Texas Game Recap

clkou

Sorry for the long post ... I've defended the coaching staff for long enough and today's game along with the other 3 to 4 years has finally exhausted my patience. I'm not saying we should necessarily “fire the coach”. The devil you know is often better than the one you don't. Ask Tennessee football fans both college and pro if in hindsight they'd fire Fisher or Fulmer. Unlike others, I don't think our recruiting is a big problem. I'm confident we'll sign KK or Dorie or both next year and be fine in the post for another 4 to 5 years. I just feel like where we are now is where we have been the past 4 years and is likely the top of where we will always be with this leadership and that's just not good enough in my opinion for the Lady Vols. GOOD coaches take a program and advance it FORWARD. They take good players and develop them so when they LEAVE, they are MUCH better when they ARRIVED. I am not seeing that.

Season – losses before January 1st
2015-2016 - lose to #8 Texas
2014-2015 - lose to unranked Chattanooga, lose to #6 Texas
2013-2014 - lose to #6 Stanford
2012-2013 - lose to unranked Chattanooga, #3 Baylor, #1 Stanford
2011-2012 - lose to unranked Virginia, # 1 Baylor, #4 Stanford

I won't pretend like the teams with Candace Parker and before were perfect because they lost some games too (none to unranked teams though) BUT you EXPECTED those teams to win all these games and they HAD a lot of quality wins to go with the occasional loss and they still looked like a quality team when they lost. Unfortunately we do not expect today's teams to win games like today. Most all of us were not feeling good about this game today for good reason due to questionable games against inferior competition. It's not about “wins” and “losses” per se and more so about HOW you look in the effort. We haven't looked good. Something different in a good way had to happen to win and unfortunately it didn't.

The offense is, has been, and sadly likely will continue to be very mediocre. It's not bad because of the players. It's bad because of the COACHES. There is no movement. There is no cohesiveness. There is no chemistry. I haven't played with my high school team in 25 years but I guarantee I could reunite with them tomorrow and show 10 times better effort and effectiveness because our offense had constant ball movement, screens, player movement without the ball, floor spacing, and we played together for 4 years solid and had chemistry. I STILL remember our man to man offense all these years later because we did it OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Every game with the Lady Vols it looks like they don't even have an offense. If the offense was bad one select year, then maybe we could blame the players. If it's bad EVERY year, it's because of the COACHES. And, if Holly is a defensive minded coach, FINE, admit it, and find an offensive minded assistant coach to run the offense. And, if that's what she's doing, FIRE the assistant coach and get a new one.

This game had a little slice of EVERYTHING to why we have been struggling: starting Reynolds and Jones instead of Diamond and Carter. Sitting Graves (31) Mercedes (34), and Diamond (30) AT ALL was a mistake this game. All 3 should have had 40 minutes next to their name if your goal was to win. I don't care if they were tired – suck it up. I don't care if they were in foul trouble. You get 5 fouls for a reason and they don't carry over to the next game. No one could score except Diamond: that's why you keep her in. No one except Mercedes could guard their post players: that's why you keep her in. Graves has been our best player in all the games: that's why you keep her in. Carter should have played 40 minutes too: 5 assists, 2 steals, and tied for 2nd leading scorer. I'm sick of reading comments about Carter shouldn't be playing. Carter should have her butt in the game. She's the best defender on the team. She values possessions. That's more than I can say about over half the team.

Let's talk about the shooting percentages. I don't think we are shooting bad as a team because we're unlucky or have bad shooters. We have bad shooting because the OFFENSIVE schemes are bad (arguably non-existent) and play to NO ONE's strengths. Over 75% of the time, it looks like this: point guard stands at the top of the key doing NOTHING for 5 seconds, dribble to one side and HAND THE BALL to the wing, look inside, force it in (turnover), or pass it back up top where there will likely be more standing around or dribbling for 5 seconds, and then EVENTUALLY someone has to try to get a shot – usually a BAD shot 1 vs. 1 style that will be reflected in our poor shooting %. Take these same players and run an actual offense that gets players open for good shots they are used to taking in practice and I'll bet our shooting percentages magically rise to where they should be.

