Softball related question

CannonVol80

Does anyone know/recommend a good (in terms of quality and exposure) 14u travel team in the East Tennessee area?

Jim

The Tennessee Fury is a good organization with different age groups. The teams are qualifying for Nationals later this summer. I am sure the travel team rosters are full for this summer. Rosters get locked in once they qualify so I would imagine you are inquiring about teams for the fall.

Fury Fastpitch Tennessee Softball Travel Club Organization

During our softball days, Melissa tried out and made the Batbuster teams from Orange County... It was a 4 hour drive each way to play on the team. We sacrificed a lot so she could play for them but it worked out in the end.

The 2003 ASA National Championship "A" Ball was played in Johnson City, TN.... just down the road from where Melissa played her college ball... back in 2003, we didn't know she would play her college ball for Tennessee

Attachments

• MelissaBatbusterHomerun1.JPG
    MelissaBatbusterHomerun1.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 4
  • MelissaHitsat HOFQualifier.jpg
    MelissaHitsat HOFQualifier.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Melissa big Hit UT.jpg
    Melissa big Hit UT.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 100
  • melissa at bat.jpg
    melissa at bat.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1
  • melissa stretch.jpg
    melissa stretch.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Thank you, and yes, we are talking fall tryouts. My granddaughter just found out that she has been accepted for the L&N STEM Academy and they don't have a softball team and they won't allow her to play for her zoned school. She has aspirations playing in college (and at Tennessee) and I am trying to help her parents find her an opportunity to at least pursue the dream.

Jim

Reactions: 3 people
That's great! Help her follow her dream.

I did with my daughter who was not a great athlete,but gifted. At the age of 6 decided she wanted to be a doctor and we lived in west tn. but she would follow the BO with me and every Christmas we would come up to campus and just walk around when she was 9 years old. Needless to say she has 2 degrees from UT and is in a few weeks graduating her residency and was offered a 3 year fellowship at( it kills me to say, Vanderbilt) which she accepted to start 7/1. We have to help our kids spread their wings and soar.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
My niece in Georgia played for a travel ball team that won the world series in Florida back a few years ago. I recommend travel ball for all young girls that love softball.

My granddaughter has been playing both for her school team and for rec leagues for a couple of years now. She was also invited to play for a local baseball team this year.

The L&N STEM Academy is just too good to pass up in order to play high school softball, however.

Jim

White Lightning is a good organization in Knoxville. The 14 u Fury is very stacked also, but based in Franklin, TN.

Not just any girl can say I want to play travel ball and play. They have to make the team. Very tough.

Watch some of those 10U championship games on youtube. It is amazing how good those young girls are.

Not just any girl can say I want to play travel ball and play. They have to make the team. Very tough.

Her parents and I are aware that joining a travel team will be by invitation after a tryout and have made my granddaughter aware of that fact. She wishes to try out and we wish to give her that opportunity with the best available teams.

Jim

High school softball almost means zero for college recruitment. It's all about travel ball and showcases starting at 14u up through 18u. To play for a travel ball team that is going to play at the level SEC schools recruit from will require a lot of commitment, driving and money. I don't think any of the local organizations play at that level or are on the radar of SEC coaches. Worth Hustle was worth a look. Coached by Marc Weekly, at least it was. I'm not sure if they are still around though, have not seen them on any showcase list this summer.

I would first look into the Fury organization. They are based out of Chattanooga. Several alums playing for SEC schools, including a few at UT. Also look into Frost Falcons from Chattanooga as well. And the Firecrackers have put a few teams in TN, might be worth a look.

Other than that if playing for Tennessee is the goal, you will need to look at some of the Georgia teams like Vipers, Premier, Bullets, Force, Power and Impact, etc SEC has a lot of girls from those Georgia teams.

If she is serious about this I highly encourage you to take a road trip next weekend to Chattanooga and go watch the Scenic City Showcase. One of the premier showcases on the east coast. Check out the website and find where the 14u teams are playing and go watch. Don't be surprised when you see coaches from just about every SEC school, and some ACC, Big 12, Big 10, and even a PAC 12 school or two. And lots and lots of "small schools" as well. Also, know the rules - no talking to coaches. Only travel ball coaches are allowed to talk to the coaches. If a parent or player talks to a coach they will be shown the exit. Even as spectator you are not permitted to walk up to a coach and talk to them. Now if they want to talk to you, that's different.

2016 Scenic City Summer - Connect Sports

check this site out for organizations that kick out ballers:

goldfastpitch

Probably way more info than you wanted, but the travel ball road is a serious commitment.

Her parents and I are aware that joining a travel team will be by invitation after a tryout and have made my granddaughter aware of that fact. She wishes to try out and we wish to give her that opportunity with the best available teams.

Jim

August is a very important month for tryouts. Most big organizations have their organizational tryouts in August after ASA/PGF nationals are done.

Also, there are two TN Fury organizations. There used to be one, but the founders got into a fight and split up.

There is TN Fury:
http://www.furyfastpitch.net/

And there is Fury Platinum:
TN Fury Fastpitch > Home

Both are legit options for 14u players.

Jim,lots of good info from the others. I have nothing to add except best wishes and good luck to your granddaughter and your family.

Jim

Good luck to her. Help her along by doing fielding, throwing and hitting drills. Relentless.

VN Store

Back