Bashaara Graves in the WNBA

T.J.

Bashaara's stock has gone down greatly ever since her freshmen season at Tennessee.

I'll be surprised if she makes a WNBA team.

We shall know tonight.

Any guesses what round Bash will end up or not at all?

Bashaara's stock has gone down greatly ever since her freshmen season at Tennessee.

We shall know tonight.

Why do you bother wasting your time watching anything Lady Vols? You have nothing good to say about any of them. Go watch someone else if you ain't happy here.

Reactions: 16 people

We shall know tonight.

She will definitely be drafted. I think quite possibly in the 1st (9th to Indy as the replacement to Catchings when she retires) or 12th to New York (She's a Bill Lambier type of player) I also think San Antonio could be in play in the second round along with Phoenix and if she slips to the 3rd round every team would be trying to draft her. She has too much upside and most teams/coaches in the WNBA will be able to tell she was under utilized in Knoxville do to Holly's inability to develop an offense to fit her. At 6'2" (3 inches taller than Nina Davis) it is no way she shouldn't be putting up the same numbers but Kim Mulkey knows how to create schemes to get the best out of her players Holly just wants our players to throw the ball inside.

Reactions: 4 people
Why do you bother wasting your time watching anything Lady Vols? You have nothing good to say about any of them. Go watch someone else if you ain't happy here.

++++++++++

T.J. ... Its one thing to complain and point out, it is fully another to try to lead revolt... You want a wagon that everybody is in LaLa land riding on, go join Geno's gig... We're looking for answers here. Sometimes the VolNation individuals soapbox a little, but most of the true supporters know that you can't stand on the soapbox forever, otherwise, someone who wants to stand on it for a moment will simply knock you off.... Case in point, ME..!

I am going to post a new thread a little later today. I hope to make it words of interest, to expand on criticisms and subject-matter made by posters on the ""Warlick for fresh ideas in new coach"thread that are in need of more examination and to suggest positive ideas that I think might aid in the program's upturn as they move forward. My initial post will be somewhat wordy :)yahoo: imagine that) because of the MANY subject matter of that thread.

I know I yelled "fire Holly" in my initial posts too. I spoke of how DD, Coop and Draya all are GA girls (And now out newest recruit) All are GA. AAU phenoms and how they are used to being coached much differently than other sections of the country.... But at some point I stepped off of the soapbox and took my "jabs and criticisms" and answered and responded to each and every one I could.

Later today, I am going to step back up on that box. I will get some "right on's" and I will hear some "Who the F are you's"... But the one thing that I hope to never hear is what I am about to tell you now... "Find a new team if all you want to do is drag this program down". This program needs and loves its fans (The one who Bit-Gripe_tch and the ones who compliment"... What it doesn't need is fans of another program who are only hear to stir up hate, bigotry and inner turmoil.

I am putting my money where my mouth is. I am trying to do something about the direction of this program... Part of my responsibility of being part of this board is to generate thought, make corrective and/or positive suggestions in things I am well versed in and opiniate or critique. The other part of my responsibility if I am truly a fan is to shut the hell up if all i can do is be a Henny Penny...

Till later VN,
Coach Jumper

Reactions: 2 people

We shall know tonight.

She is predicted to be the 22 pick in the first round

Reactions: 1 person
I suspect Graves will be selected in the middle of the second round. And I think she might well be a sleeper pick - we talk about HS kids already having 'college bodies' - I think Graves has a 'pro body' and if she gets taken by a team that knows how to use her she could surprise a lot of people. It struck me that she was the most frustrated TN player for the last three years working in an offensive system and with teammates that never gelled as a team.

On the right WNBA team with good guards I think she could explode.

There are 3 rounds in this years draft (36 total selections). 12 selections per round. In the Mock Draft as of today, Bash will be the 19th pick (2nd round). I'm not seeing where her stock has gone down. If anything, it went up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
There are 3 rounds in this years draft (36 total selections). 12 selections per round. In the Mock Draft as of today, Bash will be the 19th pick (2nd round). I'm not seeing where her stock has gone down. If anything, it went up.

