Righting the ship

meekfan

A casual read of some of the threads here would make one think that (pick one)
a) being ranked in the top 25
b) making the NCAA tournament
c) losing to long time foes for the 1st time in years
d) losing in our own house
is the biggest problem the LV's face. I would suggest another area to focus on.

How about we right the ship? All of the above are effects of something else. Whether that something else is coaching or players is up for debate. But let's face it its one or the other. If the current team really is as good as they are presented to be (please, no one take a real look at the box scores) then it must be coaching.

If you really do believe that Holly is the root cause then you have a responsibility so say something. Write to the newspapers, write the AD write to someone that can help. Just staying here & *****ing accomplishes nothing.

I personally feel that Holly does not know how to motivate players and is weak on X's & O's. This latest loss was an abomination.

Reactions: 6 people
A casual read of some of the threads here would make one think that (pick one)
a) being ranked in the top 25
b) making the NCAA tournament
c) losing to long time foes for the 1st time in years
d) losing in our own house
is the biggest problem the LV's face. I would suggest another area to focus on.

How about we right the ship? All of the above are effects of something else. Whether that something else is coaching or players is up for debate. But let's face it its one or the other. If the current team really is as good as they are presented to be (please, no one take a real look at the box scores) then it must be coaching.

If you really do believe that Holly is the root cause then you have a responsibility so say something. Write to the newspapers, write the AD write to someone that can help. Just staying here & *****ing accomplishes nothing.

I personally feel that Holly does not know how to motivate players and is weak on X's & O's. This latest loss was an abomination.

I totally agree! How bout you start a petition on Change.org and let's get the ball rolling!:)

Reactions: 1 person
The evidence is pointing more and more to Holly and the coaching staff to the point that we can not eliminate her as a suspect.

Here is what we know. This team was picked to be a final four team by the media and was picked to finish 3rd in the nation behind UConn and SC. Looks like this team will lose more games than any other Lady Vol basketball team in history. So the media thought we had as much talent as anyone except UConn and SC. Seems this coaching staff has not been able to get the talent to play at a winning level.

Two in yesterday's game when A&M started pressing we had Moore, Russell, and Nared all in the game instead of Cooper and Diamond. Then when we needed to get a stop and a rebound we had Russell, Moore, and Nared on the bench. So it is a certainty that this staff does not know how to substitute properly for game situations.

Three this staff has taken a player that was freshman of the year at North Carolina scoring 700 points and shooting 45 percent from the field and turned her into a two star player that has lost her entire game and confidence. Cooper looked to be getting better, but evidently Holly and the staff coached her before the A&M game and she was back in freshman mode.

Four recruiting is non-existent and with the possibility of losing three to four players next season we could be in for rougher days than now.

I wish the AD would say thank you Holly but we need to look elsewhere for a coach for the team. We need someone that has the skill to gameplan and motivate players. Someone that will set moody players straight and someone who knows who to put on the floor when the situation calls for it to happen.

I think what we got is a coach that loves the Lady Vols but is way over her head. The one thing she has going for her right now is an AD that is going to stick by her no matter what happens.

Reactions: 7 people
The evidence is pointing more and more to Holly and the coaching staff to the point that we can not eliminate her as a suspect.

Here is what we know. This team was picked to be a final four team by the media and was picked to finish 3rd in the nation behind UConn and SC. Looks like this team will lose more games than any other Lady Vol basketball team in history. So the media thought we had as much talent as anyone except UConn and SC. Seems this coaching staff has not been able to get the talent to play at a winning level.

Two in yesterday's game when A&M started pressing we had Moore, Russell, and Nared all in the game instead of Cooper and Diamond. Then when we needed to get a stop and a rebound we had Russell, Moore, and Nared on the bench. So it is a certainty that this staff does not know how to substitute properly for game situations.

Three this staff has taken a player that was freshman of the year at North Carolina scoring 700 points and shooting 45 percent from the field and turned her into a two star player that has lost her entire game and confidence. Cooper looked to be getting better, but evidently Holly and the staff coached her before the A&M game and she was back in freshman mode.

Four recruiting is non-existent and with the possibility of losing three to four players next season we could be in for rougher days than now.

I wish the AD would say thank you Holly but we need to look elsewhere for a coach for the team. We need someone that has the skill to gameplan and motivate players. Someone that will set moody players straight and someone who knows who to put on the floor when the situation calls for it to happen.

I think what we got is a coach that loves the Lady Vols but is way over her head. The one thing she has going for her right now is an AD that is going to stick by her no matter what happens.

I agree but for some "Head Coaches", they have assistant coaches but they don't listen to their input and based on what I have seen of Holly and her unwillingness to admit it is partly her fault leads me to believe that she just isn't listening. Look at the forward coach Elzy coached at Kentucky and look the forwards she has here. She clearly got more out of Denisha Stallworth and Samarie Walker than she has gotten out of Nared, Dunbar, and Diamond, in Kentucky she was allowed to assist I don't think she is being allowed to do that here. The same for coach Law who was allowed to help coach Stringer and her guards Cappie Pondexter, Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon, Brittany Ray, Kadisha Rusdan (all who have played or are still in the WNBA or Overseas)! Look at how the assistant coaches just sit on the bench, look at how they (Dean, Jolette, Kyra) huddle up while Holly is talking to the players. I find it hard to believe that 3 assistant coaches (2 of which have had success recruiting and coaching at other programs) would come here and have Zero success and the players of position that they have assisted coach haven't been the same since they (Coach Law and Elzy) left. Holly is the problem!

