Cooper And Jackson

djtee

I think Jackson has more talent then Cooper i say play Meme Jackson more at the pg behind Carter and bench Cooper.

I think Jackson has more talent then Cooper i say play Meme Jackson more at the pg behind Carter and bench Cooper.

I disagree! I like Jackson but Cooper is the more talented of the two, she has an incompetent coach who isn't allowing her to play her game. In high school she wasn't told to "force/get" it to the Post she was her teams star and was told to get to the rim/score and that what she attempts to do and when she does that (get to the rim and instead of scoring dishes it to Graves or Russell) neither of the Post can handle/catch the ball. I think she is thinking a little too much but that's what young players tend to do when they aren't getting proper coaching and for the life of me I do not see how 2 former PG's (Holly and Law) has the worst playing group on the team. Carter needs to look to score more (teams know she wont try to score so they aren't even defending her) Middleton needs to take the open shot and stop trying to drive (she had quite a few open shots against ND only to step inside the line and shoot which lead to poor shots) and Cooper needs to be allowed to play her game and coached up to play the way Holly wants her to play. Reynolds should only see PG duties in a pinch. I think if she is aggressive like she was last night it makes us a better team. I think Jackson should cut into the guards minutes and be apart of the rotation for her defensive abilities alone (the best on ball defender on the team) but she wont because Holly doesn't know how to use her.

Reactions: 5 people
Given that Jackson is bigger and supposedly an excellent defender, and given that Cooper has been struggling in every facet of the game (0-3 last night, four turnovers, and she is shooting 30 percent for the season), you might have a point. Jackson, in very limited minutes, is shooting 20 percent--but she might give us better defense. Cooper's minutes have been reduced, but not enough.

Reactions: 4 people
MeMe is the least talented offensive player on the team (and that is saying something). The teams problem right now is an inability to put the ball in the basket. MeMe will not help with that problem.

That has not been proven beyond a doubt, MeMe has had no opportunity to showcase her offensive abilities yet.

Reactions: 2 people
Given that Jackson is bigger and supposedly an excellent defender, and given that Cooper has been struggling in every facet of the game (0-3 last night, four turnovers, and she is shooting 30 percent for the season), you might have a point. Jackson, in very limited minutes, is shooting 20 percent--but she might give us better defense. Cooper's minutes have been reduced, but not enough.

Quit bringing facts in here, armchair. This is all about perception and emotion. :)

Reactions: 1 person
That has not been proven beyond a doubt, MeMe has had no opportunity to showcase her offensive abilities yet.

Jackson was not known in HS for her offense (9.3 ppg last year); she was a poor shooter then (37%) and still is.

Jackson was not known in HS for her offense (9.3 ppg last year); she was a poor shooter then (37%) and still is.

But Jackson isn't afraid to shoot like our other guards and I will take a player who knows we need some baskets from her and try to get those baskets (Jackson, Cooper) than a player who knows we need those baskets and refuses to try to get them (Carter and Reynolds but as of late Reynolds has been looking to score) When your starting PG is scoreless (or has under 5 points) and fewer than 3 assist and 0 steals almost every game that is also the problem. We need more out of Carter (who is a Senior based on when she came into the program) this should be a big year for her yet she is coasting and we can't have that

I disagree! I like Jackson but Cooper is the more talented of the two, she has an incompetent coach who isn't allowing her to play her game. In high school she wasn't told to "force/get" it to the Post she was her teams star and was told to get to the rim/score and that what she attempts to do and when she does that (get to the rim and instead of scoring dishes it to Graves or Russell) neither of the Post can handle/catch the ball. I think she is thinking a little too much but that's what young players tend to do when they aren't getting proper coaching and for the life of me I do not see how 2 former PG's (Holly and Law) has the worst playing group on the team.

Two of Cooper's turnovers were traveling. One of her missed shots was going straight at Turner and setting her up for the volleyball spike.

I don't see a battered down player who is lacking in confidence; I see a player who is quite confident, but is getting a dose of reality of what it's like to play tier 1 college ball.

She is playing with low bball IQ, and does the same thing game in and game out. That needs to be coached out of her. She also extremely limited offensively. She is a poor outside shooter, has no midrange game other than a catch/shoot, and can't hit layups in traffic.

Of all of the guards, I'd say she has the least potential due to her poor form. At least Middleton and Jackson have nice looking shots that they can get off fairly quickly.

Reactions: 3 people
Two of Cooper's turnovers were traveling. One of her missed shots was going straight at Turner and setting her up for the volleyball spike.

I don't see a battered down player who is lacking in confidence; I see a player who is quite confident, but is getting a dose of reality of what it's like to play tier 1 college ball.

I agree. Letting her play street ball works fine when playing lower level teams, but "doing your own thing" will never work against high performing, smart teams.

Cooper desperately needs to be coached up to be more effective, and she needs to listen to and apply that coaching to her game.