Most of the time when we score, it's when the “play” breaks down or more to the point, the defense breaks down momentarily and allows a play to unfold. It's like happy accidents: not the fruits of sound strategy and practice paying off.

There's no reason to be standing around. They should have ONE zone offense and ONE man to man offense and as soon as you know which one to run (which should be as soon as you pass half court), you freakin' run it. It's not rocket science.

In CRUNCH time, the coaches call a timeout and put the ball in our CENTER's hand out of bounds and we turn it over. Why is our CENTER taking the ball out? Is that our best passer? I'd much rather have the CENTER ready to receive the ball like 6'7'' plus 3 feet of wing span in the air or a guard with good hands from another guard with good passing skills.

Turnovers? Well, we “only” had 16. Unfortunately, Mercedes had a turnover coming out party with 5 of her own. If she just has 2 instead of 5, we're at 12 for the game and probably win. If our players can make layups (seems like I counted at least 3 to 5 bunnies we missed and 2 in CRUNCH time) we probably win.

The epiphany for me that our coaching staff doesn't get it was when they pulled Diamond from the game after hitting 2 three pointers. It's another slice of a big pie. They had it in their mind for WHATEVER reason that she was coming out and did not have the dynamic foresight to realize that you leave a hot player with a hot hand in the game to hopefully continue her rhythm. It's like they are coaching from some laminated sheet with “Rules” scribbled on the top and they cannot break or deviate from the chart. I saw an interview with Mike Krzyzewski where he said he doesn't coach the same way every year. He changes his coaching style and approach based on his players. That's one of many reasons why he has had so much success at the college and Olympic level. When our coaching staff took Diamond out of the game in the first half after hitting 2 three pointers, that (among many examples) illustrates WHY they do not have success relative to what they've been given. They are NOT dynamic or play to our players' strengths.

Having said that, I do think there is a lot of room for this team to get better. I do think chemistry is not nearly where it could or should be. I do think several players are still on the mend like Diamond and Mercedes from having a year off. So, I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but I have lost confidence for our ceiling in terms of potential with our coaching staff AND I have lost all confidence that we will ever have even an “above average” offense simply because since Parker and Pat left, we haven't had one. I feel like success we have offensively will be IN SPITE of our coaching not because of it. When I was 13, we won the Summer Tennessee Junior League State Championship with a BAD coach, so it can be done. It caught up to us at Regionals unfortunately but I mention it as a glimmer of hope that some teams can rise above their leadership.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Yes, "women's basketball" - the winning-est, most successful program at the University of Tennessee in ALL sports.

Reactions: 2 people
Good insight. I agree wholeheartedly about the offense. I've never seen a team just stand around and do nothing for 30 seconds like our team does. And the passes are atrocious. They can't even hand the ball off without bobbling it. I keep hearing about Holly showed tapes of the the passing of the Boston Celtics from years back. The Boston Celtics never passed that bad, NEVER. One poster said it was like street ball out there. IMHO, street ball would be much better than this.

Good point about the Celtics video. I've heard that mentioned at least 5 times and I think the pink elephant in the room with that example is that the Celtics ran an offense where their superior passing could be utilized. Good passing doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's the byproduct of a good offensive scheme.

I don't think that DeShields is ready to play 40 minutes right now,whether it is from rust,being out last year or her legs are bothering her,I think the staff is taking it a bit easy on her,till they figure out how many minutes she can play,just remember it is a long season and they will want her to be in the best shape that she can be for the last part of the season and the start of the Tournament

other than having Russell out on the 3 point line,I thought the offense was doing OK, there were plenty of open shots to be made and the players didn't make them,I thought that the Lady Vols should of had a comfortable lead going into half time

I do think that CHW should be making some assistant coaches changes come this off season,there has to be a coach that is going to hold the players accountable for there on court play

but overall I think that CHW is doing a good job,you don't win 82% of your games with the Lady Vols schedule and be a bad coach,I do think she needs a better staff around her,as to who needs to be let go,I wouldn't know,but a shake up is needed or so I think any way

Oh and there is one more point to be added as to CHWs record,let's not forget about all the injures she has had to coach around every year,since she has taken over,just think what could have happened last year if Izzy had stayed healthy,of course it has been that way every year for CHW

Reactions: 1 person
clkou,

LVs did not play well but they could have easily won this game if they had been a little calmer and more composed in the stretch. Really, all is not lost.

