To really start a Holly discussion

OldMikey

It is impossible to follow a legend, even for her.
All the legendary coaches were not replaced successfully at their original schools. After Geno leaves UConn, that program will die out.
Tennessee has the legend and a strong conference (8 qualifying for NCAA) going for it
If Holly ends up being the bridge to a real coach, the real discussion has to be who? Don't just fire her without a plan.
None of Pat's assistants have won anywhere else enough to be on the radar. Even DeMoss flopped already at two major programs (and was the original coach at Florida).
It's a nice urban legend that Pat produced wonderful coaches, but not true on the national stage.
Would a good SEC coach jump? The only two worthwhile are at Missouri and Mississippi State with the State guy already old. Other veterans (Auburn and Alabama) have not produced and Auburn once had a coach in three straight Final Fours, so it can be done there.
The Duke coach is a possibility but she flatlined already.

Reactions: 1 person
i do not agree that it is impossible to follow a legend...... difficult, yes, impossible , no..... it has been painfully obvious during Holly's whole tenure that she was/is much more comfortable in the #2 spot than at the helm..... she has difficulty leading, and even communicating her plan, whatever that is..... will UConn die off after Geno leaves.... no they will not, they will bump down a bit i am sure, but I am sure they will search for the right fit.... It constantly amazes me the roster we have.... all those HS All Americans.... and we continually lose to teams who have no HS world beaters.... or perhaps only 1 or 2.... it is holly's job to implement an offense for this team, get them to play together, demand that they respect her and follow her plan, and play disciplined basketball..... look at tonight, we have twice the talent as Miss State, yet have twice the turnovers..... we shot better than they did, but got out rebounded. we scored 8 points in the last 15 minutes..... extrapolated out that is 22 points for a game average..... zero points the last 4:37 of regulation.... oh geez it keeps on going......

All the legendary coaches were not replaced successfully at their original schools. After Geno leaves UConn, that program will die out.
Tennessee has the legend and a strong conference (8 qualifying for NCAA) going for it
If Holly ends up being the bridge to a real coach, the real discussion has to be who? Don't just fire her without a plan.
None of Pat's assistants have won anywhere else enough to be on the radar. Even DeMoss flopped already at two major programs (and was the original coach at Florida).
It's a nice urban legend that Pat produced wonderful coaches, but not true on the national stage.
Would a good SEC coach jump? The only two worthwhile are at Missouri and Mississippi State with the State guy already old. Other veterans (Auburn and Alabama) have not produced and Auburn once had a coach in three straight Final Fours, so it can be done there.

after following a legend, a coach doesn't have to be great. but he/she oughta make an effort to be 'very good' with the talent they have. you can't rely on the legend to help you cruise through your career either

Reactions: 3 people
There is a thin line between good and great, and that goes for the players as well. I see this as a multifaceted issue. The coaches can't get the team to work as one, and the players don't show me the driven spirit that previous greats have shown. The coaches and players appear to be lost during the games.......I don't know how that happens when Holly has all those years sitting next to a person who does not wilt in the face of adversity. Holly is not Pat, but coaches coach and that is the difference. Holly does not have the same commitment and the where with all as Pat. I know previous players will disagree, but I'm willing to bet that practices are no where close to how Pat conducted them.......and that is where you become great, not at the game, but at practice. I think it was a safe move to hire Holly, but the program needs an infusion of youth.....who? I don't know.....but we all need to be careful not to have Hart pull that trigger to fast......Ala Dooley.

Ted Owens to Larry Brown to Roy Williams to Bill Self....all in Succession at Kansas.......it's not impossible.

Last edited:
Tennessee had begun a downward slide before CPS retired. She was still dominating the SEC but wasn't competitive against the top 4 or 5 teams nationally. The game is more physical and the successful coaches have a merciless and ruthless attitude.

Reactions: 4 people
It's just sad. For one brief period Tennessee basketball fans had their spotlight. Bruce Pearl was winning and anything was possible. Pat Summitt was doing her thing.
Now not only have the men sunk back down to below average, the women's team have joined them. I guess we are a Football school only now.

