Looking Ahead: SB Pitching Staff '16-'17

2Alum4EverVol

Recent performance by our pitching staff as a whole has been very encouraging, and it looks as though we're gonna have another solid staff next year.

I for one will miss Erin Gabriel in the circle; her determination and fight through the major (hip) injuries to reinvent herself as an effective pitcher at the highest level have been nothing short of inspiring. The sheer joy--the hop and bounce, fist pumps, high fives, the constant encouragement that she displays on the mound will be greatly missed. And then there is our stoic, nae nae dancing, a jack of all trades (and a master of wicked drop ball!) Rainey Gaffin. When she's on, she's pretty much unhittable, and she is our most reliable closer. I just think she's more comfortable in a closer role, and her (critical) role and presence will be solely missed next year. Our effervescent Gretchen Aucoin's role as a pitcher has been pretty much non-existent this year, but she had her moments here and the there last year. But she won't be missed that much as a pitcher next year. :)

Next year the pitching staff will be comprised of the flame-thrower Matty Moss with 70+ mph fastball as our ace, Bria Bush the control freak with pinpoint accuracy (my fingers crossed), Kelsey Morrison who's tall, athletic and can consistently throw in the upper 60s, and incoming freshman sensation Caylan Arnold, another power pitcher whose fastball is already approaching 70mph! With our world-class strength & conditioning program plus our generous campus meal plan, you can bet that Arnold's fastball will rival Moss' very soon. :)

(if you don't know Caylan Arnold, you can read about her below:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJhe_YtJjMAhUqsIMKHXknApkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailytimes.com%2Fsports%2Fmaryville-softball-pitcher-caylan-arnold-commits-to-tennessee%2Farticle_21278b6a-b60c-11e4-bd2f-d776f585aa1c.html&usg=AFQjCNF-f957-RTkPC4ylD7dDD2ynX60kA&sig2=3TD0WbJpkPyj2k7kLJ53SA&bvm=bv.119745492,d.amc

Next year's pitching staff looks to be a group of hard throwers with one lone exception of Bush; our young pitchers will look to blow it past the hitters at first and then try to mix up the spins and speeds to confuse them, very different looks from this year's staff whose identity has been VARIETY. No matter we should have another solid pitching staff on Rocky Top and great year. I can't wait.

Any thoughts/comments/additional information?

Reactions: 5 people
Bush has pitched good when she has her control. She hasn't had consistent control this season walked a lot of batters. I think she is going to be a very good pitcher for us. Moss could be a super star having a great freshman season have been impressed with her was throwing 71 in that Georgia start the other day.
Pitching is such a huge part of softball hopefully the addition of Arnold and Morrison also ready to pitch will give us a good staff.

Reactions: 3 people
Gabriel was never redshirted, was she? Seems like that's not done in softball, for some reason. She certainly could have been redshirted a year with her injury, especially because I feel she's only gotten into a groove the last year and a half or so.

I'm surprised Bush has not pitched a bit more this year, as we are going to need her next year. I suppose she needs more work/seasoning. Still, she could have pitched the last easy non-conference game we had--and won in 5 innings--but for some odd reason the coaches pitched Gaffin. Didn't understand that decision. We are going to need her next year, for sure, as you can't count on freshmen, even talented ones, to do well in the SEC. As it stands, we will have one experienced pitching going into next year. Not ideal.

Last edited:
Arnold was impressive last year (25-8, 0.59 ERA, 336 Ks in 179 innings, 0.132 opp batting avg) but she's been truly dominant so far this year: 13-0, 0.27 ERA, 188 Ks in 78 innings (2.4 per inning), 0.074 OBA & 0.115 OBP.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Gaffin only uses half the strike zone. She's limited because of this.

Gabriel was dominate the first part of the season, I can't figure out why she started giving up first inning runs or occasionally develops control issues.

