Why are we making the players the Scapegoat?

mlindsay

I find it funny how people are blaming Diamond for being the person everyone know she was. Holly knew it and probably lied to her to get her here. I'm sure Diamond was told (in order to get cooper here) that this would be "her" (Diamond's) Team and that her and Cooper would more than likely be starting together (alongside their other childhood friend Andraya Carter) Diamond gets here and during practice realizes the focus isn't on her and it isn't her team but in fact Holly wants it to be Mercedes Team. Diamond tried to suck it up and be a team player until she realize 2 things (Holly can't coach and Russell isn't ready to put the team on her back) instead of allowing Diamond to do what she brought her here to do (be a superstar and have the girls rally around her) she took her out of her comfort zone by forcing her to pass it to Russell and Graves. Diamond probably feeling used (she could've stayed at UNC as it was also in Cooper's top 3 schools). Yes she can suck it up but at the same time realistically what would our record be without her. Reynolds is just starting to show what she showed in two games in her freshman year during the SEC tournament. Carter is starting to shoot a little more but is getting us "0" assist in mostly every game. Russell is not strong enough and defers far too often and Graves (doesn't realize her strengths and how much she can help the team. This is all a matter of poor coaching/develop. The players don't know their role and how long they will be out there so they try to do it individually instead of as a team. Look at the inbound pass when Diamond got it (after it was almost a turnover by Reynolds) Diamond normally would've attempt to shoot it to win the game but she gave a great pass to a wide open Reynolds who missed the layup, and got her own rebound and missed it again only to get fouled but yet the blame is on Diamond.

Holly needs to;

1.) RESIGN (That wont happen)
2.) Find a lineup and stick to it (enough of the BS substitutions at the wrong time)
3.) Trust her players and assistant coaches (Look at the difference Reynolds and Cooper has shown after getting extra time with Coach Law)
4.) Let the girls run (we are a far better team in transition yet we are constantly being told to wait on the bigs)
5.) Stop Trying to coach Pat's Philosophy, every coach has their own identity she needs to stop trying to live off Pats. The other coaches and schools have figured her and UT out and since changes seems to not be coming anytime soon we need to try to do as much as possible to right the ship

Reactions: 3 people
Don't you win or lose as a team? At least that's what I hear everyone say.
Is it somehow morally superior to utterly trash a 50 year old, while exalting 20/year olds?

Reactions: 2 people
Is it somehow morally superior to utterly trash a 50 year old, while exalting 20/year olds?

No it is not but it seems like the media "ESPN" and the Analyst who call the games and many on this board are throwing most of the blame on Diamond or other players and aren't calling Holly out for her bad substitutions, her inability to make half time adjustment, poor clock management, inability to create an offense to beat a zone. Inability to get through to her players, and etc. I have yet to hear anybody (Media wise, former players, etc) really address the issue because some of the same issues were here last year when Diamond was sitting on the bench we just had a Player (Izzy) or Two (Burdick) who wanted badly to reach a final four so they essentially did their thing and played their game/ignored Holly

Reactions: 1 person
I don't blame the players as much as the coaches. I think the game plans have been ineffective and this staff doesn't have a clue against the zone. I think with a good coach these players would become a very good team. Not one player seems to know her role with this team. Why does Mercedes play out on the perimeter on defense. She should be under the basket every second of every possession by the other team. Why does the zone still put this team in la la land it is the coaches not having a plan and they haven't had one ever. Teams got smart enough to play zone against us this season it will happen the rest of the season so wake up Holly get a strategy against it. Ask somebody that knows and that wouldn't be anybody on your staff.

I don't blame the players as much as the coaches. I think the game plans have been ineffective and this staff doesn't have a clue against the zone. I think with a good coach these players would become a very good team. Not one player seems to know her role with this team. Why does Mercedes play out on the perimeter on defense. She should be under the basket every second of every possession by the other team. Why does the zone still put this team in la la land it is the coaches not having a plan and they haven't had one ever. Teams got smart enough to play zone against us this season it will happen the rest of the season so wake up Holly get a strategy against it. Ask somebody that knows and that wouldn't be anybody on your staff.