None of Pat's assistants have won anywhere else enough to be on the radar. Even DeMoss flopped already at two major programs (and was the original coach at Florida

Not only did DeMoss not do well at Florida, she also got in trouble at Ky. for a relationship with someone.

Hart needs to take his short list and made contact with those on his list and gauge their interest in accepting the job. Then when you get one in place, fire Holly.
Dawn Staley is young, energetic and has built USC up. Caroline Peck won a championship at Purdue and she is also a former U.T. assistant. May not want to leave the booth for the job though.
The longer we wait to replace her, means the longer it will take for the program to rebound.

Reactions: 2 people
We are probably looking at 19-10, no real movement in SEC Tourney, low NCAA seed, exit by sweet 16. No top 100 recruits.

University needs to decide how much they want to reinvest in the Lady Vols. If Hart is committed to a championship program we need a change.

I'd go after Brenda Freese. I don't know if she'd leave Maryland since her son is plugged into the health care system there, but we should take a shot. She's an excellent recruiter, motivator, and X's and O's coach, all of which we are severely lacking now. And she's kicked our butt for the past few years.

I predict that Holly will get one more year, then get fired. ONce she is replaced, the roster will still have Cooper, DeShields, Dunbar,Jackson, Middleton, Nared & Russell. By then , Carter, Jones, Moore & Reynolds will be gone.
New coach will have some talent on the team to start rebulding with.

I predict that Holly will get one more year, then get fired. ONce she is replaced, the roster will still have Cooper, DeShields, Dunbar,Jackson, Middleton, Nared & Russell. By then , Carter, Jones, Moore & Reynolds will be gone.

I like Holly, but I hope not. She needs to resign at the end of the season. The lady vols have played this same brand of basketball the last few seasons. The offense has been terrible the last few seasons, but hasn't improved and there's no encouraging signs. I'm hoping for an entire new coaching staff. I can't tell you the last time where I just completely quit watching Lady Vols' games and I been a fan since the Shrya Ely and Tasha Butts days. Things are continuing to digress, but some fans are still wanting Holly to lead the way while Tennessee is becoming a National joke. I'm hoping Holly will just resign after the season.

I predict that Holly will get one more year, then get fired. ONce she is replaced, the roster will still have Cooper, DeShields, Dunbar,Jackson, Middleton, Nared & Russell.

There is no guarantee that Diamond and Russell will stay for a fifth year. They both may opt to leave after earning their degrees and start earning some money.

We all know why she got the job. Name a lifelong assistant that took over an elite program at the college or pro level as their first HC job that was still a HC there 4 years later. Short list. If a coach does not have the initiative to take a HC gig somewhere else to do their own thing in that long of period, they are not HC material. Especially at UT. She tried and could not get it done. Most of the LV fan base and Pat got their wish even though it was destined for failure. Time to move on before the program tubes completely like it did with Dools. They still have a good roster that can be salvaged and turned around reasonably quickly.

It's just sad. For one brief period Tennessee basketball fans had their spotlight. Bruce Pearl was winning and anything was possible. Pat Summitt was doing her thing.
Now not only have the men sunk back down to below average, the women's team have joined them. I guess we are a Football school only now.

That's not fair to our "Very Good" softball team.

I agree Holly gets one more year. However if she cannot entice a graduate student, with eligibility and leadership, or a top JC player, things could get much worse. She also has to show the ability to recruit 5 stars that are leaders and college ready for the 2017 recruiting class. I keep hearing not to worry because we have some great 2017 recruits, as I recall I heard the same thing for 2016. We can no longer be nieve, this program needs a life saver because right now it is drowning in the Holly Dooley Ocean of ineptness.

I like Holly, but I hope not. She needs to resign at the end of the season. The lady vols have played this same brand of basketball the last few seasons. The offense has been terrible the last few seasons, but hasn't improved and there's no encouraging signs. I'm hoping for an entire new coaching staff. I can't tell you the last time where I just completely quit watching Lady Vols' games and I been a fan since the Shrya Ely and Tasha Butts days. Things are continuing to digress, but some fans are still wanting Holly to lead the way while Tennessee is becoming a National joke. I'm hoping Holly will just resign after the season.

