Suggestions For Our Slumping SB Players: How To Get Out of A Funk, Flip Your Karma &

2Alum4EverVol

Make the Universe Bend In Your Favor.

We all know you (Abby Lockman, CJ McClain, Scarlet McSwain, Shaliyah Geathers to name) are trying your hardest, but sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone a little and implement the extraordinary measures to get your mojo back. Here are some of my time-tested suggestions which have worked out well for other great ballers:

1. Keep a voodoo doll in your locker. It worked for the power-hitting Jobu character in the movie Major League Baseball. A jobu bobblehead can be purchased online for as little as $10-14.

2. Eat a chicken before every game. There are at least two chicken places nearby or right on campus (Zaxby's and Chick-Fil-A). It worked for the Hall of Fame third baseman Wade Boggs. He also took exactly 150 ground balls during practice. Remember CHICKEN not beef nor pork/turkey.

3. When you're resting your bat, make sure you rest your bat against your leg, spit on your right hand with a good amount of saliva, and clap when preparing for the batter box. That's what the Big Papi of Boston Red Sox does. The ritual has served well for Ortiz in his long successful MLB career.

4. When you are in the pitcher's circle (this is for Bria), wave from the mound to the center fielder (CJ McClain), who would then wave back. Brush your teeth (Bria) and eat four sticks of licorice between innings when you are pitching. Crouch down every time the catcher (Lexi) stand up and stand up when the catcher would crouch. This was Turk Wendell's ritual who was voted the most superstitious athlete of all time by Men's Fitness Magazine. The ritual served Wendell well as he became of the best relief pitchers in his long MLB career.

5. (This is also for Bria) Eat a pound of spaghetti before any game you start. This was the knuckleballer Tim Wakefield's ritual. Wakefield's record in MLB? 200-180. Not bad for a knuckleballer.

6. Wear the same cup from your high school playing days until it gets stolen. This was a ritual for Mark McGuire, one of the original bash brothers. (Too bad that his career got tainted by steroid controversy)

7. Throw away the undershirt you wore during the game if you pitched/played poorly. This was a ritual for Brendan Donnelly who won a couple of World Series in his MLB career.

8. Go check your body/diet by a physician/dietician. Do you need to be on the gluten-free diet by any chance? The discovery turned around the current #1 player in the world and 11-time slam winder Novak Djokovic's career. He's become the most dominant tennis player in the past couple yrs after implementing the new diet regime.

Hope you guys get on a roll soon, and help Tennessee advance to its 8th WCWS come May. Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person

We all know you (Abby Lockman, CJ McClain, Scarlet McSwain, Shaliyah Geathers to name) are trying your hardest, but sometimes you need to get out of your comfort zone a little and implement the extraordinary measures to get your mojo back. Here are some of my time-tested suggestions which have worked out well for other great ballers:

1. Keep a voodoo doll in your locker. It worked for the power-hitting Jobu character in the movie Major League Baseball. A jobu bobblehead can be purchased online for as little as $10-14.

2. Eat a chicken before every game. There are at least two chicken places nearby or right on campus (Zaxby's and Chick-Fil-A). It worked for the Hall of Fame third baseman Wade Boggs. He also took exactly 150 ground balls during practice. Remember CHICKEN not beef nor pork/turkey.

3. When you're resting your bat, make sure you rest your bat against your leg, spit on your right hand with a good amount of saliva, and clap when preparing for the batter box. That's what the Big Papi of Boston Red Sox does. The ritual has served well for Ortiz in his long successful MLB career.

4. When you are in the pitcher's circle (this is for Bria), wave from the mound to the center fielder (CJ McClain), who would then wave back. Brush your teeth (Bria) and eat four sticks of licorice between innings when you are pitching. Crouch down every time the catcher (Lexi) stand up and stand up when the catcher would crouch. This was Turk Wendell's ritual who was voted the most superstitious athlete of all time by Men's Fitness Magazine. The ritual served Wendell well as he became of the best relief pitchers in his long MLB career.

5. (This is also for Bria) Eat a pound of spaghetti before any game you start. This was the knuckleballer Tim Wakefield's ritual. Wakefield's record in MLB? 200-180. Not bad for a knuckleballer.

