Softball RPI

2Alum4EverVol

First RPI of the season is out with 12 SEC teams ranked in the top 31.

(#1 Michigan)
#2 FLorida
#6 TAMU
#7 KY
#9 Bama
#10 MO
#11 LSU
#15 Auburn
#21 TN
#23 SC
#24 GA
#29 Ole MS
#31 MS St
#73 AR

Reactions: 4 people
Can't remember any other sports in which the SEC was so dominant top-to-bottom. FB? Yep, but not like this. Baseball? Likewise. Tennis? Yes, but not to this extent. WBB? Yes, but not to this level. It's truly insane. If the trend continues, WCWS will once again be known as the SEC invitational with 4-5 or more SEC teams in it. Facility upgrades, FB notoriety. good recruiting, great coaching, TV exposure with the SEC network, etc., all contributed.

I think you'll see us start slowly moving up in RPI as them team develops. By the SEC tournament I think we'll be rolling.

Reactions: 1 person
The SEC alone will take care of the RPI. We need to win all the games that were favored and hopefully a few where were not.

I need someone to explain the RPI to me.....for all sports.

I looked up Michigan's schedule. They have played 6 games against ranked opponents. Florida's strength of schedule is much more difficult, not just the rest of the season but even at this point as Florida has played its last 6 games vs. ranked opponents.

In addition, Florida has a better record than Michigan and played them, winning the game in 5 innings, run ruling them 8-0.

What metric is being used here? I can find no reason for Michigan to be ranked over Florida.

Head to head? no.
More quality wins? no.
Better record? no

I looked up Michigan's schedule. They have played 6 games against ranked opponents. Florida's strength of schedule is much more difficult, not just the rest of the season but even at this point as Florida has played its last 6 games vs. ranked opponents.

In addition, Florida has a better record than Michigan and played them, winning the game in 5 innings, run ruling them 8-0.

What metric is being used here? I can find no reason for Michigan to be ranked over Florida.

Head to head? no.
More quality wins? no.
Better record? no

Opponents record is involved as well as opponents opponents record too

Latest RPI rankings released today:

#1 FL
(#2 Michigan)
(#3 Oklahoma)
#4 Bama
#5 Auburn
#11 KY
#12 Mizzou
#13 Tennessee
#14 LSU
#16 A&M
#19 GA
#23 SC
#29 Ole Miss
#33 MS St
#57 AR

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

#1 FL
(#2 Michigan)
(#3 Oklahoma)
#4 Bama
#5 Auburn
#11 KY
#12 Mizzou
#13 Tennessee
#14 LSU
#16 A&M
#19 GA
#23 SC
#29 Ole Miss
#33 MS St
#57 AR

#13 is about right for our Lady Vols especially if we sweep Georgia tonight. If we do that I think we deserve top 10 status next RPI results as long as we take care of business.

Head to head? no.
More quality wins? no.
Better record? no

If it's like basketball a road win is weighted 1.4 and a home win is weighted 0.6. That is why our home wining streak has not advanced us up the RPI ladder very much. Also, your opponents strength of schedule is heavily weighted. So, if you beat a team who beats other good teams it adds more weight to your RPI.

#13 is about right for our Lady Vols especially if we sweep Georgia tonight. If we do that I think we deserve top 10 status next RPI results as long as we take care of business.

After losing tonight in the series finally to Georgia I stick with us staying at #13 probably now. Had we won then top 10 but that didn't happen.

I am no authority on RPI, and sometimes it gets confusing but the following are what I know:

Basic formula is based on winning percentage of course. One's own winning percentage, opponent's winning percentage and opponent's opponent's winning percentage are used in calculation and they are weighted differently. Then the base RPI gets ADJUSTED employing many different factors and this is where it gets a little confusing for average fans; home wins , neutral wins and away wins are calculated and weighted differently. Bonus points are awarded for wins vs. top 25/50 RPI teams and also penalty points are accessed if lose to lower-tiered RPI teams. If have an away win against a top-25 team, one gets a nice RPI boost. RPI gets better by simply playing teams with higher RPI than your own RPI, and RPI gets lower by playing teams with lower RPI even if beat them. This is why RPI favors power conferences. SOS (strength of schedule) is important in calculating/adjusting RPI. Tennessee, being in the SEE with all these power teams with high RPI on its schedule definitely gets the benefit of doubt. RPI is not perfect by any means; for one thing it does not consider margin of victory. Whether one run-rules a team by 20 or barely squeaks by one run, it all doesn't matter. A W is a W. It's all same. IMO, if the system uses margin of victory, then it will provide a better gauge of the team's actual strength.

It is what it is, and the NCAA selection committee uses RPI when assigning national seeds on selection Sunday. So we need to play the game and be smart about it.

Upcoming Oklahoma (RPI #3) game and Auburn (RPI #5) series will serve as a nice RPI booster for Tennessee, especially if we can beat them even at home. Depending on the outcome, our RPI may vey well get propelled into top 8-10, and that's where we want to sit heading into SEC tournament with a shot at hosting a super regional.

Latest RPI rankings:

#1 FL
(#2 Michigan)
(#3 Oklahoma)
#4 Bama
#5 Auburn
(#6 James Madison)
(#7 Oregon)
(#8 Washington)
#11 Mizzou
#12 Kentucky
#13 Tennessee
#15 LSU
#19 Georgia
#22 A&M
#28 South Carolina
#30 Ole Miss
#33 MS St
#65 Arkansas

Going to be hard to crack the top 8 and hosting a Super Regional. Take 2-of-3 from Auburn, sweep Ole Miss, and win SEC tournament...maybe.

The RPI is only one of the methods used to seeding for post season

Not really. RPI is the single most important factor/indicator used for post-season seeding. Since 2007 when RPI data first became available, national seeds have borne a striking resemblance to the RPI. The seeds tend to mirror the RPI (rankings).

Graham Hays artitlcle (May, 2014) will explain its importance in detail:

espnW -- NCAA softball teams at mercy of RPI

Going to be hard to crack the top 8 and hosting a Super Regional. Take 2-of-3 from Auburn, sweep Ole Miss, and win SEC tournament...maybe.

If beat Auburn 2 out of 3, sweep Ole Miss, then I think TN just needs to get to the SECT championship game to get a top 8 national seed. But TN will have to play a solid game against whomever it faces in the championship game if it gets that far. Last yr, TN's run to the SECT championship game and a narrow loss against Auburn helped TN secure the 8th seed even though TN's RPI ranking was actually #9 I believe. The selection committee members will be watching the SECT for sure. Eye test is important and putting on a good show at this juncture is critical especially after the OU debacle.

#1 FL
#2 MI
#3 OU
#4 Bama
#5 FL St
#6 OR
#7 Auburn
#8 WA
#9 JMU
#10 Mizzou
#11 ULL
#12 KY
#13 Tennessee
#14 Baylor
#15 UCLA
#16 LSU
#18 A&M
#19 GA
#27 USC
#29 Ole Miss
#34 MS St
#70 AR

Tennessee stayed the same at #13. At this point securing a top 8-10 RPI ranking before the Selection Sunday seems like a long shot. Ole Miss series next weekend won't help TN's RPI. Maybe Tennessee will have to win the SECT now to get a shot at hosting a super regional. That's a tall order, but TN has played well at neural sites this year. TN being so dominant at home this year (22-1 so far), if TN gets to host a super regional, I'd say TN is almost a lock for OKC.

If TN stays at #13, where do they go if they make it out of a regional - FSU or Alabama or somewhere else?

VN Store

Back