If only she had a clue!

mlindsay

Watching last nights game against Vandy frustrated me a lot more than any other game we have played this season. I told myself while watching the game I am just going to watch the entire game without criticism and will watch it again when the game was over to find what the problem is. We all know Holly is the problem but last night showed that she just doesn't understand the players and what they can do for her and this team. It to me seems as though "she" (Holly) wants to be the star and the one who is talked about as the Savior of the program and get the same recognition that Pat got instead of allowing the players to play and she would be looked at as a great coach (even though she is not). The talent is clearly there. Last night I watched Diamond (although still pouting) play within the game (like Holly has asked her) and the same things happen, we seem to give it to her with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock and want her to make something happen, or when she is open she doesn't get the pass whether it is back door or wide open on the 3 pt line players just don't seem to understand where the ball should be. Diamond's Bball IQ is through the roof and when she wants to play (and clearly certain games motivate her more than others) she is damn near unstoppable unless Holly stops her and that seems to be the case. Teams aren't scared of us because Holly doesn't make adjustments. She has no clue of what to do. A player could be on fire and she subs them out (an keeps them out for a long stretch) certain players have more leeway than others (Reynolds & Russell seem to be able to make as many mistakes as they want before being called to the bench). We get leads only to give them back. When we need a shooter in the game, she puts in a team of players who wont take the shot, when we need a rebound she puts in a bunch of players who wont rebound. It's like everything we need to do and we know as fans should be done, she does the opposite. We seem to blame Diamond a lot but it isn't her. If Holly just let the ladies play we would turn this thing around. There should never be a time when either Diamond or Cooper is not on the floor. (unless they are in foul trouble) They are the only two unafraid to take shots. (Dunbar isn't either but because of her defensive liability which I don't think can be any worst than Jordan Reynolds or Russell's consistently refusing to contest shots, she never seems to get in the game) Is there anybody that Holly would listen to that would show her that she doesn't know it all and that she needs to let the ladies play. If we can get out in transition and score and not be forced to slow it down and wait for the post player, I have no doubt we could score in the 80's and be the team no one wants to face come tournament time. Holly stubborness though may cause us a first round exit.

Reactions: 6 people
This team will not go to the FF with Holly as head coach. We all know this. The people who want her to stay don't care about winning titles anymore. The people who want her fired, do.

The team is not progressing. The same problems remain. The players play inconsistent. The coach can't make in-game adjustments, settle on a lineup or play an offensive style that caters to our players natural style of play.

At this point, we need a new coach. Think about it, we keep noticing the same problems, the commentators keep noticing the same problems, and nothing is improving.

We have gone from a team expected to win national titles, to hoping to make the FF, to hoping to make the S16, to hoping to stay ranked in the Top 25, to hoping to make the tournament.

Reactions: 9 people
This team will not go to the FF with Holly as head coach. We all know this. The people who want her to stay don't care about winning titles anymore. The people who want her fired, do.

The team is not progressing. The same problems remain. The players play inconsistent. The coach can't make in-game adjustments, settle on a lineup or play an offensive style that caters to our players natural style of play.

At this point, we need a new coach. Think about it, we keep noticing the same problems, the commentators keep noticing the same problems, and nothing is improving.

We have gone from a team expected to win national titles, to hoping to make the FF, to hoping to make the S16, to hoping to stay ranked in the Top 25, to hoping to make the tournament.