I actually understood the substitution of Diamond. Her game fitness is still not where it needs to be. Yes, she hit 2 threes but she was also getting burned on defense. That was a section of the game, where the LVs were trading baskets and desperately needed to make some stops.

The offense was not working that bad. The Lvs had a lot of wide open jumps and decent looks in the paint but did not convert. Maybe something Holly is doing or not doing is responsible for the bad shooting but the offense created more than enough opportunities to score.

Go back and look at the game; we had stretches where there was movement and good passing but no pay-off.

In the short term, Mercedes needs to play stronger. She was badly outplayed today and lost too many rebounds because here opponents fought harder for the ball.

Graves often struggles against bigger players. She needs to take them off the dribble where her quickness can be asset against taller players.

I would put Carter back at the main point and take some pressure off of Cooper. She is looking more and more like a freshman which suggest that the pressure is getting to her. Work her in a bit more gradually.

My one beef with Holly is that she does not press more. This LV team is built for pressure defense, much more so than silky offense. In the last three minutes of the game, the LVs rattled Texas with the press. We have the depth (I hope Jasmine is not badly concussed) to get after teams from the opening tip.

This is the third thread started about today's loss and how sorry the coaches are.

Which poster will start thread number four on the same subjects?

Reactions: 2 people
This is the third thread started about today's loss and how sorry the coaches are.

Which poster will start thread number four on the same subjects?

Franklin, we really need one more thread on explaining how "Holly is the worst coach EVAH!" You know, just to make it clear and all.

Last edited:
To be clear, this is the first time I've really spoken ill of our coaching staff. The past several years I've basically been saying to give them a fair shake to see that their players and their vision can be realized or not. I haven't advocating anyone being fired (yet) except if we've had an assistant coach in charge of the offense the past 4 years.

I think that CHW is doing a good job,you don't win 82% of your games with the Lady Vols schedule and be a bad coach
It's not as simple as win/loss percentages. Coaches have to be judged with what they do with what they have. Who couldn't have coached the 1992 Olympic Dream team to Olympic gold? That same sentiment is true to an extent for any coach who has had the players that we've been blessed with so far. I'm not going to say 82% is good or bad. I'm just saying that I think the bar has been set and it's too low for the expectations that most fans have for the program AND what the program is capable of producing.

Offensively we struggle year after year. We are not developing players as well as we should. We are not demanding the excellence we should be demanding: valuing possessions, consistent defense, mental toughness, wanting it more than the opposition, and the like.

Defensively we are generally good enough to win most nights. Talent wise we have the players to win. But, there are major leaks that need plugged and gaps that need filled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I do agree with

"Offensively we struggle year after year. We are not developing players as well as we should. We are not demanding the excellence we should be demanding: valuing possessions, consistent defense, mental toughness, wanting it more than the opposition, and the like."

as to which one of her assistants is in charge of the Offensive game,I have no idea,but they need there cage rattled for sure and that is up to CHW to do the rattling,I think that is her biggest problem,not so much as to what she is doing,but the coaches around her

and you do have to admit,that if the Lady Vols had been shooting decent at all in the first half,the game wouldn't have been very close at all,that is on the players to make some shots,they were there to be had

and why Russell was out beyond the arcs,I have no idea,I do think that disrupted her game,she shouldn't be out of the paint to be setting up blocks like she was doing,she should be close to the basket and be set to either receive the ball or be blocking out to be in a good position to rebound the ball,wasn't it strange to see her out at the 3 point line playing defense ?

