CP - Olympics conspiracy theory

VollyParton

Blue Hair
So here's an article about CP signing a deal with Budweiser to be one of their featured Olympic athletes. Two days after they signed, Geno throws her off the team. My guess is that if Bud had signed a deal with Maya Moore (or some other Con), CP would still rightfully be on the Olympic team. It was too much for Geno's jealousy to handle.

Link

So here's an article about CP signing a deal with Budweiser to be one of their featured Olympic athletes. Two days after they signed, Geno throws her off the team. My guess is that if Bud had signed a deal with Maya Moore (or some other Con), CP would still rightfully be on the Olympic team. It was too much for Geno's jealousy to handle.

Link

The timing of the deal didn't have anything to do with it, neither did "jealously."

The bottom line is, Geno wanted to reward his players that played for him at UConn, and USA Basketball allowed him to do it. Sucks for Candace, but it is what it is. As we've seen, all the outrage and negative publicity has affected Geno and the decision exactly zero.

The good news for Candace is that she signed the deal before she was left off the team, so her initial check will still be the same. She likely misses out on a bonus structure that would have been built around her and the team's performance in Rio.

If Candace was a college player newly entering the endorsement world, then being left off of the team would have been a major blow. That's actually the reason she left Tennessee when she did. 2008 was an Olympic year, the absolute peak time for female athletes to sign deals. Her contracts with adidas and others would have been 30-40% less signed in a non-Olympic year. But that this point in her career, when she has long-term deals with several partners, the monetary hit is relatively low.

Reactions: 3 people
The timing of the deal didn't have anything to do with it, neither did "jealously."

The bottom line is, Geno wanted to reward his players that played for him at UConn, and USA Basketball allowed him to do it. Sucks for Candace, but it is what it is. As we've seen, all the outrage and negative publicity has affected Geno and the decision exactly zero.

Whether everyone likes it or not, this is the way the world works, both in basketball and in all other aspects of life. The world is not a meritocracy where the smartest or most talented people get all the prizes. Princeton, MIT, and Tufts regularly reject applicants with perfect SAT scores in favor of legacies, minorities, and under-represented groups. It may not sound fair but it is their right. The admissions officers have all the power. Coaches have the right to put together a team that will fulfill the coach's vision, and it includes factors such as team chemistry, attitude, and the ability to do what the coach asks with a smile on your face. If a coach has friction with a player, he is going to bypass her in favor of another with whom he has a better working relationship. Does that mean the team is made up of the most talented players available? No! But it is what it is. The freshman class at Stanford isn't comprised of the smartest kids that applied. There are lots of other factors that are considered in the selection process.

Reactions: 7 people
Whether everyone likes it or not, this is the way the world works, both in basketball and in all other aspects of life. The world is not a meritocracy where the smartest or most talented people get all the prizes. Princeton, MIT, and Tufts regularly reject applicants with perfect SAT scores in favor of legacies, minorities, and under-represented groups. It may not sound fair but it is their right. The admissions officers have all the power. Coaches have the right to put together a team that will fulfill the coach's vision, and it includes factors such as team chemistry, attitude, and the ability to do what the coach asks with a smile on your face. If a coach has friction with a player, he is going to bypass her in favor of another with whom he has a better working relationship. Does that mean the team is made up of the most talented players available? No! But it is what it is. The freshman class at Stanford isn't comprised of the smartest kids that applied. There are lots of other factors that are considered in the selection process.
Blah!!! Sounds like you're trying to justify her being left off the team, which doesn't fly here, no matter how you slice and dice it!

Reactions: 13 people

And what part of that does Candace not fit? It's not like she's prevented them from winning a gold medal in the past.

Reactions: 12 people
Blah!!! Sounds like you're trying to justify her being left off the team, which doesn't fly here, no matter how you slice and dice it!

We all have a choices to make everyday... In this case Hoya's post does reflect a reality of life. To reject or ignore reality never works out well for those who choose to embrace this rejection.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Had CPS left a CT player off a team in favor of a LV she felt worked better with her, you would have been completely supportive of a coaches right to work with players that mesh well with the team and the coaches. None of us know if Geno had a hand in this but it is more than normal to select a team that has as little friction as is possible. CP will be fine and she won't have to deal with ZIKA.

Reactions: 6 people
She has never caused "friction" on any team she's been on. So this narrative that she's some kind of a team killer is totally false and unwarranted.

Reactions: 18 people
She has never caused "friction" on any team she's been on. So this narrative that she's some kind of a team killer is totally false and unwarranted.

