Lady vols softball insiders

Thanks sandvol looking for more info about lady vols potential recruit or offers have a niece that's a really good player don't want to get into it publicly. Need info on a pm basis

I believe top programs spot most of the prospects whom they want to pursue at showcase events or tourneys featuring good club teams. It is amazing how many young players--8th and 9th graders--are already committed. It's crazy but once it started there was no getting the horse back in the barn as everybody wants to nap the best prospects before the other guy, as that has pushed up the early commitments.

Does anyone here have knowledge able info on lady vols softball particularly recruiting?

How old is your niece? Nowadays 13 or 14 year olds get a scholarship offer, but that's usually reserved for top-rated prospects. Your niece's school or travel ball coach should initiate the contact since college coaches are prohibited by NCAA rules from making a contact with a recruit before the start of junior year. Send a video or schedule to the Weeklys so that Ralph/Karen can attend your niece's game(s) in person to check her out. Or your niece can come and attend Weekly's summer camp on campus to showcase/demonstrate her skills. Your niece doesn't have to be a top-ranked recruit to be on UT team. As long as she's a decent enough player with good character and school spirit, she has a shot at making the team (Just look at Savannah Huffstetler, Haley Bearden, Logyn Lilly) albeit minus the scholarship money. Good luck.

Is it common to offer a player and put off or prolong the players actual commitment? Didn't want to go there but that's really where I was at. Thanks for your help

Some of the players, the really good ones, are starting to wait longer. Barnhill didn't commit to Florida until her senior year I believe.

Is it common to offer a player and put off or prolong the players actual commitment? Didn't want to go there but that's really where I was at. Thanks for your help
Sounds like the Weeklys might have found someone who they think is better or otherwise they would've sought for a decision/commitment earlier rather than later. It all comes down to how much scholarship money is available. Tennessee's verbal commitments are pretty full all the way down to class of 2018. It's ridiculous that a softball team w/ 20-player roster is only allowed to have 12 full scholarships whereas a basketball team can have 15! SMH. I'm sure you guys have a backup plan and as good a player as she is your niece can move on and find a good D1 school to play for in case TN doesn't work out.

Reactions: 1 person
There are too many scholarships for basketball--15 is absurd--and too few for soccer and softball. This should be altered by the NCAA, IMO.

I think managing offers, commitments, scholarship money can be tricky. If coaches make a scholarship offer to a player, then they have to be prepared for the player to accept the offer, and I'm sure they are. There is a difference, of course, between making a scholarship offer and expressing interest in a prospect. Some coaches will tell a prospect they are interested but want to keep watching them play and they might want to make an offer down the road--but can't do so quite yet. That is honest; it simply means the coaches aren't sold on the prospect quite yet and are pursuing other prospects whom they think might be better. You can't assume that you will get a scholarship offer in the future; it might come, it might not, which is why players and their families are wise to keep their options open, too. Coaches must also decide how much to offer individual prospects--a full ride, a half a ride, what? Tricky. A player might like a certain school, but that school offers only half a scholly. Coaches might say, I can definitely offer you half a scholarship--and might be able to raise it in a year or so when we see how things play out. This is my guess--I have no first-hand knowledge. The prospect might be seeking a full scholarship, think she can get it, and so without a full offer from one school will look elsewhere. Fair enough.

I think, too, that some if not most coaches are always recruiting. If a coach has allocated all his/her spots and money for, say, 2018 by now--and then a coveted blue-chip prospect who's been undecided tells the coach she wants to come to his/her school, what does the coach do? In some, if not many cases coaches may leave a spot or two and money available for such a circumstance. If not, they may go back to a previous commitment and tell her that it turns out they don't have a spot, or the scholarship money they'd thought they had for her, after all--in effect, telling her to look elsewhere so that they can grab the better prospect who decided late. That is the dark side of recruiting, I think. I know this happens in football--often late in the process. I think it happens in all sports, but don't know that for a fact, and of course it is bad form to accept a commitment and then renege. I don't think it happens often, however. Given how early kids commit nowadays, a prospect probably has to time to contact other schools and get other offers if it does happen--assuming the other schools have money available. The only thing that binds a coach to an offer is his/her ethical standards--and most coaches have high ethical standards. And of course prospects can change their minds too. Verbal commitments are not binding until the letter is signed. Most coaches and players honor their commitments, but this is a highly competitive business and sometimes things happen.

Softball is not considered a "Head Count" sport. D1 Football, Basketball, Tennis, Volleyball and Gymnastics are considered Head Count sports, meaning each sport is limited to a scholarship for each player, thus the term "head count". Any other sport is considered as a sport with equivilancy scholarships that can be divided among the players. Head counts sports cannot divide up the scholarships. DIII schools don't offer scholarships but do offer such things as "academic credit" scholarships which help. Depending on how much an athlete and their family can afford, it is sometimes more advantageous to attend a JUCO, DII or NAIA school.

There are too many scholarships for basketball--15 is absurd--and too few for soccer and softball. This should be altered by the NCAA, IMO.

