Soccer: 2016 Schedule

armchair

The Vols have announced their 2016 soccer schedule. It's a decent lineup, particularly because the team will play 12 of its 19 regular season games at home. More specifically, the Vols will play 6 of their 11 SEC games at home--a good thing.

The non-conference schedule is a mixed bag. There are a handful of somewhat uninspiring matches (Southeast Missouri St. to open the regular season, Liberty, Indiana State, East Tennessee State, and American University, all of which are must-wins for this program this year. And there are two other non-conference games with a lot more luster-- both against teams from the formidable Pac12 conference. We play the University of Washington at home and BYU in Provo, Utah. Washington was a very respectable 5-5-1 in the Pac12 last year, and BYU was an excellent 7-1-1. BYU only lost 3 games last year--and two of them were to powerhouse Stanford. I saw one of those games (on TV)--and BYU was impressive. The Cougars, if they are anything like last year's team, will probably be our toughest opponent all year, and that includes florida. A tie or a win against Washington would be a nice confidence booster going into the SEC schedule.

It looks like the SEC has come to its senses and started playing more Thursday-Sunday conference games, which is much better than the Friday-Sunday games the conference has been playing in recent years and which do not allow the players much rest. There are still at least three Friday-Sunday combinations on the Vol schedule, but also two or three Thursday-Sunday combos. What will be challenging is that UT will play BYU in Utah on a Friday, and then fly to D.C. to play American 36 hours later! That's going to be tough--and we will need a result against American.

I hope Pensky plays Wilkinson as a lone striker this year and gets more of his midfield talent on the field--especially some attacking/playmaking talent. The 4-3-3 he favors has been notably ineffective for three years. We shall see.

Tennessee Soccer Releases Schedule for 2016 Season - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 4 people
I thought BYU was an independent school, similar to Notre Dame. The University of Utah is in the PAC12 conference.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the info. I'd just like to see a season without major injuries for a change...:)

GO LADY VOLS SOCCER!

Thanks for the correction on BYU's conference--sorry about that. I haven't analyzed it, but I think that in soccer the West Coast conference as good as the Pac12, top to bottom, or close to it. Portland and Pepperdine have good programs, San Francisco beat BYU last year, and Santa Clara was very good last year. Whatever the conference, the cougars will be a major test.

VN Store

Back