Five Vols Earn SEC Postseason Recognition

2Alum4EverVol

Reactions: 4 people
I definitely think Geer deserved to be in there somewhere. All-SEC 2nd team for sure but she had a bad defensive year after switching positions. Overstreet had solid numbers too though.

Overstreet's numbers: .362, 12 HR, 56 RBI(2nd on team)
Geer's numbers: .381, 9 HR, 51 RBI, 32 BB(2nd on team)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Geer's .381 average, and an on-base percentage of virtually .50, are quite impressive. I'm curious to know how many SEC players had higher numbers. In fact, her numbers virtually match those of Gregg. You can't tell me Geer and Overstreet didn't have /at least/ second team all SEC years--but then these awards selections are always problematic.

I believe Geer's numbers are better than those of first-team Georgia infielder DiCarlo. And I think her BA is better than the two other georgia infielders that made second team. Typically lame decision making by the conference. Geer easily should have been named Second Team All Conference.

I believe Geer's numbers are better than those of first-team Georgia infielder DiCarlo. And I think her BA is better than the two other georgia infielders that made second team. Typically lame decision making by the conference. Geer easily should have been named Second Team All Conference.

Do you think Geer's defensive problems played a factor in her not making it? Her offensive numbers are great. She did have quite a few errors at 3B. Both fielding & throwing. Did you check DiCarlo's defensive stats compared to Geer?

I don't know how much emphasis the committee members put into selecting players based on defense but it could have been a factor for Geer not making it. It sure isn't her offense that's for sure. Geer did have the 2nd highest number of errors on the team behind Leach.

You could actually make the argument that Geer could have been not only 1st or 2nd Team All-SEC. You could say she should have been 1st or 2nd team All-American nationally if you ask me. No worse than honorable mention All-American.

they couldn't all be picked first team...:)

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregg should be our AA this year. Her offense and defense for the most part were great. Geer's defense caused her to not be highly considered . The move from center to 3rd hurt but was mostly helpful to the team. Lexi should have mad at least 2nd team but I assume the problems behind the plate hurt her. Mostly none of this matters now so they all can prove there was a mistake by not putting on the team by winning this tournament .
Just my 2 cents worth.

Gregg should be our AA this year. Her offense and defense for the most part were great. Geer's defense caused her to not be highly considered . The move from center to 3rd hurt but was mostly helpful to the team. Lexi should have mad at least 2nd team but I assume the problems behind the plate hurt her. Mostly none of this matters now so they all can prove there was a mistake by not putting on the team by winning this tournament .
Just my 2 cents worth.

I could go with you on Gregg being an All-American. She has the stats/numbers to prove it. But, both Geer & Overstreet got shafted. They should at a minimum be no lower than 2nd team All-SEC. Geer should probably be 1st team.

Several players had solid offensive seasons though on this team. I just think when it comes down to it Geer & Overstreet were both the keys to our offense though. Nobody was the key to our defense. That's for sure! :eek:

We had a poor season on defense but also had a lot of position changes & newcomers as well. Leach & Vines adapted well to this team as freshmen. We all know how great of a season Matty Moss had pitching in her 1st season in Knoxville.

Geer hit some 55 points higher than Hugo of Georgia, plus better RBI and OBA numbers--55 points higher! How hugo made second team is a scandal. Who are the boobs who vote on this? And if it's the coaches, I'd say they are biased boobs too.

Bianca Bell's---LSU's first team infielder--had, get this, 18 errors this year! 18 errors! That surely makes her the worst fielder in the conference. She had excellent offensive numbers--but you can't name an infielder with 18 errors first-team all conference. What idiots. And overlooking Geer was a scandal.

As for our gray uniforms, I think they are the BEST looking uniforms the Vols have EVER had. Smoky gray and orange is a fantastic color combination--it just is. I'm loyal to orange and white, of course--but white doesn't offer enough contrast to the orange, it is a blah combo. There is a strength and handsomeness to the gray and orange. I just wish the soccer team would wear that combo too and get rid of their hideous checkerboard tops.

Last edited:
Geer hit some 55 points higher than Hugo of Georgia, plus better RBI and OBA numbers--55 points higher! How hugo made second team is a scandal. Who are the boobs who vote on this? And if it's the coaches, I'd say they are biased boobs too.

Bianca Bell's---LSU's first team infielder--had, get this, 18 errors this year! 18 errors! That surely makes her the worst fielder in the conference. She had excellent offensive numbers--but you can't name an infielder with 18 errors first-team all conference. What idiots. And overlooking Geer was a scandal.

