Elzy shouldn’t have lost coaching job

OMG . This is crazy.. explain why the recruiting coordinator can't land a recruit not one?.ill wait.. not saying she shoudl have left but if the head coach and assistant is not seeing eye to eye then yes its a time for the change ppl can see that on the recruiting trail and also not landing an recruit was way before the season started so .. that is on the recruiting coordinator no if ands or butts

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Good lord no don't be sorry! That was the first I've seen of that article. All points taken. Although it was quite short. An abrupt ending I wanted to read more of what the writer had to say.

Thanks for posting.

No Problem T.J. the truth is out there !

Elzy shouldn?t have lost coaching job

If it was already posted i`m sorry

The blame for the failure and/or success of this team falls upon the head coach. If Elzy was indeed the recruiting problem then perhaps the move was right. Can we really blame her for the lack of fulfilling our needs such as a post player for the last three years? How about the fact that for the last 3 years, we have not filled all of our available scholarships? I would think that a good head coach would have noticed long before now, that we have recruiting issues. I really hope this move was not made to deflect the problem away from Holly. It does not matter what each assistant coach is responsible for, it is up to the head coach to evaluate his/her staff annually and make moves before a program starts heading South. Is Elzy responsible for the awful offense and 2nd half letdown of our team, in many cases against teams we should have easily beaten. Was she responsible for the inability to make in game changes? During 2015-2016, there was a lot more wrong with this team then Elzy. The best answer might be for Holly to fire her entire staff, including herself.:thumbsup:

Reactions: 10 people
The blame for the failure and/or success of this team falls upon the head coach. If Elzy was indeed the recruiting problem then perhaps the move was right. Can we really blame her for the lack of fulfilling our needs such as a post player for the last three years? How about the fact that for the last 3 years, we have not filled all of our available scholarships? I would think that a good head coach would have noticed long before now, that we have recruiting issues. I really hope this move was not made to deflect the problem away from Holly. It does not matter what each assistant coach is responsible for, it is up to the head coach to evaluate his/her staff annually and make moves before a program starts heading South. Is Elzy responsible for the awful offense and 2nd half letdown of our team, in many cases against teams we should have easily beaten. Was she responsible for the inability to make in game changes? During 2015-2016, there was a lot more wrong with this team then Elzy. The best answer might be for Holly to fire her entire staff, including herself.:thumbsup:

As usual you are spot on TD....This dismissal was not because Elzy was not doing as well as the rest of the coaching staff.... this was a move by HW.... proactively or forced.... to manifest some sort of change on the staff,,,, although I do not see any giant change coming..... That was a good article which I hadn't seen.... it is pretty good.... I only disagree when it comes to applauding HW for her knowledge of x's and o's..... I know what I would do if I was Dave Hart.... but that is not what he is going to do... so I will kick back and be immune to it all though i must confess it is very difficult to do so

Reactions: 3 people
The majority of us fans agree with what this fan says in this letter. We'll have to continue to see this through to a finish good or bad.

Reactions: 1 person
Recruiting coordinator generally is responsible for planning viewing window assignments, establishing and maintaining contacts and getting recruits in the door for the program and the HC to seal the deal. As far as I can see, TN has been on the short list of a lot of very talented recruits, has gotten them in the door, but has been unable to seal the deal once they came to campus. It is hard to assign blame to the coordinator specifically for the failure to seal any recruits commitments once they are on campus - it is a program failure and one that generally falls to the HC as the 'closer'. It may also (as in the case of the transfer Harper) fall on the spirit within the team as well - also generally an area that the HC is responsible for if the program is found wanting.

I have no idea what Elzy is like as a coach or a person and how she functioned with players or her fellow coaches, but in the title of 'recruiting coordinator' from the outside she seemed to be getting the job done.

Reactions: 2 people
Regardless of who's fault it is, we are in spring signing season and we have no recruiting coordinator and do not seem to be in much of a hurry to get one.

Im also very interested to know which player some are supposing would have transferred out if Elzy had stayed.

Recruiting coordinator generally is responsible for planning viewing window assignments, establishing and maintaining contacts and getting recruits in the door for the program and the HC to seal the deal. As far as I can see, TN has been on the short list of a lot of very talented recruits, has gotten them in the door, but has been unable to seal the deal once they came to campus. It is hard to assign blame to the coordinator specifically for the failure to seal any recruits commitments once they are on campus - it is a program failure and one that generally falls to the HC as the 'closer'. It may also (as in the case of the transfer Harper) fall on the spirit within the team as well - also generally an area that the HC is responsible for if the program is found wanting.