I agree with you, I think if Holly just sit the hell down/get out the way like she did for the second half of one of those games we could possibly see what the team is capable of. I know (like everyone else) Holly isn't the answer. I also know (like everyone else) the talent is there. They just aren't playing up to their talent levels (whether being allowed to, or being coached to)

Reactions: 1 person
Watching last nights game against Vandy frustrated me a lot more than any other game we have played this season. I told myself while watching the game I am just going to watch the entire game without criticism and will watch it again when the game was over to find what the problem is. We all know Holly is the problem but last night showed that she just doesn't understand the players and what they can do for her and this team. It to me seems as though "she" (Holly) wants to be the star and the one who is talked about as the Savior of the program and get the same recognition that Pat got instead of allowing the players to play and she would be looked at as a great coach (even though she is not). The talent is clearly there. Last night I watched Diamond (although still pouting) play within the game (like Holly has asked her) and the same things happen, we seem to give it to her with a couple of seconds left on the shot clock and want her to make something happen, or when she is open she doesn't get the pass whether it is back door or wide open on the 3 pt line players just don't seem to understand where the ball should be. Diamond's Bball IQ is through the roof and when she wants to play (and clearly certain games motivate her more than others) she is damn near unstoppable unless Holly stops her and that seems to be the case. Teams aren't scared of us because Holly doesn't make adjustments. She has no clue of what to do. A player could be on fire and she subs them out (an keeps them out for a long stretch) certain players have more leeway than others (Reynolds & Russell seem to be able to make as many mistakes as they want before being called to the bench). We get leads only to give them back. When we need a shooter in the game, she puts in a team of players who wont take the shot, when we need a rebound she puts in a bunch of players who wont rebound. It's like everything we need to do and we know as fans should be done, she does the opposite. We seem to blame Diamond a lot but it isn't her. If Holly just let the ladies play we would turn this thing around. There should never be a time when either Diamond or Cooper is not on the floor. (unless they are in foul trouble) They are the only two unafraid to take shots. (Dunbar isn't either but because of her defensive liability which I don't think can be any worst than Jordan Reynolds or Russell's consistently refusing to contest shots, she never seems to get in the game) Is there anybody that Holly would listen to that would show her that she doesn't know it all and that she needs to let the ladies play. If we can get out in transition and score and not be forced to slow it down and wait for the post player, I have no doubt we could score in the 80's and be the team no one wants to face come tournament time. Holly stubborness though may cause us a first round exit.
Before you exit you have to get there; why should we even get an invite?

The trouble with Diamond is she isn't much of a team player when she's on the floor. Very little cohesiveness. We'd usually do better when she was out of the game. Athletic and talented for sure but she's all about me, me, me. That first starting five: Cooper, Nared, Reynolds, Russell or Graves and Carter are our best five to have in there. Middleton has been doing well when she subs in. Diamond does OK when she's not trying to be all. Dunbar doesn't turn the ball over. The only problem with Nared is she wants to be a guard. She rebounds the ball and dribbles it down the court. Get it to a guard!

Reactions: 2 people
The trouble with Diamond is she isn't much of a team player when she's on the floor. Very little cohesiveness. We'd usually do better when she was out of the game. Athletic and talented for sure but she's all about me, me, me. That first starting five: Cooper, Nared, Reynolds, Russell or Graves and Carter are our best five to have in there. Middleton has been doing well when she subs in. Diamond does OK when she's not trying to be all. Dunbar doesn't turn the ball over. The only problem with Nared is she wants to be a guard. She rebounds the ball and dribbles it down the court. Get it to a guard!

Jaime is a guard and can handle the ball reasonably well. If she gets the rebound and push it down the court quickly, no reason for her to stop and look for one of the other guards to hand off to. Same thing for Diamond. Even Candace Parker did that while she was at Tennessee.

Your five above still has the dreaded non-scoring Carter/Reynolds combo, and Cooper who is a "Diamond-in-the-rough" version of the original.

Cooper/Reynolds/Carter (whoever is playing best), Deshields, Nared, Graves and Russell is the lineup that this team will live/die by.

Reactions: 3 people
PG play is a huge issue with this team. We have no true pg. Carter dribbles looking down, never shoots and has no court vision.

Reynolds will shoot but misses a lot; however, she turns the ball over less than other guards.

No true pg is killing the team. We have to coach up Cooper or Middleton to play that position bc Reynolds and Carter are NOT the answer. We have the worst pg play in the league.

