Interesting game last night

meekfan

Ok, this is not a UCon bashing or UCon lovefest thread. If you watched that game last night you saw two teams with no quit in them. Its hard to believe the Mocs played as well as they did & still got blown out of their own building. I thought they played better last night than they did against us (and they played pretty damn well against us).

The one take away I had was the Yankees can sure play defense. It was a 'come to Jesus' epiphany watching them switch defenders & deny any easy lane to the basket.

Its reality check time - we have to bring our intensity up & play tougher D.

Reactions: 1 person
I watched the game also. What I found especially interesting was the 4th quarter.
As far as I could tell, uconn was playing with 1 starter, 2 freshman and 2 other bench players to start the quarter. Yet, when they were on offense, they seemed to have an idea, a system, a purpose of what they wanted to do with the ball. If it can be done with what was likely 5 players who never played in a game together, it can be done by us.

I watched the game also. What I found especially interesting was the 4th quarter.
As far as I could tell, uconn was playing with 1 starter, 2 freshman and 2 other bench players to start the quarter. Yet, when they were on offense, they seemed to have an idea, a system, a purpose of what they wanted to do with the ball. If it can be done with what was likely 5 players who never played in a game together, it can be done by us.

They have great coaching and we don't. I knew they would blow the Mocs out. Everyone did.:)

Reactions: 3 people
It's simple Uconn knows how to dominate a team and maintain it's momentum while Tennessee doesn't.. Honestly the last time I saw Tennessee just outright embarrass a good team was in 07 in the elite 8 against Ole Miss that was just a good old fashion a** whoopin

I was shocked that the #1 mighty UConn team made the trip to Chattanooga to even take the time to play, in their eyes, such a scrum low-life team as the Mocs that's way beneath them & would have no chance in hell to win anyway. It was over by the 2nd period.

Their conference is nothing but scrub teams lol

I was shocked that the #1 mighty UConn team made the trip to Chattanooga to even take the time to play, in their eyes, such a scrum low-life team as the Mocs that's way beneath them & would have no chance in hell to win anyway. It was over by the 2nd period.

Foster and Geno have been best buds for 40 some years. Foster gave Geno his first college coaching job at St Joseph's.

So really it's all Foster's fault. :matrix:

Reactions: 3 people
Foster and Geno have been best buds for 40 some years. Foster gave Geno his first college coaching job at St Joseph's.

So really it's all Foster's fault. :matrix:

Really? Gee, you just learn new stuff everyday. Funny how Geno didn't call his dogs (no disrespect here) off until it was already a won game by them. Geno should be call a shark because once he has blood in the water....

If the Lady Vols can't figure out how to penetrate a zone defense, they won't do anything this year. This team is loaded with talent, more so than any in recent memory, and they do nothing but stand around the perimeter. If Mercedes doesn't assert herself inside more, this team will struggle against even decent competition. The Pacific Coast trip coming up will not be pretty. I've been a Holly supporter for a while but I'm losing faith quick.

This Tennessee team struggled against Chatt and would look like a puny high school team playing against UConn. Every team knows our weakness and they exploit it like crazy.

Reactions: 2 people
Really? Gee, you just learn new stuff everyday. Funny how Geno didn't call his dogs (no disrespect here) off until it was already a won game by them. Geno should be call a shark because once he has blood in the water....

That's an interesting comment wtn. It looked like he played his bench the entire 4th quarter. I recall an espn commenter saying how his team doesn't have a lower gear to drop into. They only know how to play at 110%. He pulls them immediately if they slack off on the court. Just look at how they were diving onto the floor for loose balls - in the 4th quarter...

If only Holly could infuse that spirit into the Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
Congrats for her but all I did was state a fact the conference that Uconn plays in is filled with scrub teams compared to them.. Lets be literal what team within the American Ath. Conference actual poses a threat to UConn??????

My niece plays for Chattanooga, so don't be a dickhead.

Congrats for her but all I did was state a fact the conference that Uconn plays in is filled with scrub teams compared to them.. Lets be literal what team within the American Ath. Conference actual poses a threat to UConn??????