6. Wear the same cup from your high school playing days until it gets stolen. This was a ritual for Mark McGuire, one of the original bash brothers. (Too bad that his career got tainted by steroid controversy)

7. Throw away the undershirt you wore during the game if you pitched/played poorly. This was a ritual for Brendan Donnelly who won a couple of World Series in his MLB career.

8. Go check your body/diet by a physician/dietician. Do you need to be on the gluten-free diet by any chance? The discovery turned around the current #1 player in the world and 11-time slam winder Novak Djokovic's career. He's become the most dominant tennis player in the past couple yrs after implementing the new diet regime.

Hope you guys get on a roll soon, and help Tennessee advance to its 8th WCWS come May. Go Vols!

9. Have Dave Hart tell the softball team he screwed up. They deserve to be called Lady Vols again. Restore the logo to them.

Reactions: 2 people

Play Furman in a mid week game.

Reactions: 1 person

I think they're doing OK. One of the most prolific offensive teams in the SEC. Just swept TAMU and took 2 of 3 at Georgia.

I'm sorry I know this doesn't pertain to SB but I just had to let you know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your quote......"Flip your karma & make the universe bend in your favor."

9. Have Dave Hart tell the softball team he screwed up. They deserve to be called Lady Vols again. Restore the logo to them.

Well, I'm actually glad that our softball team is no longer called "Lady Vols". IMO, Dave Hart was wise and did a favor for our SB program. What does "Lady Vols" stand for these Days? Mediocrity. Underachievement. Bad recruiting. Bad coaching. Declining fan base. Perceived culture which most people should be ashamed of. I'm glad our high-achieiving, wholesome, good character, well-coached, well-recruited, well-supported SB program is just known as "Volunteers" just like our FB program which is also trending up. :) Go Vols!

When the crap did they start slumping? I must have missed a game or two. They have no chance for Oklahoma now?

When the crap did they start slumping? I must have missed a game or two. They have no chance for Oklahoma now?

I know my post was a bit long-winded but did you read the whole thread or just the title? Or is English not your first language? :) This thread is created for 5 specific players who are currently in extended slump, not for the entire team. The team as a whole is obviously doing very well as of late.

I know my post was a bit long-winded but did you read the whole thread or just the title? Or is English not your first language? :) This thread is created for 5 specific players who are currently in extended slump, not for the entire team. The team as a whole is obviously doing very well as of late.

El inglés no es mi lengua principal, lo siento.

Number 13 in the nation...one game slump...team game...don't care what Diamond Dave says, I'll be calling them Lady Vols as long as I breathe...:rock:

GO LADY VOLS!

Number 13 in the nation...one game slump...team game...don't care what Diamond Dave says, I'll be calling them Lady Vols as long as I breathe...:rock:

GO LADY VOLS!

Well, the players can now have a Lady Vols patch back on their uniforms starting next year. That's a step in the right direction IMO. :yes: But a patch is a patch, they just need to go ahead and reinstate the whole brand identity and name soon. I was one of many supporters who signed a petition ("Bring Back the Lady Vols") started by former volleyball player Leslie Cikra.

Well, the players can now have a Lady Vols patch back on their uniforms starting next year. That's a step in the right direction IMO. :yes: But a patch is a patch, they just need to go ahead and reinstate the whole brand identity and name soon. I was one of many supporters who signed a petition ("Bring Back the Lady Vols") started by former volleyball player Leslie Cikra.

Are you like yin and yang?

Are you like yin and yang?

Nah, I just don't like Holly. :) I've always supported the Lady Vols whether in SB, BB, Tennis or VB. IMO, Holly is a disgrace to everything the name Lady Vols has stood for in its 4 decades-long existence. Its legacy is being destroyed by one single person. Pathetic. And the UT administration isn't about to do anything about it. So I washed my hands as far as our WBB, the team currently masquerading as the Lady Vols, goes. But, I love my Lady Vols. Always have. Been in same classes at UT with some of them. Go Lady Vols! :rock:

Well, I'm actually glad that our softball team is no longer called "Lady Vols". IMO, Dave Hart was wise and did a favor for our SB program. What does "Lady Vols" stand for these Days? Mediocrity. Underachievement. Bad recruiting. Bad coaching. Declining fan base. Perceived culture which most people should be ashamed of. I'm glad our high-achieiving, wholesome, good character, well-coached, well-recruited, well-supported SB program is just known as "Volunteers" just like our FB program which is also trending up. :) Go Vols!

