Hart and the Lady Vols issue

tnprogrammer

So what is the deal with Hart and the "Lady Vols" issue? I saw where Hart kind of got the smack-down on the issue the other day and he was pouting about it and even made some threats about quitting over the issue? Can someone elaborate on this for me? Is Hart that much on-board about removing the "Lady" from Lady Vols?
Thanks.

I think Hart and Cheek were the ones wanting Lady removed. I guess it got resolved with the Lady Vol patch thing and teams decide if they want to keep it or remove it next year. TOS is reporting that Cheek is gone after about another five months and that Hart's fit has eroded his support.
I would like to see them both gone a Gator and a Bamer. We could get Blackburn back to be the AD he is doing a great job at Chattanooga. I don't know who would replace Cheek but I'm sure whomever would be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Good riddance to both. Perhaps there are openings in the Orwell-themed Office of Diversity they can fall back on.

Reactions: 2 people
So what is the deal with Hart and the "Lady Vols" issue? I saw where Hart kind of got the smack-down on the issue the other day and he was pouting about it and even made some threats about quitting over the issue? Can someone elaborate on this for me? Is Hart that much on-board about removing the "Lady" from Lady Vols?
Thanks.

Women's athletics teams evolved and dropped the "Lady" or "-ette" qualifiers years ago. In the current Top 25 for basketball you have the Lady Bears of Baylor and Tennessee. It was as good a time as any with the change to Nike for the UT administration to drop the hackneyed Lady and unite the men's and women's athletics under the Power T (with the exception of the women's bb team, in respect to Summitt).

Not sure about a "smack-down" - Hart and UT held off the blue-wearing Lady Vol supporters and the grandstanding TN legislature with a master stroke imo with "The Patch". (and it's just a 1-year patch, at that...a slick move)

Women's athletics teams evolved and dropped the "Lady" or "-ette" qualifiers years ago. In the current Top 25 for basketball you have the Lady Bears of Baylor and Tennessee. It was as good a time as any with the change to Nike for the UT administration to drop the hackneyed Lady and unite the men's and women's athletics under the Power T (with the exception of the women's bb team, in respect to Summitt).

Not sure about a "smack-down" - Hart and UT held off the blue-wearing Lady Vol supporters and the grandstanding TN legislature with a master stroke imo with "The Patch". (and it's just a 1-year patch, at that...a slick move)

You failed to mention that the girls on every team have the option to wear it every year from now and forever if they so desire. It is an option they should have been given from the beginning and now whatever they decide is good enough for me and will have to be ok with Hart as well.

Reactions: 6 people
I think Hart and Cheek were the ones wanting Lady removed. I guess it got resolved with the Lady Vol patch thing and teams decide if they want to keep it or remove it next year. TOS is reporting that Cheek is gone after about another five months and that Hart's fit has eroded his support.
I would like to see them both gone a Gator and a Bamer. We could get Blackburn back to be the AD he is doing a great job at Chattanooga. I don't know who would replace Cheek but I'm sure whomever would be an upgrade.

Hart hired Butch Jones and that's where his fortunes lie. Cheek is an academic charged with making UT a top 25 research university. The Lady Vol controversy poses no threat to either, just sayin'.

You failed to mention that the girls on every team have the option to wear it every year from now and forever if they so desire. It is an option they should have been given from the beginning and now whatever they decide is good enough for me and will have to be ok with Hart as well.

You're happy, then. The Patch is working.

Thanks.

Hart was run off from Florida State pulling power plays like this trying to make a university "his" kingdom. The Lady Vol issue was his, Cheek, and Nike's baby. He's like a spoiled brat and when he doesn't get his way he says he'll take his toys and go home. I wished him and Cheek would get the hell out of Tennessee and let's get some Tennessee people in power. If the legislature hadn't stepped in, along with the will of the people, this clown would not have stopped with the "Lady Vol" scam. He's a disease and needs to go, along with his sidekick Cheek.

GO VOLS AND GET RID OF HART AND CHEEK!

Hart hired Butch Jones and that's where his fortunes lie. Cheek is an academic charged with making UT a top 25 research university. The Lady Vol controversy poses no threat to either, just sayin'.

The idea of One TN is the issue. However I don't get how taking the lady off women sports makes for not being part of one TN.

Your reality theory is more closely akin to fantasy island. Think what you want. The truth is Hart and Cheek had no idea that the reaction to their re-branding move would meet so much resistance. They can spin it all they want, this was their decision and not Nike.

