We need a couple of players who can score...Nope... We need,,,

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
I have decided to re-post this as a thread starter.

+++++++++++++

Lady Vols no we don't..
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
We need a couple of players who can score.
+++++++++++++++++++++

We need a member of the coaching staff that knows how to get the scoring out of the players we have.

These kids know how to play. They come into a collegiate atmosphere to polish the game they have put their life into.

They need a person on that coaching staff that has new ideas, new drills and new concepts, so they can feel that they are learning something new, while polishing the old skills.One who can read them and instill the right wisdoms at the right time. Can talk them down or raise them so they feel they can walk on air.

They got that in AAU and High School,,, they expect it here. If they don't feel they are getting that they will not give you effort. You DO coach effort with women, not verbal, but by reflection..And if know anything about coaching the female gender, , , Their way of "I'll show you" is not bowing-up , its, shutting-down.

They need an Alpha among the coaching staff. When they get a real one... problem will be solved. An Alpha that knows the GA athlete. ((( Edited for explaining,,,, I said this, not to exclude the other area athletes, but because right now we have four GA AAU/HS players))))

You're not going to get this in your new-hire. Too much variety of duties. Nope, this coach has to be there 24-7.They have to be able to read each athlete.

Thats what is missing here in the LV coaching staff. That is what we lost with Pat.... You can't replace Pat, but you MUST replace her role

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I have decided to re-post this as a thread starter.

+++++++++++++

Lady Vols no we don't..
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
We need a couple of players who can score.
+++++++++++++++++++++

We need a member of the coaching staff that knows how to get the scoring out of the players we have.

These kids know how to play. They come into a collegiate atmosphere to polish the game they have put their life into.

They need a person on that coaching staff that has new ideas, new drills and new concepts, so they can feel that they are learning something new, while polishing the old skills.One who can read them and instill the right wisdoms at the right time. Can talk them down or raise them so they feel they can walk on air.

They got that in AAU and High School,,, they expect it here. If they don't feel they are getting that they will not give you effort. You DO coach effort with women, not verbal, but by reflection..And if know anything about coaching the female gender, , , Their way of "I'll show you" is not bowing-up , its, shutting-down.

They need an Alpha among the coaching staff. When they get a real one... problem will be solved. An Alpha that knows the GA athlete. ((( Edited for explaining,,,, I said this, not to exclude the other area athletes, but because right now we have four GA AAU/HS players))))

You're not going to get this in your new-hire. Too much variety of duties. Nope, this coach has to be there 24-7.They have to be able to read each athlete.

Thats what is missing here in the LV coaching staff. That is what we lost with Pat.... You can't replace Pat, but you MUST replace her role
I thought this was the head coaches job. I'm confused again

Yes, Jumper: Thank you for reminding me of the coaching problem I've talked about longer and more frequently than anyone on this board or anyone associated with the program. I started complaining about our offensive coaching issues 10 years ago--and have been railing about it ever since. Until we get a better staff, a couple of natural scorers/shooters might help. We did have a better offense last year when we had Burdick--a good spot-up shooter. We missed her a lot this year--and we desperately need a good three-point shooter among those in our 7-player rotation.

Reactions: 2 people
Hitting open shots would have made this coaching staff look better. There were plenty of open shots missed and the fact that no guard that played over 20 minutes a game could not hit higher than 38 percent from the field was a major factor in many losses. If these same player average 45 percent the losses go down by about 8 or 9 games.
I grant the fact that coaching is horrible and we give up a lot of possessions because of stupid passing, bad turnovers, and failure to move the ball. Still this team wins 30 games if two or three of these players could shoot the ball consistently. This is partly on coaching, but more on players not working to get better on their own.

They come to UT with a shooting touch. They don't even get noticed by colleges coaches if they can't score the ball. Once at UT they lose their shooting touch. This has been going on for more than a decade. The common denominator = Holly. She chooses to use many of the same training/development methods as Pat - which is all she knows. Which is why she wants to hire an assistant coach that can bring different things to the table.