I think managing offers, commitments, scholarship money can be tricky. If coaches make a scholarship offer to a player, then they have to be prepared for the player to accept the offer, and I'm sure they are. There is a difference, of course, between making a scholarship offer and expressing interest in a prospect. Some coaches will tell a prospect they are interested but want to keep watching them play and they might want to make an offer down the road--but can't do so quite yet. That is honest; it simply means the coaches aren't sold on the prospect quite yet and are pursuing other prospects whom they think might be better. You can't assume that you will get a scholarship offer in the future; it might come, it might not, which is why players and their families are wise to keep their options open, too. Coaches must also decide how much to offer individual prospects--a full ride, a half a ride, what? Tricky. A player might like a certain school, but that school offers only half a scholly. Coaches might say, I can definitely offer you half a scholarship--and might be able to raise it in a year or so when we see how things play out. This is my guess--I have no first-hand knowledge. The prospect might be seeking a full scholarship, think she can get it, and so without a full offer from one school will look elsewhere. Fair enough.

I think, too, that some if not most coaches are always recruiting. If a coach has allocated all his/her spots and money for, say, 2018 by now--and then a coveted blue-chip prospect who's been undecided tells the coach she wants to come to his/her school, what does the coach do? In some, if not many cases coaches may leave a spot or two and money available for such a circumstance. If not, they may go back to a previous commitment and tell her that it turns out they don't have a spot, or the scholarship money they'd thought they had for her, after all--in effect, telling her to look elsewhere so that they can grab the better prospect who decided late. That is the dark side of recruiting, I think. I know this happens in football--often late in the process. I think it happens in all sports, but don't know that for a fact, and of course it is bad form to accept a commitment and then renege. I don't think it happens often, however. Given how early kids commit nowadays, a prospect probably has to time to contact other schools and get other offers if it does happen--assuming the other schools have money available. The only thing that binds a coach to an offer is his/her ethical standards--and most coaches have high ethical standards. And of course prospects can change their minds too. Verbal commitments are not binding until the letter is signed. Most coaches and players honor their commitments, but this is a highly competitive business and sometimes things happen.

I concur with you there. Think we discussed it before. Reduce basketball to 12 or 11. Raise softball.

Sounds like the Weeklys might have found someone who they think is better or otherwise they would've sought for a decision/commitment earlier rather than later. It all comes down to how much scholarship money is available. Tennessee's verbal commitments are pretty full all the way down to class of 2018. It's ridiculous that a softball team w/ 20-player roster is only allowed to have 12 full scholarships whereas a basketball team can have 15! SMH. I'm sure you guys have a backup plan and as good a player as she is your niece can move on and find a good D1 school to play for in case TN doesn't work out.

If the Weekley's see her and like her it won't matter. If they want her they'll offer her.

Actually my niece was offered.but apparently the "official" offer was pushed back because a senior may receive a 5th year. Initial offer 60% scholly.

I'm not sure why a 5th year for a senior would impact her as a 2019 player,but I really don't much about it

hmmm could it be Erin for the 5th year? they are waiting to hear if she can claim a red shirt year and be a 5th year senior

and best of luck to your niece,I do hope she gets the opportunity to become a Lady Vol ,how bad does she want to play for UT ?

and DeerPark may have some information that might help,but I'm not sure about that

Actually my niece was offered.but apparently the "official" offer was pushed back because a senior may receive a 5th year. Initial offer 60% scholly.

She's got to be pretty damn good to get an offer from Tennessee. Also, 60% is pretty substantial.

I'm not sure why a 5th year for a senior would impact her as a 2019 player,but I really don't much about it

hmmm could it be Erin for the 5th year? they are waiting to hear if she can claim a red shirt year and be a 5th year senior

and best of luck to your niece,I do hope she gets the opportunity to become a Lady Vol ,how bad does she want to play for UT ?

and DeerPark may have some information that might help,but I'm not sure about that

Winner!this is or was supposedly the drama. Was offered called to accept was told this changed things but would still be offered had to wait a while longer

She's got to be pretty damn good to get an offer from Tennessee. Also, 60% is pretty substantial.

Not gonna be the crazy relative that thinks she's the best player ever.my brother has always been optimistic but reserved about how good she is.Hard to believe she is UT good,but she is a player for sure

Catcher / shortstop.That could be an issue think they have a really good catcher committed.

Last edited:
Catcher / shortstop.That could be an issue think they have a really good catcher committed.

Congratulations to your niece and your family; getting an offer from UT, one of the premier softball programs in the entire country is quite an accomplishment & statement. You guys should be very proud of her. I can only imagine how hard she's worked her entire life to get to this point, but it's only the beginning. :) But it'll be all worth it once she gets to UT. We fans will treat her right and make her feel right at home.

Well, the catcher you alluded to, Ally Shipman ('18) is not just good, she's quite possibly the best (defensive) catcher in her class. One of top two for sure. She handles her pitchers really well, calls pitches on her own, has a strong throwing arm just like her big sister Maddi and has a great presence behind the plate. On top of that, she's one helluva (power) hitter. It will be near impossible to take the catcher position from her. Ally Shipman will be our starting catcher the moment she steps on UT campus. Also, Ashley Morgan ('17) from Atlanta can also catch too, and she's a very good player. She may compete with Abby Lockman but both will slide into one of the infield positions once Ally gets here. Lastly, Madison Pacini ('18) from California can catch as well and she's also one heck of player. She will play in the outfield (upon the arrival of Ally Shipman). Needless to say Catcher position is crowded with very talented players who are all capable of doing an admirable job with Ally Shipman leading the way. But I'm sure that the Weeklys will find a place for your niece to play. Weeklys have proven themselves to be very creative thinkers out there and they can tweak the lineup like no one else. :)

Good luck and we look forward to seeing your niece play for the Big Orange.

VN Store

Back