DeShields once again leads the team in turnovers.

1standgoal

Today against Alabama she has SIX turnovers and shoots 1-10 from the field for 2 pts. Not very impressive.

Reactions: 3 people
On the bright spot, her decision making and shot selection was a little better. Also Kortney shot pretty good.

I'm hoping this motivates her to get her mind straight get in the gym and correct the problems. She definitely lost some game with the long layoff after the transfer from NC. We need the player that she was there and I think she will eventually get back to that type of play may not be this year.

Reactions: 4 people
What's interesting is she'll make a bad pass and then make a face like her teammate was the one who screwed up. Something about her body language and facial expressions (or lack thereof) suggests she is unhappy. Could be the injury but there is definitely a lack of cohesion.

Reactions: 5 people
Exactly she has to play the game that she can play and right now she is playing a game she has never been good at. Her game is driving and taking the mid-range shots. She needs to forget about the long passes all together and the ones into traffic. She is a scorer around the basket not a three point shooter or passer.

Not going to take any cheap shots at Diamond...something's going on there that we must not know about. Maybe it's part long layoff, part mental, part coaching. T'ea Cooper seems to be coming around...and I think diamond will also...in time.

Not going to take any cheap shots at Diamond...something's going on there that we must not know about. Maybe it's part long layoff, part mental, part coaching. T'ea Cooper seems to be coming around...and I think diamond will also...in time.

Agree.She was not the only one who made mindless,unforced turnovers today.Holly finally played an offense to beat a zone today ....that was encouraging.

Diamond DeShields is really down in the dumps; her bad play it taking a toll on her. She knows she is to be the team leader, her injuries; she just needs a good hug from someone that loves her. They need to find a way to make her happy and thing will get much better. If she gets going with the way Te'a Cooper is playing Tennessee will be a force in the tournament. They still have 8 more games for this to happen.

On the bright spot, her decision making and shot selection was a little better. Also Kortney shot pretty good.

given the lousy game she had--yet ANOTHER lousy game. She's going from bad to worse. She had 6 turnovers in 18 minutes, so her decision-making obviously wasn't very good. As for shot selection, didn't see the game--did she just missed good, open jumpers? Shot selection is important, but doesn't mean much if you are shooting 10 percent.

Reactions: 1 person
She is talented, but not confident at this time. All mental for her right now. Hope she snaps out of it and becomes a major contributor the rest of the season.

The bad shooting day does not bother me...... anyone can be off on any particular day....

The turnovers is alarming, because it is pretty consistent..... always a bunch of turnovers... against the better teams that will be a killer.

Reactions: 2 people
DeShields continues attempting shots and passes that are a "10" on the degree of difficulty scale. She's either off-balance on her shots or out of position on her pass attempts. I have no idea what is going on with her, but unless she shows signs of her game coming around, ala Cooper, I think Holly needs to sit her. A lot. She played only 18 minutes today and was completely unproductive in those 18 minutes.

Speaking of Cooper I always had the feeling it was her headstrong stubborn impatience coupled with a heavy dose of I-can-do-it-all-watch-me bad decisions that led to her poor play. She just needed to let the game come to her and take what the defense was willing to give her. This is her third or fourth straight game with good numbers. Hopefully this continues. She is by far the guard with the best instincts the LV's have.

Diamond is a big disappointment, her butt needs to rest on the bench (one of the chairs) until she gets a clue.

they players aren't the one's that decide when they should be on the bench and when they should be on the floor.

Last edited:
(Paid) Attendance: 12613

I don't know what the turnstile count was, but if the fans are going to stop coming to games, it didn't happen today.

TOTAL FG% Game: 44.3%
3-Pt. FG% Game: 38.1%
F Throw % Game: 80.0%

This is only average shooting, but it's way ahead of what the team has been shooting. If they could only keep it up. Against SC this will probably drop 10 percentage points.

Last edited:
I saw two things today I really was pleased with:

There was more catch-and-shoot than I have seen all season.

And the players were happy and having fun. Good for them.

given the lousy game she had--yet ANOTHER lousy game. She's going from bad to worse. She had 6 turnovers in 18 minutes, so her decision-making obviously wasn't very good. As for shot selection, didn't see the game--did she just missed good, open jumpers? Shot selection is important, but doesn't mean much if you are shooting 10 percent.

They were open, good looks that didn't fall. The outside shots weren't even close to going in.

The turnovers were 4 bad passes, 1 pass that was fumbled and a walk. The bad passes were truly bad passes.

TOTAL FG% 1Game: 44.3%
3-Pt. FG% Game: 38.1%
F Throw % Game: 80.0%

This is only average shooting, but it's way ahead of what the team has been shooting. If they could only keep it up. Against SC this will probably drop 10 percentage points.

These numbers were put up against the worst team in the SEC. I agree that it will be difficult to match these mediocre numbers against South Carolina, but South Carolina has yet to light the world on fire with their play this season.

While Diamond continues to lead the team in turnovers, Cooper continues to lead the team in fouls committed.

They were open, good looks that didn't fall. The outside shots weren't even close to going in.

The turnovers were 4 bad passes, 1 pass that was fumbled and a walk. The bad passes were truly bad passes.

I do not mind the bad shooting. That is going to come and go.

The business of passing to unaware teammates.....and the follow on facial expressions......bad business

DeShields needs to stop trying to make cute, highlight passes: for every one that works, three get picked off. Stop being cute. And someone hit on it above: her strength is taking the ball to the basket, or close to it--do that, and stop taking outside shots that never go on. She is very good at beating defenders off the dribble---take the rock to the rack and either make a shot or get fouled. Good players have always been taught that, when your outside shots are not falling, take to the ball to the basket, draw fouls--and contribute to the offense in that way until you get back into rhythm. DD's PT should remain modest until she get her her head straight.

Maybe today's performance will get Nared untracked, too. She'd been playing very badly herself. Arguably the two best athletes on the team, and they've been AWFUL. There is no excuse for not playing hard, getting steals and crashing the glass the old-fashioned UT way.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back