Moss and Arnold will both be hard throwers, bringing it at 70mph+ at times. But at the college level, especially SEC and then super regionals and WCWS, speed alone is not going to be enough.

Moss has been effective her past few outings because she has had some great movement on her pitches, changing speeds and limiting the walks.

I do know that Arnold throws hard, but do not know if she has the ability to change speeds and move the ball. She was recruited by FSU and Washington before picking UT, so I would think she is more than just gas.

And then coming in the next class is Gabby Sprang, lefty from Georgia. I've seen her in person several times this spring and very impressed. She committed as a HS freshman, just about every SEC offered her. It is only a verbal so she can change her mind.

Recent performance by our pitching staff as a whole has been very encouraging, and it looks as though we're gonna have another solid staff next year.

I for one will miss Erin Gabriel in the circle; her determination and fight through the major (hip) injuries to reinvent herself as an effective pitcher at the highest level have been nothing short of inspiring. The sheer joy--the hop and bounce, fist pumps, high fives, the constant encouragement that she displays on the mound will be greatly missed. And then there is our stoic, nae nae dancing, a jack of all trades (and a master of wicked drop ball!) Rainey Gaffin. When she's on, she's pretty much unhittable, and she is our most reliable closer. I just think she's more comfortable in a closer role, and her (critical) role and presence will be solely missed next year. Our effervescent Gretchen Aucoin's role as a pitcher has been pretty much non-existent this year, but she had her moments here and the there last year. But she won't be missed that much as a pitcher next year. :)

Next year the pitching staff will be comprised of the flame-thrower Matty Moss with 70+ mph fastball as our ace, Bria Bush the control freak with pinpoint accuracy (my fingers crossed), Kelsey Morrison who's tall, athletic and can consistently throw in the upper 60s, and incoming freshman sensation Caylan Arnold, another power pitcher whose fastball is already approaching 70mph! With our world-class strength & conditioning program plus our generous campus meal plan, you can bet that Arnold's fastball will rival Moss' very soon. :)

(if you don't know Caylan Arnold, you can read about her below:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJhe_YtJjMAhUqsIMKHXknApkQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thedailytimes.com%2Fsports%2Fmaryville-softball-pitcher-caylan-arnold-commits-to-tennessee%2Farticle_21278b6a-b60c-11e4-bd2f-d776f585aa1c.html&usg=AFQjCNF-f957-RTkPC4ylD7dDD2ynX60kA&sig2=3TD0WbJpkPyj2k7kLJ53SA&bvm=bv.119745492,d.amc

Next year's pitching staff looks to be a group of hard throwers with one lone exception of Bush; our young pitchers will look to blow it past the hitters at first and then try to mix up the spins and speeds to confuse them, very different looks from this year's staff whose identity has been VARIETY. No matter we should have another solid pitching staff on Rocky Top and great year. I can't wait.

Any thoughts/comments/additional information?

Softball pitching speed isn't generated from strength and conditioning. Muscle tension actually reduces velocity. It is lack of tension and learning to leverage hip rotation and timing that generates speed. Bria Bush if she continues to develop will be most effective with accuracy and spin as are most of the elite pitchers.

Moss and Arnold will both be hard throwers, bringing it at 70mph+ at times. But at the college level, especially SEC and then super regionals and WCWS, speed alone is not going to be enough.

Moss has been effective her past few outings because she has had some great movement on her pitches, changing speeds and limiting the walks.

I do know that Arnold throws hard, but do not know if she has the ability to change speeds and move the ball. She was recruited by FSU and Washington before picking UT, so I would think she is more than just gas.

And then coming in the next class is Gabby Sprang, lefty from Georgia. I've seen her in person several times this spring and very impressed. She committed as a HS freshman, just about every SEC offered her. It is only a verbal so she can change her mind.

