Diana Taurasi: Olympic "Role" Model Video

It was great to see Candace Parker in the video with her daughter...and on the WINNING team! Go play for Russia, Candace! I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms!!!

you cant play for Russia unless you are from Russia...if she was from Russia but played basketball at Tennessee and or in the professional ranks she could but she is an American.

you cant play for Russia unless you are from Russia...if she was from Russia but played basketball at Tennessee and or in the professional ranks she could but she is an American.

Actually, during the last Olympics, another US player who got snubbed by "the committee" played on the Russian Olympic team, but she had to become a Russian citizen first in order to do so. That's pretty drastic, but she knew she was talented enough to play Olympic basketball, and she was right. Unfortunely for her, Geno wanted Sue on his team.

Where are you getting that information from? Only reason why she can't play for any country this year is because she had already played tournament with American team this year. Other than that, yes she can play for any country but have to sit out a yr. I know so because I was recruited from Overseas & I played college ball. Hakim Olajuwon was 100% Nigerian rite but played for American.

Australian is dying to have Candace but unfortunately,she can't play for them this yr if she wanted to go.

Australian is dying to have Candace but unfortunately,she can't play for them this yr if she wanted to go.

FIBA regulations

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of- PLAYERS.pdf

Article 3-23:
A player who has played in a main official competition of FIBA (see article 2-1) after having reached his seventeenth (17) birthday may not play for a national team of another country.
However, in exceptional circumstances the Secretary General may authorise such a player to play for the national team of his country of origin if he is ineligible to play for such country according to this article 3-23 and if this is in the interest of the development of basketball in this country. An administrative fee as stipulated in article 3-305 and decided by the Secretary General is payable to FIBA.

Article 2-1:
The main official competitions of FIBA are:
a. the Olympic Tournaments
b. the World Olympic Qualifying Tournaments for Men and Women c. the FIBA Basketball World Cup
d. the FIBA World Championship for Women
e. the FIBA U-19 World Championship for Men
f. the FIBA U-19 World Championship for Women
g. the FIBA U-17 World Championship for Men
h. the FIBA U-17 World Championship for Women
i. the FIBA 3x3 World Championship for Men
j. the FIBA 3x3 World Championship for Women
k. the FIBA 3x3 U-18 World Championship for Men
l. the FIBA 3x3 U-18 World Championship for Women
m. the FIBA 3x3 World Tour (Masters and Final)
n. All Zone Championships
o. All qualifying games and tournaments for the above competitions.

There's no such thing as playing for another national team if you "sit out a year." The exceptional circumstance in 3-23 does not apply to Candace since the USA is her country of origin. She can never play for any other national team.

VN Store

Back