Did Pat Summitt Celebrate Her 100 Win?

hokievol12

I'm beginning to believe that the bar has been lowered for future lady vol teams. I'm in the corner of critics in favor of a coaching change in Knoxville...but all signs point to an entrenched coaching staff going nowhere soon, supported by an administration that is ok with mediocrity long term. Look for future schedules "water downed" with weaker sisters of the poor on the schedule, less hype about winning conference championships or, heaven forbid, national championships. Attendance will definitely suffer, big time recruits will go elsewhere, and there will probably be another almost "staged" celebration for win number 200 in a few years to honor a coach who prefers being "liked" rather than respected by players comfortable competing for a spot in the middle of the pack among SEC programs. Maybe Thompson-Boling Arena can eventually be turned into a museum, honoring the memory of a once proud, truly celebrated program whose coach demanded excellence and achieved REAL milestones, like national championships and everlasting respect. Last night was truly special for all the homers and Dave Hart who could care less about lady vol tradition.

Reactions: 5 people
Just an observation, but ... uhhh ... that seems to be a pretty big corner you're in.

Nevertheless, you're most likely right @ no coaching change this year. Yes, the current coach is not trending anything upward from the "dip" that Pat left her. This season really looks horrible.

Buuut #1, this season isn't over and swapping anything right now will not produce + results for this season anyway. Who knows, a turnaround could be in the works at this very moment. With the talent amassed, it is certainly not "out of the question" that an "early season slump" is what's happening. This team goes on a run through the SEC and then deep into the NCAA (read FF, & maybe EE) and the new coach talk will die. It's a reach, but it is possible.

#2 Hart buried himself in an exten$ion and buyout. Outside being used in - recruiting, I can't see a reason for that. In the coaching market, I don't see CHW as any sort of commodity at the top level. Nevertheless, it'll cost a fortune right now.

#3 Fanbase (insiders too?) would be fractured because Hart (& handler$) moved to quickly (= disrespect) on Pat's hand picked successor / friend.

... if this loaded group lays an egg in 16-17' after the expected mediocrity of the rest of this year, then I personally think the AD will get a green light to act.

Personally, I think the AD should stand pat this year regardless. But start the process right now of vetting (intense "list" keeping) the absolute very best prospects out there. Let next year or most of it play out. If it's coaching it will show yet again. Then make the absolutely most solid home run hire possible to return the program to the place that CPS established it.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm beginning to believe that the bar has been lowered for future lady vol teams. I'm in the corner of critics in favor of a coaching change in Knoxville...but all signs point to an entrenched coaching staff going nowhere soon, supported by an administration that is ok with mediocrity long term. Look for future schedules "water downed" with weaker sisters of the poor on the schedule, less hype about winning conference championships or, heaven forbid, national championships. Attendance will definitely suffer, big time recruits will go elsewhere, and there will probably be another almost "staged" celebration for win number 200 in a few years to honor a coach who prefers being "liked" rather than respected by players comfortable competing for a spot in the middle of the pack among SEC programs. Maybe Thompson-Boling Arena can eventually be turned into a museum, honoring the memory of a once proud, truly celebrated program whose coach demanded excellence and achieved REAL milestones, like national championships and everlasting respect. Last night was truly special for all the homers and Dave Hart who could care less about lady vol tradition.

Why be jealous of a celebration for wins. Silly.

Why be jealous of a celebration for wins. Silly.

I, too, wonder at the hand wringing over this celebration. 100 wins in 4 years is good. Besides, how many countless posts have there been complaining about the poor body language, bad attitudes, sour expressions, etc...? And then the team smiles and immediately the complaints begin. Go figure.

Reactions: 11 people
I, too, wonder at the hand wringing over this celebration. 100 wins in 4 years is good. Besides, how many countless posts have there been complaining about the poor body language, bad attitudes, sour expressions, etc...? And then the team smiles and immediately the complaints begin. Go figure.

Outside of Holly being drawn and quartered, there is a segment of posters who will complain about anything the team does. A win over Arkansas, pffft weak team; 100 win milestone, pfffft, Pat had over 1000! If the LVs win a NC (I know a long, long shot), there would be complaints about the celebration cause you know CPS won three in a row-- the program is in clear decline if we are happy about just one!

I almost guarantee CPS celebrated her 100th win.

I'm not a huge fan of Holly's, but it's a milestone worth celebrating...and to her credit, she did it in fewer # of years than many other coaches.

a 100 wins in 4 years is pretty damn good,she is the 6th one to do so since 1992,so not a lot have achieved it,especially with her teams having so many injuries every year,7 players have missed 46 games so far this year,which is a lot

and why shouldn't CHW and the team celebrate her 100th win ? is there something wrong with that ?

Reactions: 4 people
1978 was a Different day. Girls basketball, when Pat won 100th, was a lot less on the radar...maybe an article in KNS?
1970s[edit]

Just before the 1974–75 season, with women's college basketball still in its infancy and not yet an NCAA-sanctioned sport, 22-year-old Summitt became a graduate assistant at the University of Tennessee, and was named head coach of the Lady Vols after the previous coach suddenly quit. Summitt earned $250 monthly and washed the players' uniforms - uniforms purchased the previous year with proceeds from a donut sale. Summitt recalled that era of women's basketball during a February 2009 interview with Time Magazine. "I had to drive the van when I first started coaching," Summitt said. "One time, for a road game, we actually slept in the other team's gym the night before. We had mats, we had our little sleeping bags. When I was a player at the University of Tennessee–Martin, we played at Tennessee Tech for three straight games, and we didn't wash our uniforms. We only had one set. We played because we loved the game. We didn't think anything about it."

