Warlick deserves more time to shape Lady Vols

Decker Moss

Wiedmer: Warlick deserves more time to shape Lady Vols | Times Free Press

Boo! I think we see the shape, and it is not good.

1) Unconvincing motivator and leader.
2) Unprepared team with a preseason ranking of #4.
3) A signing class of 0.

Another year or two and we will be rock bottom.

I guess that we even see these articles means that it is on more people's minds than just this board.

Stem the bleeding. Do it after the season. Every year we wait will just make it that much harder to get back up.

Reactions: 14 people
She's shaped a top 2 national program into a middle of the pack SEC program. Guess a few more seasons could get us to the bottom, so yes she likely needs more time.

Reactions: 11 people
An amorphous shape (sort of like Holly herself) is not the shape we want to be in, but that's the best Holly can do.

Reactions: 2 people
She (supposedly) helped "shape" this team over the last few decades as an assistant coach. So why again does she need more time to destroy it further now?

She is the Derek Dooley of women's basketball.

Reactions: 8 people

3) A signing class of 0.

I guess that we even see these articles means that it is on more people's minds than just this board.

Stem the bleeding. Do it after the season. Every year we wait will just make it that much harder to get back up.

That article did not provide any reasons for why giving Holly more time should be the case. Yes, it is tough to follow a legend but that really has not been the problem per se. Sure, there are many fans who will not embrace the replacement but, in Holly's first 3 seasons, she maintained the program level as it had been under the CPS in the last few seasons. That is, the LVs were a very good but not quite final four caliber team. And last season, I think Holly maintained under particularly trying circumstances, losing Izzy, Jasmine Jones, Russell, and realizing that Jannah Tucker was not going to become an option.

This season is the one where the wheels have come off despite have an infusion of talent with Russell and DeShields, Cooper, plus a much improved Middleton. I think the excuse that there a lots new pieces to be worked into the puzzle could have been a reasonable one if the team was showing signs gelling as the season progresses (rather than the current "one step forward, two or three steps backward" displays we have seen).

Does Holly's first 3 years buy her a grace period for this season. If the LVs make the NCAA tourney, I think it probably does given the history and financial circumstances involved. If not, it is hard to envision Holly withstanding that low of a new program low.

I suspect that there are those who actually want to see the LVs completely fall apart and miss the NCAA tournament so that Holly's fate is sealed.

I would rather see the team turn around and make a strong closing run. Holly just need to learn the lesson from the Cleveland Cavaliers, who upon a coaching change, abandoned an anal retentive half court offensive set for a a wide open, high tempo style that fit their players. I doubt the Cavs will win the NBA championship but they are a whole lot more fun to watch and are playing at a much higher level of quality than under Blatt (i.e. same exact team plugged into a more conducive system).

So, Holly save your job and the program by going up tempo, loosen the reigns on your race horses (and forget about the 1960's Boston Celtics), and look for a sharp offensive minded coordinator in the off-season, and sign some talent.

If you can't do that, please resign.

3) A signing class of 0.

Word!!!!!Anuobe suggesting more time must be living under a rock somewhere. More time with zero recruit coming in. Really.

She (supposedly) helped "shape" this team over the last few decades as an assistant coach. So why again does she need more time to destroy it further now?

She is the Derek Dooley of women's basketball.

Once again smart and well said. No more time. If we loose at A&M even tonight she got to go. Is anyone confident of a win today?

Reactions: 1 person
All the McDonald's All Americans and she needs MORE time.........GTFOH....she simply cant coach, she doesn't know how to put the players in the best position to succeed and the plays they run are horrible.........

Prime example of what she doesn't know what she's doing is, she talks about getting the ball in the post, but she puts NO 3pt shooters on the floor to spread the floor to open the lane.....put Dunbar and another shooter on opposite sides of the floor and put deshields at the top of the key as a facilitator as she is a great passier and put Graves as a flasher through the lane and running the baseline under the rim

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Hmm, let me see:

McDonald's All Americans:
1. Mercedes Russell
2. Jaime Nared
3. Diamond Deshields
4. Alexa Mddleton
5 Kourtney Dunbar
6. Tea Cooper
7. Bashara Graves
8. Jordan Reynolds
9. Nia Moore

I would almost bet the farm, that if Auriema (sp??) or McGraw, staley, etc., had that talent they would have no more than 2 losses............

Reactions: 5 people
The fact that there are articles like this being written suggests it's not just the fans who are growing impatient. She's clearly on the hot seat - and that's a good thing!

3) A signing class of 0.

More time for CHW my arse! She should had been fired weeks ago. Time is of essence to stop the downfall. Get rid of her NOW!