One thing I noticed last night several times was the propensity of some of the players to rebound, take the ball down the court, pull up,and shoot, with no teammates around for rebounding. That might work fine when you are by yourself, but when you are diving into the defense, it results in either a missed shot and/or charging foul.

You do not mind if I disagree with you do you ? I have believed and continue to believe that it is the rotation of players in and out of the lineup that has been the huge problem not only with Deshields but the whole team as the OP has eloquently pointed out.Chemistry is the major problem with this team and with the rotation of players that has been impossible to develop.Play Deshields 30 minutes per game with a starting lineup of Russell,Nared,Cooper,DeShields,and Carterand play them together for 30 minutes per game and see what happens.

Reactions: 5 people
carter jackson middleton moore and graves can have 10 minutes. or until they score 6 points... lol

Russel is not a post player. She is a finesse player and gets pushed away from the basket very easy or is even running around setting screens outside the 3 point lane. Some one needs to talk to her. This team as a whole is soft. No killer instinct. Narred showed last night she may be the next star if she continues. Diamond if turned loose could be the the player that takes over a game if given the ok to. There is a problem with coaching these girls.

Reactions: 4 people

Diamond won't pass to certain players and neither will Cooper. Diamond can't shoot outside 12 to 15 feet. She is at best a slasher. Her so called high basketball IQ is graded on a curved scale apparently. Cooper shoots from her side like the little girls do when they first start basketball. It's almost a set shot from 3 pt. range which is very easy to defend. Cooper can get to the goal but she usually runs over someone or hits it high off the backboard. Middleton couldn't play point. EVER! She is too slow and flat footed. She is a jogger. She is best at snow birding (her specialty in high school). Unfortunately, snow birding doesn't work in college ball. She is a Div II or NAIA player at best....I think Diamond and Cooper thought they were above everybody else when they arrived last year. That quickly came to an end after the first few games. We will probably never really know about Dunbar. She will never get a chance to play and I would transfer next year if I were her........

Reactions: 3 people
I'm probably going to sound like I'm defending a couple people, but I'm not trying. I'll do my best to stick with the facts. I want our Tennessee program to be an elite program.

Nobody can teach team chemistry. With Parker's 3 seasons she played, Tennessee had the best talent on the floor at all times those three years, and we only won two championships. (Really her Freshman year that she sat out, our roster still was the most talented and we lost in Indy in the final four)

Baby Vols, I thought their Jr/Sr years they had elite level talent (even though we were without a true, mature good pg) that should of been a #1 seed, but didn't play to their potential. The Parker years, the team had to get together and really understand what they did best at. They had to learn their roles and accept THEIR TEAMMATES roles. That's hard to grasp.

Do you guys remember in the beginning of the year that Holly's philosophy this year would be up-tempo, defense, rebounding, and stated, "As a coach, I look at us offensively, and I think we're a really good offensive team. I think our main [focus] needs to be on defense." Lady Vols Media Day - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site Unfortunately, right now, our team doesn't have any identity. It's not working out. I see our struggles as chemistry, and not playing to our strengths. Which is frustrating, because we have the talent to be a final four, hands down.

Diamond showed last night that she is not on the same page as the team. When she gets the ball, she goes 100% to attack mode. I remember twice, she got a rebound, drove to the other end of the floor through 5 defenders, one time she scored on a lay-up, the other time she drove to the baseline, got stuck and passed it out to the top of the key. The problem is the players around her are not playing that same style. I actually like Diamond's style. Diamond's style is very UNC, and it fits her well. Tennessee (coaching) has never done that style. It's defense, rebounding with them. So what does the team do??? Do we force a player that we all know is a tremendous athlete and can score at will to stop pushing, pass the ball around and dribble around until you can pass it to the post? Do we take a player that isn't a natural jump shooter, and make her run baseline to baseline to catch and shoot only?