I have no idea what Elzy is like as a coach or a person and how she functioned with players or her fellow coaches, but in the title of 'recruiting coordinator' from the outside she seemed to be getting the job done.

She should have been telling recruits to ignore the lousy head coach we have and sign with us anyway. What was she thinking?

Reactions: 5 people
You can't read it without subscribing to the KNS - what does it say?

Pick any "fire holly" post from the last 6 months and there's your letter: "worst job by a head coach in Lady Vols history...another year to further drive the program out of the top 25...losing 14 games and getting removed from The Associated Press top 25...all we heard was we've got to get the ball inside...Warlick's best coaching job all year was a game in which she gave up...".

That's it in a nutshell. Nothing new.

And you know that how?

I'll say this and say no more on the topic, if she had stayed, we would not be talking about everyone on the team returning.

BINGO!! I love Elzy but it was best she departed.

Which tells me that on our team we have ladies softer than toilet tissue!! So what if Elzy coached them hard....crap someone had too!! HW isn't worth a lick but a good cop coach who has no idea what she is doing....I've said it before and I'll say it again wherever Kyra ends up she will win....she is a fantastic coach!

Reactions: 5 people
Which tells me that on our team we have ladies softer than toilet tissue!! So what if Elzy coached them hard....crap someone had too!! HW isn't worth a lick but a good cop coach who has no idea what she is doing....I've said it before and I'll say it again wherever Kyra ends up she will win....she is a fantastic coach!

...........ok!

This is a pattern we have seen before in football. Phil Fulmer fired assistants when the team began sliding under him during his final years. We also saw a revolving door under Dooley as he tried to conceal his own inadequate efforts.

As I said in an earlier posting, Holly Warlick might be a good coaching hire at 95% of the women's basketball programs. That would be the 95% that have never made the sweet 16 or better. And if Holly were let go, I have no doubt one of these programs might reach out to her. Bringing her in would be perceived as a great boost to that program. But I have serious doubts she would ever be able to make them a championship team.

We all assumed Holly would continue Pat's level of success. We hoped she had learned from Pat everything she needed to do to win championships. It is becoming clear that certain things Pat brought to the table are dishes Holly did not get a good helping of on her plate.

And there are some in the media that may still support her. Well, Mickey Dearstone, now that she has made a scapegoat out of another former Lady Vol, let's just see how long she lasts if or when next year's team post an even worse regular season record. It did not work for Phil. It did not work for Mr. Fear The Pants. Let's see how many Get Out Of Jail Free cards Holly manages to draw, and pray to God there is enough solid pieces left of what Pat built lying among the rubble that the next coach can build upon.

Last edited:
For those the link is not working for:

Elzy shouldn’t have lost coaching job
Yesterday 3:00 a.m.
0 Comments
We know how the University of Tennessee is going to handle the worst job by a head coach in Lady Vols history. The buck stops at the desk of former associate head coach Kyra Elzy. Head coach Holly Warlick, with her $600,000 a year salary, has another year to further drive the program out of the top 25. I have heard the argument that we should look at Warlick's history and the wins accumulated over her four years. Why does this same logic not apply to Elzy? She has been on the sidelines for the duration of Warlick's tenure. I have heard the argument that Elzy was in charge of recruiting and the Lady Vols did not sign any players during the last recruiting cycle. This does not account for already having seven McDonald's All American players, losing 14 games and getting removed from The Associated Press top 25 Division I-A women's teams.

Warlick may understand the X's and O's of the game. However, she seems to lack the analytical skill to recognize when something is not working. During her interviews, all we heard was we've got to get the ball inside. Sure she has a 6-foot-6 post player inside. When she is being double and sometimes triple teamed, why would a coach continue to insist that the ball go inside? This past year's team had too much athleticism not to be pushing the ball up the court, as they did in the first two wins in the SEC Tournament. They were actually having fun playing together. Warlick's best coaching job all year was a game in which she gave up on the team early and sat quietly on the bench for the duration. Her assistant coaches inspired the struggling team on to victory.

James B. Bussell, Knoxville

0 Share Tweet

How about the fact that for the last 3 years, we have not filled all of our available scholarships? :

i can't remember the last time the Lady Vols had a full roster of scholarship players,CPS didn't have a full team either,as best as I can remember

obviously something was going or she wouldn't have been fired,we will probably not ever know why unless Elzy says something

VN Store

Back