Sorry I thought you were referring to Chatt., my bad.

The starters averaged <25 minutes, the bench >15 minutes.

Auriemma's philosophy is that game time is earned in practice. His practices are famous for being brutal. How can you ask your players to bust their ass in practice and then sit them because they are playing well?

I was at the game last night, Uconn just has it so together, ever move there players make is by Geno plan on how to open it up for an open shot. They never look at the shot clock, just run the play. Geno never said don't quick shoot the ball, when the play gets you open just shoot the ball and don't wait till the 30 is about gone. Tennessee just stands around the first 25 then tried to get a shot. Other teams know that don't have to guard them for the first 25 because they know Holly want let them shoot the ball.

Uconn does tend to 'call of the dogs' in blow out games but they do not drop their intensity - they still play every possession with the intent of scoring and of preventing the other team from scoring. What they generally do is drop back and play half court defense rather than pressuring up the court, and they stop pushing the ball in transition and run deliberate half court offense.
Geno uses the game time to work on specific half court offensive sets in preparation for games later in the season where the transition chances become harder to get and where good execution of half court offense can be the difference between a win and a loss. He may experiment with new defensive concepts, or try variations of things that they have not work on as much in practice. And if a player is not performing up to his standards even in the waning moments of a blow out game, is not hustling after loose balls or rebounds, they will be pulled and receive a not so gentle refresher course in how basketball is supposed to be played.
The five starters averaged under 25 minutes last night, the five bench players (3 additional bench players were unavailable) averaged a little over 15 minutes - a pretty fair distribution of minutes.

That's an interesting comment wtn. It looked like he played his bench the entire 4th quarter. I recall an espn commenter saying how his team doesn't have a lower gear to drop into. They only know how to play at 110%. He pulls them immediately if they slack off on the court. Just look at how they were diving onto the floor for loose balls - in the 4th quarter...

If only Holly could infuse that spirit into the Vols.

I was trying to make a tongue-in-cheek statement really. I'm fully aware of how Geno does basketball. I watched the 1st half of the game and didn't see the last 2 quarters because I knew then that it was going to be a big blowout win for UConn. So, I'm not aware of what went on after the half & I don't really care about UConn's big thrilling win over Chattanooga. Thanks for your thoughts on the game anyway though.

So, what is the game plan for beating UCONN? I'm pretty sure they'd play us man to man defensively.

The lady vols looked like they too were going to put a 40 point plus victory on the mocs..anyhow, uconn looks like it has four in a row wrapped up..

The starters averaged <25 minutes, the bench >15 minutes.

Auriemma's philosophy is that game time is earned in practice. His practices are famous for being brutal. How can you ask your players to bust their ass in practice and then sit them because they are playing well?

Seriously. If you want hard proof of what a difference coaching makes, here it is: We stumble by the Mocs, winning by 2. UConn beat them last night by 48. 'Nuff said. UConn had 23 assists and shot 55 percent. What did we shoot against the Mocs--32 percent or thereabouts? I don't think we've had assist or shooting percentage numbers like those in 20 years. Difference between the best coach in the game and our third-rate coaching.

Geno is hard on his players. He does not tolerate mistakes. He is not pals with the players. I have seen a couple of his practices first hand, and they drill very hard and then drill again...and again. He gets angry and chews out players. If Geno were coaching the Vols, we'd be 30-50 percent better. Yes, they have a purpose on offense, which is to move the players and ball until someone--just about anyone--gets an open look, and then that player will shoot the ball, usually with confidence. We have a purpose too: our guards stand on the perimeter for 10 seconds dribbling the ball, watching Russell or Graves in the hope that they can get open, and then telegraph a pass; if they can't we pass the ball two or three times around the perimeter, then look inside again, and then we either throw the ball away or take a shot and miss. The way we play--and have played for many years--is really rather embarrassing.

Reactions: 9 people

Close to Knoxville. They know we play them too. So it is whuppin us by proxy.

VN Store

Back