I would like to see them run a hi/lo post play with her and Graves and Graves be the one at the Foul line

of course that is my opinion from the VolNation armchair coaching crowd :)

no offense intended armchair :hi:

Good point about the Celtics video. I've heard that mentioned at least 5 times and I think the pink elephant in the room with that example is that the Celtics ran an offense where their superior passing could be utilized. Good passing doesn't exist in a vacuum. It's the byproduct of a good offensive scheme.

Please forget the Celtics of old. That's part of Holly's problem: she's stuck too far in the past. If she wanted to better serve her team with a modern example of how to move on offense, pass the ball and score (in bunches), look no further than the Golden State Warriors. The ladies can even watch in glorious HD, what a concept.

We don't have a Steph Curry (who does?), but we do have a dynamic playmaker in Diamond DeShields and once Te'a settles down and gets Holly's advice out of her head, she has the potential to possess a great handle. Her shooting will come around eventually. She proved her ability in the first game when she was performing off pure instinct, not antiquated coaching.

Sorry for the long post ... I've defended the coaching staff for long enough and today's game along with the other 3 to 4 years has finally exhausted my patience. I'm not saying we should necessarily “fire the coach”. The devil you know is often better than the one you don't. Ask Tennessee football fans both college and pro if in hindsight they'd fire Fisher or Fulmer. Unlike others, I don't think our recruiting is a big problem. I'm confident we'll sign KK or Dorie or both next year and be fine in the post for another 4 to 5 years. I just feel like where we are now is where we have been the past 4 years and is likely the top of where we will always be with this leadership and that's just not good enough in my opinion for the Lady Vols. GOOD coaches take a program and advance it FORWARD. They take good players and develop them so when they LEAVE, they are MUCH better when they ARRIVED. I am not seeing that.

I won't pretend like the teams with Candace Parker and before were perfect because they lost some games too (none to unranked teams though) BUT you EXPECTED those teams to win all these games and they HAD a lot of quality wins to go with the occasional loss and they still looked like a quality team when they lost. Unfortunately we do not expect today's teams to win games like today. Most all of us were not feeling good about this game today for good reason due to questionable games against inferior competition. It's not about “wins” and “losses” per se and more so about HOW you look in the effort. We haven't looked good. Something different in a good way had to happen to win and unfortunately it didn't.

The offense is, has been, and sadly likely will continue to be very mediocre. It's not bad because of the players. It's bad because of the COACHES. There is no movement. There is no cohesiveness. There is no chemistry. I haven't played with my high school team in 25 years but I guarantee I could reunite with them tomorrow and show 10 times better effort and effectiveness because our offense had constant ball movement, screens, player movement without the ball, floor spacing, and we played together for 4 years solid and had chemistry. I STILL remember our man to man offense all these years later because we did it OVER AND OVER AND OVER. Every game with the Lady Vols it looks like they don't even have an offense. If the offense was bad one select year, then maybe we could blame the players. If it's bad EVERY year, it's because of the COACHES. And, if Holly is a defensive minded coach, FINE, admit it, and find an offensive minded assistant coach to run the offense. And, if that's what she's doing, FIRE the assistant coach and get a new one.

This game had a little slice of EVERYTHING to why we have been struggling: starting Reynolds and Jones instead of Diamond and Carter. Sitting Graves (31) Mercedes (34), and Diamond (30) AT ALL was a mistake this game. All 3 should have had 40 minutes next to their name if your goal was to win. I don't care if they were tired – suck it up. I don't care if they were in foul trouble. You get 5 fouls for a reason and they don't carry over to the next game. No one could score except Diamond: that's why you keep her in. No one except Mercedes could guard their post players: that's why you keep her in. Graves has been our best player in all the games: that's why you keep her in. Carter should have played 40 minutes too: 5 assists, 2 steals, and tied for 2nd leading scorer. I'm sick of reading comments about Carter shouldn't be playing. Carter should have her butt in the game. She's the best defender on the team. She values possessions. That's more than I can say about over half the team.