The patch is not a "slick move". It is a way to reverse course, and save face. Basically, they tucked tail and back tracked. Their plan to eliminate the Lady Vols brand failed. If you think those who were behind the effort to restore it will just fade back and let it go in a year, you are sadly mistaken. Sit back and watch.

And jerks like you can make arrogant and snide comments about them all you want. There are plenty of other fans who stand behind them. Once the Lady Vols stuff is back on the shelves, I think I will go drop a few bucks on it. Just cause I know you won't like it will be a good enough reason for me.

Reactions: 8 people
The patch is not a "slick move". It is a way to reverse course, and save face. Basically, they tucked tail and back tracked. Their plan to eliminate the Lady Vols brand failed. If you think those who were behind the effort to restore it will just fade back and let it go in a year, you are sadly mistaken. Sit back and watch.

And jerks like you can make arrogant and snide comments about them all you want. There are plenty of other fans who stand behind them. Once the Lady Vols stuff is back on the shelves, I think I will go drop a few bucks on it. Just cause I know you won't like it will be a good enough reason for me.

The bigger issue was not the Lady Vol brand, rather it was the overreach of the general assembly into university matters. UT merely did what was necessary to get the legislature out of the UTAD. The Patch gave political cover to the lawmakers, who claim they won a concession for their LV constituents. Some of LV faithful aren't impressed...but hey, YOU"RE happy. Buy all the patch jersies you want...guess you'll be cutting out the Power Ts though. heh

The bigger issue was not the Lady Vol brand, rather it was the overreach of the general assembly into university matters. UT merely did what was necessary to get the legislature out of the UTAD. The Patch gave political cover to the lawmakers, who claim they won a concession for their LV constituents. Some of LV faithful aren't impressed...but hey, YOU"RE happy. Buy all the patch jersies you want...guess you'll be cutting out the Power Ts though. heh

Bud, there is one thing you really need to realize. Since UT is a public entity, and not a private one, it is one of the functions of lawmakers to act when this kind of nonsense happens. Just because you don't like the action does not make it improper.

So, hey, you are unhappy because you can't bash the brand. It's here to stay. It won't stop you from whining, but it won't stop me from celebrating. And No, I will still have the Power T stuff, but i will have some Lady Vols gear too. My arms are big enough to embrace both, because they are both rightful parts of Tennessee sports history. And I won't be buying that gear at a licensed outlet in a mall. I am getting it the day it goes on sale in the store on campus. It will happen. What I don't get is why you found that Power T remark even remotely clever. In reality, you are reminding me of the BBB crowd. And in case you did not get it, yes, that was meant to be an insult. A huge one.

Number one reason I support it was years ago when broadcasters called Vanderbilt's women's team the Lady Commodores. Their coach threw a fit and got indignant about it. So when Hart and Cheek pulled this, I felt we were trying to be like Vanderbilt. You and I may disagree about many aspects of this issue, but surely you would not want to follow Vanderbilt's lead on anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Was the attempted erasure of the Lady Vols brand a result of UT women athletes who were offended by the "Lady" part? I seriously doubt it.

Please don't try to pretend that this was a result of some enlightened individual attempting to lead UT women's athletics into the 21st century.

If women who played for UT and were called Lady Vols want the name to continue, then I'm going to listen to them. Not to some marketing-driven suit guy.

And if and when current and future UT women athletes want to be called Vols and not Lady Vols, then fine, that is their decision. Not yours, not mine, and most certainly not Dave Hart's and Nike's and whomever else is in this cluster-f***.

GBO and Go Lady Vols, equally.

Bud, there is one thing you really need to realize. Since UT is a public entity, and not a private one, it is one of the functions of lawmakers to act when this kind of nonsense happens. Just because you don't like the action does not make it improper.

So, hey, you are unhappy because you can't bash the brand. It's here to stay. It won't stop you from whining, but it won't stop me from celebrating. And No, I will still have the Power T stuff, but i will have some Lady Vols gear too. My arms are big enough to embrace both, because they are both rightful parts of Tennessee sports history. And I won't be buying that gear at a licensed outlet in a mall. I am getting it the day it goes on sale in the store on campus. It will happen. What I don't get is why you found that Power T remark even remotely clever. In reality, you are reminding me of the BBB crowd. And in case you did not get it, yes, that was meant to be an insult. A huge one.