Are you actually trying to sell the notion that there has never been any friction between CP and Geno? If you are, then you may want to rethink your position. Their relationship has most definitely had its ups and downs.

Again, if CPS had sought to staff a team with highly talented players that she also had solid working relationships with, would anyone have had a problem with that?

I get that this is off season but this nonsense is such a waste of time and space.

Reactions: 4 people

For the record, if I were picking the team, Parker would have been near the top of my list. But I'm not so naïve that I don't understand how the real world works. I may not like some of the selections that were made, but I accept that the decision is someone else's to make.

Reactions: 5 people
For the record, if I were picking the team, Parker would have been near the top of my list. But I'm not so naïve that I don't understand how the real world works. I may not like some of the selections that were made, but I accept that the decision is someone else's to make.

Agree on all counts.

Reactions: 1 person
Everyone knows Geno told the committee not to put her on the team, he was just showing how much power he has and how they all but two bent down and kissed his A$$.

Reactions: 5 people
Are you actually trying to sell the notion that there has never been any friction between CP and Geno? If you are, then you may want to rethink your position. Their relationship has most definitely had its ups and downs.

Again, if CPS had sought to staff a team with highly talented players that she also had solid working relationships with, would anyone have had a problem with that?

I get that this is off season but this nonsense is such a waste of time and space.

Pat Summitt did help select and coached the 1984 Olympic team. Although she probably wasn't terrifically fond of Cheryl Miller's flamboyance, she didn't exclude her from the team.

Although Teresa Edwards's youth was a slight risk to take over, say, Lataunya Pollard or Joyce Walker, she thought it was important to keep an eye out for future Olympic teams in growing experience.

Additionally, both of those young, hotly coveted players had recently spurned Summitt's scholarship offers to attend Tennessee in favor of USC and Georgia, respectively. Summitt held no grudge. Vindication and vengeance were not motives behind her assembling the best team possible, including the most deserving players.

Reactions: 11 people
Are you actually trying to sell the notion that there has never been any friction between CP and Geno?...

LOL! Are you actually trying to sell the notion that there has never been friction between Geno and anybody else? There is friction between Geno and everybody who isn't a Geno fan.

Reactions: 8 people

That's fine, but Geno is a coward for not owning it. A coward.

Reactions: 4 people
So I take it you regularly participate in events you consider nonsense and a waste of your time?

It's just a new uconn troll joining forces with an old one, Jeff. Don't try to understand them; you could never stoop low enough to even begin. Wish gule could send them all back to their dog pound.

Reactions: 1 person
The reality of the situation is, why would a perceived great coach reject one of the top WBB players in the world? It just does not add up. I hate to say it, but with raw sewage, gang and other potential health issues in, or near Rio, it might be a blessing for CP to sat this one out. With that said, it is one of the worse, if not the worse, non selections in Olympic American basketball history, men or women. It just certifies our opinion of Genno, he is a certified AHole.:clapping:

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
LOL! Are you actually trying to sell the notion that there has never been friction between Geno and anybody else? There is friction between Geno and everybody who isn't a Geno fan.

Patently false and the damage that this sort of irrational thinking does to the LVC brand is substantial in that prospective recruits doing their research on the schools also look at the fanbase.

Pat Summitt did help select and coached the 1984 Olympic team. Although she probably wasn't terrifically fond of Cheryl Miller's flamboyance, she didn't exclude her from the team.

Although Teresa Edwards's youth was a slight risk to take over, say, Lataunya Pollard or Joyce Walker, she thought it was important to keep an eye out for future Olympic teams in growing experience.

Additionally, both of those young, hotly coveted players had recently spurned Summitt's scholarship offers to attend Tennessee in favor of USC and Georgia, respectively. Summitt held no grudge. Vindication and vengeance were not motives behind her assembling the best team possible, including the most deserving players.

The 2012 team had Lindsay Whalen, Simone Augustus Angel McCoutry Tamika Catchings, Sylvia Fowles, and Candace Parker on it. He seemed to be fine with players that chose schools other than UC.

Keeping this nonsense up is doing nothing but making the LV Fan look bitter and small-minded. Is that really the image that you want to portray to prospective recruits?

Reactions: 2 people
Then leave the discussion, no one has a gun to your head. It will only escalate as the Olympics approach, and Geno deserves all of it....

This is not a thread that I would normally spend much time on but the ugly fact of this thread is that it adds one more reason to choose a different team. Not good.

VN Store

Back