Andraya Carter’s playing future with Lady Vols in doubt because of knee pain

What excuses????? What would you have said differently regarding the situation?

I'm not talking about Carter, about MeMe being out of shape and not knowing the system. What system do we truly run on offense that MeMe wasn't able to see the floor and she couldn't have performed any worst than some of the other players (Carter being the first player who comes to mind) who saw a lot of minutes which also upsets me. Knowing Carter knees were declining further she should've began playing players in case we are in a situation where we lose Carter. Just reading the article and her remarks leads me to still believe that she doesn't have her "own" plan and she is still living off of plans that Pat used to build Tennessee forgetting that this is a new era.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm not talking about Carter, about MeMe being out of shape and not knowing the system. What system do we truly run on offense that MeMe wasn't able to see the floor and she couldn't have performed any worst than some of the other players (Carter being the first player who comes to mind) who saw a lot of minutes which also upsets me. Knowing Carter knees were declining further she shouldn't began playing players in case we are in a situation where we lose Carter. Just reading the article and her remarks leads me to still believe that she doesn't have her "own" plan and she is still living off of plans that Pat used to build Tennessee forgetting that this is a new era.

Uhhhhhh, OK?

It is one thing to complain about excuse making in season. I am one who did. But to form that opinion from that article? Not seeing that.

If Holly were using Pat's blueprint correctly, we would be winning. In any era. What you said made little sense at first, and got more confusing as you went.

Good thing it isn't illegal to post while intoxicated. If it was, we might both be in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I don't get the comments Holly made about MeMe, myself. Holly said she didn't play her more due to being out of shape? That's kinda a head-scratcher. How can a player be out of shape when they just finished playing their senior season of high school? Also, wasn't Jackson enrolled at UT during the summer? Wasn't she doing the conditioning program the other players were involved in while on campus?

I don't understand that explanation. Is there something I am missing?

Reactions: 4 people
I don't get the comments Holly made about MeMe, myself. Holly said she didn't play her more due to being out of shape? That's kinda a head-scratcher. How can a player be out of shape when they just finished playing their senior season of high school? Also, wasn't Jackson enrolled at UT during the summer? Wasn't she doing the conditioning program the other players were involved in while on campus?

I don't understand that explanation. Is there something I am missing?

No, that is not quite what she said. To quote from the linked article: "
She came in last year out of shape, so she spent a lot of time catching up," Warlick said. "Her conditioning held her back and then she got behind.

Being in shape can mean lots of things, not just cardio but having the strength to match up against more mature players; being able to recover from hard practices in time for the next practice or a game and so forth. And it makes sense, that Meme, as freshman, could get caught in a perpetual game of catch-up that is hard to resolve during the season. As CPS once said, the best thing about Freshman is that they become sophomores. Hopefully, Meme will be better prepared when the process begins again in the Fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
It is sad that Draya may not be able to go next year but she sure was a trooper to get through the season with these injuries. Her situation highlights why can it can a big mistake to criticize players without knowledge of the problems or complications they are having to negotiate. For Draya, making it through the season meant reducing stress on her knees which led to diminished practice time and fewer shooting reps and so on (not too mention how knee problems can negatively affect one's shot in the first place). Her offensive struggles where due to not laziness or other imputed character flaws but a health restriction. The upside is that Draya has her life on a great trajectory to accomplish important things beyond basketball. Go Draya.

Reactions: 13 people
If you on the court. You play injury or not. If you injury is affecting yo play, and causing the team to lose games, our point guard play this year was horrible and her play was part of the problem, come on now.

If she wasn't practicing, she shouldn't have been playing, period. Now, if she was a Jewell Lloyd, a proven performer maybe. Those would minutes would have been good for Meme and Alexa( who were hurt this year too.), especially with all those losses, shoot why not?

Holly if a player can't practice, they shouldn't play, that sends the wrong message to the team.

We need mo guards and wings.

I hate that Andraya may lose this coming season. She will indeed be missed.
As for Holly's remarks about other players who are in summer sessions working camps and I would think trying to get better. For Holly to say, I am leaving their schedule up to them...I don't want to burn them out by working with them, irritates me to no end. She needs to get involved with these players and make them as good as she can with the time she is given. Why is she being paid all this money. To sit back and say I don't want to burn them out is absurd!

Reactions: 6 people
I'm not a fan of Holly's offense, but in this case, it simply seems that she is trying to hold a player accountable - something that should be done.

I don't see excuses - quite the opposite in fact.

Reactions: 1 person
This will open up minutes for Jackson and Middleton. I think Alexa could be very good if she would just go out there and play and quit over thinking things. She tries to force things and play perfectly in the fear of getting yanked. Now her and Jackson should be able to take full advantage of the available minutes. Jackson needs to develop a mid-range game because she can elevate so high. Her defense is good, but she struggles on offense. The guards have to step it up this season. I think guard play has prevented us from getting over the Elite 8 hump the last few seasons.

As for Holly's remarks about other players who are in summer sessions working camps and I would think trying to get better. For Holly to say, I am leaving their schedule up to them...I don't want to burn them out by working with them, irritates me to no end. She needs to get involved with these players and make them as good as she can with the time she is given. Why is she being paid all this money. To sit back and say I don't want to burn them out is absurd!

