Serious questions

LVJeff

Do coaches go to school to be coaches? Aren't there seminars and coaching clinics and things like that during the off season? It seems these days that coaches get to be coaches because they were former players. That's sort of like getting to be a highway engineer because you drove a car on a highway. Has Holly or any of the coaches attended any of these clinics? What about the Sports Management major in college, what exactly is that? Are there classes on how to be a basketball coach included? Does anybody know?

Uh........ As for Holly, she went to the greatest coaching clinic of all time. It was called Pat Summitt. If she needs more "clinic time" outside of that, she just needs to go.

Your highway example is way off btw.

Reactions: 3 people
Really? If you are that uninformed I hope you have help dressing yourself

Really? If you are that uninformed I hope you have help dressing yourself

Uninformed?? Seems a pretty accurate description of the current status of our Lady's basketball Program. It seems many need to spend their eyes and see what in happening to women's basketball @ Tennessee.

Becoming a coach after being a player is more like becoming a foreman on a work crew after being a worker. I think the struggles of HW are made that much more frustrating because she followed one of the all time greatest coaches of any sport. She had enormous shoes to fill, and she's falling way short. Most coaches played their sport at some level prior to becoming coaches, and the "education" of a coach is a combination the technique of the coaches that the person played for and worked for throughout the years. I'm sure you can read books and take seminars, but that experience pales in comparison to playing for and sitting next to a legend for decades.

A lot of coaches have a masters degree. For a lot of college coaching jobs they require a bachelors for assistants and a masters for head coaches.

If you're interested in coaching the biggest thing is playing experience, regardless of level.

"As for Holly, she went to the greatest coaching clinic of all time. It was called Pat Summitt."

Even Pat couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Pat is gone. Deal with it. We're not going to get her back by hanging on to her assistants. Its time to hire an up and comer, whether or not he or she knew Pat. Maintaining what she built would be the greatest tribute.

Reactions: 2 people
I think with Holly it goes in one ear and out the other. I suspect whatever she was taught by Coach Summit has long went out the other ear and is gone forever.
The fact that we've played 20 games and have faced a zone 92 percent of all the minutes we've played and she does not have an effective plan to attack a zone say it all.

Do coaches go to school to be coaches? Aren't there seminars and coaching clinics and things like that during the off season? It seems these days that coaches get to be coaches because they were former players. That's sort of like getting to be a highway engineer because you drove a car on a highway. Has Holly or any of the coaches attended any of these clinics? What about the Sports Management major in college, what exactly is that? Are there classes on how to be a basketball coach included? Does anybody know?
I don't know about other coaches...I worked my ass off to make sure I knew what was relevant and up to date on what was current. Also it helps to realize the importance of what the mood of your players. A degree is psychology is recommended.

i'm beginning to wonder if chw is not holding her assistants accountable. they just seem to be getting a pass in all this mess!

i'm beginning to wonder if chw is not holding her assistants accountable. they just seem to be getting a pass in all this mess!

I don't feel that quality assistants are that important in basketball. For recruiting, probably. But that's about it.

And our issues go far beyond recruiting.

Sports management concerns the financial and marketing side of sports; it is a major offered by business schools an had nothing to do with coaching or athletic performance.

The problem is that when you become a coach at prestige program, you are more likely to be expert one of these coaching clinics rather than a student;

Speaking of management, there was an old theory that has fallen out of favor called the Peter Principle which holds that people rise to their level of incompetence and then get stuck at the level (this was back in the days of classic bureaucracies where getting fired was uncommon occurrence). It may be generally outmoded by I think it applies here; you can be a great assistant coach and not be able to effectively manage the demands and responsibilities of being the head coach. The Peter Principle assumed that one could not learn and grow into the new role. Time will tell how well this theory applies to Holly..

A big thank you to those who gave serious and thoughtful answers to my questions.

I take it then that there is no college curriculum that teaches one how to be a coach at a particular sport. There wasn't in my day but I wasn't sure about now.

A big thank you to those who gave serious and thoughtful answers to my questions.

I take it then that there is no college curriculum that teaches one how to be a coach at a particular sport. There wasn't in my day but I wasn't sure about now.

Within my sports management program there was one course dedicated to the actual instructional aspect of coaching.

It was called coaching football technical and tactical skills. I still reference back to the course text book to this day. It was a great course and shaped a lot of my views on the game.

I'm sure most schools have something like that. But it's normally just one course in your degree plan. The rest is about the legal aspect of coaching (title IX compliance, etc), organizational aspects, and leadership.

Reactions: 1 person
Within my sports management program there was one course dedicated to the actual instructional aspect of coaching.

It was called coaching football technical and tactical skills. I still reference back to the course text book to this day. It was a great course and shaped a lot of my views on the game.

I'm sure most schools have something like that. But it's normally just one course in your degree plan. The rest is about the legal aspect of coaching (title IX compliance, etc), organizational aspects, and leadership.

Thank you! Very good information for me.

VN Store

Back