Lady Vol Players Report Card

Volfan2012

Through 21 games record is 13 and 8 been up and way down. Lost to the likes of Arkansas and Virginia Tech but also had some big wins over Oregon State and Missouri on the road.
So here are my grades for each individual player up to this point.

Bashaara Graves- Has for the most part did her job on the court. She has been a tough rebounder and good scorer when she has the opportunity to shoot. She gets a B for her efforts this season. She really needs to demand the ball more and is a very good mid-range shooter and we should work to get her more looks. Matching her ability this season.

Mercedes Russell-She is a competent player who needs to be a lot more aggressive and a lot meaner on the court both with opponents and teammates. The fact that she has shot the ball less than Cooper or Diamond really shouldn't happen. It is as much her fault as anybodies for not being able to clear space for the entry pass and being to stationery in the post. She gets a C because she is shooting 56 percent from the field and has been a good rebounder all season. She should be far better than she is maybe it will come to her by next season. Playing below her ability this season.

Andraya Carter- Plays decent defense is not as good as the hype gets beat a lot to the basket. If you watch the games you'll see that she is tenacious but occasionally loses contain on her player for a layup. She is a good shooter as good as anyone on the team with a beautiful stroke refuses to put up many shots and is never looking for the three very often. She gets a C really playing below her talent this season.

Diamond Deshields- Has played great in some games and failed to show in others. I think she wants to be a team player and is making an extreme effort to fit in. I think she also has a flair for the dramatic pass and sometimes it turns out to be a bad turnover. Some of the passes are part of Holly's get it to the post at all cost system and others are either just bad passes or thrown to teammates that can't catch. I would like to see her refuse to throw that pass into the crowded post and also make the decision not to try the full court pass and stick to a more simple passing game. She needs to drive the ball and take the pull up ten footers she has the elevation to get them off and although her shooting has been hot and cold this is a shot she can make consistently. Forget the three pointer or get in the gym and work on it until she is efficient in making it 35 percent of the time. I give her a C- mainly on her play early in the season. Right now I think she has Holly on the brain and it is effecting her play.

Tea Cooper- Started out trying to be a bull in a china shop and got a lot of charging calls. She also has a knack for getting in a jam under the basket then trying a stupid pass for a turnover. The last three games she has been great but she was worse than Diamond is now in the early games so she gets a C- as well hopefully that grade is on the way up the rest of the season.

Jordan Reynolds- Played a couple decent games in a row but still not where she was last season has regressed. She really can't guard anybody gets beat more than any guard we have for layups. Her best shot is to get in the lane for about the ten footer. She rebounded a lot better last season seems to want to avoid contact under the basket this season. She gave up at least two offensive rebounds to her woman Sunday for not boxing her off the boards. I give her a D if not for the last two games it would have been an F.

Kortney Dunbar- I think she plays defense as well as Reynolds and is a lot better shooter. I think she is just as quick as Reynolds but can't handle the ball as well. We haven't really used her effectively this season. I think when she has been in there she has been a good player for us. I give her a C plus would have been a B but her shot selection at times has not been good shooting to far out needs to get closer to the line where I think she could shoot 40 percent with adequate playing time.

Nia Moore D nothing to see here she is still a skinny person who can give us a few minutes a game.

Jasmine Jones- Was playing fair before her injury don't think we'll see her anymore this season C.

Alexa Middleton- She has Hollyitis just like Diamond always comes into the game throwing that ugly post pass into traffic. She did it twice in yesterdays game and averages doing it about two times a game. She drives to deep sometimes and makes an ugly turnover. She is a good shooter who doesn't take many attempts to really get a rhythm. I thought she was going to be about a 35 percent three point shooter but she came down with Hollyitis and don't expect she will ever get over it. What could have been. C for Middleton.

Jaime Nared- Best game I have seen her play in a Tennessee uniform was yesterday. She was tenacious on the boards and made some circus shots as well as a long three. She seems to be a player that plays great a game or two and then disappears for a few games. I think she plays better in the post than on the perimeter. C for Nared.

Meme Jackson- C for very limited playing time. I think she is going to be a good player can't get any time on the court right now.

Holly Warlick- I think she likes to micro-manage the team and I bet if the truth was known a lot of the players have no clue what exactly to do on the floor. I think the only thing in their brains is get the ball inside and that is why we have ten unforced turnovers every game. Don't quick shoot the basketball is probably why we have to take a desperation shot with five seconds left on the clock a lot of possessions. I would certainly say team has no clue how to pass the ball to overload a zone. Passes have to be a lot quicker to get the overload and the open shot.
Big F for Holly team has 8 McDonald's All Americans should have been a lot better than they are 21 games in still making the same mistakes they made in game one. Quit the forced entry pass and let the players play would probably help the team not look like Robots on the floor. Try to set up players that can make shots or if a player gets a hot hand keep feeding her the ball. Rotation is horrible sometimes I wonder what Holly is thinking. Three starters on the floor at all times no need for Middleton, Moore, Jackson, Cooper, and Nared to ever be the five out there together.