My point exactly. She is paid to coach up/develop the players she has (along with her assistants) and some of her comments explains why we were 22-14 last season. Her comments have put me back in the position of thinking that she still doesn't get it and we may be better suited going elsewhere when it comes to a coach. Also if we have questions or feel as though her comments are a head scratcher to us, what do you think the parents of recruits and their High School/AAU coaches are thinking?

The NCAA places strict limitations on how much coaches can work with players during the offseason, basically 8 hours/week with only 2 hours/week on skill instruction and only when the student is enrolled in the summer term and for a max of 8 weeks during the summer.

Here's a summary from the ND website
Countable Hours - Athletics Compliance - University of Notre Dame

However, this is a prime example of Holly's poor interview style. She should have just said that she was limited in her contact to 2 hours and she couldn't wait for the normal contact period to start so she could begin to work with the team. Instead, she's got people questioning her judgment.

The NCAA places strict limitations on how much coaches can work with players during the offseason, basically 8 hours/week with only 2 hours/week on skill instruction and only when the student is enrolled in the summer term and for a max of 8 weeks during the summer.

Here's a summary from the ND website
Countable Hours - Athletics Compliance - University of Notre Dame

However, this is a prime example of Holly's poor interview style. She should have just said that she was limited in her contact to 2 hours and she couldn't wait for the normal contact period to start so she could begin to work with the team. Instead, she's got people questioning her judgment.

Thank you! She should just pull a Belichick and not reveal much information as it relates to players and why they aren't playing or their health

Part of what made Pat's blueprint for the Lady Vols work was strong junior and senior classes and health. My "excuse" for Holly is this team has not been healthy the last three years and it was the established juniors and seniors that where injured - Massengale (3 years ago) your starting point guard who missed from Feb - tournament, Harrison (2 years ago) your starting center who missed tournament, Reynolds (last year) starting point guard - Graves (last year) starting forward - Carter (last year) 2 guard all missed or played injured in Elite 8 game and from the article Carter pushed through pain more than the fans knew throughout the season.

What she is saying is that she does not want them to get tired and dis interested as the workouts will pick up when everyone gets back. Also, geno does not work with his players non one says anything to him. you guys take everything she says an come up with your version of it

Part of what made Pat's blueprint for the Lady Vols work was strong junior and senior classes and health. My "excuse" for Holly is this team has not been healthy the last three years and it was the established juniors and seniors that where injured - Massengale (3 years ago) your starting point guard who missed from Feb - tournament, Harrison (2 years ago) your starting center who missed tournament, Reynolds (last year) starting point guard - Graves (last year) starting forward - Carter (last year) 2 guard all missed or played injured in Elite 8 game and from the article Carter pushed through pain more than the fans knew throughout the season.

The injury excuse has now been played over and over for 8 years now......it is indeed tiresome to read and hear about it over and over and over again !!!

What she is saying is that she does not want them to get tired and dis interested as the workouts will pick up when everyone gets back. Also, geno does not work with his players non one says anything to him. you guys take everything she says an come up with your version of it

Geno doesn't have to work with his players because he has a "system" and they understand what he expects of them. He also has the pedigree and coaching skills that players understand that he knows what he is doing. There have been several times in several press conferences last year when the players (Diamond in particular) questioned Holly's ability to put the team in a position to win. It's okay to be a Holly lover and praise her but when you in fact always make the same excuses for her it becomes a problem. We will see this year, Elzy is gone so there are no excuses.

The injury excuse has now been played over and over for 8 years now......it is indeed tiresome to read and hear about it over and over and over again !!!

My point exactly it seems to me "practice" seems to be more important than the game (although Draya rarely practiced yet her minutes wasn't effected) but players like MeMe, Nia, Kortney, and Middleton had to have great practices in order for them to see the court.

Geno doesn't have to work with his players because he has a "system" and they understand what he expects of them. He also has the pedigree and coaching skills that players understand that he knows what he is doing. There have been several times in several press conferences last year when the players (Diamond in particular) questioned Holly's ability to put the team in a position to win. It's okay to be a Holly lover and praise her but when you in fact always make the same excuses for her it becomes a problem. We will see this year, Elzy is gone so there are no excuses.

What did diamond say?

My point exactly it seems to me "practice" seems to be more important than the game (although Draya rarely practiced yet her minutes wasn't effected) but players like MeMe, Nia, Kortney, and Middleton had to have great practices in order for them to see the court.

Draya is a very big leader on the Lady Vols.... The other three you mentioned don't have to have perfect practices but they do have to show that they bring more positives than negatives to the team and none of the three do that right now.

Reactions: 2 people
There have been several times in several press conferences last year when the players (Diamond in particular) questioned Holly's ability to put the team in a position to win.

Again, Holly has significant issues and I don't see her as the coach that leads us back to NC glory...BUT, DD also has very significant issues, especially on the attitude/body language/decision making side. If DD is actually is criticizing Coach in public, this is a reflection of DD's flaws as well.

VN Store

Back