Warlick for fresh ideas in new coach.

Anybody heard Elzy's reason for the split? Any rumors on who we might get? Holly can't be hot on the recruiting trail if she's having surgery on bunions.

Anybody heard Elzy's reason for the split? Any rumors on who we might get? Holly can't be hot on the recruiting trail if she's having surgery on bunions.

Holly explained the reason in her article, and someone posted it here.

Holly says Elzy and her had different ideas and that is the reason for the split.

Recruiting, fresh ideas important to Holly Warlick in assistant coach search
I haven't read anyone response to this post, I did read the article in the paper. I for the life of me can't understand this woman. I thought she was suppose to be the wizard of offense. Now she is out looking for someone else to place this burden on. I, if I were looking for a job and she came to me ( sure that ain't goin' happen) would ask the question. You worked for the renown coach Pat Summitt and you are telling me, you don't know offense. No thanks, Coach Warlick, I will look elsewhere!

Reactions: 4 people

No explanation for Elzy's split. She just got fired. Holly need more...

I haven't read anyone response to this post, I did read the article in the paper. I for the life of me can't understand this woman. I thought she was suppose to be the wizard of offense. Now she is out looking for someone else to place this burden on. I, if I were looking for a job and she came to me ( sure that ain't goin' happen) would ask the question. You worked for the renown coach Pat Summitt and you are telling me, you don't know offense. No thanks, Coach Warlick, I will look

Elzy went from being promoted a year ago to getting sacked. There were clearly issues between the two woman--no doubt over recruiting, and probably over other things, and on top of it Elzy apparently was seeking other jobs, which surely annoyed/angered Warlick. If Elzy was not happy, that would explain our poor recruiting year, which in turn would explain why Warlick let her go. I would like to hear what Elzy has to say about the situation--THAT would make for good reading.

Reactions: 3 people
I think the team we have is one of the hardest to coach, and while coaching is not an exact science the staff has to be on the same page and not their own.

For the players;
They need to become humble, the ball hogging and selfish plays needs to stop. Simply said point guard or guards was the issue last year, CHW needs to find 2 jems and give them the keys to the car. Lack of playing hard would be a reason to tell the player to walk, I can think of many coaches that would not stand for because you will not make it to the final 4 without it.

As coach Barns would be telling them, you are stealing from the team play hard both ends or come sit by me.

I haven't read anyone response to this post, I did read the article in the paper. I for the life of me can't understand this woman. I thought she was suppose to be the wizard of offense. Now she is out looking for someone else to place this burden on. I, if I were looking for a job and she came to me ( sure that ain't goin' happen) would ask the question. You worked for the renown coach Pat Summitt and you are telling me, you don't know offense. No thanks, Coach Warlick, I will look elsewhere!

What are you talking about? The great renowned Pat Summitt went out looking for new ideas and changed our offense a couple of times. A bad coach is a coach that is stuck in their ways and keeps doing the same thing again and again whether it is working or not. Holly realizes their is a problem and is looking to upgrade our team. I don't think Holly has done a great job so far and I have many complaints of her but this isn't one of them.

What about Gail Goestenkors as an assistant? She has head coaching experience, final four experience, wnba coaching, and def. knows how to coach up players as she's had a few through her programs.

It's going to take more than a hotshot assistant to turn the LV ship around, unless said assistant can manage to quickly produce elite commitments and teach HW how to lead and develop a team. If a HC needs "new ideas" and such, why does the LV program need a HC without answers to anything after all those years working beside a HOF HC as well as her own time being one? I thought that was why they paid her the big bucks at an elite program. Silly me.

What are you talking about? The great renowned Pat Summitt went out looking for new ideas and changed our offense a couple of times. A bad coach is a coach that is stuck in their ways and keeps doing the same thing again and again whether it is working or not. Holly realizes their is a problem and is looking to upgrade our team. I don't think Holly has done a great job so far and I have many complaints of her but this isn't one of them.
Indeed, even if you were a coach that for years had an 80 ppg offense that was thought to have a good system behind it, if it suddenly began to plunge down into the 60s, then clearly it's stale and needs an upgrade. Defenses adapt and what works well in one period may become weak a few years later. Smart coaches are constantly checking out new wrinkles from other coaches and may very well bring in someone with a whole new set of ideas to drastically shake up the offense. There's no shame in saying that you are not the top expert in running a top-line offense; the only shame is saying you won't listen to someone who is, or refuse to get help.

Reactions: 2 people
Indeed, even if you were a coach that for years had an 80 ppg offense that was thought to have a good system behind it, if it suddenly began to plunge down into the 60s, then clearly it's stale and needs an upgrade. Defenses adapt and what works well in one period may become weak a few years later. Smart coaches are constantly checking out new wrinkles from other coaches and may very well bring in someone with a whole new set of ideas to drastically shake up the offense. There's no shame in saying that you are not the top expert in running a top-line offense; the only shame is saying you won't listen to someone who is, or refuse to get help.

I totally agree. That's why I hope she brings in an offensive guru because the defense is OK. It's not great, but it's not what had been losing us games, either.

Holly needs to own up to her failure and that`s the bottom line.

Holly saying she wants "recruiting" and "new ideas" in the new hire is a close as its going to get to Holly owning up for "now 1 recruit" and "her Offensive short comings", IMO.

She's going to keep her job. Maybe that hammer toe surgery will unlock a flow of that knowledge she allegedly learned from the best

Lets be clear recruiting falls on the recruiting coordinator. and you can't tell me she could not sign 1 top 100 recruit . When north Carolina has 2 and they under an investigation please. It was necessary esp if they have different views. New ideas and change I see nothing wrong with that . If you think geno comes up with all his ideas your a fool he always credit CD for her work.

Reactions: 1 person
Save Semeka from Alabama A&M and bring her on board.... Our guards could learn alot from her like how to be first team all sec and a Kodak All American

Forgive me if I offend any of you lady vol fans, but Holly Warlick is not going to turn this program around. She is a fair position coach, that is all. To think that all you have to do is hire another asst. coach and everything is going to be good, is absurd. CHW should be let go now, before any more damage is done. Find the best coach you can, pay them, and get on with it. Recruits do not want to come here, that is a bad sign.

Reactions: 8 people
Lets be clear recruiting falls on the recruiting coordinator. and you can't tell me she could not sign 1 top 100 recruit . When north Carolina has 2 and they under an investigation please. It was necessary esp if they have different views. New ideas and change I see nothing wrong with that . If you think geno comes up with all his ideas your a fool he always credit CD for her work.

The recruiting coordinator is in charge of the logistics of recruiting. They schedule visits, do evaluations, and handle everything about bringing kids in. They are not any more the prime recruiter than anyone else on staff. Each identified kid will be assigned an assistant to lead the recruiting and the final pitch comes from the head coach.

VN Store

Back