Dean- Until Mercedes starts playing like the Big she could be give him a C. Graves is undersized but does a good job. He has done a decent job with Moore she was only a three star player. Recruiting F.

Jollette- I guess we have to give her credit for Cooper and Reynolds starting to play better. We don't know how much of it was them working on their own or with her. Diamond has regressed and needs help hopefully she has the knowledge and ability to get her back on her game. C for Law. Recruiting F.

Kyra- She is our main recruiter and struck out in 2016 so right now she gets an F for recruiting. I think she probably needs to take a bigger role with the problem players but she may have Hollyitis as well.

Reactions: 1 person
That is a lot of work you put in there! I will do the Cliff Notes version now for those who can't get through a well researched and thought out observation...

WTF is going on here? I can't even watch. <TV goes out of the window>

Through 21 games record is 13 and 8 been up and way down. Lost to the likes of Arkansas and Virginia Tech but also had some big wins over Oregon State and Missouri on the road.
So here are my grades for each individual player up to this point.

Bashaara Graves- Has for the most part did her job on the court. She has been a tough rebounder and good scorer when she has the opportunity to shoot. She gets a B for her efforts this season. She really needs to demand the ball more and is a very good mid-range shooter and we should work to get her more looks. Matching her ability this season.

Mercedes Russell-She is a competent player who needs to be a lot more aggressive and a lot meaner on the court both with opponents and teammates. The fact that she has shot the ball less than Cooper or Diamond really shouldn't happen. It is as much her fault as anybodies for not being able to clear space for the entry pass and being to stationery in the post. She gets a C because she is shooting 56 percent from the field and has been a good rebounder all season. She should be far better than she is maybe it will come to her by next season. Playing below her ability this season.

Andraya Carter- Plays decent defense is not as good as the hype gets beat a lot to the basket. If you watch the games you'll see that she is tenacious but occasionally loses contain on her player for a layup. She is a good shooter as good as anyone on the team with a beautiful stroke refuses to put up many shots and is never looking for the three very often. She gets a C really playing below her talent this season.

Diamond Deshields- Has played great in some games and failed to show in others. I think she wants to be a team player and is making an extreme effort to fit in. I think she also has a flair for the dramatic pass and sometimes it turns out to be a bad turnover. Some of the passes are part of Holly's get it to the post at all cost system and others are either just bad passes or thrown to teammates that can't catch. I would like to see her refuse to throw that pass into the crowded post and also make the decision not to try the full court pass and stick to a more simple passing game. She needs to drive the ball and take the pull up ten footers she has the elevation to get them off and although her shooting has been hot and cold this is a shot she can make consistently. Forget the three pointer or get in the gym and work on it until she is efficient in making it 35 percent of the time. I give her a C- mainly on her play early in the season. Right now I think she has Holly on the brain and it is effecting her play.

Tea Cooper- Started out trying to be a bull in a china shop and got a lot of charging calls. She also has a knack for getting in a jam under the basket then trying a stupid pass for a turnover. The last three games she has been great but she was worse than Diamond is now in the early games so she gets a C- as well hopefully that grade is on the way up the rest of the season.

Jordan Reynolds- Played a couple decent games in a row but still not where she was last season has regressed. She really can't guard anybody gets beat more than any guard we have for layups. Her best shot is to get in the lane for about the ten footer. She rebounded a lot better last season seems to want to avoid contact under the basket this season. She gave up at least two offensive rebounds to her woman Sunday for not boxing her off the boards. I give her a D if not for the last two games it would have been an F.

Kortney Dunbar- I think she plays defense as well as Reynolds and is a lot better shooter. I think she is just as quick as Reynolds but can't handle the ball as well. We haven't really used her effectively this season. I think when she has been in there she has been a good player for us. I give her a C plus would have been a B but her shot selection at times has not been good shooting to far out needs to get closer to the line where I think she could shoot 40 percent with adequate playing time.

Nia Moore D nothing to see here she is still a skinny person who can give us a few minutes a game.

Jasmine Jones- Was playing fair before her injury don't think we'll see her anymore this season C.

Alexa Middleton- She has Hollyitis just like Diamond always comes into the game throwing that ugly post pass into traffic. She did it twice in yesterdays game and averages doing it about two times a game. She drives to deep sometimes and makes an ugly turnover. She is a good shooter who doesn't take many attempts to really get a rhythm. I thought she was going to be about a 35 percent three point shooter but she came down with Hollyitis and don't expect she will ever get over it. What could have been. C for Middleton.

Jaime Nared- Best game I have seen her play in a Tennessee uniform was yesterday. She was tenacious on the boards and made some circus shots as well as a long three. She seems to be a player that plays great a game or two and then disappears for a few games. I think she plays better in the post than on the perimeter. C for Nared.

Meme Jackson- C for very limited playing time. I think she is going to be a good player can't get any time on the court right now.