Most coaches won't resign after such a bad year. Most will think " I just need one more year to turn it around, you will see"
Fulmer bought more time by firing Sanders in 2005. He tought he could buy more time by showing the fans and the staff that he had a good roster of recruits coming in 2009 but time ran out on him.
Holly will try to come back next season and it will not be good. Then she will have to admit that it is not going to work under her guidance. Also, there will be ALOT of chatter by the fans and Hart will surely take notice around Christmas time of next season, once it is apparent that the season won't be turned around.

Unfortunately for Holly that she followed a legend but she knew that going into the position. That being said, this program will be in big trouble if a coaching change is not made at the end of this season, bringing in a high quality new coach. I agree with those who have dared to say that the decline started before Pat left, the game has simply changed. Time now to move on and catch up, the future of the Lady Vols can and should be very bright!

Ted Owens to Larry Brown to Roy Williams to Bill Self....all in Succession at Kansas.......it's not impossible.

Yes. Where were all these people 3/4 years ago when Pat was recommending a head coach for the #1 wcbb program in the nation with zero wins as a HC?

Nobody here said a wooooord at the time. Anyone who dared raise a finger of question was smacked into last week with a "She has earned the right to pick the successor". Did our new AD really even have a chance to do a nationwide search for the absolute best? Not in a million years, and we all know it.

Kansas apparently placed program over personality / relationship. As hard as that might be, it is the way it must be done. It's emotionally convenient for the fan base to not wanna " rock the boat" when your on top. Unfortunately, to stay at the top of anything requires a relentless pursuit of continuous improvement.

There's an old saying that applies here unfortunately ... "You made your own bed, now lie in it".

Maybe this time the Athletic Department will take care of business and the fans will support doing the job correctly.

Reactions: 3 people
would not surprise me if diamond took the european route like the rutgers player a few years ago! cannot imagine her experience in orange being what she anticipated

The notion that CHW would resign is bizarre. Her mindset is no different now then it was after her first game (loss to Chattanooga).. that eventually the players are going to see the light and live up to their potential.

Most coaches won't resign after such a bad year. Most will think " I just need one more year to turn it around, you will see"
Fulmer bought more time by firing Sanders in 2005. He tought he could buy more time by showing the fans and the staff that he had a good roster of recruits coming in 2009 but time ran out on him.
Holly will try to come back next season and it will not be good. Then she will have to admit that it is not going to work under her guidance. Also, there will be ALOT of chatter by the fans and Hart will surely take notice around Christmas time of next season, once it is apparent that the season won't be turned around.

If this staff returns next season, I think Tennessee will be history. Holly is stuck in the 1980s brand of basketball. Things have changed drastically. The days of winning solely because you have more talent is over. Its been four years since she's been the head coach and I still can't tell you what kind of offense Tennessee runs. She will probably not sign any top talent in the 2017 class based upon the way they are playing and I'm sure opposing staffs are using this as ammunition to recruit against Tennessee. Holly needs to resign at the end of the season or Tennessee might become the next Old Dominion or Louisiana Tech. Elite players want to win and winning championships looks like a thing of the past for Tennessee. Tennessee needs an entire new staff.

We all know why she got the job. Name a lifelong assistant that took over an elite program at the college or pro level as their first HC job that was still a HC there 4 years later. Short list. If a coach does not have the initiative to take a HC gig somewhere else to do their own thing in that long of period, they are not HC material. Especially at UT. She tried and could not get it done. Most of the LV fan base and Pat got their wish even though it was destined for failure. Time to move on before the program tubes completely like it did with Dools. They still have a good roster that can be salvaged and turned around reasonably quickly.

Phil Fulmer did alright for more than 4 years. The guy who took Dean Smith's place at UNC did good too (not to Tarheel standards though, but he kept them in the hunt until Roy Williams came back). But I get your point, and most do not survive when they step into the big chair. As has been said many times thru the years, it's hard to follow a legend --- you want to be the coach who follows the coach that followed the legend.

VN Store

Back