They come to UT with a shooting touch. They don't even get noticed by colleges coaches if they can't score the ball. Once at UT they lose their shooting touch. This has been going on for more than a decade. The common denominator = Holly. She chooses to use many of the same training/development methods as Pat - which is all she knows. Which is why she wants to hire an assistant coach that can bring different things to the table.

I like your statement it gives me a glimmer of hope for Holly.

Hitting open shots would have made this coaching staff look better. There were plenty of open shots missed and the fact that no guard that played over 20 minutes a game could not hit higher than 38 percent from the field was a major factor in many losses. If these same player average 45 percent the losses go down by about 8 or 9 games.
I grant the fact that coaching is horrible and we give up a lot of possessions because of stupid passing, bad turnovers, and failure to move the ball. Still this team wins 30 games if two or three of these players could shoot the ball consistently. This is partly on coaching, but more on players not working to get better on their own.

++++++++++++

This is what i meant by shutting down. Not literally, but in their minds. These players lost focus when they couldn't put their faith in their system, or lack thereof. I believe in their minds that felt that if they didn't give 100% then something would HAVE to change.... Unfortunately, when they did show signs of hitting their stride, they played with a sense of "OK, good for now, but when will the breakdown start again"

They had fear to take open shots. I can't count how many open looks were passed up, then, forcing the ball to DD or Basha and making them kill their percentages and putting them into "must take" shots.

These girls can shoot the lights out. DD once had a 7-make 3-pt game in HS. Several of them in AAU. I've seen Coop. as a 13 year old in the Pistols. She was magical as a setup guard. She would look for dishes on drives and kicckout to spotups. And unlike this past season, she was more known for wizardry with the dribble than as a shooter. But she was all three. I think it was 2010 when she was in our uniform.

Middleton won both the skills and the 3-pt contest at the 16u's. These girls can play. They just need to feel free to do so. Not the stupid stuff. And they DO do dumb things. But most often it is out of frustration and not out of fundamental deficiencies.

No, I stand firm. They need a mental leader who can invigorate them again.

Last edited:
Well OP there is an opening on the staff - why dont you apply for it ?

+++++++++++++++++

You don't understand what I am doing mikey... I'm not thinking I can worm my way into the Vol staff through this venue... If THEY do read this blog, I want to give them something more than crying about it.

One thread is open to talk about things like Kia Stokes coming to our team :worship:... My approach is to talk to the staff and team, not to the half a million who dropped in for a moment and then left.

BTW mikey, given that shot that you "fully tongue in cheek" are asking... I am ready if they are. I can be there tomorrow.

+++++++++++++++++

You don't understand what I am doing mikey... I'm not thinking I can worm my way into the Vol staff through this venue... If THEY do read this blog, I want to give them something more than crying about it.

One thread is open to talk about things like Kia Stokes coming to our team :worship:... My approach is to talk to the staff and team, not to the half a million who dropped in for a moment and then left.

BTW mikey, given that shot that you "fully tongue in cheek" are asking... I am ready if they are. I can be there tomorrow.

I think posters or referring to Jhanice Stokes the JUCO post player and not Kia Stokes who is in the WNBA.

Reactions: 3 people

yep :hi:

++++++++++++

T

They had fear to take open shots. I can't count how many open looks were passed up, then, forcing the ball to DD or Basha and making them kill their percentages and putting them into "must take" shots.

T

i don't understand why there passing on the wide open shots,as long as Russell is in position to rebound :)

I thought this was the head coaches job. I'm confused again

+++++++++++++

It is a head coaches job to win games.

It is not defined as to the specific duties of a head-coach directly, she can be the lead recruiter HC, Lead practice HC, or the completely hands-off HC... All that is expected of the HC is to win.

