From a long time die hard UCONN fan.

Majesty74

I just wanted to say that I got into women's college basketball in 1995 because of the Resurgence of Connecticut basketball at that time and have been a die-hard since that season. I knew about Coach Summit health because of the news but I did not realize how far along and how bad it is. I know that we are rivals on the court but reading what I just read about her condition literally felt like a kick to my stomach. Women's basketball is up and coming but it would be absolutely nowhere close to where it is without coach Summit Connecticut basketball wouldn't be what it is without coach Summit and we may have given her grief when she came to visit but that's just because she was on the other side of the lines. She is an absolute Legend and most if not all UConn fans hold her in very high regard. the ones that do not are just ignorant. I want to see coach Summit for all she has done for the sport because we will never see another one like her she is it true Pioneer and an absolute Legend and she will always have a place in this UConn fans heart.

I apologize if this was rambling and for any grammar mistakes as I am talking into my cell phone and it is typing for me.

Reactions: 83 people
I just wanted to say that I got into women's college basketball in 1995 because of the Resurgence of Connecticut basketball at that time and have been a die-hard since that season. I knew about Coach Summit health because of the news but I did not realize how far along and how bad it is. I know that we are rivals on the court but reading what I just read about her condition literally felt like a kick to my stomach. Women's basketball is up and coming but it would be absolutely nowhere close to where it is without coach Summit Connecticut basketball wouldn't be what it is without coach Summit and we may have given her grief when she came to visit but that's just because she was on the other side of the lines. She is an absolute Legend and most if not all UConn fans hold her in very high regard. the ones that do not are just ignorant. I want to see coach Summit for all she has done for the sport because we will never see another one like her she is it true Pioneer and an absolute Legend and she will always have a place in this UConn fans heart.

I apologize if this was rambling and for any grammar mistakes as I am talking into my cell phone and it is typing for me.

We appreciate the condolences Majesty! Welcome to the board, even if this is your first and last post, I'll hold you in high regard for making an account and making your first post in dedication to our coach! Thanks for the love....we need it right now!

Reactions: 10 people
I am facing the imminent loss of an older brother, USAF vet, due to long term kidney issues and now dementia problems.

I honestly can't say that I feel any different for him than I do for Coach Summitt. It is a loss of FAMILY.

May GOD bless and keep them.

Reactions: 3 people
Majesty, I am sure Pat and her family would appreciate your sentiments.

Gule, praying for you and yours as well.

Reactions: 5 people
This is a sad time in our programs history. I grew up watching and will never forget the basketball team being introduced at football games and thinking " oh my gosh it's Coach Summit". She has been great for this university and will forever be a major part of our foundation.

Reactions: 2 people
Sat with coach Pat at a luncheon some years ago, sat at a table next to coach Shula in Jackson Tn one night (he was after Ed too Tall Jones), the excitement level for Pat was much higher than for Shula.

Shows how many lives Pat Summit has influenced and the respect she has earned. OP - Thank you. Means a lot.

GOd bless you Coach Pat Summit from a UCONN fan. You made Women's basketball relevant for me and so many, many others. YOu will never receive all the accolades you so very richly deserve. You and your family are in my prayers as are the Lady Vols nation of fans at this difficult time.

Reactions: 6 people
Majesty and LVCT, thanks for your good wishes; it's good to hear from other teams' fans that truly appreciate Pat and everything she has done. She is truly universal and transcends both UT and Women's basketball in her life accomplishments.

forgot in your title with a classless coach.

Unnecessary post....and plain old rude.

I agree though I too felt a twinge of frustration over this post. We have an ongoing thread where people are expressing their well wishes, prayers, and recollections about Pat Summitt. But, this poster, by mere virtue of being a fan of a rival program, presumes that his/her well wishes warrant a separate thread, as though it is so much more special coming from a fan of the Northern empire.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I agree though I too felt a twinge of frustration over this post. We have an ongoing thread where people are expressing their well wishes, prayers, and recollections about Pat Summitt. But, this poster, by mere virtue of being a fan of a rival program, presumes that his/her well wishes warrant a separate thread, as though it is so much more special coming from a fan of the Northern empire.

Madtown, I took it as they did not want to intrude in the "family" thread but wanted to express their sympathy and respect for Pat. So Majesty started a thread to do so. It's difficult to know, since we have so many resident uconn trolls on VN, but giving Maj and LVCT the benefit of the doubt and accepting them as they say they are...respecters of our CPS and sharers of our grief.

I believe (hope) these two are posting because they feel the pain and have the respect.

Reactions: 8 people
Geno and some former UConn greats are giving Pat great props. The article is posted on 247 sports.com Someone post the link please(don't know how :shakehead:) Great read. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Madtown, I took it as they did not want to intrude in the "family" thread but wanted to express their sympathy and respect for Pat. So Majesty started a thread to do so. It's difficult to know, since we have so many resident uconn trolls on VN, but giving Maj and LVCT the benefit of the doubt and accepting them as they say they are...respecters of our CPS and sharers of our grief.

I believe (hope) these two are posting because they feel the pain and have the respect.

I can see that. I will go with your charitable interpretation. Thanks.

I met Pat back in 1986 when I was coaching in Asheville, NC and she came to a small town nearby to give a FREE one day clinic to a limited # of kids. She was so personable, so smart, so respectful of the girls... but she did something that day that made a "Pat fan" from then until now and forever more. There was a kid there from Ashville (not my school) who was, as a freshman, already being highly recruited. She and her friend were at the back of the group on the floor with all the girls... BUT they were carrying on a conversation while Pat was talking to the group:eek:hmy: Pat, stopped and asked the two of them to come up by her, which they did... but believe it or not they continued to whisper to each other!
:cray: Pat let them have it in no uncertain terms... called her out; not yelling or anything, but it was my first up close look at the stare! I have respected and loved her and Lady Vols have been MY team ever since!
I am so so sad as are the rest of you all. Thanks to the UCONN fan for acknowledging Pat's contribution to the game. She is the greatest of all time!

Reactions: 5 people

Thank you and more importantly I believe Pat would greatly appreciate it.

I absolutely post it out of nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Summit. I do not frequent this forum and did not look for another thread related to her and her medical situation. I guess that is my fault but it was unintentional. my only intention was to come here and pay respect to a coach that I think is one of the best coaches in any sport of all time there was no rude intention here at all.

Reactions: 6 people
Many years ago when Coach Summitt first took the Head Women's Basketball Coaching position at UT, I was blessed to have her as a coaching basketball teaching instructor. Even back then, we knew that she was tough. In her class a 95 was an A and a 94 was a B. I learned much about coaching but more about being a leader. Coach Summitt has been a great coach, a great leader, a great Mom, but more importantly, a great person all of her life. She has influenced millions of people in a positive manner and inspired many to be the best person that they could be. I am confident that Coach Summitt is a born again Christian. She has her place for ever lasting life reserved. God bless you Pat Head Summitt.

VN Store

Back