Coaching stinks, but there are some serious skill gaps in the players as well. No shooters, no playmakers, and the only interior toughness comes from a player that's too short to enforce her will.

The staff should have been working on these shortcomings instead of screaming, "defense!" "inside-out!" and "no quick shooting!" like a broken record.

This reminds me of Dooley's 2011 team, in which he lost the teams interest. The 2011 team, in my opinion, lost to Ky. on purpose, just to not have to play in a bowl game and also to put added pressure on Dooley to get fired.
I just don't see these girls enjoying this season and they are probably giving 90% effort rather than 110%. When it is obvious to the players that the coach won't make changes, and they try to win but the coach causes them to lose the game, the morale goes down.
If the "leader" on the floor is not motivated, then the other players will follow.
Chamique ColeSlaw had all of the other players around her fired up all the time and that made the difference and led us to two straight National Championships.

Reactions: 4 people

Nobody is trashing, nobody is exalting. Pointing out CHW's deficiencies as a head coach takes nothing away from her 30+ years as a valued assistant to Pat Summit.

Perhaps Holly needs a fresh start somewhere - someplace that doesn't have the pressure of leading a squad of 7 McDonald A-As and other assorted top 100 players. Maybe it's her true calling as a head coach to do more with less .. instead of the other way around...

Probably because they're All-Americans yet they shoot 20 percent from the 3-point line, 30 percent from the field and average nearly 20 turnovers a game.

Reactions: 6 people
why in the he!! do these great coaches not recruit offensive players!!!

In fairness, Jannah Tucker was supposed to be the starting SG and the lights-out shooter on this team. You can't blame Holly for not foreseeing that whole unfortunate situation.

I really thought Middleton and Cooper would be better than they are...

A team ideology is determined by the coach, when a player fails to follow the coach's ideology, it is the coach's job to correct said behavior. If Diamond, or any other player, is doing things contrary to Holly's ideology, they should be seated on the bench w/o a pat on the ass or back as they head to the bench. If a coach lacks the ability to control the behavior of their players, they should resign because for all intents and purpose, she/he has lost control of the team.

No it is not but it seems like the media "ESPN" and the Analyst who call the games and many on this board are throwing most of the blame on Diamond or other players and aren't calling Holly out for her bad substitutions, her inability to make half time adjustment, poor clock management, inability to create an offense to beat a zone. Inability to get through to her players, and etc. I have yet to hear anybody (Media wise, former players, etc) really address the issue because some of the same issues were here last year when Diamond was sitting on the bench we just had a Player (Izzy) or Two (Burdick) who wanted badly to reach a final four so they essentially did their thing and played their game/ignored Holly

Analyst do not blame Holly by name but they do by saying that players are always out of position, by questioning why a team with top 3 talent is playing so poorly, why is the team passing up shots, why is this person shooting bad shots and like last night when Carolyn Peck questioned the reason why the LV's took their feet off the gas. The only person who can control those issues is the HC

Last edited:
Analyst do not blame Holly by name but they do by saying that players are always out of position, by questioning why a team with top 3 talent is playing so poorly, why is the team passing up shots, why is this person shooting bad shots and like last night when Carolyn Peck questioned the reason why the LV's took their feet off the gas. The only person who can control those issues is the HC

Agree. And real coaches (like Peck who btw has won a Nat'l Championship) know when to play the right personnel, when to speed up the tempo, what defensive adjustments are needed, how to break down a zone defense, etc. I heard her question why Kourtney Dunbar wasn't in the game at least 3 times last night. You would think that as Holly breaks down tape of the game, she would be smart enough to listen to the announcers once in a while...

Some of you sound like you don't realize that McDonald's AA are picked as AA for a reason and that reason is because they are good! What happens to them after they are picked AA's is by the coach who coaches them.

Reactions: 5 people

Maybe you did not her Holly Rowe when we were on ESPN. She certainly stated that this was inexcusable, and the staff needed to accept the responsibility. She said the talent level was there. Andy Landers from Georgia says it every week, that very few teams in the country can match our talent, but we need to be a TEAM. I think ever commentator sees this, and indirectly states it on the air. It certainly can be no one but the Coach when we can not even sign a three star player, when we have in the past turned away four star, and been selective on five star players. Agree or disagree it doesn't change the fact that she is not a very good coach, and that is becoming more obvious with every game.