As for our gray uniforms, I think they are the BEST looking uniforms the Vols have EVER had. Smoky gray and orange is a fantastic color combination--it just is. I'm loyal to orange and white, of course--but white doesn't offer enough contrast to the orange, it is a blah combo. There is a strength and handsomeness to the gray and orange. I just wish the soccer team would wear that combo too and get rid of their hideous checkerboard tops.

I'm not sure who votes for the All-SEC teams but I believe it is the coaches.

As for Bianca Bell's 18 errors. That was one of the points I was trying to make as to maybe why Geer didn't make it but she only had 9 errors. Leach had the most on our team with 16 errors but she had a solid offensive season too like Bell.

I don't think they put much emphasis on defense as for picking these players but why didn't Geer make it if not so? Overstreet you could say the same. She only had 5 errors but I know she had as many if not more passed balls but her offense was great.

At least we had 3 very deserving freshmen to make it though. All 3 of them have played huge roles for us this season. Moss has been unbelievable pitching. I never would have thought she would have come in her freshman season & outpitch Gabriel but she did. Both Leach & Vines had really decent offensive seasons as well.

Leach had a really tough time playing 2B though. Most of her errors were fielding but she also had a few throwing errors as well but I think her hitting well wipes out her defensive woes for her 1st season as a Lady Vol.

BTW, I too love the smoky gray unis. I like them in football & softball.

Last edited:
anybody who likes those Gawd awful grays should be put on ignore status. They have neither credibility nor intelligence.

anybody who likes those Gawd awful grays should be put on ignore status. They have neither credibility nor intelligence.

Everybody has their own preference. I just like them myself. Both the football & softball teams look good in them. I guess you don't like the total orange helmets either for football?

I feel your justifiable indignation/rage and 110% agree with you armchair, Tony, et al.

I just checked Ashley Walters' (1st team All-SEC catcher) and Aubree Munro's (2nd team All-SEC catcher) stats against our own Lexi's. Please see the below and tell me who should've been on the 1st team, 2nd team and who should have been left off:

A. .353 AVG, 32 Runs, 9 HRs, 53 RBI, .587 SLG%, .989 FLD%
B. .274 AVG, 13 Runs, 2 HRs, 15 RBI, .368 SLG%, 1.000 FLD%
C. .363 AVG, 48 Runs, 12 HRs, 56 RBI, .719 SLG%, .987 FLD%

Clearly C is the winner followed by A and then B, right?
Guess what, C is for Lexi, A is for Walters and B is for Munro. Walters posted respectable numbers but Munro's offensive numbers feel paltry and seem anemic when put against Lexi's. Sure, Munro's a great defensive catcher playing on #1-ranked team, a two-time defending national champion at that, with the best pitching staff in the country. But, in this case her reputation being a do-no-wrong super-defensive catcher and media bias seemed to have helped Munro usurp the All-SEC award from more worthy Lexi.

As it has always been the case, awards/honors is a largely meritocratic popularity/beauty contest, and our pageant contestant Lexi ended up getting the short end of the stick.

Same for Megan Geer who put up some phenomenal numbers this season. (She definitely played a better defense than what I initially thought.) But Bianca Bell is a member of USA National Team, you know. And Hugo is the beloved reigning home run queen of college softball after graduation of Lauren Chamberlain/Lauren Haeger...

I was surprised that Sydney Smith of LSU didn't make the All-SEC Freshman team. She had a fantastic freshman campaign posting 12-2 & 0.59 ERA. 0.59 ERA! In my book, Smith would have been on the team ahead of Samantha Show who posted 23-9 & 3.69 ERA. But Show had a good year in the batter's box (.277 AVG, 12 HRs) so maybe that's what put her ahead of Smith...

Last edited:
I feel your justifiable indignation/rage and 110% agree with you armchair, Tony, et al.

I just checked Ashley Walters' (1st team All-SEC catcher) and Aubree Munro's (2nd team All-SEC catcher) stats against our own Lexi's. Please see the below and tell me who should've been on the 1st team, 2nd team and who should have been left off:

A. .353 AVG, 32 Runs, 9 HRs, 53 RBI, .587 SLG%, .989 FLD%
B. .274 AVG, 13 Runs, 2 HRs, 15 RBI, .368 SLG%, 1.000 FLD%
C. .363 AVG, 48 Runs, 12 HRs, 56 RBI, .719 SLG%, .987 FLD%

Clearly C is the winner followed by A and then B, right?
Guess what, C is for Lexi, A is for Walters and B is for Munro. Walters posted respectable numbers but Munro's offensive numbers feel paltry and seem anemic when put against Lexi's. Sure, Munro's a great defensive catcher playing on #1-ranked team, a two-time defending national champion at that, with the best pitching staff in the country. But, in this case her reputation being a do-no-wrong super-defensive catcher and media bias seemed to have helped Munro usurp the All-SEC award from more worthy Lexi.