Reactions: 3 people
Hmm, let me see:

McDonald's All Americans:
1. Mercedes Russell
2. Jaime Nared
3. Diamond Deshields
4. Alexa Mddleton
5 Kourtney Dunbar
6. Tea Cooper
7. Bashara Graves
8. Jordan Reynolds
9. Nia Moore

I would almost bet the farm, that if Auriema (sp??) or McGraw, staley, etc., had that talent they would have no more than 2 losses............

I had no idea this roster had so many recruits that were McDonalds AA. Sadly, I think your last comment was spot on.

3) A signing class of 0.

Hart won't do anything anytime soon but by the time he does the program will be in a shambles.

I know Holly is a nice person but this team has been playing since October. I think that is enough time to get a team ready to play basketball at a decent level.

more time? she's been here since 1985 and still can't coach.

Ha. Maybe the writer was speaking in geologic terms. You know, like how it takes a million years for a mountain to rise up another half a millimeter.

I'm actually slightly sympathetic to the notion of time because each incoming class is different, thus it takes some time for those players to gell. But the kind of time needed in that situation is generally pre-season practice and 10 or so games. Not a whole season.

I have to agree with the OP on this topic. Look at the team when Holdsclaw was here in 1996-97 I believe. That team lost 10 regular season games but won the national championship. Now, I'm not saying this team is going to do that because they're certainly not looking that way.

We certainly have enough talent to accomplish that though. We wasn't picked #4 in the pre-season for nothing. That 96-97 team also had Pat Summit as their head coach & not Holly Warlick although Warlick was a part of that coaching team.

This is certainly the worst record wise that Holly has placed on that floor in Knoxville but it's not the least talented either. It's also not the most talented but we do have plenty enough solid recruits with the addition of DeShields coming to Knoxville to do much better than we are right now.

I just think we have bad team chemistry or something that's messing up things. Maybe it's the offense Holly is using or maybe it's not. Sometimes we play solid defense & sometimes we don't. I understand why people are frustrated including me. Heck, just a few days ago I was all for Holly being fired but I think she deserves longer.

However, unless we start getting more of the top recruits then we're not going very far anyhow. Holly is not Pat Summit. She can't take 2 & 3 star recruits & make them play like 4-5 star recruits. We must get some 4-5 star recruits. Right now, for 2016 we don't have a single 4-5 star recruit on the radar: 2016 HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings - espnW 100 - ESPN

If it wasn't for Cooper & Jackson in the 2015 class we wouldn't have signed any 4-5 star recruits last year.

We have a girl out of Blackman High School(Crystal Dangerfield) right now that has already declared for UConn. She's the #3 recruit in the country. Chassity Carter out of Dickson County High School in Tennessee has already declared for Vandy & she's the #44 recruit.

The #83rd recruit(Rodrea Echols) out of Overton High School in Nashville has declared for Oklahoma State. We can't allow top state recruits to get away from us. That's starting to happen way too much since Pat left.

We must stop & ask how can that be for a UT Lady Vols program with such tradition? I don't know but this wouldn't even be a discussion with Pat at the helm. We would be deciding on which ones that we wanted instead of trying to find recruits to sign.

How much does these decisions from recruits have to do with Holly Warlick at the controls? Only the recruits with honesty can tell us that. There's a cause somewhere. Maybe it's a combination of things but we have to put a stop to not being able to get these top recruits especially the ones from the great state of Tennessee.

Just think about what I just stated from above about the 2016 recruiting. We have lost all 3 top rated Tennessee recruits to another school. They all 3 are 4-5 star recruits. You can't replace talent especially when you don't have Pat Summit coaching anymore.

Last edited:
The only thing that Warlick deserves is an option to resign or to be fired. Why does anyone think that she will all of a sudden become a great coach? There isn't any incoming talent that will be better than what she has so there will be no improvement. It's time to start this thing over with a real coach before it gets to the point of no coming back. I'm sure there is a girls high school jv team that could put Holly's "skills" to use. It's time to say goodbye and good riddance.

Well she did play an offense today that was different than in previous games to defeat the zone and it was by in large a huge improvement.And she played some zone bustr's from long range today and the 3 pointers broke the game wide open.Why it took 30+ years to learn those lessons is still mystifying .

In her 5th year, including the year she filled in as HC for Pat, after 30 yrs as asst coach, she has been extraordinarily ordinary, and the call is out to give her more time..... well OK....

the article puts forth a 6-2 finish to put them at 10-6 in conference, and this is considered a victory.... wow.... i do not see much changing..... the bar is very low

VN Store

Back