I'm quite sure that our offensive coaching is weak--has been for more than a decade--but it is also true that, whatever the offense, players have to play. Players have to be accountable. Basketball is an interesting game offensively because players must both work as a cohesive team--setting picks, getting the ball to the open player (whoever it might be), working for rebounds, etc.--AND yet within the team concept individuals must also make plays. They must beat their defender when they think they can, find room to take shots, make the good pass--let their talent show.

DeShields is not doing either--not showing that she is dialed into the team and not playing well when she does her thing. MLindsay's idea that DeShields must feel "used" by HW because the coach wants her to be a team player and get the ball inside is nonsense. I don't know of too many coaches who are going to let any player just do her thing for 40 minutes while her teammates stand around and watch. That's not what geno does, and it's damn sure not what McGraw and many others do. You run a team offense and then good players do their thing WITHIN it. That involves making good decisions, taking good shots. DeShields makes a ton of bad decisions--makes passes that aren't there; takes shots that aren't there. Plays defense at three-quarter speed, and has shown almost NO team spirit and fight that I have noticed. To me, she doesn't seem fully invested.

When Simmons was here, HW seemed more than happy to let her do her thing, even though Simmons shot too much and was undisciplined. How many shots is DeShields averaging a game? She has shot the ball 15 times or so in a number of games, I think. So it's not like she's being told not to play or to shoot. But if you are throwing the ball away a lot and shooting badly, as she has, any coach would start to reign you in.

As critical as I have been and continue to be about our coaching, players have to play and be accountable, and be invested. Good players know to let the "game come to them," as the old axiom goes--and it's true. DeShields is very talented, and yet her poor play is biggest reason for UT's struggles. I blame both coaching AND her for her performance level. Know what your game is, know what kind of games your teammates have--and make good decisions. This is what is missing.

I think all of us, at some point, have to reevaluate this idea that the Vols are "talented." Let's skip DeShields, for a moment and look at the rest of the roster:

Graves: Hard worker, good rebounder, can make 12 foot shots occasionally and seemed to make quicker decisions last night in the couple of minutes that I watched--but her offensive game has always been extremely limited. Most of her points, throughout her career, have come from offensive put-backs and foul shots. Nothing wrong with that, but she's not a "go-to" player.

Russell: Big, promising, a bit slow and very much a work in progress. Again, she is not at all a "go-to" offensive player; needs to get stronger and a bit meaner and make more of the 6-footers she misses. Defensively, she is not the presence she should be as she wanders away from the basket too much (why leave the paint to cover an opposing big who is not going to score from outside, when all you are doing is freeing up space inside for opposing guards to drive to the basket? STUPID.) Both her and Graves really struggle with help defense--often late recognizing the situation, where the ball is, and late getting over to help.

Carter: Steady, mature, works hard defensively but lacks a bit of size. Has a nice jumper and is becoming more dependable with it. Weakness: does not create enough for a point guard; as someone else noticed; very low assist totals. Makes a positive contribution but not quite a "difference maker"--which could be said about most of our players.

Reynolds: Good size, can take the ball inside. Downside: doesn't have a great jump shot but scored nicely last night. Defensively, she seems up and down, seemed lost early in the year when she was coming off the bench. Probably not sure of her role.

Nared: Good length and athleticism; moves well. Weakness: Seems a bit lost offensively and might be another player not entirely comfortable in her role, which is a problem when you are playing so many different combinations.

One thing that is hurting this team that is the coaches DO NOT KNOW, even now, what our best starting 5 is. That is because NOBODY plays well consistently. From game to game, we have a pretty good idea what to expect from Graves, Carter and Russell--but would we call those three "talented?" I think they are each a notch below. And then after them, everyone else (meaning Nared, Cooper, DeShileds and Reynolds) has had long stretches of poor play and can best be described as erratic.

Cooper: She is talented--mostly at getting to the basket, but a freshman, young. Doesn't have a great looking jumper, shot poorly for most of the year has played well lately.

