TN 2016 vs UNC 2014 - a comparison

UCMiami

There is a lot of when Diamond was at UNC comparison happening in threads and I thought I would just do a little comparison between the two teams and Diamond's stats so people can move past mythology to some facts:

UNC scored 78.8 points per game vs. TN's current 65.8 so offensively they were much more explosive and they shot .444, not great but certainly better than TN's .413

But UNC was also giving up 65.5 ppg vs. TN's current 58.9 and UNC did not play as tough a schedule, not bad but not great.

So UNC played higher scoring games which has an effect on individual scoring and assist numbers but they also gave up more points. And they ended the year with a regular season 22-8 inflated by playing a few more cupcakes than TN. So not that great a team, with a 5-2 post season record. TN is currently 12-8 and likely have some more losses coming so not as successful, but not out of the same league, especially given the schedule differences.

Diamond was a big part of the team and her gaudy 18 point per game average looks nice - but her:
Percentage of team points: TN 22%, UNC 22%
Percentage of shots taken: TN 23%, UNC 24%
Points per shot: TN 1.0, UNC 1.1
Assist per game: TN 2.4, UNC 2.5
Turnovers per game: TN 3.7, UNC 3.4
Rebounds per game: TN 5.0, UNC 5.4
Steals per game: TN 1.9, UNC 1.7
Blocks per game: TN 1.0, UNC 0.3
Fouls per game: TN 2.6, UNC 2.4
Minutes per game: TN 26.9, UNC 27.9
Shooting percentages: TN .402/.241/.778, UNC .426/.279/.776

That to me is an amazingly consistent picture between the two years. Given different competition and different teammates the variation in numbers is meaningless - Diamond is statistically the exact same player providing the same percentage of offense, and the same kind of production in teams that are a bit different in character, but generating fairly similar results.

And neither team had a really strong coach - Sylvia was on sabbatical and the team was coached by her assistant, Pat is gone and the team is coached by her assistant.

The one distinction I would make is that Diamond was highly touted as the best freshman and some things like TOs and less than great shooting are expected by freshman, with the expectation those things will improve each year. And that hasn't happened here.

Reactions: 5 people
Diamond is exactly what I thought she'd be. However, she is playing with much, much weaker teammates. In particular, there is no one on Tennessee with the deadeye of Allisha Gray and the tandem of McDaniel/Mavunga was much, much tougher than Bashaara (doing her part)/Russell (not doing her part).

People that thought she'd be on the same level as a Candace Parker or Breanna Stewart were not being realistic.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting numbers and comparison, thanks. I can't imagine how DD got national freshman of the year if her numbers at UNC were the same as her stats this year, as she has been bad this year--not ok, not mediocre...bad. Or maybe it should be said that she's been bad the last six or seven games; I think she had some solid games early in the season and a couple of good ones, but lately she's been horrid. Let's keep in mind that she's two years older than we was as a UNC freshman, so you'd think that her basketball IQ and maturity would have made her better player. Not the case.

Armchair - she was the media darling ring leader of the recruiting 'best class every' that was going to bring UNC back to the promise land. She can be a very exciting player to watch and that team played a very open style of basketball and as always with UNC teams focused on offense and speed to the detriment of defense. She shot below the team average, took more shots than anyone else, created lots of spectacular assists and lots of bad turnovers. She scored 18 ppg but inefficiently and I was not surprised she was voted freshman of the year - but there were better fundamentally sound freshman that year who put up good numbers without the flash or attention on her own team, let alone in the nation. TN got the flash, Ohio and SC may have gotten the quality.

Super nice perspective by everyone so far on DD. However the hallmark if a good coach is the ability to bringing the best out of your players. DD has had two more years to get better as a player someone says says but her #s are similar to her freshman year at UNC. We have 7All American players on this team. Coaches have to put thier players in a position of strength so they can succeed. I am not convinced that the staff have the ability to scheme and design or perhaps adjust to the players strength to make them effective. A good leader must have the knack to recognize what bring out the best of thier team like in any other leadership position in the world. Put people in place to succeed according to thier strength and the ability to be inclusive. I must say all that is missing when you watch this team and staff. Lady vols badly needs a major shake up and I would start at the top.

