Is it true Holly doesn't want this team to run?

LVJeff

Is it true Holly doesn't want this team to run? I have seen that alluded to in several posts but I have not heard Holly say it (But then I haven't listened to her interviews).

If she doesn't want this team to run, why not?

True or not. Last night during the game I saw her plenty of times motioning for them to speed up and get down the floor on an in bound play.

Last edited:
Is it true Holly doesn't want this team to run? I have seen that alluded to in several posts but I have not heard Holly say it (But then I haven't listened to her interviews).

If she doesn't want this team to run, why not?

The strategy typically is if you have a very tall talented center like Russell you want to slow the game down. If she can block some shots and get an outlet out to a streaking guard then yes you speed it up. However, Russell can run now. She is pretty athletic. And, we can substitute in Moore and rotate Graves who can run too. (I personally think Graves could run the whole game.) A shorter team with a lot of guards typically wants to run. Our team has a tall center plus a lot of guards so to me the strategy would be run, run run.

I agree. Thus, my confusion re those posts that alluded to Holly wanting to slow it down.

She may not want to but the team certainly is. I think she sends a mixed message with the term don't quick shoot the ball. On the men's side Barnes says get it up in seven seconds and the first open shot let it fly. His team can't play defense like the Lady Vols but they have put points on the board.
Second we were walking it up a lot last night maybe that is not Holly maybe that is the team not listening to her.

I agree. Thus, my confusion re those posts that alluded to Holly wanting to slow it down.

I think Holly wants the team to wait on Russell to set up and then feed her the ball in the paint every time. Many of the fans contention is with all the guards we have don't wait on Russell. Get the ball down the court and get a shot off. Doesn't matter if Russell gets down the floor at least she will back to defend.

She may not want to but the team certainly is. I think she sends a mixed message with the term don't quick shoot the ball. On the men's side Barnes says get it up in seven seconds and the first open shot let it fly. His team can't play defense like the Lady Vols but they have put points on the board.
Second we were walking it up a lot last night maybe that is not Holly maybe that is the team not listening to her.

You may be onto something there. I've wondered why Holly likes Reynolds so much. She is an average player. Yet Holly praises her often referring to how she "pushes tempo". Holly sees a different Reynolds than I do. Excepting the occasional breakaway, Reynolds barely breaks into a trot bringing the ball up.

First, if you don't believe it was said, you probably need to rewatch the second game of the season and listen to the announcers more closely. They would have received their information from coaching interviews pre-game.

Second, you can see the half court emphasis from the sets they use on offense as well as the lack of full court pressure on D. The offensive sets usually include a double post - that is not the normal line-up for transition teams. They do not run some form of a motion offense or dibble/drive, which are typical for transition teams. They also are not pressuring the ball full court for more than a few minutes per game. Finally if that doesn't help, look at the score and shooting stats. They are indicative of at least one zone defense team that forces outside shooting against a team that cannot shoot from the outside, which transition teams are usually able to do. Transition teams make bunnies and three's.

What I am seeing is Holly's infatuation with the Celtics of old with no dribbling and a lot of passing in the half set - which Carolyn Peck pointed out - as well as a controlled fast break offense. That is not transition. See Rick Barnes offense for transition.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought CHW was doing it against the teams they played ? just because she thought it would give them a better chance to win

...What I am seeing is Holly's infatuation with the Celtics of old with no dribbling and a lot of passing in the half set - which Carolyn Peck pointed out - as well as a controlled fast break offense. That is not transition. See Rick Barnes offense for transition.

As for the LV's, I've seen a lot of dribbling, very little effective passing, and few fast breaks. As for the Celtics of old - how old do you mean? I watched the Houdini of the Hardwood and company run their opponents off the floor.

The basic breakdown of the team is number one someone must step up and be a reliable perimeter shooter or were going to be in a lot of close games that go either way. Teams can clog off the inside enough where you either have a lot of turnovers for trying to force or you have the ability to knock down the open perimeter shot which opens up the inside.
So far we've struggled because no one except maybe Cooper has made the big outside shot. We make four or five out there in a row then the inside opens up and we roll to a double digit victory.
Right now 6 of 36 by the guards want win many games. I hope it is just a bad couple of games and players will find their shot and help the team.
I keep thinking about the Maryland game last year when the outside shooting was much like it is now and we scored 48 points. This team plays great defense and should be putting up 80 ppg hopefully they find the balance they need to do that against the top competition.

Number two when we get the seven to nine point lead play defense like the game is tied. We went out to leads last night and the defense gave them back rather quickly. Were a great defensive team that relaxes at certain points during a game. If we bring full pressure for the entire game teams are going to shoot in the thirties every night. Syracuse was shooting 45 percent until we clamped down really started covering their 3 point shooters aggressively and they ended up shooting 36 percent. That last five minutes was tough nosed defense and it had to be because we scored very little ourselves.
So as a defensive team we are the number four team on offense I would say around 100.

I'm not sold on Coopers 3 point shot yet Volfan,she is jacking them up,but not making many of them and I agree on the Defensive play,don't let up is what bothers me

of course it is awful early in the season and they will get better the more games they play

I thought that Russell was looking a bit gassed late in the 4th Quarter

I'm not sold on Coopers 3 point shot yet Volfan,she is jacking them up,but not making many of them and I agree on the Defensive play,don't let up is what bothers me

of course it is awful early in the season and they will get better the more games they play

Yes she took several bad shots last night. The one she made was huge at the end of the third quarter. I don't think she is a great point shooter but could make 35 percent if she took the right shots. Some of her shots were ridiculous last night.

It is looking like last season all will come down to what our percentage is on the perimeter. If we make 10 of 36 instead of 6 of 36 we win by double digits. It is a concern that these five star players can't make a perimeter shot. I saw Reynolds make like seven three pointers in Italy now she can't throw it in the ocean. Diamond has never been a great three point shooter but she was dynamic on the mid-range shot am really surprised she hasn't hit more of those.

Russell played 35 minutes, so got 5 minutes of rest. That seems too much, no. I too thought she looked winded at times last night. With our depth there is no reason why she can't rest 10 minutes a night; we just play a smaller lineup. Russell is a good player who will improve but she is nowhere near a dominant player. We've got some players who can run the court, and if we have breaks we should take them. Maybe Warlick is loath to take her out because she needs the big girl to cover for our otherwise shaky offensive execution.

I think, and hope, Holly is playing Mercedes so much early in the season to season her and build her stamina for the long haul. For her size and past feet issues, she's holding up well. This is encouraging because next year she's going to have more pressure to perform with Bash and Nia gone and no recruited posts coming to the rescue.

Also, Diamond is not healthy enough yet for a fast-pace tempo. Watch her run, guys. She's rusty and still struggling with shin and leg issues. She'll work through this in time and become the stalwart we witnessed at UNC. Te'a will be fine. She has star power written all over her. She's the best penetrating pg we've had in ages. Be patient and watch. She won't disappoint.

The bottom line on this team thus far is they are playing at a level way below what was expected. The reasons for that seems to be a very inconsistent offense. I think the defense is playing at a consistent level the offense no where near what this many highly rated players should bring to the floor.

VN Store

Back