Gabby Sprang ('17) plays travel ball with Georgia Impact but she's actually from Minnesota. Reportedly, an article stated that All SEC programs minus A&M and Patty Gasso who's particular about dominant left-handed pitchers wanted her so bad. Gasso was greatly disappointed in losing out on the Gabby Sprang Sweepstakes to the Weeklys. If Ralph and Karen cannot win a national title or two with Sprang ('17), Moss ('15), Arnold ('16), Caymol ('18) on the mound (who else am I missing?), plus all the extremely talented position players that are coming in highlighted by Maddi Shipman's little sister Ally (''18), then I don't know when the Weeklys will ever win a national title. Maybe it will be their last chance to win a natty. We'll see.

Softball pitching speed isn't generated from strength and conditioning. Muscle tension actually reduces velocity. It is lack of tension and learning to leverage hip rotation and timing that generates speed. Bria Bush if she continues to develop will be most effective with accuracy and spin as are most of the elite pitchers.

Who said anything about muscle tensions?? Your are right about loose limbs creating faster pace. (I've been an athlete all my life so I know something about muscle contraction/relaxation and speed vs strength) However, strength and conditioning drills will help build up the core muscles, i.e., arm, fingers, shoulders, hips, lower legs, so that wrist snaps and delivery motion could be optimal yielding a greater speed. Increased stamina also ensures consistent output in an outing.

BTW, Gabby Sprang and her entire family, as other verbals and their families, bleed orange. Trust me Gabby will stick to her commitment and become a Volunteer.

Reactions: 2 people
Arnold was impressive last year (25-8, 0.59 ERA, 336 Ks in 179 innings, 0.132 opp batting avg) but she's been truly dominant so far this year: 13-0, 0.27 ERA, 188 Ks in 78 innings (2.4 per inning), 0.074 OBA & 0.115 OBP.

Those numbers are truly outrageous! We have a dandy coming to pitch in Knoxville next season.

56b689180af87.jpeg

Gabby Sprang (6'1") with Monica Abbot (6'3"). Sprang will be the first southpaw since Monica to pitch for Tennessee. Hard to believe that.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't know the ranking of this incoming class but I do know Morrison I will suggest right know will be a regular 1st baseman and if the past is any indication of the future will be a every day player/pitcher. Tall hard hitting lefty who just happens to be a LV on an academic scholarship due being in the top two in her large graduating class.

Great news:

Back in December last year, Logan Caymol ('18), 6'1" right-handed pitcher who plays for Buford High school near Atlanta, the very same famed high school which produced Lexi Overstreet and Bira Bush, lost her 11-year old younger brother Andrew in a tragic car accident. Andrew died on the scene. It's reported that the accident was caused by a deer which ran onto a highway near the Caymol's Buford home causing the other driver to swerve and collide into the Teo Caymol's Honda accord head-on. Andrew's older brother Matty, 13, and father Teo, 47, were also in a car; Teo and Matty suffered critical injuries, but Matty's condition was worse.

Teo survived and was released from a hospital not long after but the young boy Matty was left to fight the battle of his young life in Intensive Care Unit. After months of treatment /rehab and battle against near death, the young boy survived and look, Monday night he was able to attend the final game of the series between Tennessee and Georgia with his sister Logan. Yes.

The following picture was tweeted by Karen Weekly saying, "Seeing this guy walk to me and getting the BEST HUG EVER from him....PRICELESS 😍 #Godisgood #caymolstrong #myhero". Indeed. God is good. Wish the best, all the health and happiness in the world, to Matty. You go young man! God bless the Caymols..

CgarGOjW8AAgReV.jpg:small

Reactions: 6 people
That's a great photo--one past Vol star and one future Vol star.

Gabby says she's working very hard to bring a national championship to Tennessee. She just might be the stud player along with Ally Shipman that this program needs to get over the hump.

Gabby says she's working very hard to bring a national championship to Tennessee. She just might be the stud player along with Ally Shipman that this program needs to get over the hump.

