OT - Super Bug!

Drudgereport posts something about Zika or Rio every day.

I don't know what the 24-hour News networks (22-hour Speculation networks) are saying. It would be interesting to see how the network which bought the rights to televise those Olympics are covering the story.
-------
Just curious, LadyVol1908... what does the OT stand for in your thread title? I clicked from the Home page to see what kind of Offensive Tackle had earned the nickname "super bug." :question:

From the moment they announced the location for this Olympic Games I was in disbelief. No way this was ever a good idea.

Reactions: 4 people
Drudgereport posts something about Zika or Rio every day.

I don't know what the 24-hour News networks (22-hour Speculation networks) are saying. It would be interesting to see how the network which bought the rights to televise those Olympics are covering the story.
-------
Just curious, LadyVol1908... what does the OT stand for in your thread title? I clicked from the Home page to see what kind of Offensive Tackle had earned the nickname "super bug." :question:

OT means Off Topic lol...sorry for the confusion.

From the moment they announced the location for this Olympic Games I was in disbelief. No way this was ever a good idea.

Exactly!! To have, healthy top athletes from all over the world be exposed to these danger and then to have to travel back to their respective countries is crazy! It has pandemic written all over it.

I'm surprised that a super bug could survive in that water. I saw a news report showing the sailing venue filled with all sorts of trash and raw sewage.

Straight from the toilet to the ocean.

Utterly disgusting. So many countries are overpopulated and poor and corrupt. Most Brazilian sewage seems to go straight into the ocean or bays. Brazil promised to install a lot of sewage treatment facilities but most haven't been built.

Example of mixed emotions:
Both the STD you contracted and the video you uploaded to YouTube just went viral.

Reactions: 1 person
Glad Candace Parker isnt there, just because of this virus - still should have been on the team though

Reactions: 2 people
OT means Off Topic lol...sorry for the confusion.

Not your fault--that one's on my ignorance.

I think 1984 in L.A. was the last Olympic host to realize a profit. All the others lost money (though a few, like Beijing, got something else they wanted for their money--favorable exposure to the world). Rio has already dropped that baton... in the toilet.

Not saying some well-placed politicians and their Port-o-Potty renting brothers-in-law won't make a little something on the side, though.

Crappy part is Rio made a deal with the Olympic committee to clean up their waters or they would lose their right to host. Rio has not held up on that promise and the waters are even worse than before. People who ride in boats or kayaks have to keep their mouths shut tight and pretty much have to keep their eyes closed or the water splashes them in the face and they risk swallowing that disgusting bacteria. United States committee should have protested and not send any athletes down there. That would've gotten everyone's attention.

If your having a hard time grasping the environmental/health train wreck that is Rio at present, just imagine what a bang up job they must be doing on security.

The decision to allow Rio to host will likely result in the end of the Olympics as we know them. I honestly think we should pull our team out of the competition and stay home.

To ISIS this must seem like shooting fish in a barrel.

Seriously, I am VERY worried about what will happen.

I realize I am probably just talking to the wall, but why don't the first world countries like US, Canada, Australia, GB, Germany, etc...boycott the Olympics due to the health issues? I know I know I know, money, politics, money, politics, more money, dirty politics, lot and lots of money and dirtier politics.

I thought one of the deals for Rio to host was to build wastewater treatment plants to keep sewage from flowing into the waters? Here. If not, then screw them and pull the plug.

I would like to keep thinking there is no global agenda, there is no conspiracy...but damn if this doesn't fit the narrative the tin foil crowd keeps alluding to.

This sounds like political correctness that is going to literally kill someone or result in severe medical issues all because the IOC and world leaders were afraid to say "Brazil, no Olympics for you, you are full of (literally) crap." But instead we have to give warm fuzzies to them and renounce our superiority as a country. Not superior in intellect, morals, values, etc. But superior in infrastructure. That last word is the most critical word. We here in America are not superior to any other country in the world when it comes to us as a person, but as a society, when you look at infrastructure, we probably World Champs. :rock2:

Actually, the U.S. currently ranks 11th overall in the world among the countries with the best infrastructure:

World Economic Forum: Countries with the best infrastructure - Business Insider

Ok, 11th place out of 140 in the report, and 196 in the world today. Brazil is 74th.

Point is US, Canada, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, or any of the top 15-20 would never host an Olympics without basic infrastructure needs like clean water, sewage treatment, bike paths that aren't collapsing and whose knows what else will fall apart (or hasn't even been done yet).

Ok, 11th place out of 140 in the report, and 196 in the world today. Brazil is 74th.

Point is US, Canada, Australia, Great Britain, Japan, or any of the top 15-20 would never host an Olympics without basic infrastructure needs like clean water, sewage treatment, bike paths that aren't collapsing and whose knows what else will fall apart (or hasn't even been done yet).

Well, I hate to say it, but I think it would depend on how big the high bid was.

It's not like "scramble" isn't considered a valid strategy in corporate America these days.

VN Store

Back