Kentucky down to 6 players

I do not follow women's basketball real closely, but even I have seen that Ky has been having some major attrition from program. Makes you wonder what is going on for sure!

I read that some of the recruits backed out because they had bonded with the assistant coaches who are no longer there.

Reactions: 2 people
Signee Chanin Scott, 6'0" wing from NC, has been given her release and has opened recruiting process per her mother.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/732560737214685185

https://twitter.com/vaughtsviews/status/732551514003275777

Any idea's of how they fill the vacancy's? I know they have at least 3 girls between 6'3" and 6'5" who played High School Basketball that are currently on their Volleyball team. I also would be surprised if a few of the players who play softball there or are on track and field that have played some high school ball. At this point I'd put a flyer on the school campus requesting former high school basketball come out for a few tryouts and see what you can land for at least 1 season

Kyra has her work cut out for her now.

If she can't get recruits to come to UK with all the playing time available, UK will be at the bottom of the SEC for several years.

Tennessee was recruiting Scott, and we made her final list. Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Indiana and East Carolina.

From what I remember, she is more defensive than offense, but she was also on a highly talented high school team, they were ranked up their with Blackman Highschool, and avg. about 12 pts a game. Just from reading on her, her role/style seems to similar to Meme.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee was recruiting Scott, and we made her final list. Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Indiana and East Carolina.

From what I remember, she is more defensive than offense, but she was also on a highly talented high school team, they were ranked up their with Blackman Highschool, and avg. about 12 pts a game. Just from reading on her, her role/style seems to similar to Meme.

When Pat was there the list of schools that the players were considering sounded like this: Tennessee, Connecticut, Stanford, Baylor, and the home state school. We recruited the very best players back then, now they don't even consider Tennessee.

Last edited:

Of the schools who made her final list you would have to think if we still had interest and she still was interested in the same list of school we would be the school she picks

When Pat was there the list of schools that the players were considering sounded like this: Tennessee, Connecticut, Stanford, Baylor, and the home state school. We recruited the very best players back then, now they don't even consider Tennessee.

That's not true.

We were in the final lists for the #1, 2, 7, 9, 10, 24, & 35 players in the country last season. We are in the final lists with several Top 20 players this season.

We didn't get them, but that doesn't mean was out of the picture.

Reactions: 9 people
We may be on the final list of some of the very best players, but the fact that we don't get a single one tells you all you need to know. Until we get a great coach, and I think we still can, the best players are going where they have a chance to win championships.

Reactions: 3 people
I doubt that its they go place were they can win championships now days its more about relationship.. I mean virgina and north Carolina got top 100 recruits. and when has Virginia won a championship ill wait.

We may be on the final list of some of the very best players, but the fact that we don't get a single one tells you all you need to know. Until we get a great coach, and I think we still can, the best players are going where they have a chance to win championships.

No, it tells me that both Cox & Holmes wanted to stay close to home in Texas, which they did. McCoy's Dad basically sold his daughter to OSU in exchange for offering the other daughter a scholarship, which Holly wouldn't do.

Had we not recruited these three and focused on others who had expressed high interested in coming to Tennessee, the 2016 class would've been much better.

If you didn't like Holly before, you aren't going to like her in the future, so there's no point in arguing about it. She could sign the #1 recruiting class and there will still be "fans" who want her gone.

Reactions: 9 people
No, it tells me that both Cox & Holmes wanted to stay close to home in Texas, which they did. McCoy's Dad basically sold his daughter to OSU in exchange for offering the other daughter a scholarship, which Holly wouldn't do.

Had we not recruited these three and focused on others who had expressed high interested in coming to Tennessee, the 2016 class would've been much better.

If you didn't like Holly before, you aren't going to like her in the future, so there's no point in arguing about it. She could sign the #1 recruiting class and there will still be "fans" who want her gone.

Was McCoy good enough to where she would have been worth the 2 scholarships? Is having Harris by herself better for us than McCoy and her sister?

I don't think she is the best coach for the program but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she can improve I am not as hard on her now as I was before because I have witness some improvement, I just find it hard to be on a bench for so many years and when you get the chance to run the program of your dreams you don't make the necessary steps needed to keep it at the top

Was McCoy good enough to where she would have been worth the 2 scholarships? Is having Harris by herself better for us than McCoy and her sister?

Doesn't matter if she was good enough, Holly isn't going to bend to the will of a parent. That opens an entire can of worms that no program would want.