I was in college during UTC's sweet sixteen men's run. After that season Mike McCarthey left for VCU and Henry Dickerson stepped into that role. . . I interned for the incoming AD, Oval Jaynes, so I saw Henry often. And we were of similar age (I was 37). so we talked.... I asked him, "Are you going to continue to recruit? , , He said, "I will do what Mike did".

He wasn't Mike.

Holly just has to find her best public image and be the face of this program. And hire coaches and volunteers who can do what she needs to get done. . . The job of a head coach is to be obsolete during the operation of the game.

i don't understand why there passing on the wide open shots,as long as Russell is in position to rebound :)

When the public statement is "The next one to shoot a 3 will.... Said to the media....

I mean, would you take the shot with that lingering thought?

When the public statement is "The next one to shoot a 3 will.... Said to the media....

I mean, would you take the shot with that lingering thought?

Not every passed up open shot was a three. And I believe that statement was about quick threes.

Not every passed up open shot was a three. And I believe that statement was about quick threes.

"Quickshooting" was also a constant theme. Unless you are in certain game situations there is no such thing as "quickshooting." There are only easier shots and more difficult ones. Too often we passed up shots only to have to take similar or harder ones late in clock because that was what we were coached to do. Essentially, our official policy was to give the defense a mulligan.

+++++++++++++

THE STATEMENT WAS:

"It got to where I said, ?If you shoot another 3, I'll cut your arm off,' " she said. "We've got to get a feel for when it's not going in, to get an and-one. Get the ball inside and penetrate. We'll learn."

It may have been "qualified" later, but initially it was that verbatim.

When you speak to the female gender, you have to understand that in every paragraph, they only hear a sentence.

Getting the ball inside is impossible if the opposition knows that is your focus. So, if they KNOW we are trying to force it inside, they can double the post because they know we are missing the three.

The three is vital in BB. Of the FF participants:
(top fifty in statistical data)

UCONN: 38.1%. ranked #11... 7.8 per game ranked #24
Washington: unranked in %.... 7.3 per game #37
Oregon St 35.5% ranked #27... unranked in per game
Syracuse: unranked in %... 8.8 per game #12

UT 25.4 %.... 14.33 attempts per game

So, with these number i can understand why HW said something... But the psyche of the team was already down and to say this "in this way" put them in a spot where it took away one of their weapons. They were uncomfortable shooting the three from that point on.

I would have made them shoot 3's in practice until their arms fall off... You don't throw away the knife because its dull, you sharpen it.

Reactions: 3 people
"Quickshooting" was also a constant theme. Unless you are in certain game situations there is no such thing as "quickshooting." There are only easier shots and more difficult ones. Too often we passed up shots only to have to take similar or harder ones late in clock because that was what we were coached to do. Essentially, our official policy was to give the defense a mulligan.

I watched the Texas and Baylor game this year and both teams were shooting within 5 to 6 seconds.....They were the first open shots!!!!!! and the Texas coach could be heard during a time out! Take the shot.... if you are not open (THEN) wait on the bigs!!! This is how you score more points....Just saying:)

This is why players want to play in this system! ITS FUN!:clapping:

I watched the Texas and Baylor game this year and both teams were shooting within 5 to 6 seconds.....They were the first open shots!!!!!! and the Texas coach could be heard during a time out! Take the shot.... if you are not open (THEN) wait on the bigs!!! This is how you score more points....Just saying:)

This is why players want to play in this system! ITS FUN!:clapping:

+++++++++++++

Syracuse was the same way. Shoot, shoot and then shoot some more... Works until the field got smaller... from then on it was old school...Offense wins games, defense wins championships

This demenstrates that with better coaching to eliminate these turnovers, the team would have won at least 4 more, if not more, games last year and would have had a better seeding in the NCAA. Trying to force inside, throwing the ball behind players, and not using the bounce pass can be corrected by good coaching.

In addition, our inside players seldom use the board for shots inside 6 feet. A bank shot is much easier to shoot, more difficult to block and if missed is easier to get an offensive rebound. Just some of the basics of basketball which we have not seen in the last few years.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back