Great post, UC Miami. I watched a lot of NC games two years ago and I made some comments about DD's lack of efficiency in her overall play but was shouted down by those that saw her as the LV's messiah. I also noted a few games ago that the DD I'm seeing now is very similar to the DD I saw play two years ago.... but you've taken the time and effort to provide the statistics that prove that point.

thanks for this. It is sad that some are wanting to somehow make Diamond the proverbial scapegoat.

One her game, her defense has improved considerably as the season has gone on; For example, Against KY, Epps was going off in the third quarter and then Diamond switched on her and the scoring torrent dramatically slowed.

It would be very nice if her shooting % was higher and it is interesting to see that she is not that far off her NC rate.

But her big liability has been turnovers; Some of those are due to her actually being too unselfish and trying to make the thread the needle pass rather than taking the available shot; some seem to be pressing too hard-- when she dribbles the ball off her foot, etc.; and I would say about half are due to her teammates not reading the game as quickly as she does; in other words, she sees a play and her teammates don't or they react too slowly.

So, I think some reduction in TOs will occur as the players learn more about each others tendencies and capacities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
thanks for this. It is sad that some are wanting to somehow make Diamond the proverbial scapegoat.

One her game, her defense has improved considerably as the season has gone on; For example, Against KY, Epps was going off in the third quarter and then Diamond switched on her and the scoring torrent dramatically slowed.

It would be very nice if her shooting % was higher and it is interesting to see that she is not that far off her NC rate.

But her big liability has been turnovers; Some of those are due to her actually being too unselfish and trying to make the threat needle pass rather than taking the available shot; some seem to be pressing to hard-- when she dribbles the ball off her foot, etc.; and I would say about half are due to her teammates not reading the game as quickly as she does; in other words, she sees a play and her teammates don't or react too slowly.

So, I think some reduction in TOs will occur as the players learn more about each others tendencies and capacities.
I agree. Nobody should be blaming Diamond. She is there to be coached Holly makes the big bucks to coach her. The girls play so much better when the run and play fast.

Reactions: 2 people
My husband and I were at the Alabama game yesterday and we have a few observations. We had great seats and could actually see the facial expressions of the girls.

This is a team that is not having fun playing this year . One could see that they are under a great deal of pressure. It is sad because we have such talent. They did win but there is just no excitement or a lot of interaction between the players and coaches.

DD did not have a good game but she was trying so hard. Too hard! She just gives up on herself and she cannot get a rhythm going. I for one was sad to see this. She needs encouragement and coaching. I still believe she can be a force to move the team forward.

I know we all have been disappointed with this year but I truly believe we have got to get a coach for this team. They are young ladies with good skills but are lost.

Many of the fans we talked to are feeling let down and do not believe Holly can rally this team.

All that talent! What a shame! Please do not get down on the players. They are looking for a leader and they deserve one!

My husband and I were at the Alabama game yesterday and we have a few observations. We had great seats and could actually see the facial expressions of the girls.

This is a team that is not having fun playing this year . One could see that they are under a great deal of pressure. It is sad because we have such talent. They did win but there is just no excitement or a lot of interaction between the players and coaches.

DD did not have a good game but she was trying so hard. Too hard! She just gives up on herself and she cannot get a rhythm going. I for one was sad to see this. She needs encouragement and coaching. I still believe she can be a force to move the team forward.

I know we all have been disappointed with this year but I truly believe we have got to get a coach for this team. They are young ladies with good skills but are lost.

Many of the fans we talked to are feeling let down and do not believe Holly can rally this team.

All that talent! What a shame! Please do not get down on the players. They are looking for a leader and they deserve one!

Fantastic outlook for the team. I totally agree with your perspective. Way to many solid talent on this team. Clear that Holly is the wrong person to lead this talented ladies. Ask you this did you get a sense that the team respond to her at all. Shame that this program has come to this.

Great post.

VN Store

Back