Diamond is the projected #1 pick in next years draft

Thought she was going to be one of many transferring from UT...:question:

GO LADY VOLS!

Wouldn't have made sense for her to transfer as she would have to sit out another season. I was on record as saying she would probably leave and head overseas for a season and that isn't still out of the possibility as the summer isn't over neither has training began for next season

I would not be surprised to see Mercedes in the top 5 in the draft next year as well.

If she plays like a #1 recruit I could see her going Top 3 alongside Kaela Davis and Diamond (who could also leave early)which makes it so important for us to really get a strong 2017 class because we will already lose Jordan and Andraya and you add to that the chance both Diamond and Russell could choose the draft (and who knows with our luck of late someones career could end like Jones) but the 4 mention leave we would be looking at Te'a, Nared, Jackson, Middleton, Harris, & Dunbar........smdh

Wouldn't have made sense for her to transfer as she would have to sit out another season. I was on record as saying she would probably leave and head overseas for a season and that isn't still out of the possibility as the summer isn't over neither has training began for next season

What would all of the Negative Nelly's on this site have to complain about her (DD) being a HEAD case and needing to be benched ! I cannot imagine where we would be without her!!!! It would just show all what kind of a team we really have...... Even with a great 2017 recruits.. can you imagine with what is left and the Freshmen?? (Tea, MeMe, Alexa, Kortney, Jamie ) WITH ANY FRESHMEN???:loco:

Reactions: 1 person
I expect her to leave after next season no reason not to if your the number one pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Well, as long as she has her degree.

I personally don't see her as a number one or even maybe as high as 10. I don't see Mercedes in the top 10 at all. And Kaela Davis, although she was very good in high school, did not do much at GT before transferring, did she?

But, luckily, what do I know?

Yes. She will be 22 by then also.

I am not saying DD and Mercedes will not leave after next year, but, the WNBA really pays crap, Europe pays way more, and DD could already be there, so I seriously doubt, unless both really ball it out this season, either would, but I would bet Mercedes would not.

Two things: I believe the WNBA rules state a player that is drafted must reach age 22 in the calendar year she is drafted. Also, the overseas money is better than the WNBA. However, Diana T. money is hard to achieve.

Well, as long as she has her degree.

I personally don't see her as a number one or even maybe as high as 10. I don't see Mercedes in the top 10 at all. And Kaela Davis, although she was very good in high school, did not do much at GT before transferring, did she?

But, luckily, what do I know?

In 2 seasons Kaela Davis has almost 1300 points compared to 1100 by Diamond and almost 600 by Russell. Diamond if she plays like she did her freshman year and Davis also plays like she did at Georgia Tech (she is a scoring machine) will no doubt go 1 and 2 next season if either or both decide to come out. Their only competition is on their own team (Russell at Tennessee and Coates and Alisha Gray at SC)

With more offensive weapons at SC it would make it harder for Davis and Coates to go first overall but Diamond will be relied upon heavily to produce points at UT which will make her chances as the top pick high.

Only other competition outside of them (remember Russell, Davis and Diamond were the top 3 recruits in their class so you would almost project them to go number one) are;

1. Nina Davis (but she is a 5'11" PF, I don't see anyone drafting her that high)

2. Erica McCall (she is 6'3" and the little sister of a WNBA star in DeWanna Bonner of the Phoenix Mercury she also is the next great PF from Stanford and based on the success of Oguwinke sisters in the WNBA she would certainly be considered

The last thing to factor in is the team who could be picking high in the draft next year, those teams will probably be;

1.) San Antonio-they have a young team and with Danielle Robinson and Jefferson at the 1 and McBride at the SG position, they need a 3 player and the best 3 in the draft would be Diamond (if she enters and Davis)

2.) Seattle has added pieces but I still think they end up at the top of the draft, you have loyd who will play the 2 and Stewart who they have as a their 5 and they have the girl from Japan who was second in rookie of the year votes last year at the 4 they need a point guard to replace bird or someone who can score on the wing so Diamond makes sense there because the only PG's in the draft are Lexie Brown (should she leave Duke) Lindsay Allen of Notre Dame and Tyler Scaife of Rutgers which neither would be worthy of taking number 1 overall.

3.) Washington, their weakness has been on the wing as well so Diamond would be in play there as well

Most of the teams in the league are stacked at the 4/5 spot which this years draft will be have more than enough of but the 2 weakest teams (Seattle and San Antonio) and a team who is probably going to take a step back (Washington) imo all need a scorer at the 3 spot which bodes well for Davis and Diamond

Kudos to Diamond if that were to happen. Although I'm a little stumped why a player who wasn't on a single All-American team in 2015/2016 (or on the SEC all-conference team in 2015/2016, or even the SEC second team) would suddenly jump to the top of a national list. Is it based on expected (but as yet unrealized) potential? Is it because her game is more suited to the WNBA than to WCBB? Is it because people feel that WNBA coaches will help her develop better than she has with Holly? I'm having a hard time following the rationale for this prediction.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back