Reactions: 5 people

This is one of the best post for presenting the facts. She is completely over her head. I think just a bad, is the way she handles the press conference . She NEVER has an answer, she simply rubs her hands together, and oh yes scratches her head repeatedly with no answer to the question. When asked about falling of the rankings, and loosing another place in history, her reply was simply "Dan that is the least of my worries". It's a sad day in Lady Vols Basketball, when she clearly only thinks of herself. I honestly think she considers herself a good coach, and puts all the blame on the girls. Middleton in the game at a crucial time (Never any defense and seldom any offense is a huge mistake. It is obvious she isn't going to step down for the good of the program, so how do we take the next step?.

I agree but for some "Head Coaches", they have assistant coaches but they don't listen to their input and based on what I have seen of Holly and her unwillingness to admit it is partly her fault leads me to believe that she just isn't listening. Look at the forward coach Elzy coached at Kentucky and look the forwards she has here. She clearly got more out of Denisha Stallworth and Samarie Walker than she has gotten out of Nared, Dunbar, and Diamond, in Kentucky she was allowed to assist I don't think she is being allowed to do that here. The same for coach Law who was allowed to help coach Stringer and her guards Cappie Pondexter, Essence Carson, Matee Ajavon, Brittany Ray, Kadisha Rusdan (all who have played or are still in the WNBA or Overseas)! Look at how the assistant coaches just sit on the bench, look at how they (Dean, Jolette, Kyra) huddle up while Holly is talking to the players. I find it hard to believe that 3 assistant coaches (2 of which have had success recruiting and coaching at other programs) would come here and have Zero success and the players of position that they have assisted coach haven't been the same since they (Coach Law and Elzy) left. Holly is the problem!

I can totally agree with you that this could be all Holly. We might replace her and find the Assistant's are great coaches we want ever know as a new head coach when almost certainly bring in their own Assistants. I know that when DeMoss was here she didn't see eye to eye with Holly and when Holly got the job she was quick to leave without even saying goodbye.
It is sad to think were looking at as many as 13 losses this season something that a Lady Vol team has never done.

if they were great coaches, they'd coach up the team in spite of Holly's dumbness. They are as bad as she is, if not worse. Especially Dean Lock(head)wood.

This is one of the best post for presenting the facts. She is completely over her head. I think just a bad, is the way she handles the press conference . She NEVER has an answer, she simply rubs her hands together, and oh yes scratches her head repeatedly with no answer to the question. When asked about falling of the rankings, and loosing another place in history, her reply was simply "Dan that is the least of my worries". It's a sad day in Lady Vols Basketball, when she clearly only thinks of herself. I honestly think she considers herself a good coach, and puts all the blame on the girls. Middleton in the game at a crucial time (Never any defense and seldom any offense is a huge mistake. It is obvious she isn't going to step down for the good of the program, so how do we take the next step?.

That should be the least of her worries. More important is fixing how awful the team is playing. When she fixes that, the ranking will fix itself.

Reactions: 4 people
I'm afraid that those who are "rolling with Holly" need to put down their doobies and allow their heads to clear.

That said, aside from venting, registering the same complaints isn't going to achieve anything this season, so might as well suck it up and just wait for the season to play out. As of today they have to win out in the SEC to get to 20 wins reg. season.

Let's support the players who are trying hard, not add to their woes (this has to be not only frustrating for them but just totally disheartening), and then assess post-season. We can at least try to keep our comments as classy as possible (and think twice before hitting 'submit reply').

Do like Peyton and drink a lot of Bud (safely at home on the couch or recliner). :popcorn:

I can totally agree with you that this could be all Holly. We might replace her and find the Assistant's are great coaches we want ever know as a new head coach when almost certainly bring in their own Assistants. I know that when DeMoss was here she didn't see eye to eye with Holly and when Holly got the job she was quick to leave without even saying goodbye.
It is sad to think were looking at as many as 13 losses this season something that a Lady Vol team has never done.

Go on....

Mickie actually announced she was going to the Fever more than 2 weeks before it was announced that Holly was CPS's successor.

That should be the least of her worries. More important is fixing how awful the team is playing. When she fixes that, the ranking will fix itself.

Well the problem is she can't fix either one. A loss to Vanderbilt, and then a loss to USC in our next two games, and by the way, I will be surprised if tonight's game with UConn will even be close. I don't seem to see very many positive remarks even from the most loyal Holly supporters these days.

the only way for Holly to save her job imho is to beat USC next week if USC would happen to beat U cons tonight. Not very likely on either count. :(

believe it will be closer because sc is better this year and the games a sellout in columbia maybe 80 uconn 69 usce

Well the problem is she can't fix either one. A loss to Vanderbilt, and then a loss to USC in our next two games, and by the way, I will be surprised if tonight's game with UConn will even be close. I don't seem to see very many positive remarks even from the most loyal Holly supporters these days.

My point is that she was correct to say that the rankings are the least of her concerns. That's not an indication that she's selfish or out of touch. She's absolutely correct. There are many more important things to worry about than their ranking: team chemistry, inability to shoot, poor mental toughness, bad decision making...you name it.

It's become popular to find fault with everything Holly has done, and she has by all accounts this year been a second/third string coach, but criticizing her for this statement is just picking on her.

Reactions: 2 people
My point is that she was correct to say that the rankings are the least of her concerns. That's not an indication that she's selfish or out of touch. She's absolutely correct. There are many more important things to worry about than their ranking: team chemistry, inability to shoot, poor mental toughness, bad decision making...you name it.

It's become popular to find fault with everything Holly has done, and she has by all accounts this year been a second/third string coach, but criticizing her for this statement is just picking on her.

Agreed. Anybody that worries about the outcome first will be worrying for the rest of their lives. You worry about the process you directly control - in this case the product she puts on the floor. The rankings are the last thing she or any coach needs to be thinking about.

VN Store

Back