Let's talk about the shooting percentages. I don't think we are shooting bad as a team because we're unlucky or have bad shooters. We have bad shooting because the OFFENSIVE schemes are bad (arguably non-existent) and play to NO ONE's strengths. Over 75% of the time, it looks like this: point guard stands at the top of the key doing NOTHING for 5 seconds, dribble to one side and HAND THE BALL to the wing, look inside, force it in (turnover), or pass it back up top where there will likely be more standing around or dribbling for 5 seconds, and then EVENTUALLY someone has to try to get a shot – usually a BAD shot 1 vs. 1 style that will be reflected in our poor shooting %. Take these same players and run an actual offense that gets players open for good shots they are used to taking in practice and I'll bet our shooting percentages magically rise to where they should be.

Most of the time when we score, it's when the “play” breaks down or more to the point, the defense breaks down momentarily and allows a play to unfold. It's like happy accidents: not the fruits of sound strategy and practice paying off.

There's no reason to be standing around. They should have ONE zone offense and ONE man to man offense and as soon as you know which one to run (which should be as soon as you pass half court), you freakin' run it. It's not rocket science.

In CRUNCH time, the coaches call a timeout and put the ball in our CENTER's hand out of bounds and we turn it over. Why is our CENTER taking the ball out? Is that our best passer? I'd much rather have the CENTER ready to receive the ball like 6'7'' plus 3 feet of wing span in the air or a guard with good hands from another guard with good passing skills.

Turnovers? Well, we “only” had 16. Unfortunately, Mercedes had a turnover coming out party with 5 of her own. If she just has 2 instead of 5, we're at 12 for the game and probably win. If our players can make layups (seems like I counted at least 3 to 5 bunnies we missed and 2 in CRUNCH time) we probably win.

The epiphany for me that our coaching staff doesn't get it was when they pulled Diamond from the game after hitting 2 three pointers. It's another slice of a big pie. They had it in their mind for WHATEVER reason that she was coming out and did not have the dynamic foresight to realize that you leave a hot player with a hot hand in the game to hopefully continue her rhythm. It's like they are coaching from some laminated sheet with “Rules” scribbled on the top and they cannot break or deviate from the chart. I saw an interview with Mike Krzyzewski where he said he doesn't coach the same way every year. He changes his coaching style and approach based on his players. That's one of many reasons why he has had so much success at the college and Olympic level. When our coaching staff took Diamond out of the game in the first half after hitting 2 three pointers, that (among many examples) illustrates WHY they do not have success relative to what they've been given. They are NOT dynamic or play to our players' strengths.

Having said that, I do think there is a lot of room for this team to get better. I do think chemistry is not nearly where it could or should be. I do think several players are still on the mend like Diamond and Mercedes from having a year off. So, I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but I have lost confidence for our ceiling in terms of potential with our coaching staff AND I have lost all confidence that we will ever have even an “above average” offense simply because since Parker and Pat left, we haven't had one. I feel like success we have offensively will be IN SPITE of our coaching not because of it. When I was 13, we won the Summer Tennessee Junior League State Championship with a BAD coach, so it can be done. It caught up to us at Regionals unfortunately but I mention it as a glimmer of hope that some teams can rise above their leadership.

{Turnovers? Well, we “only” had 16. Unfortunately, Mercedes had a turnover coming out party with 5 of her own. If she just has 2 instead of 5, we're at 12 for the game and probably win. If our players can make layups}
Most of her turnover was passes at her feet, can't throw her the ball that low.

I pretty much agree with this whole assessment. It is pretty obvious a team plays based on how they practice. Does anyone think Geno's teams practice poorly and then play well? It's coaching 101. And, it's not just their movements and their schemes because Pat didn't have great schemes. It is their fundamentals. They are poor fundamentally. Holly is probably a bad practice coach, although I've never watched their practice and certainly a bad game coach. And, you can talk about winning percentage all you want ,but their winning percentage against top 10 opponents needs to be at least 50%, and I can only remember one game Holly has won against a top 10 team.

And, cikou is being kind because he is not pointing out all the losses to ND, USC and Maryland the last few years.

We are kind of like Rutgers now in women's college basketball. We play a lot of big games against highly ranked teams but never win.

