Iowa State coach being sued for racial discrimination

Bill Fennelly and the Iowa St program was also accused of using homophobic recruiting practices in a column written by Kate Fagan and Luke Cyphers that ran in ESPN the Magazine in January of 2011.

Looks to me like she didn't cut it in the pros, so she's going for the easy road. I would imagine if he treated any players like this, much less one of his best (all-time assist leader) he wouldn't have much of a team. If I recall his teams are usually pretty good.

Looks to me like she didn't cut it in the pros, so she's going for the easy road. I would imagine if he treated any players like this, much less one of his best (all-time assist leader) he wouldn't have much of a team. If I recall his teams are usually pretty good.
how are you connecting her pro performance with her allegations against her former coach

Reactions: 2 people
Bill Fennelly being sued by former player under Iowa Civil Rights Act

Women's basketball is going to fall apart without Pat's example.

So she plays for four years, becomes the all time assists leader at the school, then after her playing career is over she files a discrimination complaint and a lawsuit? Why wait four years?

And this line from the suit seems silly "her name tag was removed from her locker". Wouldn't every player's name tag be removed from the locker after their playing career is over and they graduate?

Reactions: 6 people
So she plays for four years, becomes the all time assists leader at the school, then after her playing career is over she files a discrimination complaint and a lawsuit? Why wait four years?

And this line from the suit seems silly "her name tag was removed from her locker". Wouldn't every player's name tag be removed from the locker after their playing career is over and they graduate?

Exactly! Makes no sense what so ever.

Reactions: 1 person
She seems to be like a lot of players, put up with "crap" for 4 years and then all of a sudden decide to file a lawsuit. It is similar to basketball and football players that take bribes, clothes and fancy cars then all of a sudden, after eligiability is over, turn the school into the NCAA. If it was so bad, why not file a lawsuit while you are at the school? Moody was a good college basketball player and would have had little trouble playing for another D1 school. I really hate these retrospect lawsuit after an athlete completes his/her eligiability.

Reactions: 2 people
She seems to be like a lot of players, put up with "crap" for 4 years and then all of a sudden decide to file a lawsuit. It is similar to basketball and football players that take bribes, clothes and fancy cars then all of a sudden, after eligiability is over, turn the school into the NCAA. If it was so bad, why not file a lawsuit while you are at the school? Moody was a good college basketball player and would have had little trouble playing for another D1 school. I really hate these retrospect lawsuit after an athlete completes his/her eligiability.

I don't know anything about this case except what is included in this post. Therefore, I don't have enough information to make an informed comment. It will be interesting to see what happens as this case moves along. I do know that failure to reach one's goals tends to often result in one trying to place the blame on anyone other than themselves.

There are many players who transfer from one school to another and continue to have problems after their transfer. Sometimes I believe that the modern system of awarding "trophies" to every child on a teams leads them to not realizes that one has to earn what they want to achieve rather than just participate in a sport. Unfortunately, I have seen this attitude carry over to the the workplace.

I don't know anything about this case except what is included in this post. Therefore, I don't have enough information to make an informed comment. It will be interesting to see what happens as this case moves along. I do know that failure to reach one's goals tends to often result in one trying to place the blame on anyone other than themselves.

There are many players who transfer from one school to another and continue to have problems after their transfer. Sometimes I believe that the modern system of awarding "trophies" to every child on a teams leads them to not realizes that one has to earn what they want to achieve rather than just participate in a sport. Unfortunately, I have seen this attitude carry over to the the workplace.

I agree 100%. As a long time junior high and high school coach I never allowed participation trophies for any sport I coached. Kids now feel like they deserve something for every kind of reason. We have turned our children into give me, give me, I deserve something for nothing. My church wanted me to be in charge of the athletic teams . Once I let them know I did not believe in participation type awards they found someone else. Just my 2 cents worth!

I can imagine the legal proceedings would be a distraction to her career and it's possible it would hurt her rep around the league.

There are plausible reasons beyond "she's lying". Wonder what the specifics of the case are

VN Store

Back