Game Thread Lady Vols vs Texas

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
Date: Sunday, Nov. 29, 2015
Time: 2:30 p.m. ET

the game will be Televised on

ESPN

which means the stream will be on

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN

you can listen here

University of Tennessee powered by College Sports Live or

Cumulus | WNML-AF

the Lady Vols are ranked 4th in the AP Top 25 Poll and 5th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

Texas is ranked 8th in the AP Top 25 Poll and 8th in the USA Today Coaches Poll

this will be the Lady Vols stiffest competition so far this year,it is time for them to cut down on the turnovers and improve there perimeter shooting and make some sound Basketball decisions, especially on the Offensive side of the ball

as all ways Go Lady Vols :clapping:

Reactions: 3 people
I have figured out what is wrong with the Lady Vols so far this season,it is all my fault,I have been forgetting to put the Lady Vols Logo in the thread title,hopefully this will fix the problem

and if it doesn't,it may well be time to break the picture out VolFan :)

Reactions: 1 person
I hope Dunbar and DeShields are OK,the injury bug doesn't need to get started this early in the season,Nared all ready has a broke hand

Lady Vols by 10. Deshields coming out party!

Russell will have to be on her game because Texas has, I believe two 6'5" players and one 6'7". Two of them are very physical. I hope we take our game up and beyond what Texas has to offer. We have the talent we just need to use our heads and cut down on the turnovers.

this will be a game where another tall post player will be needed teacherdean ,I didn't know Texas had that many tall players ,we shall see how well Russell will be against a physical post player

this will be a game where another tall post player will be needed teacherdean ,I didn't know Texas had that many tall players ,we shall see how well Russell will be against a physical post player

I don't think two of them were highly recruited this is why I would like Holly to sign one of the unsigned 8 post. I would like for someone to work with Russell because, as one of the announcers said, Russell does not know how to position herself for rebounds. If she ever learns that, she will chip in a lot of points. I also wonder why we don't throw the ball high where only she can jump up and get the ball, especially in games where she is taller than the players guarding her. Way too many balls are thrown to her waist low or bounced in. With her height and athletic ability she has what it takes to control a game.

Reactions: 2 people
Texas by 5-10 points

First real test of the season. If Lady Vols continues to turn the ball over at the rate we have, and play like the last 4 games, Texas by 12-16.

We could easily be 1-4 right now. Texas game is going to show us what to expect this season. Are we contenders or pretenders with a high preseason ranking? Right now, I'd say pretenders. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Redshirt Dunbar and Nared? :)

I think Dunbar will end up being the one Redshirted this season (especially now since she was in a walking boot after this game) I don't know how serious her injury is but if the plan is to play her at the stretch 4 next season we will certainly need to coach her up to be able to play that spot because she has struggled so far

Personally we dont need her or Nared this year, if Carter and Reynolds were good. Mane that option of redshirting both is so ideal.

Yeah, Texas will be a good test.

Last edited:
I think Dunbar will end up being the one Redshirted this season (especially now since she was in a walking boot after this game) I don't know how serious her injury is but if the plan is to play her at the stretch 4 next season we will certainly need to coach her up to be able to play that spot because she has struggled so far

Where is this redshirt talk coming from? Has Holly said anything about it? Has any info been released re Dunbar's status, i.e. is she out for the rest of the season?

Imani Boyette (Her brother was a first round draft pick in the NBA and her mom & aunt played at USC and in the WNBA) she is extremely talented and was the 11th overall recruit in the 2012 class (same class as Graves, Breana Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, Andrya Carter, Jasmine Jones, Tiffany Mitchell, Ariel Powers, Morgan Tuck, and so on) so don't let it fool us and she can dunk (although she has yet to do if in a college game). I hope we don't think our efforts against the other teams so far will work against a team like Texas because we could be looking at a huge loss and they beat us last year (without her might I add because she was injured) and went on to be ranked as high as number 3 in the country I believe

I hope Dunbar and DeShields are OK,the injury bug doesn't need to get started this early in the season,Nared all ready has a broke hand

I think the team will play better when Nared come back, With Nared, Russell, Graves up front you are talking about a lot of offensive rebounds. Move DeShields to the 2 and now you have a lineup that should be able to put some points on the board. Right now play has been pathetic by some of the players.

they should be Pat,we will finally see what CHW plans on doing the rest of the season rotation wise,I would think,there probably won't be any of the whole sale platooning going on for this one

This game will be a test, Texas had four days to make our offense look not good, what good teams will do to us all season, now our players will have to make plays, to win.

We only have one day to prepare, if you don't think that plays a part. You are foolish, hopefully our ladies have their legs, getting to the rim attacking requires legs, energy, but also effort.

We have a few things we need to fix, but a game every other day doesn't allow that, our ladies are just playing, maybe a few plays, which the other team knows, one thing we have are leaders who hate to lose, and we're getting mentally tougher.

You know this group will be in the gym, as soon as they get the time. Lady Vols by 10.

Where is this redshirt talk coming from? Has Holly said anything about it? Has any info been released re Dunbar's status, i.e. is she out for the rest of the season?

Wishful thinkin' Lady Vols tend to always err on the side of caution, which I like they take no chances with the players health and both Dunbar plays the 3 & 4, Nared 2, 3, 4. Those positions are fine if Diamond, plays like a first team All American. And if Jasmine improves, she's shaking off rust too.

Texas always has physical basketball teams so the Lady Volunteers will have to match them on the glass in order to make it a close game.

So far every team has played us zone because man for man we were "on paper" a better team plus we haven't responded well to the zone. I'd be interested to see what Texas does because they seem like the type of team that would like to challenge us man per man but, on the other hand, it seems like zone would be the way to go until we prove we can handle it.

A busy week for Tennessee continues, as Holly Warlick's squad hosts its third of three games (Chattanooga, UAlbany, Texas) in this calendar week.

Tennessee is 1-0 vs. ranked teams this season, defeating #25 Syracuse, 57-55, on Nov. 20, and the teams the Lady Vols have played thus far are a combined 16-6 through Nov. 27.

Texas will play its first ranked team of 2015-16 when it comes to Knoxville, and the Longhorns have faced squads that are a combined 4-14.

Let's see if quality of competition pays off.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back