I think if someone had projected Graves draft status after her freshman year and after her USA basketball stint (she was one of the top three players on that team and very impressive) it would have been 'top five' and certainly first round. So compared to that initial national exposure her status has certainly dropped. You could see glimpses of the raw talent the last three years, but it just never went anywhere. Post players/power forwards are so dependent on their guards and the system they are in because they seldom initiate offense. Guards with the ball in their hands can 'shine' more individually regardless of the team around them.

I suspect Graves will be selected in the middle of the second round. And I think she might well be a sleeper pick - we talk about HS kids already having 'college bodies' - I think Graves has a 'pro body' and if she gets taken by a team that knows how to use her she could surprise a lot of people. It struck me that she was the most frustrated TN player for the last three years working in an offensive system and with teammates that never gelled as a team.

On the right WNBA team with good guards I think she could explode.

Stephanie White (the coach for the Indiana Fever) announced the games in our region during the tournament (where Graves played some of her best ball since her freshman year until she hurt her finger) and had high praise for Graves and how she felt she could be a 3 at the next level but she thinks she would play very well at the 4 slot. Indiana has Catchings (a Tennessee Alum) who is on her way out and also always spoke highly of Graves. They have the 9th selection if Imani Boyette is gone look at the Fever selecting her.

I admire Graves's work ethic, and she will do OK as a pro if her team needs a hard-working rebounder. If a team expects her to score, they probably are going to be disappointed. She only scored in college, mostly, from offensive put-backs--and even those will be harder to come by in the WNBA. I can't imagine her becoming a 3 as a pro or replacing Catchings--that, frankly, is silly as Catchings has been a premier scoring talent for her entire career while Graves's offensive game is pedestrian. She did develop a little as an outside shooter, and that could continue. She really needs to make quicker decisions with the basketball and be more explosive instead of holding the ball and thinking about what she should do, which was her style at UT. Wish her well.

I admire Graves's work ethic, and she will do OK as a pro if her team needs a hard-working rebounder. If a team expects her to score, they probably are going to be disappointed. She only scored in college, mostly, from offensive put-backs--and even those will be harder to come by in the WNBA. I can't imagine her becoming a 3 as a pro or replacing Catchings--that, frankly, is silly as Catchings has been a premier scoring talent for her entire career while Graves's offensive game is pedestrian. She did develop a little as an outside shooter, and that could continue. She really needs to make quicker decisions with the basketball and be more explosive instead of holding the ball and thinking about what she should do, which was her style at UT. Wish her well.

I would love to see her at the next level playing for coaches who coaches players to their strengths as oppose to coaches who force players to play a certain way.

I doubt very seriously she'll ever play a real game in the Wnba.

Can she guard the like of DelleDonne? Score on Griner? Post up Candace?

not in this lifetime.

I think if someone had projected Graves draft status after her freshman year and after her USA basketball stint (she was one of the top three players on that team and very impressive) it would have been 'top five' and certainly first round. So compared to that initial national exposure her status has certainly dropped. You could see glimpses of the raw talent the last three years, but it just never went anywhere. Post players/power forwards are so dependent on their guards and the system they are in because they seldom initiate offense. Guards with the ball in their hands can 'shine' more individually regardless of the team around them.

My thoughts exactly! Sorry everybody if I came across crass in my original thread. I do like Bashaara and the Lady Vols. Unfortunately I've been in a negative funk because of how the season ended. Trust me I've never felt so disappointed with a Lady Vol team ever. Thanks for calling me out to wake me up out of my funk.

Reading again what I originally posted. YES, I was way too negative. I do hope Bash makes a WNBA team. If it is the 2nd or 3rd round. She could possibly succeed as a pro player. Best of luck to her!

I apologize for being so negative. I'll be more positive. Thanks!

T.J.

I know exactly what you mean by why even bother watching the Lady Vols. I've questioned myself many a time this past season. Why bother?