There's no question that we are more talented than Arkansas and Mississippi State and probably florida, too. Our losses seem a combination of player, coaching and toughness issues. The Vols need a stable notation; need desperately to get positive play from DeShields (eye of the storm) and need to stop the one-quarter meltdown that we see every freakin' game--and that is costing the team games. That is the toughness part.

I noticed in her press interview after the loss that she developed a new tic, nose picking. This woman (I guess) has now added the pick from Seinfeld to her repertoire.

With seconds left at ky and miss st we missed easy put backs that would've been game winners. :jpshakehead: Those games shouldn't have been that close. :no:

She's a grown woman, she's 50. It's the Mike Gundy rule.

Coaches making 7 figures deserve more heat than girl student athletes.

Warlick was practically in a daze early in the post-game press conference, and who could blame her? Listen to her when the topic of DeShields comes up. She doesn't want to say much about her, said not starting her was "easy," after she missed practice, and made a point of saying that they don't need DeShields to score more points, though amended that to say she would welcome her hitting more shots. I got a strong sense that she is not happy with DeShields, and I frankly have had misgiving about DD from the first game I saw her. I will blame Warlick for a lot of things, but my intuition tells me DD is a prima donna and not really a team player, and maybe not coachable--wants to do her own thing. This has been noticeable to me from the first game, when her body language looked bad. She wants to sort of glide around, exert herself once in a while, and sort of be above it all. That's what I see in her play. I also find it a bit interesting that DeShields did not practice the day before the game because she supposedly had an ankle sprain--and yet HW said that she did not think the ankle was bothering DD in the game. It's hard to know what's going on, but there seems to an issue here. And here's the thing, no matter who the coach is, or what your views are, you go out and play your tail off every game.

None of these players know their role on the team, majority of the time they all look lost out there and that's on the coach. this team as a whole have unnecessary turnovers,don't know what defense is,continues to pass up on shots for whatever reasons,always dribbling and not enough passing,can't make easy layups,always wait until the last minute to start playing with fire and passion. this team have been having these same problems long before DeShields even got here. maybe if they actually had a coach that knows what she's doing and knows how to utilize her players then these problems would have been fixed. don't they have a pattern of standing and watching? it went from "oh let's stand around and watch Meighan" to "Let's stand around and watch Izzy" and now it's "Let's stand around and watch Diamond".

They are not a consistent team because the players we need to step up usually disappear in both big games and games against other mediocre teams. they have good games and disappear the next. this team lacks discipline and a head coach should not continue to publicly say "they don't know how to fix the problem" every time the team loses because it is your responsibility to find a solution. i have always wondered if the team and coaching staff even watch tape on themselves and other teams because i just don't understand how you can watch tape and still continue to do the same crap over and over again.

how can someone who's supposed to be the Head Coach be this clueless? her substitutions sucks, every game when we finally have a group out there that are actually playing well she always finds ways to mess it up with her stupid substitutions. it ALWAYS messes up any type of momentum they have but yet she continues to do it. when teams go zone the team crumbles because the coach has no answer and doesn't know how to adjust. every one plays poorly and somehow it's Diamond getting all the blame.

Of all the guards Cooper a freshman who is still learning and adjusting at the college level gets more blame than Reynolds,Carter and Middleton and one of these three has looked and played far worse than any other guard on the team. Russell and Graves aren't in sync with each other i really wanted them to be a dynamic force in the paint. now i'm getting frustated with Middleton because she continues to pass up shots even when left open she doesn't want to shoot. in Dunbar's case i think they should be drawing plays for her to get open and catch and shoot the ball. Nared haven't really showed me much after that fist game back from her hand/wrist injury.

I wish the seniors would have taken leadership the same way Harrison,Burdick,Massengale did last year when the team struggled early one. even when Izzy went down with the ACL injury that ended her collegiate career they stuck together and played for Izzy.

Last edited:
Listening to those homers in the morning on WNML fumble around saying "I just don't know" and "team chemistry" bla bla make me crazy! Homer Dearstone shouldn't be involved with the lady Vols because of his love for Holly! He is blind!! Warlick needs to go. This team is bad.

VN Store

Back