List your candidates to replace Holly......

madbamahater

Should Dawn Staley top the list?

I would think Tennessee Lady Vol history would nearly be enough to bring in a top coach.

Staley is a non starter. I can't think of a single reason why she would want to leave USC. Add to that the fact that there is no way UT would beat her current salary.

Reactions: 5 people
Gail Goestenkors
dukecoach_t640.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jody would literally leap of Clingmans Dome to have this gig!

147– 83 at Wichita State, won conference last 3 years.

Reputation of be a very tough coach that care deeply for her players and the program. Sounds a little like her old college coach.

Candace Parker, well spoken, great basketball knowledge/college /& pro, able to connect with today's era players. Last of the truly great Pat's legacy of LV's

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Jody Adams
Dawn Stanley
Matt Mitchell

No order

Jody would do it, but I'm not sure that would be the wise choice. She's had some problems along the way that would need to be vetted.

Dawn would never leave SC to come to UT. Why would she? She has her program on a roll.

Matt Mitchell- can't afford him and what has he done anyway? Made a little noise but that's it. He's never won anything of any significance.

Reactions: 6 people
I'd be very wary of Jody Adams, whose current team is having a disastrous season (3-14, 335th nationally in scoring).

An internal review of women’s basketball coach Jody Adams’ tenure resulted in Wichita State’s administration supporting its successful coach, while promising changes will be made.

Adams, coach at WSU since 2008, has been the subject of an inquiry into her program, directed by university president John Bardo and carried out by faculty athletic representative Julie Scherz. Four players, including two starters, quit the team after the season, prompting concerns about treatment of athletes and the number of transfers from the program.

Jody Adams, Wichita State introduce changes to women's basketball program | The Wichita Eagle

Some other candidates:
Michelle Clark-Heard - Western Kentucky
Jonathan Tsipsis - George Washington
Courtney Banghart - Princeton
Kim Barnes Arico - Michigan
Katie Meier - University of Miami
Sue Semrau - Florida State

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I don't want any coach who has already (within the past 5 years) or are making their mark elsewhere! The Brenda Frese and Matthew Mitchell's, and etc would be great but many of them may feel that their programs are better programs now than what Tennessee is and will more than likely not look to come here, especially based on our lack of recruits (2016) thanks to Holly! If I had my choice based on what I have seen in terms of coaching and recruiting and who I know will probably have a great staff as well I would go with the following;

Top Choices that would never happen-Becky Hammon (She will not leave the NBA and would be crazy to do so)

1.) Gail Goestenkors-Her experience at both the collegiate and professionally level is very appealing. Yes she failed at Texas but I don't think she should have gone to Texas anyway. She had a better program at Duke. Having taking them to Final Fours and a few championship games. She also had the pick of the litter when it came to North Carolina recruits. She was a great recruiter (Alana Beard, Monique Currie, Mistie Williams, Allison Bales, Lindsey Harding, Joy Cheek, Chante Black, etc.) Going to Texas hurt because she was no longer guaranteed the top local recruits, she had to compete with Baylor (who had won a National Title when Sopia Young was there), Texas A&M, Texas Tech was decent at the time. I think returning to a smaller market like Knoxville and getting the local talent to stay local. As well as her assistant coaching experience in the WNBA (where most young ladies aspire to get to) would help recruiting and put us back on the map.

2.) Nicki Caldwell (Truth be told she should'nt have left UCLA. She was building something there but decided to return to the SEC prematurely imo. LSU was also the wrong place to go. After Hurricane Katrina a lot of the talent moved away making it hard to recruit locally and nationally would you want to play at LSU when you could play at UConn or Tenn, ND, Baylor, etc. I think coming back to Tennessee she would be able to recruit the local players as well as the national players as she is more than likely to add other former Lady Vols to her staff that understand the tradition. She also knows how to coach offense which is something Holly is lacking)

3.) Jody Adams (I would love to see her back at Tennessee to see what she could do here, she has done a fine job at Wichita State and I think would be able to take the team back to where we once were

4.) Nicki McCray-Although she lacks head coaching experience, I think being under Dawn Staley the past 5 years has truly helped her (she also has had a hand in many of the recruits and transfers they have been able to get.) She knows the tradition and I know would love nothing more than to be able to return the team to glory.

5.) Tyler Summit-I know people don't want him with the job and I don't think he is quite ready yet but with Holly unlikely to be fired the next couple of seasons (based on her contract extension) I think he will be ready by then to take over the reigns. He just had a very good recruiting class this past year and has a really good one coming in 2016 (Thanks to Mickey DeMoss who will more than likely return with him) I could see him on the sideline in a few seasons. All it will take imo is to get Louisiana Tech to the tournament at least once while there. (I don't think it will happen this season but they are 8-8 overall and 3-2 in their conference which ties them for 3rd place)

Reactions: 2 people
Had she been offered the day Pat retired maybe, but people have to realize the program isn't an elite program anymore.
Kim's buyout was way too big at that time and Hart will not pay the amount of money that these top 4 or 5 names would require. If people are going to make suggestions, at least try and keep it realistic.

VN Store

Back