OT: Indiana Fever 78 Phoenix Mercury 60

Amb3096

Good to see Tamika's Fever come out with a win in her last game at Phoenix. Something is seriously wrong when a Phoenix team with Taurasi, Griner, Bonner, Dupree and Bone can only score 60 points against a far less talented team. Larkins owned Griner in this matchup.

Reactions: 6 people
Thank you for taking the time to create such an interesting and informative post.

PHX plays no defense and Griner is soft and not nearly as good as people thought or like to pretend she is.

PHX plays no defense and Griner is soft and not nearly as good as people thought or like to pretend she is.

Griner used to be good. I don't know what happened to her this year. She should be averaging 4-5 blocks per game, not letting an undersized journeyman player like Larkins dominate her in a game.

I remember when Phoenix beat Chicago in the finals a few years back, she made Sylvia Fowles look like an amateur. What the hell happened to that player? She's not playing like she's one of the 5 best centers in the league, let alone 5 best players.

Free Izzy!

Seriously, Griner is so butt-hurt over having to pay child support it's affecting her play. She should take time off and get right with her situation. Or, like UT, it could be entirely the coach's fault I guess, lol

Free Izzy!

Seriously, Griner is so butt-hurt over having to pay child support it's affecting her play. She should take time off and get right with her situation. Or, like UT, it could be entirely the coach's fault I guess, lol

Griner plays as if she doesn't care. I can't imagine that Izzy or Kelsey Bone is happy to be playing behind a player that is clearly just phoning it in.

I hope the Mercury trade or waive Izzy. She's too good to be on a team where she is third-string.

Reactions: 2 people
Also, Drafting Griner for their style of play was the wrong moved IMO. EDD would have been a much better fit.

Plus PHX's bench is horrible

They have Harding, Bone, Bonner, Bass and Harrison on the bench. That's as deep a bench as any team in the league, save Minnesota.

Looks like it's a combination of coaching and indifferent play. Normally, I would wonder if they are just doing their usual tank job to get the top pick in the 2017 draft...

Also, Drafting Griner for their style of play was the wrong moved IMO. EDD would have been a much better fit.

A player of Griner's talent should never be an issue. She's a tall, mobile center that can run the floor, shut down the paint, and score at will when she wants to. She showed what she was capable of doing the last two years, and Phoenix was a force...even without Taurasi last year. She has regressed badly this season.

Harding can't shoot, Bass provides little offense, Bone is new. Harden barely plays, Bonner is basically a starter. They traded away their best offensive bench player in Courtney Williams. Look at her numbers with CT in the few games she has played so far.

Last edited:
It may have somithing with her pay, she makes around 60,000 in the WNBA and 600,000 while playing overseas.

Reactions: 1 person
It may have somithing with her pay, she makes around 60,000 in the WNBA and 600,000 while playing overseas.

There's something wrong with that fact...Not for BG, but in its reflection of how poorly marketed a league that old, in the USA ,is.

VN Store

Back