Reactions: 10 people
Doesn't matter if she was good enough, Holly isn't going to bend to the will of a parent. That opens an entire can of worms that no program would want.

I am glad she didn't do that either, I like that we keep the integrity of our program and don't bend the rules like other programs do

Originally Posted by mtsuraider06 View Post

I don't think she is the best coach for the program but I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and see if she can improve I am not as hard on her now as I was before because I have witness some improvement, I just find it hard to be on a bench for so many years and when you get the chance to run the program of your dreams you don't make the necessary steps needed to keep it at the top

Holly is making strides. I was down on this staff as hard as anyone, but I can see more progress in decisions, recruiting and off-season focus and attempts at solving problems, more so right now, than at any time in the season's past. I too, believe this to be a crucial year.

I also believe that this will be the year things turn back into the right direction. There is a sense of focus that has not been there in the prior 3 seasons.

Originally Posted by mtsuraider06 View Post

Holly is making strides. I was down on this staff as hard as anyone, but I can see more progress in decisions, recruiting and off-season focus and attempts at solving problems, more so right now, than at any time in the season's past. I too, believe this to be a crucial year.

I also believe that this will be the year things turn back into the right direction. There is a sense of focus that has not been there in the prior 3 seasons.

I'm with you coach and I hope it leads to cutting down the nets come next April!

What has got into Jumper? He hammered Warlick all last season--as did many, including myself--and now he's all peaches and cream. Maybe it's because he's hoping for some UT business? Hey, if true, I can appreciate the need for political expediency.

I seriously doubt that Warlick is "making strides." On what would one base that remark? The team last year underachieved tremendously. It made a decent showing in a couple of NCAA tournament games because DeShields finally stopped feeling sorry for herself-- or stopped whatever it was that troubled her all year--and started playing good basketball. But we still got waxed in the Elite 8 for the THIRD straight time under Warlick--and it's not like any of those defeats were to a national title contender. Recruiting last year was the WORST EVER. So all of this newfound optimism is a bit perplexing. Is our offense going to be better? Ha, good luck with that one! Our offense hasn't been good three years out of the last 15.

I mean, we have a chance to have a pretty good team next year--but there's also a very good chance that we will stumble around and lose games and underachieve again. That's out habit. Our guard play could be sketchy again--it is every year--and we have no shooters, with the exception of DD when she is on, and outside shooting isn't really her game. Who else? Dunbar, but she's probably not going to play a lot next year either. After that there is NOBODY--and you can bet that we'll see zone defenses all next year too.

What has got into Jumper? He hammered Warlick all last season--as did many, including myself--and now he's all peaches and cream. Maybe it's because he's hoping for some UT business? Hey, if true, I can appreciate the need for political expediency.

I seriously doubt that Warlick is "making strides." On what would one base that remark? The team last year underachieved tremendously. It made a decent showing in a couple of NCAA tournament games because DeShields finally stopped feeling sorry for herself-- or stopped whatever it was that troubled her all year--and started playing good basketball. But we still got waxed in the Elite 8 for the THIRD straight time under Warlick--and it's not like any of those defeats were to a national title contender. Recruiting last year was the WORST EVER. So all of this newfound optimism is a bit perplexing. Is our offense going to be better? Ha, good luck with that one! Our offense hasn't been good three years out of the last 15.

I mean, we have a chance to have a pretty good team next year--but there's also a very good chance that we will stumble around and lose games and underachieve again. That's out habit. Our guard play could be sketchy again--it is every year--and we have no shooters, with the exception of DD when she is on, and outside shooting isn't really her game. Who else? Dunbar, but she's probably not going to play a lot next year either. After that there is NOBODY--and you can bet that we'll see zone defenses all next year too.

Damnnit Armchair, I thought you were finally getting on the positive bandwagon! Smh

Lots of folks including myself could do a better job at coaching the Lady Vols than Holly. With players like Mercedes Russell, Diamond Deshields and Jaime Nared on the team what more do you want? To get them to play as a team you have to have a coach that knows offense. Holly doesn't know an offense to save her life.
And that's exactly why the Lady Vols dropped out of the top 25 and didn't make it to the Final Four. HELLO?!

She's still the coach so she has another chance to either find success or never make a Final Four in her tenure. :crazy:

Keeping it real never sounded so good. Each and every word verbatim is on point. I ain't got nothing to add.

THANK YOU!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

VN Store

Back