Shekinna Strickland

Great news!

Now I had been waiting patiently for Shekinna to bust out from being a role player to the go-to-player. Hopefully this season?

Great news!

Now I had been waiting patiently for Shekinna to bust out from being a role player to the go-to-player. Hopefully this season?

Not with Alyssa Thomas ahead of her in the rotation.

Not with Alyssa Thomas ahead of her in the rotation.

For me Shekinna is a much better 3pt shooter than Alyssa and she's a lot more athletic than her, too. If only Shekinna would just believe in her skill set a lot more she would be a starter and an all star by now.

Alyssa Thomas is lot more vocal and animated while playing. Shekinna? Unfortunately she's always been kind of low key with her performance. I'm anxious to see her become the player that I believe she can become and that is a GREAT PLAYER. But it is all wishful thinking on my behalf as I don't have a clue on what Shekinna goals are as a WNBA player. Best of luck to her, though!

For me Shekinna is a much better 3pt shooter than Alyssa and she's a lot more athletic than her, too. If only Shekinna would just believe in her skill set a lot more she would be a starter and an all star by now.

Alyssa Thomas is lot more vocal and animated while playing. Shekinna? Unfortunately she's always been kind of low key with her performance. I'm anxious to see her become the player that I believe she can become and that is a GREAT PLAYER. But it is all wishful thinking on my behalf as I don't have a clue on what Shekinna goals are as a WNBA player. Best of luck to her, though!

I would have love to see Stricklen traded to LA to play at the 3 spot next to Candace Parker. I think part of the reason she hasn't been as great as she could be in the league is because she hasn't had the coaches support/trust. She played great in college (although I wish she didn't have to play the PG position so much while she was here) and it would've transferred over to the league if she was able to land with the right team who needed her. I think she will have a great season!

I would have love to see Stricklen traded to LA to play at the 3 spot next to Candace Parker. I think part of the reason she hasn't been as great as she could be in the league is because she hasn't had the coaches support/trust. She played great in college (although I wish she didn't have to play the PG position so much while she was here) and it would've transferred over to the league if she was able to land with the right team who needed her. I think she will have a great season!

I agree I don't think the Sun is the right place for her. The Sparks and San Antonio Silver Stars would be a lot better because of the coaching and players that they have.

Reactions: 1 person

Shekinna is a better 3-pt shooter, but Alyssa is the better player. She can score in a variety of ways, and is a great playmaker and rebounder. I don't think that Shekinna will get the chance to develop playing behind Thomas, who is still young, and now Morgan Tuck...unless they more her to the SG. Problem is that there are good, young players there too.

She would have more opportunities on another team. She would fit in well with Dallas and fill their need for an athletic long range threat at the wing. I agree that she needs to become a bit more demonstrative on court though. She looks passive even when she's playing hard.

Stricklen was an enigma at UT. Talented, to be sure, but, as Amb says, too passive. You could count on her for one good half of basketball--and only one half. The other half she would drift around, play passively, and do little. Should have been a better player than she was. Cooper played a lot like her last year, though Cooper was more /actively/ bad while Stricklen would just seem to disappear for stretches, which is not what you want from your go-to player.

Stricklen was an enigma at UT. Talented, to be sure, but, as Amb says, too passive. You could count on her for one good half of basketball--and only one half. The other half she would drift around, play passively, and do little. Should have been a better player than she was. Cooper played a lot like her last year, though Cooper was more /actively/ bad while Stricklen would just seem to disappear for stretches, which is not what you want from your go-to player.

She was no enigma to me. The coaches chose to play her out of position and that severely hampered her development. She should have been a 3 looking to score and they stuck her at point with the job of getting everyone else involved. Whenever I see her name I just shake my head and think of what might've been.

Reactions: 2 people
She was no enigma to me. The coaches chose to play her out of position and that severely hampered her development. She should have been a 3 looking to score and they stuck her at point with the job of getting everyone else involved. Whenever I see her name I just shake my head and think of what might've been.

Same thing I said, I felt sorry for her when she was here because she never complained when everyone knew she was out of position. Had she had a true PG like Shannon Bobbit with her during the time she was here it was no doubt in my mind she would be thought of in the likes of Catchings, Candace, Holdsclaw. Her playing the Point really hurt us and I believe made her more passive because Pat expected her to do so much after we didn't recruit the best guards with her class.

Same thing I said, I felt sorry for her when she was here because she never complained when everyone knew she was out of position. Had she had a true PG like Shannon Bobbit with her during the time she was here it was no doubt in my mind she would be thought of in the likes of Catchings, Candace, Holdsclaw. Her playing the Point really hurt us and I believe made her more passive because Pat expected her to do so much after we didn't recruit the best guards with her class.

We did have a true PG but the coaching staff completely gave up on Bass during her freshman year. I remember seeing her in the SEC tournament that year and thought she's young and makes some mistakes but she's got some potential. Her quickness really made a difference the little time she was on the floor against Auburn. She was just a freshman but her career went absolutely nowhere.

That is true about the guard situation when Stricklen was here. If you want to know why things started to go south for the program, IMO it was because Summitt and her staff lost their recruiting touch, especially with guards. Our guard recruiting was not good. You are not going to be good with mediocre guard play--and that's what we've had for a LONG time.

VN Store

Back