During Summitt's first year as head coach, four of her players were only a year younger than she was and all were from Tennessee high schools, which until 1980 [10] employed a six-person game where offensive and defensive players never crossed mid-court. She coached her first game for Tennessee on December 7, 1974 against Mercer University in Macon, Georgia; the Lady Vols lost 84–83.[11] Her first win came almost a month later when the Lady Vols defeated Middle Tennessee State, 69–32 on January 10, 1975.[11] The Lady Vols won the Tennessee College Women's Sports Federation (TCWSF) Eastern District Championship for the third straight year. However, the team finished 4th overall in the TCWSF (they had been second the previous two years), and were not invited to the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) tournament.

In her second season, Summitt coached the Lady Vols to a 16–11 record while earning her 1976 master's degree in physical education and training as the co-captain of the 1976 U.S. Women's Olympic basketball team that won a silver medal in Montreal. Starting with the 1976–77 season, Summitt directed two 20-win teams, winning back-to-back AIAW Region II championships. The Lady Vols defeated 3-time AIAW champion Delta State by 20 points in 1978, and earned Tennessee its first number one ranking.[12] 1978 saw the Lady Vols participate in their first AIAW Final Four, where they finished third. Summitt also recorded her 100th win during this season[/U][/B],[/B] a 79–66 victory over NC State.[13] Tennessee closed the 1970s by winning the first-ever SEC tournament, and returning to the AIAW Final Four, where they finished runner-up to Old Dominion, 68–53.[11]

Reactions: 6 people
Geno had 67 wins and 46 losses in his first four seasons. Hopefully she will get to the level he is at in the next ten years.

Geno had 67 wins and 46 losses in his first four seasons. Hopefully she will get to the level he is at in the next ten years.

Did Geno spend 23 years at and around the program prior to taking over ? Did he serve and learn under a legend? Holly is, and will never be like Geno. Geno would have had us in the final 4 the last 3 years with at least 2 titles.

Reactions: 1 person
Did Geno spend 23 years at and around the program prior to taking over ? Did he serve and learn under a legend? Holly is, and will never be like Geno. Geno would have had us in the final 4 the last 3 years with at least 2 titles.

Lies! Unless he had Stewart, Jefferson, and Kaleena here with him, I doubt he wins at least two titles. Give him the exact same roster and the key injuries she had, he wouldnt do any better than Holly did.

Again, if Holly was a man coaching a storied men's basketball team, she would be on the hot seat. Gale G. went from Duke to Texas desided she could not turn around the Texas program so she resigned. Holly is going to stay a 5th year, no matter what, and the way it looks she will be able to stay as long as she wants to. If she truly loves the Lady Vols, and the team continues to go South, after five years, (She will get one more year) she should resign and not be selfish and take the program so low, it will take forever to bring it back.

The Coach at Texas took less talent than what Holly was given and in four years turned the Texas program on the upperward trend. Holly has had four years, with a bunch of five stars, just how many years should she be given? If she cannot show improvement in coaching and recruiting, in five years, this will be as best as it is going to get. She needs to be pushed out the door, because Holly is in serious terminal denial of her coaching and recruiting abilities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, if Summitt was proud to speak of the days when she drove the team van and laundered the team's uniforms, you can bet she was proud enough of winning her first 100 games as head coach to have celebrated it....

No, he was a draft dodger in Italy.:hi:

Reactions: 2 people
Give him the exact same roster and the key injuries she had, he wouldnt do any better than Holly did.[/QUOTE]

Can't believe what you are saying!!!! I admire your spirit.... but even though the guy is hated.... i give him that he is a great motivator, tactician, and game x's and o's coach...... can't dispute that

I wish Holly had done better.... Key injuries? Yes, but still she has way more HS All Americans than almost any other team we play.... and what is her biggest win in 5 years as HC.... Kentucky?

Thank god Holly supporters got to enjoy that 100 win celebration against inferior competition. Don't know how they can support her after this.

Of course they can support her..... after 30 something years sitting next to the best.... and 1 year de facto head coach.... and now 3 more years as head coach.... and what to show for the resume? Dave Hart a big rubber stamp last week..... Good job Holly.... Maybe even another Elite 8 this year.... Nice going

Lies! Unless he had Stewart, Jefferson, and Kaleena here with him, I doubt he wins at least two titles. Give him the exact same roster and the key injuries she had, he wouldnt do any better than Holly did.

Geno would have gotten them to the FF the first two years. Those were both mental losses. The loss to MD IMO was more forgivable because MD was the better team and Tennessee had no answer for Jones. No titles, though...not with that UConn monster there.

But he wouldn't have allowed them to play down to their opponent as they often do. If he had them this year, no way they lose to VT, FL, Ark, tAMu, Miss St, UK and maybe Texas.

Geno would have gotten them to the FF the first two years. Those were both mental losses. The loss to MD IMO was more forgivable because MD was the better team and Tennessee had no answer for Jones. No titles, though...not with that UConn monster there.

But he wouldn't have allowed them to play down to their opponent as they often do. If he had them this year, no way they lose to VT, FL, Ark, tAMu, Miss St, UK and maybe Texas.

If he has this team this year we wouldn't have a loss. Diamond is playing the way Diamond is playing because Holly is allowing her too. Research the stories of what Geno did to Tina Charles, Stefanie Dolson, Breanna Stewart, and a lot of his key players. He benched them when he felt they weren't playing up to the level they were capable of. Look how it has turned out for them. It is no way Russell shouldn't be dominating, you think Geno wouldn't love to have his hand on a talent like Russell? a player like Graves? He knows how to put the pieces together and get whats best of them and if you can't take it you can go elsewhere he doesn't care if you are a Top 100 recruit (Delle Don, Walker, De'Janae Boykins, etc.) if you can't live up to the standards that he's set for his program you will sit or leave. Holly would never bench Russell (when she should have to send a message to her)

VN Store

Back