Warlick wants....

I understand Holly wants her team to work and be more consistent, but in order for this program to take the next leap, the offense has to be address. Update this offense and make 3 point shooting a focal point. I also think we have the athletes to take advantage of the midrange game. I don't know if they need to hire a shooting coach or what, but our guards must get better also. Next season is wide open. I'm hoping Holly spends more time addressing the offense this off-season. Tennessee usually always play tough defense, but I feel like the offense is keeping us from being amongst the Elite.

Reactions: 1 person
Help is needed in qualitative areas Holly cites such as "work ethic", "effort", and "to compete"..... but I want the whole coaching staff to focus on tactical x's and o's.... fundamentals of the game, on which we were often beaten last year.

Reactions: 4 people
Until Nunn "signs" with Tennessee, which, given the circumstances, is unlikely, or enrolls in classes, the coaching staff is not allowed to utter her name as a recruit or a Lady Vol.

Be patient. Word is she intends to enroll in time for the June classes.

Jim

Until Nunn "signs" with Tennessee, which, given the circumstances, is unlikely, or enrolls in classes, the coaching staff is not allowed to utter her name as a recruit or a Lady Vol.

Be patient. Word is she intends to enroll in time for the June classes.

Jim

What do you mean unlikely? I hope this is a typo because I feel like she could step in and excel at the 4.

What do you mean unlikely? I hope this is a typo because I feel like she could step in and excel at the 4.

No, this wasn't a typo. Signing an LOI is the common procedure for a high school student making their commitment to a school. It is rarely, if ever done in the case of a transfer. A transfer student simply announces their intention to attend a particular school and then enrolls for classes.

I am not suggesting that Ms Nunn will not be in orange and white next season.

Jim

No, this wasn't a typo. Signing an LOI is the common procedure for a high school student making their commitment to a school. It is rarely, if ever done in the case of a transfer. A transfer student simply announces their intention to attend a particular school and then enrolls for classes.

I am not suggesting that Ms Nunn will not be in orange and white next season.

Jim

I understand now.

Warlick's problem has always been that she talks about "work ethic" and "heart" etc. endlessly when they are not the problem. Her leadership and the team's poor fundamentals and weak offense are the problems--and have been for years. Besides, cultivating a work ethic is also the responsibility of the coaches. Every year, after the first 5 or 8 games in which our offense has been terrible, Warlick will say something to the effect that the players just need to get in the gym and shoot more--as if that's the problem. As a coach, you make sure that the players are busting tail and shooting before or after practice all they can--that is not optional. I think, like all weak/mediocre coaches under pressure, Warlick wants to blame poor play on the players. Players do have bad games, no question, but the buck always stops with the coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
Warlick's problem has always been that she talks about "work ethic" and "heart" etc. endlessly when they are not the problem. Her leadership and the team's poor fundamentals and weak offense are the problems--and have been for years. Besides, cultivating a work ethic is also the responsibility of the coaches. Every year, after the first 5 or 8 games in which our offense has been terrible, Warlick will say something to the effect that the players just need to get in the gym and shoot more--as if that's the problem. As a coach, you make sure that the players are busting tail and shooting before or after practice all they can--that is not optional. I think, like all weak/mediocre coaches under pressure, Warlick wants to blame poor play on the players. Players do have bad games, no question, but the buck always stops with the coaches.

Absolutely right about the responsibility of the coaches. Teams take on the personality of their HC. Its an adage as old as the game... If you're not in there, they won't be. Unless they are self-motivated. Even then, they want to know they're not alone.

Does anybody ever get tired of of band aiding problems? Since when is it ok to be mediocre at tennessee? The problem with the lady vol basketball program is holly warlock ! It doesn't matter what she wants or does the players do not respond to her or give their all for her!

Reactions: 4 people
Does anybody ever get tired of of band aiding problems? Since when is it ok to be mediocre at tennessee? The problem with the lady vol basketball program is holly warlock ! It doesn't matter what she wants or does the players do not respond to her or give their all for her!

I agree we should be much better since holly is a warlock!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Work ethic was the trait most blatantly missing from the 2015-16 team. It was obvious all year that these girls weren't working on their shots, weren't spending extra time in the gym, and weren't giving 100% in many games. If Holly can figure out how to motivate the 2016-17 team, they can be very, very good.

The way Holly talks, work ethic is the panacea that, if accomplished, will lead us to the promised land..... In my thinking, this team needs to be coached on basic skills. As they are, they do not have what the top 4 or 6 teams in the country have..... I think work ethic does have to be addressed, but it, on its own, will not take us to the top.... I say this because I have long thought that we have the roster to compete at the very highest level. We need to be skilled at floor spacing, ball possession, shot selection, etc etc.... augmented every bit along the way by good work ethic.... then we will shine.

I believe holly has come to grips with certain things that need to change but lets be fair sometimes the girls played like there were ready to go home. they did not play like they did in the texas a&m game in the tournament all year if they had talent alone would have shaved 5 to 6 losses off./ but i do believe no one wants lady vols to be dominate again than holly warlick. so i believe there will be some changes.