Holly's assessment after the game, "We've just got to get better, we've got to stop fouling and turning over the basketball." My comment-"It is how you practice Holly."

Reactions: 3 people
clkou - nice analysis. This game was just a terrible exhibition of incompetence. I don't even know where to start. . . Our guard play was terrible, shooting was terrible and what was with the foul shooting? After unimpressive wins over mediocre (at best) teams so far and now this loss, my expectations for a great season are in the toilet.

clkou,

LVs did not play well but they could have easily won this game if they had been a little calmer and more composed in the stretch. Really, all is not lost.

I actually understood the substitution of Diamond. Her game fitness is still not where it needs to be. Yes, she hit 2 threes but she was also getting burned on defense. That was a section of the game, where the LVs were trading baskets and desperately needed to make some stops.

The offense was not working that bad. The Lvs had a lot of wide open jumps and decent looks in the paint but did not convert. Maybe something Holly is doing or not doing is responsible for the bad shooting but the offense created more than enough opportunities to score.

Go back and look at the game; we had stretches where there was movement and good passing but no pay-off.

In the short term, Mercedes needs to play stronger. She was badly outplayed today and lost too many rebounds because here opponents fought harder for the ball.

Graves often struggles against bigger players. She needs to take them off the dribble where her quickness can be asset against taller players.

I would put Carter back at the main point and take some pressure off of Cooper. She is looking more and more like a freshman which suggest that the pressure is getting to her. Work her in a bit more gradually.

My one beef with Holly is that she does not press more. This LV team is built for pressure defense, much more so than silky offense. In the last three minutes of the game, the LVs rattled Texas with the press. We have the depth (I hope Jasmine is not badly concussed) to get after teams from the opening tip.

I agree with you about Graves i have said this for 4 years now, She do not have the ability to shoot over the more taller and athletic players. As for Carter she is not a point and Holly is hurting her shooting ability by playing her so much there. She can create her own shot.

I keep hearing about Holly showed tapes of the the passing of the Boston Celtics from years back.

You have to be joking, this is how Holly teaches offense? No wonder this team has no clue. Maybe she can put on Hoosiers and teach them the Old Picket Fence.

Or maybe if she wants to show them what an offense SHOULD look like, show them tapes of UConn....

...and why Russell was out beyond the arcs,I have no idea,I do think that disrupted her game,she shouldn't be out of the paint to be setting up blocks like she was doing,she should be close to the basket and be set to either receive the ball or be blocking out to be in a good position to rebound the ball,wasn't it strange to see her out at the 3 point line playing defense ?..:

I wondered about that also, and I have no inside information but I assume that part of the reason was that Texas for the most part was running a 4 guard offense along with the tall center. This was giving Graves trouble on her defensive end. Pulling Russell out of the paint may have been intended to try and pull the Texas center away from the basket and allow Graves to work on the smaller player guarding her. Regardless, it didn't work.

Last edited:
You have to be joking, this is how Holly teaches offense? No wonder this team has no clue. Maybe she can put on Hoosiers and teach them the Old Picket Fence.

Or maybe if she wants to show them what an offense SHOULD look like, show them tapes of UConn....

Sigh...:unsure: With a sagging heart, I have to say that it does become awfully hard to keep believing in the Wizard after Toto has pulled the curtain back. Hope this analogy turns out to be 100% inaccurate. :cray:

They got 27 foul shots to our 11. You wonder how that happens in a basketball game since they were banging as hard as we were. Second they outscored us 18 to 12 from the 3 point line.
This is two stats you have to win to beat top ten teams. We did outrebound them 45 to 41.
We got up 16 more shots than they did and shot an ugly 21 for 69. Take Diamond off and you got 12 for 47 which is about 26 percent for the rest of the team. That can't happen and it is up to Holly to figure out an offense where it never happens again. If only three players on the team take all the shots you can't have 8 players shooting 25 percent total while one player shoots 41.

Watching film of a 1980 something basketball team is not what sounds like a good idea....Didn't even have a 3 point line then...Was there a shot clock then?

The UConn film does sound better.

VN Store

Back