It's not like we haven't had stud players before. In the end, when you get to the college championship series, every team is going to have outstanding players. It comes down to your players out-performing those on your opponents--getting the big hit with a runner in scoring position late in a game, getting the last out when you need it, etc. I think ours is coming, and soon.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not like we haven't had stud players before. In the end, when you get to the college championship series, every team is going to have outstanding players. It comes down to your players out-performing those on your opponents--getting the big hit with a runner in scoring position late in a game, getting the last out when you need it, etc. I think ours is coming, and soon.
Agreed. But I think we're talking abut a different degree of studness with Sprang and Shipman. They are still very young, but from what little I know they are the kind of players that can go out and win a championship for you. Great expectations for 15-16 year olds, but they should embrace the challenge and relish the opportunity. :yes:

Last edited:
After OU game, let me just say on the behalf of all Tennessee softball fans: "We can't wait for you to come and play for TN soon enough, Gabby!"

You forgot coaching.

Who said anything about muscle tensions?? Your are right about loose limbs creating faster pace. (I've been an athlete all my life so I know something about muscle contraction/relaxation and speed vs strength) However, strength and conditioning drills will help build up the core muscles, i.e., arm, fingers, shoulders, hips, lower legs, so that wrist snaps and delivery motion could be optimal yielding a greater speed. Increased stamina also ensures consistent output in an outing.

You just did. I've never seen strength and conditioning exercise help a pitcher develop greater speed. I think it possibly could help develop stamina but I believe pitchers have to be careful. I think running a lot helps pitchers but very little weight training. Very light weights are OK.

You just did. I've never seen strength and conditioning exercise help a pitcher develop greater speed. I think it possibly could help develop stamina but I believe pitchers have to be careful. I think running a lot helps pitchers but very little weight training. Very light weights are OK.

We are talking about the same thing, Sandvol. Yes, light weights. Nobody would expect a softball player to train like a football player. They do a lot of running for sure. 6AM workout is quite famous and UT campus presents some nice (hilly) route which can challenge their cardiovascular.

Ralph has said in the past a pitcher can be taught control and placement but not velocity. I think there may be an exception as in Erin's case where she was injured and had to relearn everything.

I don't follow recruiting or AAU but I have seen it written that by the time a pitcher is around 14 or 15 her velocity is pretty much what it will be when she's in college. I am not claiming that is true but I have seen it said before.

Ralph has said in the past a pitcher can be taught control and placement but not velocity. I think there may be an exception as in Erin's case where she was injured and had to relearn everything.

I don't follow recruiting or AAU but I have seen it written that by the time a pitcher is around 14 or 15 her velocity is pretty much what it will be when she's in college. I am not claiming that is true but I have seen it said before.

So true. However, SPEED training --Not STRENGTH training as Sandvol misunderstood at first -- focusing on EXPLOSIVE movement can increase the velocity by a small margin I believe. Case in point; I believe Ivey Renfroe, one of the hardest throwers in our program's history, was throwing in upper 60's out of high school. By her senior yr in WCWS her fastball was clocked at 71-72mph. What happened to her while at UT??

So true. However, SPEED training --Not STRENGTH training as Sandvol misunderstood at first -- focusing on EXPLOSIVE movement can increase the velocity by a small margin I believe. Case in point; I believe Ivey Renfroe, one of the hardest throwers in our program's history, was throwing in upper 60's out of high school. By her senior yr in WCWS her fastball was clocked at 71-72mph. What happened to her while at UT??

It's always been my understanding that velocity comes from the hip movement of the pitcher, not arm strength. I do agree that spin control and placement is very important and can be a continuously taught thing and can only assume using hips, more or less, can assist with velocity as well as placement. Parker was, and accepted, a scholly offer from OU as a HS freshman and it is said that she had very good spin and ball control then. She's been challenged at OU to try and master other ball movement in her arsenal and work on her defense. Not sure that she is throwing any harder than her hs days, but again, can only assume it has increased at least some.

VN Store

Back