if....

Also, today, I see that Memphis beat 19th-ranked ole miss, and earlier in the season, a good clemson team handled both auburn and georgia. My early sense is that the SEC isn't as strong this year than last, but we'll have to see how things shake out when league competition begins. As I write that, I see that Arkansas--one of the worst teams in the conference last year, beat mighty duke tonight. That's a shocker, though arkansas, like mississippi state, always seems a weird place to play with its middle-of-nowhere atmosphere. Has to be the biggest upset of this young season!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Glad to see the Vols finally score some goals tonight, 3, in fact--and win a game, beating East Tennessee 3-2. This was one of the easiest games UT will have all year--the other will be Middle Tennessee in a few weeks. It sounds like the team made an effort to improve their corner-kick heading tonight, which was awful against Washington and cost UT a game that it should have won. O'Keefe, with four points, gets "man of the match"--and happy to see Marcano score a goal. Why she doesn't play more is a mystery. With Baldwin back, Pensky is now bringing Marcano in only to give Bialczak a rest. That seems absolutely crazy to me. Bialczak is the best athlete on the field most games, and should probably be playing 90 minutes a game if she can manage it. She and Marcano should be playing at the same time, IMO--that is, if Pensky wants to score goals and win games. I'm not sure why the coach of a team that has had chronic scoring problems keeps his most attack-minded midfielder on the sidelines most of the time, but there must be some good reason I fail to grasp. None of the current four starting four midfielders has shown a knack for scoring goals or creating assists. Their collective, cumulative point total--all of them, over the course of their UT career--barely tops 10 points. A couple of them are still in the early stages of their collegiate career, and a couple are in their third season.

It's off to BYU next, followed by American, and then the SEC season begins. To have ANY chance of making the NCAA tourney, UT will have to win at least four of the next five games. That means beating American in D.C., then bama (home game), then Middle Tennessee (home), then Georgia (away). After that comes Missouri at home--another game we probably have to win. I saw Missouri beat Colorado tonight. I wasn't overly impressed by the tigers in the first half--but they've got some speed up top and then ran roughshod over the Buffs in the second half before winning in overtime, 2-1. I was curious to see former Vol forward Megan Massey, who is now a starting midfielder for Colorado. Massey seems to have a high soccer IQ--but, man, she looked slow--as did her teammates. She does not get around the field very well.

Meanwhile, florida scored 4 goals and beat UCLA today in LA, 4-3. I think the winning goal was a UCLA own goal but sounds like florida played well after losing to Stanford 0-1 a couple of nights ago. Florida will thump us again this year, I'm afraid, and that won't be terrible if we can find a way to score goals and win the rest of our SEC games. That's the challenge.

Glad to see the Vols finally score some goals tonight, 3, in fact--and win a game, beating East Tennessee 3-2. This was one of the easiest games UT will have all year--the other will be Middle Tennessee in a few weeks. It sounds like the team made an effort to improve their corner-kick heading tonight, which was awful against Washington and cost UT a game that it should have won. O'Keefe, with four points, gets "man of the match"--and happy to see Marcano score a goal. Why she doesn't play more is a mystery. With Baldwin back, Pensky is now bringing Marcano in only to give Bialczak a rest. That seems absolutely crazy to me. Bialczak is the best athlete on the field most games, and should probably be playing 90 minutes a game if she can manage it. She and Marcano should be playing at the same time, IMO--that is, if Pensky wants to score goals and win games. I'm not sure why the coach of a team that has had chronic scoring problems keeps his most attack-minded midfielder on the sidelines most of the time, but there must be some good reason I fail to grasp. None of the current four starting four midfielders has shown a knack for scoring goals or creating assists. Their collective, cumulative point total--all of them, over the course of their UT career--barely tops 10 points. A couple of them are still in the early stages of their collegiate career, and a couple are in their third season.

It's off to BYU next, followed by American, and then the SEC season begins. To have ANY chance of making the NCAA tourney, UT will have to win at least four of the next five games. That means beating American in D.C., then bama (home game), then Middle Tennessee (home), then Georgia (away). After that comes Missouri at home--another game we probably have to win. I saw Missouri beat Colorado tonight. I wasn't overly impressed by the tigers in the first half--but they've got some speed up top and then ran roughshod over the Buffs in the second half before winning in overtime, 2-1. I was curious to see former Vol forward Megan Massey, who is now a starting midfielder for Colorado. Massey seems to have a high soccer IQ--but, man, she looked slow--as did her teammates. She does not get around the field very well.

Meanwhile, florida scored 4 goals and beat UCLA today in LA, 4-3. I think the winning goal was a UCLA own goal but sounds like florida played well after losing to Stanford 0-1 a couple of nights ago. Florida will thump us again this year, I'm afraid, and that won't be terrible if we can find a way to score goals and win the rest of our SEC games. That's the challenge.

The Vols scored some goals but they weren't from the run of play. This roster has athletes but the athletes aren't good soccer players. The reason this team struggles to score is the same reason they struggle to possess the ball and string passes together. They aren't good soccer players. Bad first touches, poor passers, no patience, low soccer IQ. This is evident in how they play, their lack of shape, lack of angles, how they position to receive passes, lack of composure on the ball and on and on.

Being good starts in the back line and the Vol back line is weak. Combine that with how in the attack we usually bypass the midfield and it leads to near zero quality scoring chances. Next time they play, count the number of balls played to the forwards on the ground at their feet. It is near zero. The balls are usually line drives at them or long balls they need to take off their chests or headers. Because of that there is no way to combine with mids or outside backs. It simply becomes a physical battle. In the 2 games this weekend the Vols took around 42 shots, and there wasn't a single quality shot in the run of play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back