Number one reason I support it was years ago when broadcasters called Vanderbilt's women's team the Lady Commodores. Their coach threw a fit and got indignant about it. So when Hart and Cheek pulled this, I felt we were trying to be like Vanderbilt. You and I may disagree about many aspects of this issue, but surely you would not want to follow Vanderbilt's lead on anything.

Sounds like you are the WHINER!

he won't quit over the Lady Vol's debacle him and Cheek started,that was never going to happen,I'm surprised they got a patch through,that is giving in by the lawmakers,shows how good they are at,at getting simple stuff done :)

and Hart is no master mind on hiring,he backed into to CBJ when nobody else that was high on his list would accept his offer and it was a stroke of luck that Texas and Barnes had decided to part ways when they did

The Weeklys are still here,but that was before his time and CPS was a major shock to us all,but she told him who to hire and I do back Pat in all things :hi:

so Bama Dave picking a good coach, doesn't seem to be a strong point of his

Reactions: 1 person
Hart and Cheek just got their heads handed to them by the legislature. 55 of the 99 state representatives have signed on to force the change.

Now Lieutenant Govenor Ramsey is backing a proposal to freeze tuition at UTK and all state funded institutions. Look for change at the top at UTK. Hopefully this time we pick leaders that are not just academic dictators, but have Tennessee values and realize that they were entrusted with their positions by the people of Tennessee.

This was simply Hart and Cheek getting revenge for the very public way some of the now former Lady Vols AD staffers reacted to being merged into the men's AD and losing their jobs. It made economic sense to merge the departments, but the ham-handed way they forced the changes caused the uproar.

Title IX requires equal opportunity for women's athletes. This was the reason that Tennessee formed a separate AD for women's sports and it was very successful, building a brand that is known around the country for excellence in women's sports. Eliminating that brand on a whim, without regards to the history behind it, was a mistake. I believe that the University of Tennessee, the UT Athletics Department and Tennessee Women's sports teams have been irreparably damaged because we have outsiders, not 'Tennessee' people running the University and the Athletic Department.

Now Lieutenant Govenor Ramsey is backing a proposal to freeze tuition at UTK and all state funded institutions. Look for change at the top at UTK. Hopefully this time we pick leaders that are not just academic dictators, but have Tennessee values and realize that they were entrusted with their positions by the people of Tennessee.

Not sure what tuition matters have to do with the topic at hand. Besides, Ramsey is a commie. Before you know it he'll be demanding free tuition, like his comrade Bernie Sanders.

This was simply Hart and Cheek getting revenge for the very public way some of the now former Lady Vols AD staffers reacted to being merged into the men's AD and losing their jobs. It made economic sense to merge the departments, but the ham-handed way they forced the changes caused the uproar.

There are almost no separate athletic departments anymore because of the economic good sense of which you speak. Other places similarly saw lost jobs.

Title IX requires equal opportunity for women's athletes. This was the reason that Tennessee formed a separate AD for women's sports and it was very successful, building a brand that is known around the country for excellence in women's sports. Eliminating that brand on a whim, without regards to the history behind it, was a mistake. I believe that the University of Tennessee, the UT Athletics Department and Tennessee Women's sports teams have been irreparably damaged because we have outsiders, not 'Tennessee' people running the University and the Athletic Department.

The UT BoT voted to merge the men's and women's athletic departments, and they signed off on the Power T/Nike deal that shelved the LV logo. There are no "outsiders" on the BoT.

You won by pointing out that Hart's hire of Holly Warlick has killed the LV roundball program. Why not quit while you're ahead?

it hasn't killed nothing,other than bring the lets fire them yesterday crowd to the Lady Vols Forum and I did say Lady Vols Forum :)

I actually look at CHW as CPS hire and I've been fine with it so far,the plays have been there

it hasn't killed nothing,other than bring the lets fire them yesterday crowd to the Lady Vols Forum and I did say Lady Vols Forum :)

I'm not against using the name Lady Vols- I'm old and it's what I'm used to. I just don't begrudge UT and the students moving on without it.

I actually look at CHW as CPS hire and I've been fine with it so far,the plays have been there

Holly appreciates your support but she's not looking for a long term relationship.

well who did actually support the move reality ? the hired employees ?they had to approve it or be fired,the Lady Vols department did get the big ax and i'm sure those that are left are still concerned about there jobs

and was the student body asked which they preferred ? I would guess that would be a no,since Cheek and Hart have been doing what they can to cover there asses ,of course that is just my view on it :) plus I'm sure Nike had there say too

VN Store

Back