++

No one, and I do mean no one has been tougher publicly than I have on Holly and this staff. I have been on them because I am a coach and I see things as a coach… Not as a fan, not as a parent, not as a staffer…Purely as a coach. I have called out Dean for being too soft in the layup contact drill posted mid season and gotten onto Jollette for not continuing to nurture and lead the struggling DD. The only one to escape my critique was Kyra. Maybe because she did nothing to ever make me know that she was here…….But there comes a time when you have to take a new look at things. Dean may not be able to legally put a lineman in front of those girls on contact layups, Jollette wasn’t put her to concentrate only one player, and Holly was not asked to assume this role, she was waylaid into it without a moment’s notice by a series of events, a perfect storm as it were... Our beloved Pat Summit was hit by the only illness, that scares me more than cancer. And this translated into her assistant, and friend, who had been a lifelong assistant, jumping directly into a head coach’s role. I can’t even imagine that situation. True, indeed, she has had a tumultuous period of growth. But consider, she didn’t go to a small college to get her HC feet wet, she was thrust into one of the top 4-5 visible programs in the nation and expected (By me and everyone else) to transition into a legend’s position without missing a step. It has taken her a while, but she is now making moves that are now truly molding this team and program into HER program…Not one “left to her”… She just faced arguably the worst time of her entire life and endured statistically one of the worst performances yet. Yet she has not given up. Instead she did the unthinkable and took a risk by changing her staff’s composite… Then, instead of succumbing to public outcry to go get a shooter, she filled the true loss this team had, with the absence of Basha. That took guts…And now we have, not only one to fill the future roll (Kumera), but also a proven one (Nunn) to carry some of the burden and to set an example for the young prodigy. And Holly did this without wasting a full scholarship. A plan that showed foresight, gumption and quite simply, smarts….. Now people are off of that horse and on to another. “Offense”. We have proven scorers and shooters on this team. And I know for a fact that they couldn’t wait for the spring semester finals to be over so they could work on their games… I know this! They will be ready for the open door that awaits them. With the loss of the big 3 at uconn, most off of the college world feels there is a kink in the armor.

No one but Holly knows her work ethic. But if it matches mine, she eats, sleeps and drinks this game and every moment spent is one trying to create a new way or solve an old problem. And heart, I know that as a coach, I am still looking for the player, who practices as hard as I coach!
. . I know that when I leave the gym after a workout or session… I have a digital voice recorder for notes in my car and scratch paper at work, my home desk, my car, and even beside my bed… Just in case I have an idea or thought as to how I can better do anything regarding the game I coach… I have over 2 reams of hand-written notes, over 440 drills on my terabyte external and another 500 or so pages of notes from emails and email publications I have done in my lifetime. Dating all the way back to the “Coach’s Note”,,, An email publication that Danielle Donehew received when she was here, as well as 108 D1 coaches or assistant coaches. And now I have written almost as much on the VolNation forum.

This is much more than a curiosity for me, it is my passion and my future. . . People also know of my own quest to become part of the solution… I, in no way, think I am on a class with proven college coaches. On the other hand I am confident that given an opportunity, I can be an asset to the UT program and am working tirelessly to get in front of the right people so I can find out once and for all, if I am ready to jump from AAU/exposure basketball into the bigs. I won’t give up my quest. Until I am shown that I am not as savvy as I consider myself to be. . . . But no matter what happens, until I am proven otherwise, I am fully in Holly’s corner. She has taken risks instead of going into a submission from the pressure around her and for that, I can only respect that fortitude. And she has earned my support by doing so. One of my favorite quotes in my entire life is …“The wholeness of life, is the willingness to risk.”…. Holly has taken risks… As have I.

Last edited:
funny, when Pat said she refuses to coach effort, she was considered a great coach, but when Holly has effort problems it is because of her!

Reactions: 3 people
Wow..... a lot of love and support for Holly.... I am glad she is getting support.... but some of the things you said, CJ, wow. I hear you saying that she is finally coming into her own after facing the obstacles in her way........ the particular time in her life, being "thrust into" the position.... etc...

I see someone who has had the reins 1 year as de facto head coach and now 4 years of head coaching on top of that after of course 30 plus years alongside the best in the business.... but I hear a lot of talk "Holly is really just now coming into her own" I still see the struggles of the team even today.... and they are many.....

I think your spirit is great.... as a fellow former coach, I just do not see the optimism you see..... in fact I do not see another Elite 8.... but I am glad you do

Wow..... a lot of love and support for Holly.... I am glad she is getting support.... but some of the things you said, CJ, wow. I hear you saying that she is finally coming into her own after facing the obstacles in her way........ the particular time in her life, being "thrust into" the position.... etc...

I see someone who has had the reins 1 year as de facto head coach and now 4 years of head coaching on top of that after of course 30 plus years alongside the best in the business.... but I hear a lot of talk "Holly is really just now coming into her own" I still see the struggles of the team even today.... and they are many.....

I think your spirit is great.... as a fellow former coach, I just do not see the optimism you see..... in fact I do not see another Elite 8.... but I am glad you do

It takes 24 hours to make a day, but only minutes to go from dark to light.... I think Holly is about to finally dawn... I said it in an earlier post... Her next few moves will determine her future.... I like what I've seen

Last edited:

VN Store

Back