Please Post Your Thoughts On Gabriel's Medical Redshirt Chances

hokievol12

I had not even heard about this being a possibility until yesterday! That would be huge for next season! My personal first reaction was...won't happen...medical redshirts are rare! Hoping I'm WRONG!!! What do some of you folks think?

Question ....what year ....when she was a sophomore ? If she meets all requirements for that year she certainly could get a medical redshirt.ie did not play in games that exceeded the limits ,etc.I must admit I have no clue about softball .... only for football and basketball.She certainly would not qualify for one this year or last year because she simply played in too many games.

Question ....what year ....when she was a sophomore ? If she meets all requirements for that year she certainly could get a medical redshirt.ie did not play in games that exceeded the limits ,etc.I must admit I have no clue about softball .... only for football and basketball.She certainly would not qualify for one this year or last year because she simply played in too many games.

Looks like she didn't play much her freshman year...did have 5 wins I think. Didn't play much her sophomore season...5 wins again I think. Surgery might have occurred between freshman and sophomore seasons, and more serious than first thought according to a couple of comments I've heard. Maybe Deerpark knows more about situation and guidelines for applying for such redshirt...

I have no idea what her chances are. If she comes back it'll be her, Moss, Bush, and Morrison pitching. I don't follow recruiting so I don't know who may be coming in next season as a freshman pitcher. I wonder if Bush or Morrison won't be able to pitch next season is why the redshirt request?

I have no idea what her chances are. If she comes back it'll be her, Moss, Bush, and Morrison pitching. I don't follow recruiting so I don't know who may be coming in next season as a freshman pitcher. I wonder if Bush or Morrison won't be able to pitch next season is why the redshirt request?

I'd say they probably want to redshirt either Bush or Morrison would be my guess. That's the only reason I'd think they would want Gabriel to come back for a 5th year. She did miss some time though due to those injuries back her freshman & sophomore seasons. It would be cool if it does happen that's for sure.

The reason they want her to come back is because she's a damn good pitcher and she has a decent chance of a medical redshirt. She lost both her freshman and sophomore seasons. They're requesting a redshirt for her freshman year because all her playing time was prior to conference play. She has a decent chance of it being granted, but of course medical redshirts are not carte blanche.

Reactions: 2 people
slim-pickens-blazingsaddles-1.jpg

and

Sam+Nunn+Xbb_kWj8eZWm.jpg

actually I don't know..just wanted to post pics of Slim Pickens and Sam Nunn :)

Reactions: 1 person
Kaitlyn Martin is the left handed pitcher from West Tennessee coming next year. Great left hand hitter and 1st baseman. Will most likely play somewhere.

I certainly hope that happens. Erin seems to have recovered from her injury about 98.789% by now. On Saturday against Ole Miss, her riseballs were clocked at 66-67 mph. I think she used to regularly throw in the upper 60s and occasionally in low 70s before the injury. If Erin comes back next year, look out, she may very well have 25+ wins IMO. She's a fighter, motivator and one determined individual. And a much better person. I'd love to see her one more year. Make it happen Ralph and Karen.

And the incoming freshman pitcher we'll have in regular rotation next year is Caylan Arnold from Maryville I believe. I'm hearing she's one good (power) pitcher with good spin on her ball. Maryville has produced some good softball players over the years starting with Sarah Fekete who was an All-American slapper for UT from 2003-2006.

I don't think she qualifies, since she played well past the halfway point (37th game) of her freshman year. The LVs played 64 games that season.

Here’s a brief overview of the medical hardship waiver rules for the various levels of college competition. Please note that at all levels, medical documentation from the time of the actual diagnosis of the injury or illness will need to be submitted with the waiver request to substantiate that the injury or illness was truly “season ending.”

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date).

Medical Hardship Waivers in College Athletics | Informed Athlete

I don't think she qualifies, since she played well past the halfway point (37th game) of her freshman year. The LVs played 64 games that season.

Here’s a brief overview of the medical hardship waiver rules for the various levels of college competition. Please note that at all levels, medical documentation from the time of the actual diagnosis of the injury or illness will need to be submitted with the waiver request to substantiate that the injury or illness was truly “season ending.”

NCAA Division I – An athlete must not have participated in more than three contests or 30 percent of their season schedule (whichever is greater) and not after the halfway point of the season (based on the number of contests rather than a particular date).

Medical Hardship Waivers in College Athletics | Informed Athlete

Doesn't seem she fits the category for another year going by what you posted. I was hoping so but we have 1 top pitching recruit coming in next season so it won't hurt that bad even though I hate it for Gabriel.

Last edited:
from what i've read on here,it most likely won't happen,which I hate,I'd love to see her have another year

Reactions: 1 person
Doesn't seem she fits the category for another year going by what you posted. I was hoping so but we have 1 top pitching recruit coming in next season so it won't hurt that bad even though I hate it for Gabriel.

Seems she exactly fits it.

VN Store

Back