4. Jaime Nared, will be the girl we all want her to be
5. Mercedes Russell, stronger and faster

Reactions: 1 person
1.pg. Jordan Reynolds
2.sg. Tea Cooper
3.fw. Diamond Deshields
4.hp. Jamie Nared or Schquilla Nunn
5.lp. Mercedes Russell

I like giving Mercedes more room in the paint. If nared can be more consistent with her 3pt shot it will be even better. I think most of our shooting woes are a result of low confidence which is a culture problem.

1. Jordan Reynolds, solid
2. Te'a Cooper, much improved
3. Diamond DeShields, healthy
4. Jaime Nared, will be the girl we all want her to be
5. Mercedes Russell, stronger and faster

I think Cooper will be the PG. I am nor sure who will be the Sg but they have a number of players who should be able to shoot better than Reynolds and play defense as well as she does.

I think it will be Cooper or Reynolds at the point doubt we'll see them on the floor together. Hopefully Nunn will be good enough to take Graves place in the lineup. If Nared is the same shooter she was last season I hope we have somebody that can beat her out we must have better shooting.

Deshields can play small guard, but why would you use her out of position. She's a small forward. It'll be Reynolds at the one and Cooper at the two next yr. Reynolds does a better job of managing the game with limited turnovers and have Cooper at the two because she's the best slashing guard. I predict Reynolds will have a great senior season.

Who among those five is going to make outside shots? Who's going to make threes--an achilles heel for us this year? I like Reynolds, but both she and Cooper have push shots as opposed to real jump shots. Not good. And teams will play zone against us again. Cooper struggled mightily against zone defenses, a fact that the super-astute Warlick seems to have missed last year.

PG: Cooper - Love her speed and athleticism. She showed great promise as a freshman and led us in points in some games. In those games she shot a good percentage. The one thing I hope she improves on is her decision making and field goal percentage. We have a future "potential" All-American in Cooper!

SG (2): DeShields - DD is new and improved next season. She's realized how much of an up and down year she had. Her and Cooper would make a speedy and ultra athletic backcourt duo. They don't need to settle for the 3 next year and work more on raising their mid range and dribble drive game. If they buy into the "team" concept of basketball, this could easily be one of the best back courts in the nation...regardless of Cooper's youth.

SF (3): Nared - She has good speed for such a tall guard. Having her at the wing position, allows her to play to her stengths of slashing and driving the ball. If she develops a consistent 3 point shot, Nared could easily average double digits in scoring next year.

PF (4): Dunbar - You can tell that Kourtney wants to be great during her time at UT. I'm hoping this year she was able to see what she needed to work on the be successful. I'm glad Holly gave her a chance to prepare for her new role this year despite some injuries that slowed her down throughout the season. The number 1 reason I put Dunbar at this spot was simple....offense! Dunbar being on the floor could allow all the space in the world for Mercedes and Nunn to work when going one on one in the post. I'm expecting her defense and rebounding to be solid next year....those were the main concerns with her on the floor.

C (5): Russell - I'm hoping Russell carries her confidence from the NCAA tourney into next season. it's a MUST that she's aggressive and actively pursing rebounds next year. Alot of times throughout the year she was caught being a "bystander" while Graves got dirty in the paint. She has to show us the reason she was the #1 recruit in the land during high school!

I don't disagree with your assessment of our players' strengths, LadyVol--but you may be forgetting that teams will zone us, taking away Cooper's game. It is hard to dribble penetrate against a zone. You HAVE to make outside shots and threes nowadays--and unless we're a lot better at I can see us struggling again. DD should be considerably better--has to be; Russell should be better; Nared HAS to be better--we need her to become a scorer and good all-around player next year. She's very long and athletic but needs to find a consistent offensive game. And our guards have to be much better--but then I say that every year.

I don't disagree with your assessment of our players' strengths, LadyVol--but you may be forgetting that teams will zone us, taking away Cooper's game. It is hard to dribble penetrate against a zone. You HAVE to make outside shots and threes nowadays--and unless we're a lot better at I can see us struggling again. DD should be considerably better--has to be; Russell should be better; Nared HAS to be better--we need her to become a scorer and good all-around player next year. She's very long and athletic but needs to find a consistent offensive game. And our guards have to be much better--but then I say that every year.

Who was out last good guard, in your opinion? and why?

Who was out last good guard, in your opinion? and why?

Ariel Massengale. Good floor leader, consistent outside shooter, excellent passer. She wasn't at the level of a Moriah Jefferson, but she was a darn good player.

Meighan Simmons before her. Intense competitor, not afraid to put the team on her shoulder, and won a lot of games for Tennessee.

They may not have been 1st team AA level, but they were leagues better than the guards on the team now.

VN Store

Back