Past into Present (Lady Vols)

mlindsay

Since we are in a down time with the Lady Vols (Basketball) program. I thought it would be fun to ask everyone a question. Based on the team will will have in the fall (Harris & Nunn added and possibly the lost of Andraya Carter which would put us at 10 players if she should leave basketball) what 2 former Lady Vols who you feel didn't really get the chance to show what they could do that you would put on this current roster and give reasons why. The two ladies I would pick would be Kara Lawson and Gwen Jackson. Of the lady Vols most deserving of an NCAA championship and represents what the Lady Vols is all about it would be them two. They both also provides us with what we need right now (Sound decisions from our PG and 3pt shooting as well as a defensive front court player who can also rebound, block shots, and put the ball in the hoop.)

Just imagine;

Starters/Bench

PG-Lawson/Reynolds
SG-Cooper/Middleton/MeMe Jackson
SF-DeSheilds/Nared/Dunbar
PF-Gwen Jackson/Nunn
C-Russell/Nunn/Harris

Your turn!

Since we are in a down time with the Lady Vols (Basketball) program. I thought it would be fun to ask everyone a question. Based on the team will will have in the fall (Harris & Nunn added and possibly the lost of Andraya Carter which would put us at 10 players if she should leave basketball) what 2 former Lady Vols who you feel didn't really get the chance to show what they could do that you would put on this current roster and give reasons why. The two ladies I would pick would be Kara Lawson and Gwen Jackson. Of the lady Vols most deserving of an NCAA championship and represents what the Lady Vols is all about it would be them two. They both also provides us with what we need right now (Sound decisions from our PG and 3pt shooting as well as a defensive front court player who can also rebound, block shots, and put the ball in the hoop.)

Just imagine;

Starters/Bench

PG-Lawson/Reynolds
SG-Cooper/Middleton/MeMe Jackson
SF-DeSheilds/Nared/Dunbar
PF-Gwen Jackson/Nunn
C-Russell/Nunn/Harris

Your turn!

Kara Lawson never got a chance to show shat she could do??? I guess I'm not understanding what you mean.

Reactions: 2 people
I may be mis-remembering, but wasn't Kara actually a shooting guard who was forced to play point because we didn't have a healthy point guard for most of her time at UT (one of many in that situation)? That's how I'm remembering it, but of course she remained a point guard in the WNBA & on the Olympic team, so it obviously agreed with her.

But anyway, i thought it funny you had her in the point guard position again for your dream team.

Kara Lawson and Gwen Jackson had their opportunities to win national titles. Good grief, they helped comprise a Lady Vol team that beat the U.S. National Team prior to the Olympics one year.

They didn't win a national title for a combination of reasons, the main one being that they just didn't go get the job done.

Reactions: 1 person
I left out the line who didn't win a title at UT

Then why bring them back?

I mean, if you are going to throw a former player into the mix, you want a proven winner. Someone who brought home a title to lead the way to the next.

Once you get past Candace Parker and the class she won with, you are hard pressed to find a player that was not a part of a national title team. So, you just took all the fun out of the exercise.

Without a doubt, Kelley Cain! Had she been healthy for 4 years, man, she had the softest hands, never dropped a pass, and talk about a space eater! Not to mention, at 6ft6 I have heard she was incredible elegant in high heals. Other than her, I would have to say give Catchings her senior yr back, on this current team!

Parker missed a year because of injury then left early. I want that year and Catchings year. I think these two could get the rest of this bunch going for a title.

Reactions: 3 people
Without a doubt, Kelley Cain! Had she been healthy for 4 years, man, she had the softest hands, never dropped a pass, and talk about a space eater! Not to mention, at 6ft6 I have heard she was incredible elegant in high heals. Other than her, I would have to say give Catchings her senior yr back, on this current team!

When I originally wrote this Cain was the first person I thought of! She was everything I loved in a Post Player and wish she was healthy enough to see what she could really do for us the same with Vicky Baugh who I think didn't get the chance to really play due to injuries. I also wish we had Bobbit for all 4 years! What she did her 2 years here was amazing!

Bobbitt could shoot the ball from the three made some huge ones. She was really firing that last game we played UConn she was amazing. I would definitely take her for two more years to bad she was a juco. Same for the other juco she could guard anybody can't remember her name, but she was a shutdown defender.

Bobbitt could shoot the ball from the three made some huge ones. She was really firing that last game we played UConn she was amazing. I would definitely take her for two more years to bad she was a juco. Same for the other juco she could guard anybody can't remember her name, but she was a shutdown defender.

Alberta Auguste! I thought of her too and wonder how many titles Parker, Hornbuckle, and Anosike could have won if they played with Auguste and Bobbit for 4 seasons (I think we would've been the first to accomplish what Uconn did and have an entire class graduate having won a title every year they were on campus)

Alberta Auguste! I thought of her too and wonder how many titles Parker, Hornbuckle, and Anosike could have won if they played with Auguste and Bobbit for 4 seasons (I think we would've been the first to accomplish what Uconn did and have an entire class graduate having won a title every year they were on campus)

Completely agree. Those five were just a joy to watch play I think they would've gone undefeated their junior and senior seasons had they all been able to play together for 4 years and develop even more chemistry.

Cain could have been such a great player for us it truly is said that injuries ruined her career. The moments that she was able to play to her potential showed that she was a GREAT player. I would bring her back(although I think she technically won a title her freshman year with candace and co) also I would bring back Simmons to play next to Diamond. This team is missing scorers and that is something that Simmons had no problem doing.

VN Store

Back