Well, let's just say after reading your entire post several times, with exception to your platitudes to the softball team, I agree to disagree with the remainder of your rant.

Nah, I just don't like Holly. :) I've always supported the Lady Vols whether in SB, BB, Tennis or VB. IMO, Holly is a disgrace to everything the name Lady Vols has stood for in its 4 decades-long existence. Its legacy is being destroyed by one single person. Pathetic. And the UT administration isn't about to do anything about it. So I washed my hands as far as our WBB, the team currently masquerading as the Lady Vols, goes. But, I love my Lady Vols. Always have. Been in same classes at UT with some of them. Go Lady Vols! :rock:

Obviously, you never saw Holly play, or saw how well she motivated past players under the guidance of Pat Summitt. Do I agree than Holly's time to step down is probably overdue? Next season will tell that tale.

But if you wish to see pathetic? Check your nearest mirror. Kinda wonder how those you went to class with would react; would they just look cockeyed and confused to who you are, or hide their faces while they swiftly make an exit?

Obviously, you never saw Holly play, or saw how well she motivated past players under the guidance of Pat Summitt. Do I agree than Holly's time to step down is probably overdue? Next season will tell that tale.

But if you wish to see pathetic? Check your nearest mirror. Kinda wonder how those you went to class with would react; would they just look cockeyed and confused to who you are, or hide their faces while they swiftly make an exit?

I'd never had a problem with Holly being our assistant coach. I think she did a good job. But I've had a problem with Holly being our head coach. That's just me I guess. We can agree to disagree but I still think the UT administration made a big mistake naming her as our head coach. You can keep supporting her and WBB program. I don't have a problem with that. But as far as I'm concerned, I haven't and won't as long as she's the head coach. I don't know how my ex-classmates would react. I have my own opinion and they do theirs. But I'm sure they will be glad to see me. :)

Shaliyah Geathers and Scarlet McSwain: you guys are no longer in a slump. What a way to bust out of it, esp. Shaliyah! That was a BOMB!!! Keep pushing forward and help the team advance to another WCWS! :)

I'd never had a problem with Holly being our assistant coach. I think she did a good job. But I've had a problem with Holly being our head coach. That's just me I guess. We can agree to disagree but I still think the UT administration made a big mistake naming her as our head coach. You can keep supporting her and WBB program. I don't have a problem with that. But as far as I'm concerned, I haven't and won't as long as she's the head coach. I don't know how my ex-classmates would react. I have my own opinion and they do theirs. But I'm sure they will be glad to see me. :)

Wow, so this is soft-ball speak... I would not have expected this out of you 2for. A true fan stays with their program, suffers their setbacks and basks in their victories. . . When a program goes through what they went through his past winter, they need the fan support more than ever. Yes, if critical is needed, give them a dose of it. . . . Be a true fan, 2for. . . Rain on em, call em out and cry in your beer, but don't leave them when they need you most.

I can agree with that. Except that...

(Don't slam me b/c the following examples/comparisons are a little exaggerated in order to get my points across...)

Would you have sent in $20 donations to Iraqi Peace Corps led by Saddam Hussein's step-brother?

Would you have volunteered to help a (hard-working poor) Illegal Immigrants Advocacy group led by Donald Trump?

Would your father, uncle or aunt have organized a Christmas Toys/Gifts & Canned Food Drive to help out German Red Cross headed by Adolf Hitler's mistress?

When Holly Warlick admits, JUST O-N-C-E for Pete's sake, "yeah, I screwed up coaching tonight. I need to do a better job coaching these hard-working incredibly talented players. It's my fault. I'm not getting most out of my players. I need some help," instead of saying, "players this, players that, quick shooting, pound the ball inside, blah blah blah," let me know. When that happens, my respect for Holly as a head coach AND a person will be at another level, and I may seriously consider jumping back on the WBB bandwagon. Think Holly will do that?

VN Store

Back