She really is the future of the program when you consider the 2014, 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes. She NEEDS to become a superstar at her position.

Oh yea? Well I said it here first.... :p

Thank You ! :) Cooper to me is overrated and what`s so crazy about her jump shot she skips or hops before she shoots that side shot. The refs called traveling a few times last night.

Thank You ! armchair, I think playing Jackson would make the other teams come out of the zone, She can hit the three also get to the basket.

I watched her play in HS, a lot. She is a dynamic athlete. Very strong. Putting the ball in the basket is not even close to her strongest asset.

She is playing with low bball IQ, and does the same thing game in and game out. That needs to be coached out of her. She also extremely limited offensively. She is a poor outside shooter, has no midrange game other than a catch/shoot, and can't hit layups in traffic.

Of all of the guards, I'd say she has the least potential due to her poor form. At least Middleton and Jackson have nice looking shots that they can get off fairly quickly.

Amb3096 ! I agree and what i have seen of Cooper so far is that her shooting techniques is awful.

I agree. Letting her play street ball works fine when playing lower level teams, but "doing your own thing" will never work against high performing, smart teams.

Cooper desperately needs to be coached up to be more effective, and she needs to listen to and apply that coaching to her game.

She really is the future of the program when you consider the 2014, 2015 and 2016 recruiting classes. She NEEDS to become a superstar at her position.

It would be real nice if we had a shot at this young lady best pg in the country. Cooper not on her level,
Alexis Morris
Point Guard
CLASS: 2017

As I've pointed out before, expectations for Cooper were complete fantasies. She has a lot to learn. Any freshman point guard does. But she'll only learn so much on the bench. Giving her more playing time now might mean fewer wins this season, but more wins next year and the year after.

Here's another issue. If Cooper reads the boards and starts believing that the problem isn't her, but the coaching... well, then all is lost.

Reactions: 3 people
As I've pointed out before, expectations for Cooper were complete fantasies. She has a lot to learn. Any freshman point guard does. But she'll only learn so much on the bench. Giving her more playing time now might mean fewer wins this season, but more wins next year and the year after.

Here's another issue. If Cooper reads the boards and starts believing that the problem isn't her, but the coaching... well, then all is lost.

The question is whether she is the PG of the future, or is it Alexa?

If Alexa can come in and get the team in sync better than Te'a, then she should be getting the minutes. There's no sense in throwing away the season (and possibly next season) trying to get Cooper on board. She is by no means a proven commodity and her role on the team could very well be backup PG depending on who signs up for 2017 and if Andraya uses her final year of eligibility.

Regarding your last point, if she believes her own hype, then that's on her. Coaching may be an issue in getting her to improve, but she came in not able to shoot or pass. She can work to improve, or she can sit. Her choice.

If Alexa can come in and get the team in sync better than Te'a, then she should be getting the minutes. There's no sense in throwing away the season (and possibly next season) trying to get Cooper on board. She is by no means a proven commodity and her role on the team could very well be backup PG depending on who signs up for 2017 and if Andraya uses her final year of eligibility.

Regarding your last point, if she believes her own hype, then that's on her. Coaching may be an issue in getting her to improve, but she came in not able to shoot or pass. She can work to improve, or she can sit. Her choice.

Amb3096 ! Say no more

If Alexa can come in and get the team in sync better than Te'a, then she should be getting the minutes.

I see Alexa being a valuable role player and a good soldier, but I don't see her as the PG of the future.

Ms. Cooper has all the tools - she just needs the decision making and discretion to go with the talent. I think sitting her more will help her realize that she, like most freshman, has a TON to learn and apply before she can be trusted to fully take over the PG spot.

the biggest trouble with Cooper is she hasn't figured out what the refs allow on defense. She gets called for a foul if she even breathes on somebody. That gets her discombobulated, messes up the rotation and causes the whole offense to implode. If I was Holly, I'd get a few technicals called on me going to bat for my players, not let the refs off the hook for bad calls.

I see Alexa being a valuable role player and a good soldier, but I don't see her as the PG of the future.

Ms. Cooper has all the tools - she just needs the decision making and discretion to go with the talent. I think sitting her more will help her realize that she, like most freshman, has a TON to learn and apply before she can be trusted to fully take over the PG spot.

This is where our opinions differ. I am not impressed with Cooper. She is very, very raw. She's like the Jasmine Jones of point guards. She is athletic and explosive...a great athletic talent for sure, but her fundamental skills are weak; Alexa lacks top notch athleticism, but makes up for it with high basketball IQ and strong technique. Watching them play this season, Alexa has much better passing skills and court awareness. She is also one of the only players on the team who can make entry passes to the post on a somewhat consistent basis.

I say go all Darwin and let them duke it out. Play the one who makes the team better, and let the other one be back up.

VN Store

Back