Lady Vols Survive Via Patch

VolnJC

Female Teams at UT to Wear Lady Vols Patch | Rocky Top Insider

A recent push from Tennessee lawmakers has led to a compromise with Tennessee’s administration and the use of the “Lady Vols” nickname.

The “Lady Vols” moniker was removed from all female athletics teams in July of 2015, with the exception of the basketball team, in a move that coincided with Nike becoming the official apparel provider of the University of Tennessee. Those teams were all brought under the singular Power T logo with the standard “Volunteers” nickname

Tennessee announced on Monday afternoon that all female teams will wear a Lady Vols patch on their uniforms in 2016-17. Female student-athletes will then have the option as to whether or not they want to wear the patch in subsequent seasons.

Reactions: 2 people
A recent push from Tennessee lawmakers has led to a compromise with Tennessee’s administration and the use of the “Lady Vols” nickname.

The “Lady Vols” moniker was removed from all female athletics teams in July of 2015, with the exception of the basketball team, in a move that coincided with Nike becoming the official apparel provider of the University of Tennessee. Those teams were all brought under the singular Power T logo with the standard “Volunteers” nickname

Tennessee announced on Monday afternoon that all female teams will wear a Lady Vols patch on their uniforms in 2016-17. Female student-athletes will then have the option as to whether or not they want to wear the patch in subsequent seasons.
Female Teams at UT to Wear Lady Vols Patch | Rocky Top Insider

Reactions: 3 people
Seems that the Lady Vols lives on and I am all for them having a choice after this season. Not having a choice was the big problem.

Reactions: 4 people
Will the women's basketball team be allowed to also wear the patch?

I have my pen all ready

Reactions: 1 person
Why didn't they just give them a box of Orange Blue and White condoms? Makes about as much sense.

I believe this is a victory for those who support the Lady Vols branding, and the patch is just a way for the administration to save face while the re-branding returns slowly. Though many of here have argued against restoring the Lady Vols name and logo, I think it is clear that those who support the brand may be more numerous than they realize. Bravo.

I gotta ask those who are for the Lady Vols brand going away: What is it to you? I bet you don't give a damn about women's sports anyway. For me, my opinion is based on the feelings of all those alumni female athletes who played under that logo. When I learned they are really that offended by what they see as the heritage they built being taken away, I got behind them. It matters to them. And for those who can't respect that, I hope one day something that matters to you is disrespected or taken away. And when you try to get others to support your cause, don't cry like I know you will when they turn their backs on you.

Reactions: 7 people
The girls already have them for sale on e-bay. Preorder

Joke, I'm guessing?

I believe this is a victory for those who support the Lady Vols branding, and the patch is just a way for the administration to save face while the re-branding returns slowly. Though many of here have argued against restoring the Lady Vols name and logo, I think it is clear that those who support the brand may be more numerous than they realize. Bravo.

I gotta ask those who are for the Lady Vols brand going away: What is it to you? I bet you don't give a damn about women's sports anyway. For me, my opinion is based on the feelings of all those alumni female athletes who played under that logo. When I learned they are really that offended by what they see as the heritage they built being taken away, I got behind them. It matters to them. And for those who can't respect that, I hope one day something that matters to you is disrespected or taken away. And when you try to get others to support your cause, don't cry like I know you will when they turn their backs on you.

I've been a LV fan for over 40 years. The patch might be a lead in to the return of the full logo on uniforms and everything else. If it is, great. The sooner the better. The Lady Vols tradition is deeper than an outsider or occasional fan could ever know.

Reactions: 11 people
Joke, I'm guessing?

I've been a LV fan for over 40 years. The patch might be a lead in to the return of the full logo on uniforms and everything else. If it is, great. The sooner the better. The Lady Vols tradition is deeper than an outsider or occasional fan could ever know.

Yeah....just a joke.

Should the patch have a swoosh?

Joke, I'm guessing?

too bad our current lady vol bb team coaches have done more to dishonor the lady vol name than the legislators can correct. oh throw in our volley ball program and track team too. swimming Also.

too bad our current lady vol bb team coaches have done more to dishonor the lady vol name than the legislators can correct. oh throw in our volley ball program and track team too. swimming Also.

What you stated has nothing to do with the Lady Vol's retaining the LV logo.

Reactions: 6 people

In addition to the patch business, the athletes and their coaches are now un-muzzled. If they want the name and logo back on their jerseys, now they can say so themselves.

Either athletes elect to not wear the patch and the Lady Vols name dies out, or they wear the patch and self-identify as Lady Vols, and things get back to normal - it's not over yet!

In addition to the patch business, the athletes and their coaches are now un-muzzled. If they want the name and logo back on their jerseys, now they can say so themselves.

Either athletes elect to not wear the patch and the Lady Vols name dies out, or they wear the patch and self-identify as Lady Vols, and things get back to normal - it's not over yet!

Yes. The decision must be in the hands of everyone affected within the Lady Vols.

Now at least the Lady Vol basketball team will have that logo on their uniform. Small victories I guess. And, I will be happy with whatever the Lady Vols decide in the future. This has always been about them.

I for one could care less, patch or no patch. To me this issue is much like I'm this kind of _______ American. I still prefer to just say I'm an American with a sense of Nationalism. I just say I am a Tennessee VOL. No need for different labels. JMO.

I for one could care less, patch or no patch. To me this issue is much like I'm this kind of _______ American. I still prefer to just say I'm an American with a sense of Nationalism. I just say I am a Tennessee VOL. No need for different labels. JMO.

First you say "I could care less" which means the opposite of "couldn't care less" which is probably what you meant to say then proceed to tell us why you really "could care less."

Reactions: 1 person

You're concern for the feelings of past female athletes is noted, but they're history is in the books. Most of them were referred to as "co-eds" in their day. Early black athletes were referred to in print as "negroes." Times change; tastes change - we move on.

"Lady" and "-ette" are out of fashion (check the top 25 rankings and note how many Ladys there are - most dropped that anachronism years ago). And if you are honest you'll note that there was never any student movement or protest towards keeping the title. Students at UTK refer to themselves as Vols, period. Female graduates don't leave the UT system hoping to be a lady surgeon or lady lawyer.

It was never a matter of IF the UT administration would drop Lady, but WHEN. The process continues..

The legislators (and UT again) sold out the Lady Vols.

The TN legislature had no business taking up the matter in the first place. The same lawmakers who bash Washington over "gubmint overreach" see nothing wrong with trying to usurp the decisions of the UTK administration and BoT.

Anywho. They'll high-five over The Patch compromise yet they won't take up the matter of the lost billions in Medicaid dollars they've turned away.

VN Store

Back