I've been a Lady Vol junkie ever since The 3 Meeks era. My friends and family even told me to get a grip and why do I watch them play if I'm always saying something negative about them? :crazy:

I love the Lady Vols but I'm thinking that I love them a little too much. Thanks for your post. You really did slap me out of it. More positivity is needed especially for my mental health. :)

++++++++++

T.J. ... Its one thing to complain and point out, it is fully another to try to lead revolt... You want a wagon that everybody is in LaLa land riding on, go join Geno's gig... We're looking for answers here. Sometimes the VolNation individuals soapbox a little, but most of the true supporters know that you can't stand on the soapbox forever, otherwise, someone who wants to stand on it for a moment will simply knock you off.... Case in point, ME..!

I am going to post a new thread a little later today. I hope to make it words of interest, to expand on criticisms and subject-matter made by posters on the ""Warlick for fresh ideas in new coach"thread that are in need of more examination and to suggest positive ideas that I think might aid in the program's upturn as they move forward. My initial post will be somewhat wordy :)yahoo: imagine that) because of the MANY subject matter of that thread.

I know I yelled "fire Holly" in my initial posts too. I spoke of how DD, Coop and Draya all are GA girls (And now out newest recruit) All are GA. AAU phenoms and how they are used to being coached much differently than other sections of the country.... But at some point I stepped off of the soapbox and took my "jabs and criticisms" and answered and responded to each and every one I could.

Later today, I am going to step back up on that box. I will get some "right on's" and I will hear some "Who the F are you's"... But the one thing that I hope to never hear is what I am about to tell you now... "Find a new team if all you want to do is drag this program down". This program needs and loves its fans (The one who Bit-Gripe_tch and the ones who compliment"... What it doesn't need is fans of another program who are only hear to stir up hate, bigotry and inner turmoil.

I am putting my money where my mouth is. I am trying to do something about the direction of this program... Part of my responsibility of being part of this board is to generate thought, make corrective and/or positive suggestions in things I am well versed in and opiniate or critique. The other part of my responsibility if I am truly a fan is to shut the hell up if all i can do is be a Henny Penny...

Till later VN,
Coach Jumper

You had a lot to say coach Jumper. I know... Stop with all the negativity. My head is down and I'm feeling defeated. My only choice is to think happy thoughts for the upcoming season which will make me feel better,anyway.

Henny Penny? I'm going to use that against you when you step into the dark side. Remember, if you're going to generate your thoughts make it all positive.:)

I think people are underestimating Graves. She has the build to move to the 3 and I think she has the skills to expand her game to that position. She is quick not extremely fast but she does have speed. I think she has the potential to be sort of like Swin Cash. If she goes to the right team. Chicago would be a good place. Indiana is good. San Antonio is needs a replacement for Young. Seattle would be good so she can play beside Stewart and kinda play the role Little played with Jackson. Atlanta. She has options and will get the opportunity. I think we will be surprised at how well she does when given the opportunity.

:good!:m:clapping:
My thoughts exactly! Sorry everybody if I came across crass in my original thread. I do like Bashaara and the Lady Vols. Unfortunately I've been in a negative funk because of how the season ended. Trust me I've never felt so disappointed with a Lady Vol team ever. Thanks for calling me out to wake me up out of my funk.

Reading again what I originally posted. YES, I was way too negative. I do hope Bash makes a WNBA team. If it is the 2nd or 3rd round. She could possibly succeed as a pro player. Best of luck to her!

I apologize for being so negative. I'll be more positive. Thanks!
:good!::clapping:

T.J.

I know exactly what you mean by why even bother watching the Lady Vols. I've questioned myself many a time this past season. Why bother?

I've been a Lady Vol junkie ever since The 3 Meeks era. My friends and family even told me to get a grip and why do I watch them play if I'm always saying something negative about them? :crazy:

I love the Lady Vols but I'm thinking that I love them a little too much. Thanks for your post. You really did slap me out of it. More positivity is needed especially for my mental health. :)

No problem.

Sometime in the past week I read that 12 players would be invited to attend the draft in person, but it did not say who the 12 were. Does anyone know if Graves is one of the 12 or have a list of the 12 invitees?

Sometime in the past week I read that 12 players would be invited to attend the draft in person, but it did not say who the 12 were. Does anyone know if Graves is one of the 12 or have a list of the 12 invitees?

Bashaara was not invited. It seems that the only ones invited were those that were projected to go in the 1st round.

VN Store

Back