As it has always been the case, awards/honors is a largely meritocratic popularity/beauty contest, and our pageant contestant Lexi ended up getting the short end of the stick.

Same for Megan Geer who put up some phenomenal numbers this season. (She definitely played a better defense than what I initially thought.) But Bianca Bell is a member of USA National Team, you know. And Hugo is the beloved reigning home run queen of college softball after graduation of Lauren Chamberlain/Lauren Haeger...

I was surprised that Sydney Smith of LSU didn't make the All-SEC Freshman team. She had a fantastic freshman campaign posting 12-2 & 0.59 ERA. 0.59 ERA! In my book, Smith would have been on the team ahead of Samantha Show who posted 23-9 & 3.69 ERA. But Show had a good year in the batter's box (.277 AVG, 12 HRs) so maybe that's what put her ahead of Smith...

I think you hit the nail on the head. Munro being on UF is what got her on the All-SEC team & not Overstreet even though Overstreet's stats/numbers were better overall.

I didn't realize Bianca Bell was on the USA National team. What was I thinking there? I guess that automatically qualifies her over Geer to make the All-SEC team. :ermm:

I agree that Smith with her pitching stats should have been ahead of Show as well to make it in. I guess Show & her little bit of hitting added on did the trick to get her over the top of Smith but I still disagree.

Smith put up great numbers as a pitcher. That ERA of hers in unreal especially for a freshman. How did they keep her out too just like Geer & Overstreet? Weird nominations for sure this season.

Wow, Overstreet got jilted terribly too. Munro's numbers are not even close. Pathetic.

What I do not like about All Star teams is that they limit the number of players from one team that make it no matter how well they have played. Leaving Overstreet and Geer off is pathetic. Both are definitely in the top 10 to 15 players in the league.

What I do not like about All Star teams is that they limit the number of players from one team that make it no matter how well they have played. Leaving Overstreet and Geer off is pathetic. Both are definitely in the top 10 to 15 players in the league.

Do you know what the player limits are for each team to make it? What's the most players from any one single team that can make it if you know?

Do you know what the player limits are for each team to make it? What's the most players from any one single team that can make it if you know?

I don't know the answer to that. Looking at the stats above it seems clear that Overstreet is the best catcher if stats is the only criteria.

I don't know the answer to that. Looking at the stats above it seems clear that Overstreet is the best catcher if stats is the only criteria.

Yes, Overstreet is the best catcher in the SEC going by stats alone. I don't see how 7 errors & a few passed balls could hurt her enough to be kept off the teams. Defensive stats I would believe plays a minor role in choosing the players but I could be wrong too.

Geer didn't have a good year on defense either at 3B so maybe it's defense more than we think keeping them off the All-SEC teams. Or, like you said, player limits for each team.

I'd like to know who votes on All SEC. Some of their choices were pathetic--wrong. Supposedly Munro was chosen second team because she is an excellent defensive catcher. Fine--but her offensive numbers were not even mediocre. Overstreet's BA was about 100 points higher, something like 12-2 in home runs, slugging percentage that was twice as good, and Overstreet is a solid catcher--perhaps not great, but solid.

I think Bell led the league in errors, and yet made First Team, no doubt on her national team reputation--and clearly defense was not a consideration with her. Blockhead voters.

I'd like to know who votes on All SEC. Some of their choices were pathetic--wrong. Supposedly Munro was chosen second team because she is an excellent defensive catcher. Fine--but her offensive numbers were not even mediocre. Overstreet's BA was about 100 points higher, something like 12-2 in home runs, slugging percentage that was twice as good, and Overstreet is a solid catcher--perhaps not great, but solid.

I think Bell led the league in errors, and yet made First Team, no doubt on her national team reputation--and clearly defense was not a consideration with her. Blockhead voters.

From the article: The awards were voted on by the league's head coaches.

Ashley Walters' defense or lack thereof in the bottom of the 7th inning let her team down BIG TIME yesterday even though she hit that 3-run bomb earlier to put the Aggies ahead for awhile. The announcer Adam Amin said that Walters had an issue with passed balls all season long. Definitely didn't look like the best catcher in the SEC. I think Lexi would have caught that ball with her eyes closed. :)

Hugo made a mess of playing 2nd base yesterday. Every time I watch them Dawgs play, Hugo seems to make at least two terrible errors in the field. Definitely didn't look like the second team All-SEC selection yesterday. Geer is definitely a better fielder than Hugo IMO.

VN Store

Back