Holly Warlick should step down after this season

tennesseekilt

Although I've had my reservations, prior to now I've refrained from criticizing the LV coaching staff, especially since I had high hopes for this season particularly with the arrival of DeShields. However, as the season has played out it is becoming harder and harder to maintain hope that Warlick can get it done at UT. Not only is she striking out on the high-ranked recruits we used to get with regularity, she is also laying eggs on the court with what is likely to be, if things don't change, the last crop of elite players we get at UT.

Coach Warlick has served the University with distinction, but it is time for her to be our "Bill Guthridge" and step down so we can hire someone (Kim Mulkey anyone??) who can take the reigns of this once-proud program and get the job done.

The ladies game seems to be more "civilized" in that coaches typically don't get canned like they do on the men's side, so our only hope is that HW sees the writing on the wall and does the right thing. The UT admin definitely won't.

This conclusion isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to the loss today. It's been a long time coming...

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 people
I too have refrained from criticizing Holly. I've said this is the year to judge her off of. It's not going well.

Reactions: 2 people
Said it last year and I'll say it this year- Holly sucks. Time for her to go. Actually, I take that back, it was time for her to go last year.

Reactions: 12 people
Holly if you love this team the way you say step down and let them get a real coach in here....the girls are playing out of control and looks like back yard basketball...you are a good assistant but not head coach material ....the only reason you got the job was Pat gave it to you...you are letting teams not even ranked play down to the wire with you.....Geno was beat this team by 40 points with you coaching it....please step down

Reactions: 3 people
Holly is in her third season and by far her most talented team and her continued presence has appeared to have a substantial detrimental effect on the program.

Reactions: 1 person
Although I've had my reservations, prior to now I've refrained from criticizing the LV coaching staff, especially since I had high hopes for this season particularly with the arrival of DeShields. However, as the season has played out it is becoming harder and harder to maintain hope that Warlick can get it done at UT. Not only is she striking out on the high-ranked recruits we used to get with regularity, she is also laying eggs on the court with what is likely to be, if things don't change, the last crop of elite players we get at UT.

Coach Warlick has served the University with distinction, but it is time for her to be our "Bill Guthridge" and step down so we can hire someone (Kim Mulkey anyone??) who can take the reigns of this once-proud program and get the job done.

The ladies game seems to be more "civilized" in that coaches typically don't get canned like they do on the men's side, so our only hope is that HW sees the writing on the wall and does the right thing. The UT admin definitely won't.

This conclusion isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to the loss today. It's been a long time coming...

Any Mulkey but Kim Mulkey. There's a perfectly fine coach at Oklahoma :)olol:) that comes with her own 6'9" Mulkey...call her.

It sounds like you've been drinking more than Kool-aid.

Nope just sick of having great talent and losing. A lot of people are. It's sad to see. Are you ok with this coaching? It's the same as last year with better players. We are going to get mopped up by better teams. And Texas is not one of the top teams.

Reactions: 4 people
No way should any of the players be castigated for this loss, we have good players. All the right ingredients does not insure the cake will be good, you must also have a recipe, Holly has no recipe. It is not the ingredients, it is the cook.

Reactions: 5 people
I cannot watch the lady vols play anymore this season it's bad so let's have some fun! If you could pick the next lady vol coach who would it be?

I would go with Niele Ivey from Notre Dame...played pg under Muffet won a NC, has been under Muffet for 7 plus seasons as a coach...knows the ND offense in and out, and is the ND recruiting coordinator! We have all seen what the ND offense does in person plenty of times....just think with the talent we have what she could do with it

Niele Ivey Bio :: Notre Dame Women's Basketball :: UND.COM :: The Official Site of Notre Dame Athletics

Reactions: 4 people
Serious question. Attendance has been gradually declining, and I don't see that changing with the product on the court. Aside from that, how do we let the "powers that be" know how dissatisfied fans are with the direction of the program?

Or does administration have such little regard for women's basketball, IS there anything else that can be done? With the level of underachievement, and NO help on the way, this is the worst shape the program has been in since.... ever? The longer it takes before action is taken, the deeper I fear the hole will get....

Reactions: 2 people
Best thing to do in my mind is just back the players, support the program, and let the attendance and media attention sort out the remainder of the issues, whatever they may be. If they fix things, great. If they don't fix things, well, then make a change. But let's just remember to separate our sadness for what we lost when Pat had to step down, from our disappointment from losing basketball games. Part of what makes Tennessee different from most places is the support -- not the blind support, of course, but the overall support. If we lose that, which is really the lasting legacy of what Pat made here, then we really will have lost everything she built. I don't want that to happen.

Reactions: 5 people
Pile driver or post-hole digger. Either one epitomizes what Warlick has done in her tenure. Digging us a deep hole we will have to climb out from.

Make a pledge not to attend the games unless the coach is fired and replaced with a younger and more aggressive coach that can recruit.

VN Store

Back