I think we have very similar issue's now, and with Parker's years. The difference being, Parker was on the block and the team passed to her, where as Diamond is on the perimeter and she has to create. I think the same idea is there though, because Parker got frustrated when they weren't passing to her and team chemistry did suffer, and the team wasn't on the same page as Parker. The team had to trust her, and she had to trust her team.

What was done about it? The players got together and came together. They learned they are a better team when they worked together than not. It didn't take CPS to make the players come together, CPS kept to what she has always done. Looking back, CPS knew her players WELL. She was invested and I love reading the stories about her one on one interactions with her players. It's no wonder where the players got the motivation to play well.

Parker returns from bench, helps Tennessee bounce DePaul - USATODAY.com
That lasting memory: 2008 Final Four proved to be Summitt’s last | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
They're Playing Basketball: Candace Parker on Pat Summitt
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25juice.html?

1. Our players need an identity, offensively and defensively
2. Our players need motivation
3. Our players need to understand each other, trust each other (chemistry)

It's easy to over think, maybe I'm doing it myself.

I'm probably going to sound like I'm defending a couple people, but I'm not trying. I'll do my best to stick with the facts. I want our Tennessee program to be an elite program.

Nobody can teach team chemistry. With Parker's 3 seasons she played, Tennessee had the best talent on the floor at all times those three years, and we only won two championships. (Really her Freshman year that she sat out, our roster still was the most talented and we lost in Indy in the final four)

Baby Vols, I thought their Jr/Sr years they had elite level talent (even though we were without a true, mature good pg) that should of been a #1 seed, but didn't play to their potential. The Parker years, the team had to get together and really understand what they did best at. They had to learn their roles and accept THEIR TEAMMATES roles. That's hard to grasp.

Do you guys remember in the beginning of the year that Holly's philosophy this year would be up-tempo, defense, rebounding, and stated, "As a coach, I look at us offensively, and I think we're a really good offensive team. I think our main [focus] needs to be on defense." Lady Vols Media Day - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site Unfortunately, right now, our team doesn't have any identity. It's not working out. I see our struggles as chemistry, and not playing to our strengths. Which is frustrating, because we have the talent to be a final four, hands down.

Diamond showed last night that she is not on the same page as the team. When she gets the ball, she goes 100% to attack mode. I remember twice, she got a rebound, drove to the other end of the floor through 5 defenders, one time she scored on a lay-up, the other time she drove to the baseline, got stuck and passed it out to the top of the key. The problem is the players around her are not playing that same style. I actually like Diamond's style. Diamond's style is very UNC, and it fits her well. Tennessee (coaching) has never done that style. It's defense, rebounding with them. So what does the team do??? Do we force a player that we all know is a tremendous athlete and can score at will to stop pushing, pass the ball around and dribble around until you can pass it to the post? Do we take a player that isn't a natural jump shooter, and make her run baseline to baseline to catch and shoot only?

I think we have very similar issue's now, and with Parker's years. The difference being, Parker was on the block and the team passed to her, where as Diamond is on the perimeter and she has to create. I think the same idea is there though, because Parker got frustrated when they weren't passing to her and team chemistry did suffer, and the team wasn't on the same page as Parker. The team had to trust her, and she had to trust her team.

What was done about it? The players got together and came together. They learned they are a better team when they worked together than not. It didn't take CPS to make the players come together, CPS kept to what she has always done. Looking back, CPS knew her players WELL. She was invested and I love reading the stories about her one on one interactions with her players. It's no wonder where the players got the motivation to play well.

Parker returns from bench, helps Tennessee bounce DePaul - USATODAY.com
That lasting memory: 2008 Final Four proved to be Summitt’s last | TBO.com and The Tampa Tribune
They're Playing Basketball: Candace Parker on Pat Summitt
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/25/sports/ncaabasketball/25juice.html?

1. Our players need an identity, offensively and defensively
2. Our players need motivation
3. Our players need to understand each other, trust each other (chemistry)

It's easy to over think, maybe I'm doing it myself.