Holly Warlick- I think she likes to micro-manage the team and I bet if the truth was known a lot of the players have no clue what exactly to do on the floor. I think the only thing in their brains is get the ball inside and that is why we have ten unforced turnovers every game. Don't quick shoot the basketball is probably why we have to take a desperation shot with five seconds left on the clock a lot of possessions. I would certainly say team has no clue how to pass the ball to overload a zone. Passes have to be a lot quicker to get the overload and the open shot.
Big F for Holly team has 8 McDonald's All Americans should have been a lot better than they are 21 games in still making the same mistakes they made in game one. Quit the forced entry pass and let the players play would probably help the team not look like Robots on the floor. Try to set up players that can make shots or if a player gets a hot hand keep feeding her the ball. Rotation is horrible sometimes I wonder what Holly is thinking. Three starters on the floor at all times no need for Middleton, Moore, Jackson, Cooper, and Nared to ever be the five out there together.

Dean- Until Mercedes starts playing like the Big she could be give him a C. Graves is undersized but does a good job. He has done a decent job with Moore she was only a three star player. Recruiting F.

Jollette- I guess we have to give her credit for Cooper and Reynolds starting to play better. We don't know how much of it was them working on their own or with her. Diamond has regressed and needs help hopefully she has the knowledge and ability to get her back on her game. C for Law. Recruiting F.

Kyra- She is our main recruiter and struck out in 2016 so right now she gets an F for recruiting. I think she probably needs to take a bigger role with the problem players but she may have Hollyitis as well.

I will disagree with you on Bashaara Graves she get a below average grade why, Because when when we need her to step up against the top teams she to me is a non factor. How many times did she get her shot stuffed in a close game ?. To Graves is a small 3 trying to play the 4 and it has not worked in 4 years. As for giving Carter a C, i disagree with that to. Carter is a very talented player but is stuck in Holly flawed system. And that`s everything go thur Diamond Deshields and we all have seen how bad that has been so far. Carter needs to shoot more.

Reactions: 1 person
I will disagree with you on Bashaara Graves she get a below average grade why, Because when when we need her to step up against the top teams she to me is a non factor. How many times did she get her shot stuffed in a close game ?. To Graves is a small 3 trying to play the 4 and it has not worked in 4 years. As for giving Carter a C, i disagree with that to. Carter is a very talented player but is stuck in Holly flawed system. And that`s everything go thur Diamond Deshields and we all have seen how bad that has been so far. Carter needs to shoot more.

I agree with you that Graves is an undersized forward but she has average 10.3 ppg while taking only six shots per game which gives her 1.88 point per shot attempt. She has also shot 59 percent from the floor and averaged 8.5 rebounds per game. So considering the way they use her in the offense these are very good numbers the best on the team.

Carter is playing below her talent level has every season since she has been here. They should run some plays for her get her some good looks from the three but we don't do that with Holly.

All the players seem to take to coaching seems that the coaching they are getting may be the major problem.

Your analysis of the players is fairly astute. I would give Graves a C. The problem with Graves is that she has no real offensive game. Yes, she can get rebound and score 11 points off of three put-backs, 3 free-throws and 1 jumper--but she has not really developed. She's a senior and still essentially the same limited offensive player, and slow decision-maker, that she's always been. She has no back-to-the-basket game, and a limited front to the basket game--the occasional drive past somebody and the very occasional outside jumper. She is one of many players, I find, who, when you see them as freshman, you think: 'Wow, she's going to be good'--and she never really gets to 'good.' She is sometimes good--as she was last year against notre dame and maybe once every 10 games we get a performance from her that is genuinely good, but most of the time she's just dependably hard-working.

Carter, sad to say, is much the same. I like her--she too is dependable, mature, works hard, getting a bit more confidence with her jumper--but, like Graves, you can't call her a "difference maker." I've always hated that clunky term, but it's apt. Carter gives a honest performance, is seldom bad--but we need her to be good more often.

We don't have ANYBODY who is consistently good. We should have two/three players who are /good/ every game, but we don't: we have none. We have two/three players who are consistently meh--OK.

Nared hasn't even been meh. She is athletic but needs an offensive identity. Another player who could be better than she is showing. I don't doubt some of this derives from our often crappy offense, which seems to drag down everybody. And of course nobody typifies our underachievement more than DD--who has more offensive game than any player we have but has been our worst player for about the last half dozen games, at least. The only silver lining to this team's woeful play is that the Vols have upside. We could be, should be, a lot better than we are. Maybe the coaches and players will yet get it together, but having seen the Vols underperform for a lot of years now--different players, same sloppy, undisciplined basketball that comes from mediocre coaching--but I'm not counting on it.

That is a lot of work you put in there! I will do the Cliff Notes version now for those who can't get through a well researched and thought out observation...

WTF is going on here? I can't even watch. <TV goes out of the window>

Much easier to understand

VN Store

Back