Concussions in women are more frequent & take longer to heal

I really think that there should be no more "heading" of the ball in soccer. Traditionalists will object--but "heading" is the cause of most concussions in soccer, and there are quite a few of them. Some come from a player hitting the ball with the wrong part of his/her head--the top of the head, for example, instead of the front/forhead part--but more come from opposing players knocking their heads together as they both jump up to head the ball.

Problem is, to ban heading would be to change soccer quite significantly, because a lot of goals are scored by players heading the ball into the net--from corner kicks and from crosses into the box. Most of the time that a ball is crossed or kicked into the box, it gets headed by somebody one way or another. Everyone would have to let the ball hit their body or drop to the ground. The change wouldn't kill the sport, but would take some getting used to. Of course I don't see this happening for a long time, if ever.

Reactions: 1 person
I really think that there should be no more "heading" of the ball in soccer. Traditionalists will object--but "heading" is the cause of most concussions in soccer, and there are quite a few of them. Some come from a player hitting the ball with the wrong part of his/her head--the top of the head, for example, instead of the front/forhead part--but more come from opposing players knocking their heads together as they both jump up to head the ball.

Problem is, to ban heading would be to change soccer quite significantly, because a lot of goals are scored by players heading the ball into the net--from corner kicks and from crosses into the box. Most of the time that a ball is crossed or kicked into the box, it gets headed by somebody one way or another. Everyone would have to let the ball hit their body or drop to the ground. The change wouldn't kill the sport, but would take some getting used to. Of course I don't see this happening for a long time, if ever.

I agree with you. Soccer involves heading the ball just as much as kicking it. Abby Wambach has even came out & said she thought she had gotten at least 2-3 concussions throughout her soccer career. We all know she's one of the best & header dominate soccer payers ever. She's scored more goals with headers than any other way.

One other former USA women's soccer player has also spoke about this topic. She said they(FIFA,etc.) need to perform more studies about what headers can do to the brain/head over periods of time. The soccer ball is not heavy but when you use your head over & over to play the game it has to affect the brain aka concussions.

We don't see too many concussions in basketball because of the way the sport is played differently than football. Not really many in baseball/softball either. Behind football, soccer would have to rank #2 as far as concussions & risk for concussions.

Like you said they will probably never ban heading the soccer ball though. It's been a part of the sport since its existence. However, they have started changing concussion rules in a lot of sports. They might one day put it into consideration but that would probably be years down the road.

I agree with you. Soccer involves heading the ball just as much as kicking it. Abby Wambach has even came out & said she thought she had gotten at least 2-3 concussions throughout her soccer career. We all know she's one of the best & header dominate soccer payers ever. She's scored more goals with headers than any other way.

One other former USA women's soccer player has also spoke about this topic. She said they(FIFA,etc.) need to perform more studies about what headers can do to the brain/head over periods of time. The soccer ball is not heavy but when you use your head over & over to play the game it has to affect the brain aka concussions.

We don't see too many concussions in basketball because of the way the sport is played differently than football. Not really many in baseball/softball either. Behind football, soccer would have to rank #2 as far as concussions & risk for concussions.

Like you said they will probably never ban heading the soccer ball though. It's been a part of the sport since its existence. However, they have started changing concussion rules in a lot of sports. They might one day put it into consideration but that would probably be years down the road.

I don't see soccer ever doing away with heading, it's just too integral to the game since hands aren't used. But I could see them possibly requiring some kind of headgear for protection. Some goalies already use them.

I watched UT women play basketball for 20 years and never saw or heard of anybody getting a concussion. Then we had three in two years. Massengale got hit in the face midway through the season, as I recall, not even the head, didn't look all that bad to me, and did play the rest of the year. I think either Massengale or the trainers were being extra cautious. Then Jones had two concussions in two years. It's only anecdotal but I get a sense women are more susceptible.

RE soccer: I believe some women now wear a special headband that has some padding for headings. Haven't read anything about it, but have noticed newish-looking headbands that look rubberized. I could be wrong--they may simply be headbands--but it is probably a good idea, as a headband covers the part of head where heading occurs. I've seen many players crash their heads together when they both go up and try to head the same ball. Ouch.

Reactions: 2 people
I watched UT women play basketball for 20 years and never saw or heard of anybody getting a concussion. Then we had three in two years. Massengale got hit in the face midway through the season, as I recall, not even the head, didn't look all that bad to me, and did play the rest of the year. I think either Massengale or the trainers were being extra cautious. Then Jones had two concussions in two years. It's only anecdotal but I get a sense women are more susceptible.

I don't know how you can keep making that claim. :banghead2: Massengale had had several concussions prior to that injury, was symptomatic for months, and the medical staff were following established guidelines for concussion management. Medical science has advanced considerably in the diagnosis and treatment of concussions in the past 20 years, such that they're not missed now just because an impact "didn't look all that bad." Reynolds also had a concussion last year. Tamika Catchings has had multiple concussions and now serves as a speaker for several organizations that work to elevate awareness and raise money for this injury.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't know how you can keep making that claim. :banghead2: Massengale had had several concussions prior to that injury, was symptomatic for months, and the medical staff were following established guidelines for concussion management. Medical science has advanced considerably in the diagnosis and treatment of concussions in the past 20 years, such that they're not missed now just because an impact "didn't look all that bad." Reynolds also had a concussion last year. Tamika Catchings has had multiple concussions and now serves as a speaker for several organizations that work to elevate awareness and raise money for this injury.

And, as with many sports, the game is getting much more physical.

RE soccer: I believe some women now wear a special headband that has some padding for headings. Haven't read anything about it, but have noticed newish-looking headbands that look rubberized. I could be wrong--they may simply be headbands--but it is probably a good idea, as a headband covers the part of head where heading occurs. I've seen many players crash their heads together when they both go up and try to head the same ball. Ouch.

Please explain how massingale got hit in the face, but not the head? As someone who knows the close members of her family, it was not her first, but she suffered very badly from symptoms still to this day, and no, she did not play the rest of the year.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back