Well said! I think the team wants to get out and run, I think Holly prefers the opposite which is destroying this team! But I agree we have the pieces and if everybody were told/knew their roles and played them, the sky would be the limit!

Nobody is more critical of Warlick than me--hell, I was the FIRST to start complaining about her--but I'm not sure what the OP means when s/he says that Holly should just "let them play." What does that mean? Does Geno just let his girls play? No, they run a system--a system that has been drilled into them so effectively that it looks seamless but it isn't.

First, we should always be trying to play uptempo, because we have players in Cooper, Carter, DD, Nared, Reynolds who are better running the court than in a slower half-court mode. UT's half-court offense is terrible and has been terrible for forever. We stand around too much, there is too much dribbling and not enough player movement, screening and crisp passing, a lot of our passes are bad. We have spells when we play well offensively--and then long spells when we look like a high school team and blow leads and fall apart mentally.

As much as I want a new coach, I will not blame Warlick for every player's poor play all the time. DeShields this year has missed a TON of wide-open jump shots. In fact, with her quickness, she can get a pretty good jump shot just about any time she wants one--but she does not make many of them. That's a problem. Why, I don't know--maybe she rushes the shot, is not squared up, whatever: She misses a LOT of open jumpers that have to be made--period. She has thrown a lot of bad passes this year--they are on her. And she is pouty: I do not see much mental toughness in her, at all.

More generally, the players have been all over the map with respect to their individual performance. Look at Nared: She's been somewhere between mediocre and bad or inconsequential for most of the year and then last night we see how much athleticism and talent she has. Cooper was terrible early in the year against zone defenses, missed everything. She's been shooting a little better--but if she struggles against a zone Warlick is not going to keep her on the floor, and she shouldn't. Reynolds? The same: Was a no show early in the year (wasn't starting), then has played very well the last two/three weeks. You don't know what to expect from anybody on a given night--that may be why we've seen some many player combinations. Nobody should stay in a game if they are having a terrible night shooting the basketball.

Chemistry is a big problem, no doubt about it. PG play has been a problem. Poor shooting, poor coaching, poor half-court offense: We've got problems. It would help if the coaches could settle on a rotation and stick with it--but we don't even know who are best PG is because they are all erratic. Everybody is erratic--coaches, players, everybody. We've got to start learning to play smarter and tougher when we get a lead, that's for sure--seemed to do that last night. Most of the games we've lost this year we were leading by a comfortable margin at some point.

Nobody is more critical of Warlick than me--hell, I was the FIRST to start complaining about her--but I'm not sure what the OP means when s/he says that Holly should just "let them play." What does that mean? Does Geno just let his girls play? No, they run a system--a system that has been drilled into them so effectively that it looks seamless but it isn't.

First, we should always be trying to play uptempo, because we have players in Cooper, Carter, DD, Nared, Reynolds who are better running the court than in a slower half-court mode. UT's half-court offense is terrible and has been terrible for forever. We stand around too much, there is too much dribbling and not enough player movement, screening and crisp passing, a lot of our passes are bad. We have spells when we play well offensively--and then long spells when we look like a high school team and blow leads and fall apart mentally.

As much as I want a new coach, I will not blame Warlick for every player's poor play all the time. DeShields this year has missed a TON of wide-open jump shots. In fact, with her quickness, she can get a pretty good jump shot just about any time she wants one--but she does not make many of them. That's a problem. Why, I don't know--maybe she rushes the shot, is not squared up, whatever: She misses a LOT of open jumpers that have to be made--period. She has thrown a lot of bad passes this year--they are on her. And she is pouty: I do not see much mental toughness in her, at all.

