What is Holly Warlick's Coaching Philosophy?

PineyBluff Vol

One of the greatest coaches and Holly's mentor had this as her philosophy...The great coach Pat Summitt had a philosophy that was a simple list of 12 points known as “The Definite Dozen”. These points showcased her expectations of her team.

Pat Summitt’s Definite Dozen

Respect yourself and others
Take full responsibility
Develop and demonstrate loyalty
Learn to be a great communicator
Discipline yourself so no one else has to
Make hard work your passion
Don’t just work hard- work smart
Put the team before yourself
Make winning an attitude
Be a competitor
Change is a must
Handle success like you handle failure

I have a problem with what Holly has done so far in her Head Coaching career. It would seem that some of these points used by Pat would be helpful to Holly.

Reactions: 3 people
One of the greatest coaches and Holly's mentor had this as her philosophy...The great coach Pat Summitt had a philosophy that was a simple list of 12 points known as “The Definite Dozen”. These points showcased her expectations of her team.

Take full responsibility ( No )
Learn to be a great communicator (No)
Discipline yourself so no one else has to (No)
Don’t just work hard- work smart (No)
Put the team before yourself (No)
Make winning an attitude (No)
Be a competitor
Change is a must (No)

I have a problem with what Holly has done so far in her Head Coaching career. It would seem that some of these points used by Pat would be helpful to Holly

I marked the ones I think she probably did as a player for Pat but does not do as the Head Coach! Just my 2 cents worth

Reactions: 1 person
Not as dynamic as the 7 maxims, but it'll do till something better comes along I guess.

Holly scores about a 42 out of 100 on that test and that is part of the reason for last season.

Take full responsibility ( No )
Learn to be a great communicator (No)
Discipline yourself so no one else has to (No)
Don’t just work hard- work smart (No)
Put the team before yourself (No)
Make winning an attitude (No)
Be a competitor
Change is a must (No)

I have a problem with what Holly has done so far in her Head Coaching career. It would seem that some of these points used by Pat would be helpful to Holly

I marked the ones I think she probably did as a player for Pat but does not do as the Head Coach! Just my 2 cents worth
Good Points, I think I would also add the last one to Holly list of no's.

Never get to the Final Four or elevate the program to serious contender, but consistently get to the Elite Eight which is just good enough to keep (some) fans happy and keep her job....

There are a lot of new programs on the upswing. She's proven already that she is not the one capable of bringing your program back. A blind person can see it. Maybe this new asst can turn the trick. But there are 15 great coaches of "lesser programs" that would grab that job in a second that would improve your team immensely. I'm not here to slam anyone. We are all dreading the eventual chg in Ct. I just hope the "powers that be" make a damn decision!

Take full responsibility
Make winning an attitude
Be a competitor
Change is a must

I have a problem with what Holly has done so far in her Head Coaching career. It would seem that some of these points used by Pat would be helpful to Holly.

geno hi-jacked the Definite Dozen. :idea:

Take full responsibility
Make winning an attitude
Be a competitor
Change is a must

In reality, does Holly really have one? :crazy:

I think her philosophies are:

Get the ball inside....
No quick shots....
Get the ball inside....
No quick shots....
Get the ball inside....
No quick shots.....
Get the ball inside....
No quick shots....
Get the ball inside....
No quick shots....
Never wear a dress....
Get the ball inside....

Warlick likes to spit sunflower seeds at the calves of opposing players when they are about to shoot a three on the offensive side of the court nearest our bench. She'll do it when she's standing close to the court, with her hands on her hips. I use to think the hands-on hips-posture was kind of dumb--but it actually serves as a visual distraction so people don't see her mouth sending sunflower-seed darts at opponents' legs. That's the subtle, practical change I've seen in her philosophy recently.

Reactions: 2 people
Warlick likes to spit sunflower seeds at the calves of opposing players when they are about to shoot a three on the offensive side of the court nearest our bench. She'll do it when she's standing close to the court, with her hands on her hips. I use to think the hands-on hips-posture was kind of dumb--but it actually serves as a visual distraction so people don't see her mouth sending sunflower-seed darts at opponents' legs. That's the subtle, practical change I've seen in her philosophy recently.

Not true and useless.

Don't forget one of the most important maxims:

Whistle While Your Work.

:whistling:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back