Why Posts Refuse To "Chin Up" The Ball...

hokievol12

The color analyst, former Vol, Steve Hamer, commented several times today about Mercedes and Bashaara handling the ball below their waist and letting the midgets and dwarfs on opposing teams steal the ball or tie them up...not holding the ball high to avoid a turnover. Is this coaching failure or player carelessness? Bashaara is a senior and should be doing this in her sleep! Mercedes is a RS sophomore...but should be aware of holding the ball above reaching opponents hands...never putting the ball on the floor before a shot or after a rebound. Fundamentals seem to be absent in many of the "little" things this team does...13 steals today by scrappy Albany guards! And just when I thought this team couldn't possibly turn the ball over more...they turn the ball over 21 times...setting dubious season high records of ineptitude. "Pre-Season" is over...Texas will turn these careless passes into easy points in a hurry...Sunday afternoon could be a disaster if this circus continues. Rebounding and boxing out on the boards today were subpar...against a team with far less height than Texas.

Reactions: 4 people
they have been bad to put the ball on the floor before a shot for a long while now,they need to keep the ball high and use there height better

The color analyst, former Vol, Steve Hamer, commented several times today about Mercedes and Bashaara handling the ball below their waist and letting the midgets and dwarfs on opposing teams steal the ball or tie them up...not holding the ball high to avoid a turnover. Is this coaching failure or player carelessness? Bashaara is a senior and should be doing this in her sleep! Mercedes is a RS sophomore...but should be aware of holding the ball above reaching opponents hands...never putting the ball on the floor before a shot or after a rebound.

When you watch post players across different teams (including the pros), you will find that often do bring the ball down. Of course, when they get tied up everyone goes, Keep the ball way UP HIGH, but that is not always possible; there are balancing and positioning issues. Heck, even Kareem would drop the ball down before launching his legendary sky hook. Go out on a basketball court and see how much you can actually do just holding the ball UP HIGH. T

Reactions: 5 people
I thought Hamer did a good job as an announcer. He has a nice voice, a good personality and he provided some technical analysis that was really on point. I was pleasantly surprised and proud of him.

I really like having some of these former players provide the analysis. And as much as I like the ladies I think having a men's player announce our women's games is good sometimes since they will be more willing to be critical of certain aspects of play and can give a different perspective. It would be hard for Massengale for instance to really be objective about her former teammates or coach.

When he said to chin the ball he was saying it should have been done in the context of the play he was describing and in plays like that one. I don't think he meant it to be a blanket statement. And in the one particular case when he criticized Mercedes for it he was exactly right.

Reactions: 3 people
he did a lot better than a lot of announcers do,when there calling the womens game,Dearstone is a good play by play announcer,he definitely needs a color announcer or what ever the side kick is called

I thought Hamer did a good job as an announcer. He has a nice voice, a good personality and he provided some technical analysis that was really on point. I was pleasantly surprised and proud of him.

I really like having some of these former players provide the analysis. And as much as I like the ladies I think having a men's player announce our women's games is good sometimes since they will be more willing to be critical of certain aspects of play and can give a different perspective. It would be hard for Massengale for instance to really be objective about her former teammates or coach.

When he said to chin the ball he was saying it should have been done in the context of the play he was describing and in plays like that one. I don't think he meant it to be a blanket statement. And in the one particular case when he criticized Mercedes for it he was exactly right.

The question is, do you think Holly will hire him to at least coach the post and wing players? I have seen very little evidence that we are teaching Russell how to play post in an aggressive manner.

The question is, do you think Holly will hire him to at least coach the post and wing players? I have seen very little evidence that we are teaching Russell how to play post in an aggressive manner.
Wait a minute, if we hire Hammer, what does Dean do, I know, nothing, what he does now!

has Hammer been offered a job ? and they would probably want him as GA to start with,but I don't know if such a thing has even been discussed

VN Store

Back