More generally, the players have been all over the map with respect to their individual performance. Look at Nared: She's been somewhere between mediocre and bad or inconsequential for most of the year and then last night we see how much athleticism and talent she has. Cooper was terrible early in the year against zone defenses, missed everything. She's been shooting a little better--but if she struggles against a zone Warlick is not going to keep her on the floor, and she shouldn't. Reynolds? The same: Was a no show early in the year (wasn't starting), then has played very well the last two/three weeks. You don't know what to expect from anybody on a given night--that may be why we've seen some many player combinations. Nobody should stay in a game if they are having a terrible night shooting the basketball.

Chemistry is a big problem, no doubt about it. PG play has been a problem. Poor shooting, poor coaching, poor half-court offense: We've got problems. It would help if the coaches could settle on a rotation and stick with it--but we don't even know who are best PG is because they are all erratic. Everybody is erratic--coaches, players, everybody. We've got to start learning to play smarter and tougher when we get a lead, that's for sure--seemed to do that last night. Most of the games we've lost this year we were leading by a comfortable margin at some point.

Which boils down to coaching! Geno players know their system (and he lets them play within his system) what system/style of play have Holly created that has shown success? In the beginning we had to get it in the post at all cost? Now it's we have to be aggressive and attack. Us losing leads is on the part of coach, he poor substitution choices and things of that nature hurts the team. Geno's player know their role and they do what their role requires them to do, none of them do what their roles isn't asking of them to do. Everyone also knows Stewie is the star and the play as such. Reynolds still doesn't know her role, neither does Carter, neither does Diamond and the list goes on and one. You have 2 to 3 players in your starting lineup who rarely look to score (Graves, Reynolds, and Carter) and you can't have that. Tuck finds her spots and goes to work, so does Jefferson, and so does Stewie and their teammates don't just stand around watching them work. They get in position to help out. Diamond isn't given the chance to go to work because she is being micromanged by Holly to do xy&z, nor is cooper, nor is Russell, or Nared (all who aren't afraid to score). I'm starting to truly think that Holly wants to be the star of this team and it is hurting us. Dunbar lights it up and doesn't play any more. Diamond makes a great play and the look on Holly face is like wtf is she doing, I could go on and on. Until we have a "system/identity" which all the great teams have right now, we will continue to free fall

I like the win, Still need alot of improvement but we Finally won a rebounding battle and low turnovers. I think with the type of players we have they thrive with an more free flowing game. And holly was not saying O just go out there and just dribble and play. It's more running four out on in. screen , cut , pass, shoot same for five out. We need to be sharper against SC. but if we can take away there high post entry and post touches we will be fine.

I think this assessment is pretty much spot on. We can say hypothetically that with a new coach, the team would likely be performing better. But, under current circumstances, they could have easily had more success. What was the real difference between the meltdown at Texas A&M and what, by the score looks like a blow-out win at Vandy. In both, the LVs got a big, then hit a scoring drought were the opponent cut deep into the lead. I believe in the 4th quarter Vandy got to within 6. Unlike the Texas A&M game when no one stepped up to stem the tide, Nared hit two big shots and Carter got a steal and lay-up; Boom like that 6 points was 12 and the game was effectively out of reach.

Against Texas A&M, had Diamond or Tea or anyone hit a couple shots during the A&M run, they too could have put the game out of reach.

I think this assessment is pretty much spot on. We can say hypothetically that with a new coach, the team would likely be performing better. But, under current circumstances, they could have easily had more success. What was the real difference between the meltdown at Texas A&M and what, by the score looks like a blow-out win at Vandy. In both, the LVs got a big, then hit a scoring drought were the opponent cut deep into the lead. I believe in the 4th quarter Vandy got to within 6. Unlike the Texas A&M game when no one stepped up to stem the tide, Nared hit two big shots and Carter got a steal and lay-up; Boom like that 6 points was 12 and the game was effectively out of reach.

Against Texas A&M, had Diamond or Tea or anyone hit a couple shots during the A&M run, they too could have put the game out of reach.
It would've been really ardor Diamond or Tea to hit a shot during aTm run because they were on the bench. Come on people I for one am proud to have Diamond as a member of our team.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back